AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-11, 15:19   Link #221
Shadow5YA

Two poorly animated episodes in a row at the beginning of the season... this can't be intentional, can it?

I really hope Brains Base doesn't think they can get away with this just because the series is dialogue heavy with no action.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:11   Link #222
Qilin
Romanticist

Beyond initial expectations, I found the first episode to be a fairly interesting watch. It helps that Hachiman isn't some cookie-cutter LN MC. Heck, he's positively overflowing with bitterness and dashed expectations... but the real draw here is the scathing dialogue between him and Yukino. Both of them are pretty messed up to begin with, but listening to them bicker over which of them is a worse off human being really shows how twisted this show is. I'd call it a darker take on those seishun romantic comedies you'd normally get. Quite the fitting show for the spring season.

I hope the dynamic between the two remains as balanced as it is since that's where much of the entertainment comes from. It's no fun if one side just dominates over the other. Since the Bakemonogatari comparison seems popular in certain places, I don't want the relationship between our leads to turn into something like the one between Hitagi and Koyomi.

From this point, I can see this show going one of two ways: 1) This show will gradually shift to a lighter tone as our pessimistic characters are slowly disillusioned from their distorted worldviews, or 2) the show retains its current tone until the end as a twisted counterpart of those youth romantic comedies we're so used to. I sincerely hope it's the latter, given that it's the cynicism that makes this show interesting in the first place.
Old 2013-04-12, 02:35   Link #223
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
My god the title for this show. What's with LN's and mega ass long titles .

To be honest, I watched this episode for one reason. The main girl.

She's got long hair, she is a bit of a subtle bitch and she's voiced by Saori (hello Tsuruko from Ano Hana). Character fagging makes u do all sorts of unwanted stuff.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 08:30   Link #224
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Haven't read the source material yet so nothing to use for comparison. However ep2 feels rather empty: the first little bit was good then the latter part can be summarized as "guy askes for comments about his LN and gets trashed on".
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 08:31   Link #225
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just watched CR subs and was so disappointed. Like third worst IMO... makes me sad I'm paying money for this.

Oh well, at least the first release of the latest episode is the one from what I thought is the best.

Overall, I don't quite like this episode, as chuunibyou is gettting REAL old for me. I like the rest of the cast, like Yui trying to be more assertive to her friends, Hikki trying to stand up for her but turns tail the moment he sees confrontation, while on the other hand Yukinon as usual is turning EVERYTHING to a confrontation. But his gym partner? Can't say I sympathize with him, nor do I even understood what was the point of his story.

And lol@bakuman reference, considering that in that work, the voice actress who got married was voiced by none other than Yukinon's VA.

But yeah, it looks like Hikki finds Yukinon pretty (d'awww) but still can't stand her personality. Wonder how Yui will strike back. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 09:13   Link #226
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
But his gym partner? Can't say I sympathize with him, nor do I even understood what was the point of his story.
IIRC, the point of his story was that he's another loner student who is out of touch with reality in his own way like Hachiman and Yukino are. By communicating with the other problem children, he very slightly develops by having people who are willing to give him their harsh criticism keep his delusions in check (as opposed to the majority of people who would just ignore him). He also gains some friends... kind of.

I do agree that he's hard to sympathize with. Hachiman and Yukino's perspectives hit much closer to home than his.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 09:49   Link #227
Midonin
Last Engage

Yoshiteru and Yui are now my favorite characters. Yoshiteru's no Seijuuro, but he's got something that both Yukino and Hachimantairer lack - spirit! Energy! Passion! Yui's got passion, too, but she just needs to be more assertive about bringing it out. I can't dislike anyone who's a writer. One last point about the episode - not only was Hachiman's report enough to get him sent to the office again, it's not even scientifically accurate. The whole "pack hierarchy" (alpha, whatever else) was scientifically disproven years ago. Not even actual wolves are like that.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:15   Link #228
Iriliane

As a GaoGaiGar fan, I certainly enjoyed having Hiyama's character shouting stuff like "Dimension Driver!" and "Gungnir Hammer!" this episode. Hope he keeps showing up.
Iriliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:32   Link #229
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The second episode had the same strengths and weaknesses as the first one. The poor directing is bringing this show down. This isn't the best way to animate a wordy light novel like this one. The bad animation isn't helping. It's indeed hard to believe Brain's Base is animating this.

I wasn't too impressed with the first episode, but I think I'm starting to like this show. It's more atypical than I initially assumed. For one, there doesn't seem to be a harem building around the protagonist... at least not yet. Would be great if it stayed that way. The title has "love comedy" in it though, so I guess it's bound to happen at some point.

My favorite character is definitely Yukino. I love how painfully honest she is. She's never playing games. She always says what she thinks. If only all women could be like her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriliane View Post
As a GaoGaiGar fan, I certainly enjoyed having Hiyama's character shouting stuff like "Dimension Driver!" and "Gungnir Hammer!" this episode. Hope he keeps showing up.
This was the highlight of the episode for me. I can never get enough of hot blooded Hiyama.
Old 2013-04-12, 11:36   Link #230
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Bad episode in all aspects.

Definitely brought everything down this episode.

It bored me. I'm really skeptic about this now.

Oh, and the OP and ED are mediocre.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:41   Link #231
Sides

2nd episode was ok, but to me it felt that much contend was packed into one episode. The two story, although kind of related, made the episode seem a bit fragmented.
Not sure how many episodes were commissioned, but if they keep going stacking stories this way, i can see why people disliking the show/adaptation.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:43   Link #232
kobester11

Don't worry it's not a sket-dance like show...
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:01   Link #233
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The second episode had the same strengths and weaknesses as the first one. The poor directing is bringing this show down. This isn't the best way to animate a wordy light novel like this one. The bad animation isn't helping. It's indeed hard to believe Brain's Base is animating this.

I wasn't too impressed with the first episode, but I think I'm starting to like this show. It's more atypical than I initially assumed. For one, there doesn't seem to be a harem building around the protagonist... at least not yet. Would be great if it stayed that way. The title has "love comedy" in it though, so I guess it's bound to happen at some point.
I agree. Basically the weak directing for this show is definitely keeping me from spreading the name through my friend circles (even though, I really wanted to). It's funny that how looking at the staff & VA the last thing one thinks is that this show is going to have a super low budget going around. Heck, I even expect the quality of the animation to keep dropping in the future.

Also, about the harem thing, I think the show is already capped with the amount of females that interact with dead fish eyes-kun
Old 2013-04-12, 13:26   Link #234
ChampDream
Alive

I really like Yukino! I still think the pace is a little to fast.

Last edited by ChampDream; 2013-04-12 at 14:33.
ChampDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:36   Link #235
finallyanime
Lvl 49 PastryMancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I really like Yukino! I still the pace is a little to fast.
To be honest, I'm having a hard time liking anyone except Hikki. I'm tired of tsundere so much (just a personal thing) so I don't like her. Typically tsundere characters I never grow to like....EVER. These days rather. I know it's really stupid thing to think, but I feel like anime shows insert these characters into shows just for the sake of doing so....like what's the REASON for her attitude. And I don't mean the slippers thing lol. Granted, not all characters (or people for that matter) have to have a reason, but it is a show.

I guess it's too early for me to get upset, but I am a bit miffed.

HOWEVER, the show pleasantly surprised me. I feel like Hikki is the only one holding it up w/his funny personality, but hope things branch out

P.S. looks like Boku wa tomodachi's creators all have twins...kind of
Old 2013-04-12, 13:44   Link #236
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yoshiteru's chuuni is waay insane. This dude's all over the place. I don't think I like it too much right now. Episode 2 was decent.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 14:37   Link #237
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show is nothing special, but I'm enjoying it so far. Not for what happens in it, but for the characters and voices. Touyama Nao is really breaking out this season: I haven't heard her do a genki character like Yui before. She's also good in the somewhat similar role of Chiho in Hataraku Mao-sama. Eguchi Takuya is growing. There's much more to his performance here than when he played opposite Yuuki Aoi in Gosick. Hiyama Nobuyiki was entertaining, after I got used to him: this is so much like what he does on his radio show.

And Hayami Saori is a goddess. She is really emerging as a voice-actress, with her three starring roles this season, but her singing is what makes her great for me. It's frustrating that producers feel they have to pair her with some inferior singer (in this case, Touyama-san). It just detracts from her impossibly beautiful voice.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 14:53   Link #238
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Mediocre show with unlikable characters. In fact, I think "Hikki"'s the only one I can remotely like, but one character alone won't carry a show for me.
Think I'll be sitting this one out, honestly.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 15:15   Link #239
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyanime View Post
To be honest, I'm having a hard time liking anyone except Hikki. I'm tired of tsundere so much (just a personal thing) so I don't like her. Typically where characters I never grow to like....EVER. These days rather. I know it's really stupid thing to think, but I feel like anime shows insert these characters into shows just for the sake of doing so....like what's the REASON for her attitude. And I don't mean the slippers thing lol. Granted, not all characters (or people for that matter) have to have a reason, but it is a show.

I guess it's too early for me to get upset, but I am a bit miffed.

HOWEVER, the show pleasantly surprised me. I feel like Hikki is the only one holding it up w/his funny personality, but hope things branch out

P.S. looks like Boku wa tomodachi's creators all have twins...kind of
I think its just the trend in light novels nowadays. Like Chuunis dour sharp tongued heroines with long flowing back hair(ostensibly so they can toss it for maximum sass effect while beinf bitchy) are just sort of in. I really dont think theres too more noticeable emerging trends in late night anime right now. As for why...probably just like you said, cause its popular.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 15:21   Link #240
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

I can't help but compare this show to boku wa tomodachi because the casts are so similiar, just hoping this show won't turn into a generic harem romcom like bokutomo. I like Yukino way better than Yozora though.
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romantic comedy, school life, shounen