AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-02, 22:50   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Kanon 2006 Licensing by ADV Films (now by Funimation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeondvd.com
ADV Films Registers Kanon (09:44 PM EDT): Though as we've seen in the past, registering a domain name does not always equal a license by that company or even a license at all. It is rare however to see ADV Films registering a domain like this and not doing it through a proxy as most try to do. Newly discovered today (6/2/2007) is that they have registered the domain for Kanon TV. With their acquisition of Air TV it isn't exactly a surprise if it pans out and this will surely fuel the speculation a bit more.
So, good news?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2007-06-02 at 23:27.
Old 2007-06-02, 23:08   Link #2
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Hope the dubbing is cool if they are going to license this series (from my past experiences, I am not setting my hopes very high )
Old 2007-06-02, 23:09   Link #3
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Oh? This is a most interesting development. I wouldn't be surprised, I guess, considering that they already have AIR.

Will they eventually pick up Clannad as well then? >.>
Old 2007-06-02, 23:37   Link #4
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Hmm... Wouldn't releasing these series side-by-side be bad marketing? Releases of this caliber generate competition among those with less disposable income, and competing with yourself is just bad business.
Old 2007-06-03, 00:26   Link #5
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Hmm... Wouldn't releasing these series side-by-side be bad marketing? Releases of this caliber generate competition among those with less disposable income, and competing with yourself is just bad business.
If the licensing goes through (I would expect the announcement <if any> at Anime Expo), I would speculate that the first volume could be out in December since Air would be done by then (with its monthly release starting in August).

But then again, I could be wrong about the whole thing.

Old 2007-06-03, 00:40   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any LE version of Air (TV). I just placed a pre-order for the standard version they're offering over at DVDpacific.

I wonder if they're going to just release Kanon the same way.

Ya know.... I actually don't give a darn if there's any dub at all on these. Too much of the show is dependent on the *acting* of the VAs. That said... I guess we'll see when we see whether they're going to give these items "gold glove" like the Haruhi series got in its R1 release.
(I suspect not... but I've been wrong enough times now not to weight my speculation heavily)
Old 2007-06-03, 00:51   Link #7
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Given the similiarities between the titles I would think they should wait a little while between the last volume of Air and the first volume of Kanon, at least as long as between Kanon and Clannad (which I think was too short a time spread as well but I guess that's the bare minimum to go by that we know of). Otherwise people won't know which one to buy.

Though ADV's business practices seem to be akin to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, such as licensing anything and everything in site (for a while) and putting a poor effort into the subtitles and dub (at least in the case of my Dunbine DVD's). For a while there it seemed like they were trying to crash the market 1980's video game crash style, so who knows exactly what they have in mind with this.

Who wants to call Crispen Freeman as Yuuichi if they do license it though?
Old 2007-06-03, 01:21   Link #8
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Who wants to call Crispen Freeman as Yuuichi if they do license it though?
I'd rather see Chris Patton as Yuuichi.

Old 2007-06-03, 07:14   Link #9
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

News of the millennium!... or not.

I don't disagree that the timing could potentially be very poor if Kanon and Air are sold concurrently for the reasons mentioned in this thread, which makes me think that ADV don't see either titles as being big winners outside of a very niche market that have already seen them. Which is a pity, since they're probably not going to be marketed in such a way that their exposure or fanbase is going to grow a great deal thanks to this (possible) license. I'm also ruing the fact that it's ADV. Of the three major N.A. licensing companies, ADV is the one I trust the least. I'd sleep far more comfortably if this were in the hands of Geneon or Funi.

Nonetheless, this is one of those titles that doesn't lend itself very easily to an English dub (although, admittedly, Air is probably a far greater challenge to dub than this is). Thus, I don't have terribly high expectations for the dub. Oh well, if it does eventuate, I'll certainly buy it.
Old 2007-06-03, 11:14   Link #10
Asrialys

Hm...if this goes through, I'd like to see how they handle that whole boku/atashi thing with Ayu in the dub. That'll take some creativity.
Old 2007-06-03, 11:22   Link #11
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ shiritori won't be an easy adaptation either, considering yuuichi's reaction about the san
Old 2007-06-03, 11:31   Link #12
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
^ shiritori won't be an easy adaptation either, considering yuuichi's reaction about the san
They could have the English VAs say it in Japanese with subtitle notes on top.
Old 2007-06-03, 12:36   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
News of the millennium!... or not.

I don't disagree that the timing could potentially be very poor if Kanon and Air are sold concurrently for the reasons mentioned in this thread, which makes me think that ADV don't see either titles as being big winners outside of a very niche market that have already seen them. Which is a pity, since they're probably not going to be marketed in such a way that their exposure or fanbase is going to grow a great deal thanks to this (possible) license. I'm also ruing the fact that it's ADV. Of the three major N.A. licensing companies, ADV is the one I trust the least. I'd sleep far more comfortably if this were in the hands of Geneon or Funi.

Nonetheless, this is one of those titles that doesn't lend itself very easily to an English dub (although, admittedly, Air is probably a far greater challenge to dub than this is). Thus, I don't have terribly high expectations for the dub. Oh well, if it does eventuate, I'll certainly buy it.
If they really on the fans of the anime on the internet to buy it, won't it pretty much just sell itself. Like a Key fan walks into a store and see's Air or Kanon or both, "Get". Also fans of Key's games in the west are likely to buy both at the same time. I bought Final Fantasy III DS and Final Fantasy XII at the same time and they were released within two days of each other in a rather poor decision for Final Fantasy III DS's sales....then again FF has higher name recognition than Kanon or Air. It'll come down to the fans and I think they are pretty hardcore enough to buy both at the same time. It depends on how many of them there really are in the West.
Old 2007-06-03, 15:43   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The most probable reason for the domain registration is to prevent cybersquatting. They made a comment at the AIR license announcement that if it sells well, they'd consider Kanon (which is a bigger investment, given the higher episode count). Registering the domain for safekeeping, after making that announcement, just makes sense. Given how much work it probably was to get both Toei and Pony Canyon on board for Air, they probably left themselves options for Kanon in both cases too. In either case, AIR sales will tell the story, I think. They won't release both at once.
Old 2007-06-04, 00:12   Link #15
pb186
Inactive Member

if you read the press release about air tv cast list... they have blatent clues about kanon in there... either they really do have kanon or they are just teasing us... girl b likes to say "uguu" lol
Old 2007-06-04, 01:46   Link #16
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Wonder how they are going to dub Nayuki's sleeping awesomeness; Hope the dubbing won't ruin it

And yes, uguu does NOT sound good in English
Old 2007-06-04, 01:56   Link #17
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
Wonder how they are going to dub Nayuki's sleeping awesomeness; Hope the dubbing won't ruin it
I'm still completely baffled as to why hardcore Japanese dub fans would care for English dubs?

And some material to think about from one of Ask John's older topics (Animenation.net):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask John
Given the popularity of the Air franchise in Japan, the anime was probably not cheap to license. Having to negotiate distribution rights with two different distributors for the television and movie animation probably dramatically increased the cost of licensing the franchise also. Although I have no specific "insider information" to base my speculation on, I have an instinctual feeling that on a purely economic level, AD Vision may lose money on the Air license. I don't believe that any domestic licensor could possibly sell enough Air DVDs in America to make the title profitable. However, AD Vision may still be able to profit from the acquisition in various ways. Merely acquiring distribution rights to this high profile franchise brings valuable attention to AD Vision. Regardless of profitability, a catalog of high profile titles helps establish a valuable corporate reputation and recognition. Furthermore, I'm sure that there are AD Vision staff members who are very excited and pleased to have acquired this fan favorite franchise. Based only on my own instincts, I doubt that the Air anime will be financially profitable in America, but AD Vision's acquisition may generate significant intangible value in the form of support from the fan community and interest in the company.
Old 2007-06-04, 01:58   Link #18
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I'm still completely baffled as to why would hardcore Japanese dub fans care for English dubs?
Haha I wouldn't consider myself as "hardcore" but, well, with my past experiences Japanese dubs really ARE better (except some English dubs I have to admit are good, like Chobits and Tales of Symphonia)

Well I care probably because I want them to get better i guess lol
Old 2007-06-04, 02:06   Link #19
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
Well I care probably because I want them to get better i guess lol
Both you and me know that's never going to happen.
Old 2007-06-04, 11:40   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any LE version of Air (TV). I just placed a pre-order for the standard version they're offering over at DVDpacific.
ADV has switched to doing the boxes with the second volumes of series to allow people to try it without having to feel like they need the box. The thinking is that after the first volume, if you really like it, you'll buy the second volume with the box. As far as an actual limited edition, I don't think ADV ever does those.