AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-22, 05:22   Link #1
toru310

Very weird internet connection question...

This maybe a little weird but I'm trying to make a connection so that I can just use the modem rather than using the router since it lag so much. Anyway when I made a connection I have no idea what I'm doing I just went to make connection I think and well here some screen shots. I just want to know what are the consequences of what I did.

Whats the gateway thingy anyways? I have no idea what that is...

Its weird suddenly it disappeared after I exited it and went there again..why is that? What does that thing do anyways..will my computer be accessible by other computers or something?? will it be vulnerable??

Many thanks..

A little update when I turned on my bittorrent and started downloading it shows up again what the hellz? sorry just don't know anything about this things...
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 16:14   Link #2
Calawain
Gaijin

Couple of questions to ease answering your question:

1) What is your ISP?
2) Cable or DSL?
3) Modem brand and type? (USB or ethernet)
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 21:20   Link #3
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
Couple of questions to ease answering your question:

1) What is your ISP?
2) Cable or DSL?
3) Modem brand and type? (USB or ethernet)
+1

However, I will address why the Internet Connection Gateway disappears. In most circumstances, if you were to disable the Windows Firewall, the Gateway would reappear. This allows the router to be able contact your network device for information and, overall, allows you to see the uptime and the amount of information that has passed through the router. I wonder if this is Cisco related? Linksys routers are developed by Cisco and the Gateway seems to show up commonly on these particular routers.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:50   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I usually see the Gateway on my Linksys routers, too. I use a D-Link now but I don't remember if the Gateway shows up there. Either way, the gateway isn't always present (not sure why) but it doesn't impact performance.

Since you're using a router, I presume that your connection type is broadband. If you want to bypass the router and use the modem directly, you have one and a half options:

1) Plug in directly to the modem. Unless your modem has multiple ports, this will mean unplugging the router directly.

1.5) Enable DMZ on the router. I call this the half option because your traffic is still going through the router, so it may lag a bit, but your router is no longer inspecting it at the level that it normally would, so it may receive a slight performance boost. If you have to use the router to share the connection, then this may be your best bet. It'll negative virtually all of the security benefits that you'd get by being behind a router, though.
Old 2007-08-23, 04:37   Link #5
toru310

@Calawain
1. PLDT(the company name which is a local company in my country) i suppose
2. DSL
3. Modem came with the company so I suppose its the same brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
+1

However, I will address why the Internet Connection Gateway disappears. In most circumstances, if you were to disable the Windows Firewall, the Gateway would reappear. This allows the router to be able contact your network device for information and, overall, allows you to see the uptime and the amount of information that has passed through the router. I wonder if this is Cisco related? Linksys routers are developed by Cisco and the Gateway seems to show up commonly on these particular routers.
Well this pretty much solves my problem. thanks..

Also thanks for everyone who contributed really helps..

Anyhow the connection that I made what does it do??
Old 2007-08-23, 09:05   Link #6
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
@Calawain
1. PLDT(the company name which is a local company in my country) i suppose
2. DSL
3. Modem came with the company so I suppose its the same brand.

Well this pretty much solves my problem. thanks..

Also thanks for everyone who contributed really helps..

Anyhow the connection that I made what does it do??
This modem you are using, is it just a modem or is it one of those modem-router combinations that some DSL companies provide to their users?
Old 2007-08-24, 07:50   Link #7
toru310

The modem is just like the 4 port thing but needs a router if your using 2 or more computers...
Old 2007-08-24, 18:10   Link #8
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

So, the modem has one port to connect to a single computer or to a WAN? The DSL modem has power, RJ-45 (Ethernet), and RJ-11 (phone).
Old 2007-08-25, 01:34   Link #9
toru310

Yup..It need the phone cord to connect...
Old 2007-08-25, 11:30   Link #10
Calawain
Gaijin

Spoiler for space saving:

Well if it is a standard DSL modem when you setup the dialing connection you don't select "Choose from a list of ISPs" you want to select "Set up my connection manually" and then "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password." Your ISP should have provided you with the necessary connection information for the next step.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 17:24   Link #11
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post

Well if it is a standard DSL modem when you setup the dialing connection you don't select "Choose from a list of ISPs" you want to select "Set up my connection manually" and then "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password." Your ISP should have provided you with the necessary connection information for the next step.
Absolutely. You will need to select "Connecting to a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" - this is typical for PPPoE connections such as regular aDSL. You will need your ISP user name and password to connect - make sure you have it. After, you can connect by adding an icon to your desktop or going to "Network Connections" and under "Broadband."

Spoiler for PPPoE: