AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-06-18, 01:04   Link #1
saya_leviathan

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (July 2011)

This is Part 2 of the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I noticed that Voldemort keeps screaming in this trailer
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 01:52   Link #2
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
You're the 120129th person to say that, it's another "Wolverine" movie. They already tossed in 2/3 of the book in part 1, which left me well unimpressed, meaning all that's left is the 'final battle', where they get to abuse SFX to the max and make it into some LOTR style warzone now xD

I also see extra scenes that are purely a Hollywood liberty (alike Dumbledore's death and Snape's confession which pissed me off majorly in 6), so for those who've never read the book, do enjoy the final movie to cap the entire series over this last 7 years.

For the rest of us, whether you love it or hate the movies or like me, watch them with a crapload of salt and just feel nostalgic at British accents, slang and humour, here's hoping they at least visually amaze us and take our breath away with the emotional scenes (and there are plenty)

There's a couple of scenes I'm worried about how they'll portray it (make it stupidly cheesy and superficial) otherwise, lips shut, waiting eeeeagerly for July
(FMA2 movie, HP 7pt 2 and Naruto movie 5, wheee~~~)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 12:35   Link #3
Lost Cause

In 3D?! I think I'll pass on this and wait for the DVD!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 22:25   Link #4
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

..............wow how disapointing especially the last fight vs voldemort in the book every single person was watching but in the movie theres not a soul there i was really looking forward to that part
Old 2011-07-17, 00:37   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll skip the 3D .... hopefully the theaters will continue to show both 2d and do it on the proper projector'
Old 2011-07-17, 00:57   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
..............wow how disapointing especially the last fight vs voldemort in the book every single person was watching but in the movie theres not a soul there i was really looking forward to that part
I greatly preferred their battle being separate. There were many things I wished to see that were not included (mainly the other magical races (the centaurs, house-elves, merpeople (I think), and Hagrid's half-brother) assisting in the final fight), but one of the things I never liked about the final fight was everyone standing around slack-jawed watching Harry and Voldemort battle. By separating them, I felt the film placed better emphasis on their connection as well as the ending of their story.

Spoiler for slight movie spoiler...:

Overall, I actually liked the film. I don't feel like going in to any major details, but the chaos of the large-scale battle scenes were very good, Neville was great (who knew looking at Matthew Lewis as a kid that he would grow up so well ), Luna is an always welcome addition (Radcliffe has such a good report with Evanna Lynch that I have always wondered why the films didn't just go for broke and have Harry and Luna get together), Snape's final scene was well done, and the epilogue was done quite well (Radcliffe was especially impressive here, as he believably conveyed the weight and confidence of a man who has survived war and fought for a better future). All in all, I actually liked the 2 films better than the final novel...then again I never liked the final novel, so I could be damning with faint praise. 75/100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll skip the 3D .... hopefully the theaters will continue to show both 2d and do it on the proper projector'
You can see it in regular 2D and probably regular IMAX. Sadly the only IMAX i could catch was IMAX 3D, and since the film was converted to 3D, the IMAX was partially wasted...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-07-17 at 01:10.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 02:49   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

My review is as follows...

Continues being unfaithful. Check.

Hollywoodafies many of the key scenes in the movie. Check.

Characters not acting in character. Check.

What did I think of the movie? Trash.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 09:10   Link #8
sa547
*Author

^
Man, what else do you want us to watch? After being disappointed with Transformers 3, I'd rather watch this in traditional 2D; I don't need to pay more for a pair of glasses.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:08   Link #9
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
First half I thought was pretty good. Second half seemed to just fall apart. IMO the book handled the battle of Hogwarts and the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort much better than the movie did. Also rather annoyed at how they cut out Dumbledore's backstory like that, after dropping hints about it in both movies. You can't do something like that and then not explain it, movie.
Old 2011-07-17, 15:41   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You can see it in regular 2D and probably regular IMAX. Sadly the only IMAX i could catch was IMAX 3D, and since the film was converted to 3D, the IMAX was partially wasted...
Eh, regular 2D doesn't necessarily mean good image quality anymore. I mentioned this in another movie thread.

Basically, the way I understand it, the 3D system used on Sony 4K projectors projects two separate images simultaneously in 3D mode. These is done by displaying the two versions side by side on the imager and then using a lens that projects them as two separate light beams.

You can project 2D with the 3D lens, but that only uses half the imager and hence you only get half the brightness. In many theatres, this results in brightness well below industry standards. Of course, many theatres do so anyway because switching to a lens designed for 2D requires a) owning that lens and b) doing alignment adjustments.

This is not an issue with DLP projectors, which don't use that kind of lens system for 3D projection.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 16:12   Link #11
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
First half I thought was pretty good. Second half seemed to just fall apart. IMO the book handled the battle of Hogwarts and the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort much better than the movie did. Also rather annoyed at how they cut out Dumbledore's backstory like that, after dropping hints about it in both movies. You can't do something like that and then not explain it, movie.
Agreed. The first half had some kind of flow: sea house =>bank=> dragon that was really good and smooth, scenery was wonderful. But then teleport here=> run there=> cut scene to another=> battle=> suddenly harry awakes and runs away and everyone just watches it=> fall down with Voldemort who is like "AHHH!" all the time, but the battle scene of quick spells attacks and protection on the stairs between H and V was nice.

The flow was broken - it was like animating disjointed scenes one after another without proper connection, very rough.

The first part was better than this one - it had its atmosphere of traveling together, some tension between the trio much, more wonderful landscapes compared to dull gray terrain here.

Moments that were omitted - Harry fixing his wand and one of the twins' death - bugged me as a reader. They aren't that significant, but after all those conversations about wands I think the viewer would wonder what would Harry use himself as a wand.

And romance/kisses looked awkward . Ok I am fine with Ron/ Hermione but Harry/ Ginnie wtf??, no chemistry at all. Of course I understand Harry, deep inside he hates mudbloods so that's why he choose pure blooded Weasley girl just kidding though

Don't understand all hype connecting with Quaron( a guy in Gundam Unicorn OVA 3 had the same name before he was killed ) or whatever, the one who directed the 3rd movie. Was it really that great?

6/10 final verdict, could have been better but it wasn't

And maybe 7/10 for whole series for fun and enjoyment
Old 2011-07-17, 17:21   Link #12
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
Second to this. Some of the moments in the book that's vital to the plot were omitted...can't help but get disappointed with that. And the Harry/Ginny kiss was...not necessary...*sighs

Overall, the movie was good, but it can be better imho.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:28   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Eh, regular 2D doesn't necessarily mean good image quality anymore. I mentioned this in another movie thread.

Basically, the way I understand it, the 3D system used on Sony 4K projectors projects two separate images simultaneously in 3D mode. These is done by displaying the two versions side by side on the imager and then using a lens that projects them as two separate light beams.

You can project 2D with the 3D lens, but that only uses half the imager and hence you only get half the brightness. In many theatres, this results in brightness well below industry standards. Of course, many theatres do so anyway because switching to a lens designed for 2D requires a) owning that lens and b) doing alignment adjustments.

This is not an issue with DLP projectors, which don't use that kind of lens system for 3D projection.
Right, I've taken to *asking* if the projector being used is also usable for 3D and whether its a DLP. If they can't answer or demur, I mark that theater off my list. Its actually quite difficult to find a manager to discuss it with and I'm sure I'm labeled the "cranky curmudgeon" over it.
Old 2011-07-17, 22:10   Link #14
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Watched the film today along with my sister and her friends.

I'm very grateful that I was not the only one who thought the very last film (part two of Deathly Hallows) felt shallow, while the mainstream viewers found the film epic.

As some of you previously posted, Harry and Voldemort's final match was and felt soulless, though I did like the part....
Spoiler:

Also, the other problem I found with the film was the portrayal of the Battle at Hogwarts. I thought and was expecting something from the level and caliber to Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King film's epic battle at Gondor.
Spoiler:

I do praise them that they kept in tone with two of the most anticipated scenes that I recalled from the book.
Spoiler:

But Dumbledore's appearance to Harry....
Spoiler:

I'm positively sure that this film needed more shooting time for about adding another thirty minutes, and less with Hollywood taking creative liberties with deviations from the book.

But, as a wholehearted fan and reader of the books, the film truly insulted my intelligence when....
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 22:12   Link #15
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
Second to this. Some of the moments in the book that's vital to the plot were omitted...can't help but get disappointed with that. And the Harry/Ginny kiss was...not necessary...*sighs

Overall, the movie was good, but it can be better imho.
That was completely random to me While sadly I had to pay extra cash for 3D since 2D was already sold out (I'm astonished really) my curiosity for how this will end got me to pay the extra.
Old 2011-07-17, 23:27   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hahahaha This was the best night ever!

Spoiler for semi end spoilers:
Old 2011-07-18, 08:42   Link #17
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
But Dumbledore's appearance to Harry....
Spoiler:
This. This so, so much. I enjoyed when Dumbledore appeared to Harry in the book; it was a good moment between the characters, and we learned about Dumbledore's past and his mistakes. Choosing to not at least somewhat reveal his past in the movie when they had already built up for it slightly in part 1 and then introduced Aberforth and Ariana, along with Aberforth's conflict with Dumbledore, seemed dumb to me. Then again, considering how vastly they changed Grindelwald in part 1, I suppose they assumed they couldn't include the explanation.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-18, 11:17   Link #18
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Amazing movie. I really have no complaints.......except the scene with Snape and Harry felt incredibly..........."gay"......but that just might my corrupted fangirl soul?
Old 2011-07-18, 21:48   Link #19
sa547
*Author

This flick is currently 97% on RottenTomatoes.

Book-to-movie adaptations will inevitably result in changes to make it much different from the original. So I'm not surprised about the complaints coming from hardcore fans, just like what happened with the adaptations of other books such as LOTR, A Time to Kill, Da Vinci Code, Christine, etc.
Old 2011-07-19, 06:05   Link #20
HasuMasu
*Artist

watched, liked the book better, no surprise

still, i was hoping for this to be better than the 6th (best of the movies imo)

sadly it delivers not, oh well, better watch half-blood prince on DVD...or whatever

as for 3D, i hate that, i don't want glasses over my damn glasses dammit