AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-25, 14:20   Link #201
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendo001 View Post
got a link and some more info on this?

as i have no clue what ur on about
ADV Takes Over Geneon's Sales, Marketing, Distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
ICV2 is reporting that according to a notice sent to retailers, ADV Films will be handling the marketing, sales, and distribution for Geneon's entire catalog beginning October 1. The notice mentioned that Geneon will still be licensing and producing anime for North America, but the way those titles reach the market will now be handled by ADV Films. ADV Films declined to comment for this article; Geneon could not be reached for comment.
Old 2007-08-25, 17:21   Link #202
hendo001
Nanoha Fan :)

Send a message via MSN to hendo001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirificus View Post

hmmm lets hope this will include the nanoha series
Old 2007-08-26, 01:09   Link #203
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
hmmm lets hope this will include the nanoha series
It's been forever since I bought a DvD period, but any reason why you hope that it includes Nanoha? Does ADV include better extras or something? Then again, extras in general weren't that great when I was still buying DvDs heh. Although I do think that ADV included something better then normal lol.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2007-08-26, 05:54   Link #204
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirificus View Post
All I know is that ADV sure pushes their releases out pretty fast. Hopefully they might push Geneon to release Nanoha before the year's end.
Old 2007-08-26, 06:40   Link #205
hendo001
Nanoha Fan :)

Send a message via MSN to hendo001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
It's been forever since I bought a DvD period, but any reason why you hope that it includes Nanoha? Does ADV include better extras or something? Then again, extras in general weren't that great when I was still buying DvDs heh. Although I do think that ADV included something better then normal lol.
yeah i wanna see and own the dvds not bothered about extras
Old 2007-08-26, 08:23   Link #206
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

I guess maybe it's been too long since I bought any anime then... since I don't seem to remember ADV being any slower then other companies. Well, if they are quicker and they do take over the Nanoha distro then that'll be great. So long as it doesn't make Geneon rush things that is... Not that i'll be watching the dub, but you still don't want them to do a rush job hehe.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2007-08-26, 09:18   Link #207
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I'm really more worried by the fact Geneon has a small cast of voice actors and you tend to see many anime with the same voice actors filling roles... And since the majority of dubs seem to pale in comparison to the originals... I'm scared for Nanoha dub x_x
Old 2007-08-26, 09:29   Link #208
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I'm really more worried by the fact Geneon has a small cast of voice actors and you tend to see many anime with the same voice actors filling roles... And since the majority of dubs seem to pale in comparison to the originals... I'm scared for Nanoha dub x_x
I fail to see the worry. It's a DVD. If the dub turns out bad, simply switch language to Japanese and you won't have to worry about it anymore.
Old 2007-08-27, 08:32   Link #209
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I'd be more scared of the way they'd translate some of the names... for example.

Daizengar -> "DaiGenGuard" (SRWOG2 English) -> "DaiGynGuar" or something like that in SRWOGs for Japanese.
Old 2007-08-27, 13:02   Link #210
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, it's not all that unusual for Geneon to take a while in announcing release dates after announcing a license. The typical wait time from announcement to release is something like six months to a year or more, IIRC. They probably just don't want to give a date until they're relatively sure they can make it.

And, incidentally, music licensing won't be an issue here, since King Records published both the anime and all the music for it. And the ADV deal shouldn't affect it much either, since Geneon will still be operating independantly and handling all the production work. All in all, I'd say to just give it time.
Old 2007-08-29, 00:18   Link #211
grgspunk

About the ADV thing... It makes me wonder, if Nanoha (or any other anime) boxsets come down the road a few years from now, do you think they'll be stripped of extra content like ADV thinpaks are? Usually, Geneon's collections retain everything that was in the singles...
Old 2007-08-29, 05:38   Link #212
Jimmy C

Probably not. According to what has been said, Geneon will still be responsible for creating the material for sale, but ADV will be the one selling.
Old 2007-09-17, 14:30   Link #213
Lordshade

Quote:
yes still not heard anything from them though

to be honest either they are taking their time releasing this or they have dropped it.

the domain NANOHADVD.COM is owned by a web hosting company atm.

So dunno whats gonna happen now.

Um, according to WHOIS...
"
Registrant:
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
2265 East 220th Street
Long Beach,, CA 90810
US

Domain Name: NANOHADVD.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by DomainTools.com
2265 East 220th Street
Long Beach,, CA 90810
US
800-607-2411

Record expires on 12-Jan-2012.
Record created on 12-Jan-2007.
Database last updated on 17-Sep-2007 15:21:38 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS53.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.27
NS54.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.189.27"

This implies that they still have the website, and that the record was updated today...

http://whois.domaintools.com/nanohadvd.com
Old 2007-09-18, 14:38   Link #214
Vidofnir

I would only start getting worried if there has been no news from Geneon halfway 2008.

Getting a nice box with the first volume would be nice. If there isn't one I usually wait
until a complete boxset comes out, but for this show waiting is not an option.
I don't want the initial sales to flop and having them decide StrikerS is not worth licensing as a result.
Old 2007-09-21, 04:07   Link #215
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

it seems that Geneon has canceled its distribution partnership with ADV...and it might be looking bad for Nanoha being released in the states.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...deal-cancelled
Old 2007-09-21, 15:40   Link #216
cyanne

From what I have heard, production for Nanoha is already underway. The problem is they have no way to distribute due to lack of a Sales team. This will also affect all other Geneon products currently in production.
Old 2007-09-21, 16:18   Link #217
grgspunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanne View Post
From what I have heard, production for Nanoha is already underway. The problem is they have no way to distribute due to lack of a Sales team. This will also affect all other Geneon products currently in production.
Sauce for the Nanoha production update, please.
Old 2007-09-22, 10:04   Link #218
cyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgspunk View Post
Sauce for the Nanoha production update, please.
Wish I could give you one but that's what I heard from a friend who's now a former employee. Of course with the press release stating that all in-house production is being shut down at the end of the year, we might never see beyond a couple DVDs anyway or Hellsing 4 or pretty much anything else beyond what's on the release chart. :/
Old 2007-09-22, 13:16   Link #219
grgspunk

Wait a second, what makes you think that Geneon is going to stop all in house productions anyway? Which press release are you talking about?
Old 2007-09-22, 13:24   Link #220
Mirificus

Geneon USA Lays Off Sales, Marketing Staffers, Sept. 11, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Geneon USA Lays Off Sales, Marketing Staffers
posted on 2007-09-11 16:50 EDT
As part of its transition to A.D. Vision handling its sales and marketing, Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. laid off five employees from its sales team last Friday, and plans to lay off employees from its marketing team at the end of this week. The five employees in the sales team were informed earlier last week that Friday, September 7 would be their last day. According to a recent press release, Geneon USA had 39 employees; by the end of this week, Geneon USA will have laid off more than 20% of its staff.
ADV and Geneon Call off Strategic Alliance, Sept. 21 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
ADV and Geneon Call off Strategic Alliance
Sep 21 2007
HOUSTON, September 21, 2007—ADV Films, the number one producer-distributor of anime outside of Japan, today confirmed that it has withdrawn plans to distribute Geneon Entertainment's DVDs, CDs, and other product in North America.

“We regret that we could not complete an arrangement with Geneon Entertainment,” said ADV Films co-founder and President John Ledford. “We have enormous admiration for Geneon's line and wish them the best of luck.”

The strategic alliance announced jointly by ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment on August 29, which was slated to take effect October 1, would have made ADV Geneon's sole distributor in North America.

About ADV Films:
In the 15 years since its inception, ADV Films has become the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation (“anime”) outside of Japan and has the largest English-language anime library in the world. With best-selling titles such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon, Robotech, Full Metal Panic!, Hello Kitty and Azumanga Daioh, ADV Films' extensive catalog is fueling the popularity of anime around the globe. Always on the forefront, ADV is introducing North America to bold new anime franchises such as the new Guyver, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Gantz, and Elfen Lied. ADV Films' library also includes popular live-action science fiction programs such as The Jim Henson Company's Farscape, the nationally syndicated Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda and the Saturn Award-nominated Mutant X. In 2005 ADV Films was voted “Best Anime Company” in the SPJA awards, presented at Anime Expo, North America's largest anime convention. The readers of Anime News Network designated ADV Films “Overall Favorite Anime Company” in both 2004 and 2005.

Parent company A.D. Vision, Inc. encompasses a variety of complementary media divisions, spanning publishing, television, licensing and merchandising and continues to expand into new areas. Its Anime Network™ is “America's #1 Anime Channel,” reaching more than 40 million households. Anime Network is the nation's top video-on-demand (VOD) offering as well as a 24/7 linear cable channel and is the first television network dedicated to bringing anime and anime-related programming to consumers nationwide. The company has two publishing arms: Newtype USA, North America's top-selling anime and manga monthly magazine, and ADV Manga™, dedicated to publishing graphic novels. Headquartered in Houston, the company has offices in Europe and Japan. For more information, visit www.advfilms.com.
This suggests that while Geneon should still have its production staff, it will need to do a fair bit of work to get its marketing and distribution back into shape.