AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-04-24, 18:09   Link #1
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Yokai Ningen Bem

I was kindda surprised that I couldn't find a thread for this great work.

The color-animated version Yokai Ningen Bem aired in TV Asashi in 1968,and was a big hit.More of an anime in my mothers' generation. In fact she still remembers watching it.Although only 26 episodes,I was still able to watch this series in the 80s.(It's one of the generation-to-generation anime/manga in my family.)

It's about three yokais-Bem,Bera and Bero who were made from a mysterious lab via some mysterious cell.They don't know where and how they have come out in this world,all they know is that they must help humans and achieve justice in order to fulfill their dreams...their dream to become human beings.
'Hayaku Ningen ni Naritai!'(I want to be human) is a very,very very famous line from this particular anime.Plus the BGMs and main theme are quite Jazzy,very my-kind-of-style.

The show's not limited to three monsters kicking bad guys' asses.Bem,Bera and Bero deal with humans,monsters,zombies,outer egos,alter egos,grudges that came out bad killing people..There was a whole deep underlying meaning in every episode which makes you think.To tell you the truth it's quite philosophical.Especially the last episode.(and yes,my mother still remembers it.Her favourite characher is Bem,because he's such a gentleman.)I was sure about that after I watched the 26 episodes over after I was so very much pissed off about the remake version of Bem.

So..the 2006 version of Yokai Ningen Bem aired this April and all that I could express was dissapointment.It just portrays famous monsters from various legends(such as the Harpy) who attacks humans never kills them cuz the show's for children,and Bem,Bera and Bero is always there to kill them(in the name of JUSTICE!<-crosses hands like SailorMoon).Overall it ended up being a shallow piece of work with only improved animation quality.They did a nice job adapting all the original designs from the 60s,but that's all there's there to compliment. I would be watching this til the end though,just because I'm a fan.At least I should badmouth it after watching the whole thing :P
Official site for remake version: http://www.bem-tv.com
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 18:46   Link #2
Prince of Moles

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm disappointed as well since so far it's proving to be a monster of the week kind of a show.

The original show basically made you think that people might be far more scary, far more evil than monsters and that's why the show was so moving. Bem, Bela, and Belo worked on behalf of humans _despite_ being rejected by them.

What does it really mean to be human? Is it how you look? Or is it who you are inside? Bem, Bela, and Belo were/are fully human in my book.
Prince of Moles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 19:40   Link #3
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih
So..the 2006 version of Yokai Ningen Bem aired this April and all that I could express was dissapointment.It just portrays famous monsters from various legends(such as the Harpy) who attacks humans never kills them cuz the show's for children,and Bem,Bera and Bero is always there to kill them(in the name of JUSTICE!<-crosses hands like SailorMoon).Overall it ended up being a shallow piece of work with only improved animation quality.They did a nice job adapting all the original designs from the 60s,but that's all there's there to compliment. I would be watching this til the end though,just because I'm a fan.At least I should badmouth it after watching the whole thing :P
Official site for remake version: http://www.bem-tv.com
I wouldn't say it's just a monster of the week film. Like the original series where they are on a quest to be human, the first two episode shows Bero's interaction with Kira and how she can accept him, but not her parents. The third one deals with Bera's encounter with Sora, who thinks she's human, and she must sadly try to stay away from him before he learns the truth. Along with fighting monsters, they are slowly exploring discrimination and acceptance.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 19:15   Link #4
Prince of Moles

Ah this week's Bem was more like the old Bem. That makes me happy.

But the ending of that episode makes me sad.
Prince of Moles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 03:19   Link #5
J´GLF

is any group subbing this?
J´GLF is offline   Reply With Quote