AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-02-05, 17:17   Link #41
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Basically this OVA was pointless, I think.

Okay, that it was following the manga, but it's almost the same plotline, just some deteils differ. But of course that the animation is great, is a OVA fro
m the beginning of 2006 afterall.
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 18:09   Link #42
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr
Basically this OVA was pointless, I think.

Okay, that it was following the manga, but it's almost the same plotline, just some deteils differ. But of course that the animation is great, is a OVA fro
m the beginning of 2006 afterall.
JUST Some details?

You mean like the Nazis? Arcard's background in WWII? Portrayal of accurate bloodlust? Alexander Anderson being MORE than just a psycho? Elaboration of the Catholic VS Protestant politics?

The only thing pointless was the TV series. It was watered down in content. The fact that Arucard made it clear that he is not human was a major plotpoint.

Hellsing is NOT just another Buffy.
Old 2006-02-05, 18:32   Link #43
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Only 4 more days to go!
Old 2006-02-08, 09:12   Link #44
Urban

Looking forward to seeing Alucard and co on the screen again. The digest looked absolutely stunning. Made me want to go back and watch the original 13 episodes. (Which I did) heh.
Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 16:34   Link #45
KanaKaishou

/me waits patiently.
KanaKaishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 13:48   Link #46
kari-no-sugata

Well, the full version of the OVA is out. Adds nearly all the remaining scenes from volume 1 of the manga. Has a few extra scenes. Nice.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 14:02   Link #47
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Some other screencaps from the first episode in no particular order... but if you must look for order, look from left to right.

Alucard Obsession

http://i1.tinypic.com/nnqia1.jpg

Alexander Anderson: The Hellsing-fans know how bad ass this dude is even though he is a Catholic priest. Well, we get to watch it all over again in the OVA.

http://i1.tinypic.com/nnr2fk.jpg

Victoria and others:----

http://i1.tinypic.com/nnr7me.jpg

The style of Hellsing that captured so many fans lives in the OVA. Only thing, I felt, Gonzo did better was the blending of the CG with the art. It's especially noticeable during the gushing of gallons of blood i.e. in one scene, the blood seems to be "floating" above the grass instead of "soaked" in. Everything else is very yummy and salivating. Looking forward to the next episode.

edit: Btw, the episode is 50 mins in length!

Last edited by monir; 2006-02-12 at 14:31.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 15:56   Link #48
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
The style of Hellsing that captured so many fans lives in the OVA.
Yup. I wish most manga to anime conversions were this good.

Quote:
Everything else is very yummy and salivating. Looking forward to the next episode.

edit: Btw, the episode is 50 mins in length!
I guess the next ep will cover all of vol 2 (Dead Zone and Balance of Power story arcs).
Old 2006-02-12, 18:41   Link #49
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yippee!!!!

The kickass quotient is elevated in everyone, including Seras!

Spoiler for OVA 1:
Old 2006-02-12, 20:25   Link #50
v1cious

does anyone know when the next volume is supposed to come out? what kind of schedule are they releasing these on?
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 21:18   Link #51
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I haven't heard anything on when the next volume should be out but it would be safe to assume that there will be at least six months between releases.

Having just finished watching the full version of the OVA I can say I really enjoyed it. Some people might still be upset by the new musical score but I, personally, think that the eerie orchestra/choir pieces suit the feel of the series better than hard rock. >.>

Several new scenes are added as well as the chapters that were missing, though not in any specific order, and they really help flesh out the OVA by easing the rough transitions.

Spoiler for Spoilers, be warned...:
The end credits feature a variety of images, most having to do with the Millenium Organization while some showing churches, crosses, Alucard's coffin and the lovely werewolf. ^^
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 21:37   Link #52
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious
does anyone know when the next volume is supposed to come out? what kind of schedule are they releasing these on?
5th of April, according to AniDB.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 22:48   Link #53
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Just finished watching the first Digest OVA. I'm a bit disappointed and still prefer the first Hellsing. The (computer)animation of Digest is nice, agreed, but some of the style, that made Hellsing so special, is just missing. I also dislike the new OST... The old OST underlined everything better, in my opinion. It was like... made for Alucard and mirrored a part of himself. The new one is to cinematic.
The way Seras talks, is also kind of strange... someone mentioned already this "Master, Yes my Master!". Then the SD part, after Seras woke up and thought, that it was just a dream... SD is an unsuited element for Hellsing, I think.
About Alucard. I like the old one more, cause the new one seems to different. More psycho, less coolness, or something. The old one got a better mixture of those characteristics... but might be just my opinion.
Well, Digest is not entirely bad. I agree, that they made the ghouls creepier, not to mention the excellent animation... but it wont nearly replace the old Hellsing, at least not for me

Aesir
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 23:22   Link #54
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Seras actually says, "Saa... Yes, My Master!" ('Well then... Yes, My Master!') not "Master, yes My Master."

See, I didn't like the TV series that much because they took the edge off Alucard and drastically changed his style. In the manga he always seemed like he could snap at any moment, like a real monster - it also seemed to be a mystery how he was kept under control at all. He didn't care about anything or anyone, aside from Integral, people were just things to him and he was content resort to violence whenever he wanted to. However, in the TV series, he was too human, too preachy and less likely to just explode with abhorent levels of violence. It was like they gave him a bible and prozac IV. >.>

For such a dark and gothic series rock was the last thing that fit the bill, in my opinion. Sure it was an interesting change and the music is fine on its own, but it never sat well with me. The only tracks of the original score I liked in the series were the chamber-esque and choir tracks, everything else just seems inappropriate for the overall dark theme of the series.

I prefer the manga over the original TV series so the SD scenes don't bother me at all. They're meant to lighten the mood and ease tension between the more dramatic and action filled sections of the story, something they do quite well even in the OVA.

To me, at least, this Hellsing seems more like the original Hellsing (manga) and the way it was meant to be.
Old 2006-02-13, 08:31   Link #55
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Seras actually says, "Saa... Yes, My Master!" ('Well then... Yes, My Master!') not "Master, yes My Master."
I can't quite remember how the "saa" is intoned, but I think it's supposed to be "sir" (as in "Sir, yes sir!").

Quote:
See, I didn't like the TV series that much because they took the edge off Alucard and drastically changed his style. In the manga he always seemed like he could snap at any moment, like a real monster
Appropriate enough - in vol 3 of the manga Walter describes Alucard as being a "real live monster", as "elevator action" clearly shows:
Spoiler for example:

Quote:
To me, at least, this Hellsing seems more like the original Hellsing (manga) and the way it was meant to be.
Yup. Often in the anime version of a manga series, the characters "feel" different and the stories "feel" different - meaning, if you liked the manga, it can be hard to like what feels like an incorrect interpretation. Manga can be a lot more individualistic (lower budgets = more freedom to experiment, more control from single person = more unique style), so if the manga is good, the anime team should try to build on that, not try to make it more mainstream or different for the sake of being different. Well, that's how I find things anyway.
Old 2006-02-13, 11:24   Link #56
pinomustfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden
So does this hellsing ultimate yet exist? All I've seen is a trailer.
It's kind of strange that the series would be reanimated...while the original hellsing anime wasn't nearly as high in quality as this one seems to be, it was allright.
There has been hellsing projects that have been canceled, and this one has been in the making for rather long.
Is this like, really, totally, for real?
The series will be released, so it is for real. Really.
pinomustfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 12:52   Link #57
hi no ken Jebus

Having skipped the digest I feel sort of left out here. Anyway for the first volume of the OVAs, this was for a lack of a better word awesome. My only gripe was the soundtrack so far, not that it is bad or anything. I think that it's one of the few things that I wanted to see carried over from the Gonzo production. On the other hand we get Norio Wakamoto to play Anderson so it's all kinds of awesome to the nth degree. I loved every minute of it and mega happy to see some of the goofy humor from the manga carried over to the OVAs.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 13:15   Link #58
Snoop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
In the Japanese manga, she says something like "Sir yes sir, my masterrrrrr".
Simply ridiculous.

Uh, so, I haven't watched the OVA entirely, just watched the Bonnie and Clide part (in addition to the digest part I had already watched), and, well, I'm afraid to say that it still sucks.
Oh yes I'm really disppointed by this OVA.

While they claim to stay close to the manga, they changed the scene when Alucard rings the doorbell. That's an overkill !! Does Alucard's gun hold an infinite amount of ammo ? The action is rushed, the CG don't blend well, the style has vanished somewhere, and most of all, the music... Gawd, that's awful ! "Broken English" edited on/mute/on/mute, not only is that cheap and unfitting, but like someone said, it feels too much like cinema music. In fact, the whole OVA smells of American comics...

I watched that part of the Gonzo series, the art may be yucky, but man was that cool !! The tunnel thing was a good change from the manga, and they took the time to set the Alucard's line. Not to mention the awesome "Logos naki world - Malcolm X ni sasagu" BGM. (Note : I usually hate rock music)
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 16:54   Link #59
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop'
In the Japanese manga, she says something like "Sir yes sir, my masterrrrrr".
Simply ridiculous.
That they should alter a non-sensical line? That line has always bothered me, the fact that they fixed it is an obvious improvement.

Quote:
While they claim to stay close to the manga, they changed the scene when Alucard rings the doorbell. That's an overkill !!
They left out a scene... Oh Noes!!11!1one. While seeing Alucard waiting on the other side of the door with his gun to the peep hole would have been cool, the scene isn't any worse off without it.

Quote:
Does Alucard's gun hold an infinite amount of ammo?
It's a common affliction in near every genre; be it animation, Hong Kong action or Hollywood. It's one of those things you need to look past. -.-

Quote:
In fact, the whole OVA smells of American comics...
You're entitled to you opinion but be careful, some of us like American comics.

Quote:
I watched that part of the Gonzo series, the art may be yucky, but man was that cool !! The tunnel thing was a good change from the manga, and they took the time to set the Alucard's line. Not to mention the awesome "Logos naki world - Malcolm X ni sasagu" BGM. (Note : I usually hate rock music)
See, that change was a massive inconsistency to me and not because they actually changed it. This is Alucard using his powers on some twobit piece of trash insta-vampire, the entire scene conflict with later characterizations. Alucard would not even lift a finger to fight against Luke, a superior insta-vampire, until he had proven that he was somehow better than his inta-vampire counterparts. Alucard exerting himself in such a manner against those two is a sizable inconsistency.

I just think this incarnation is the better of the two.
Old 2006-02-13, 17:12   Link #60
Snoop'

Well well...
I took the time to watch the OVA carefully and have just finished it.

Hm, OK, let's say it's not as bad as I might have feared. They added some dialogue scene amidst the action scene... Integra at the beginning wasn't huge-breasted like in the TV series, LOL. And Alucard at the very end was cute.

Now that said, the use of music (not the sound, which is good) still bothers me. Kind of... sometimes it lacks in the background, and sometimes it just comes out of nowhere... Mmh, hard to explain, as I still have the TV series music in mind. BTW try to play the OVA with the sound of the TV series, it changes a lot. XDDDD

Concerning the ammo, I know it's not elegant to bitch about it (and usually I like "style over substance"), for example Anderson pulling thousands of baillonettes out of his yojigen-sleeve is OK with me, it's just tha... hey, this gun is not a machine-gun !

As for the tunnel scene, it sure is inconsistent, but I wanted to point out that it was simply cool. Inconsistent, but cool and with an awesome music.

Uh, they didn't change the "masterrrr" line in the OVA, I think ?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Luke&Valentine, so that I can quit comparing two incomparable things.
Oh BTW, I'm half-Japanese half-French so the thing about American comics only reflects my personal and limited point of view, I apologize if I expressed myself in an awkward or offensive way. What I want to say is that it is not a good thing for a Japanese anime to force itself to have an "American feeling" just to please the US audience.

Last edited by Snoop'; 2006-02-13 at 17:28.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, seinen