Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2003-12-13, 08:00   Link #1
gungguotcom
Inactive Member

Is this ok/legal

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed.
If i encode the unlicensed anime themes to mp3s and share it over the web, will it be ok or is it legal enough?

Cheers!
gungguotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-13, 09:26   Link #2
Love Witch
Trying to think...

It's never legal, even sharing unlicensed anime is illegal. But because it's unlicensed the chance we'll "get caught" is much smaller
Love Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-13, 10:46   Link #3
Lancer McCloud
Beliving a sign of Z

It is most likely not legal. Even if the anime is not licensed the people that made the music probably have their music licensed.
Lancer McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 17:15   Link #4
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Just because it isn't "licensed" doesn't mean that the artist and publisher's copyrights don't apply. You have an astonishing number of ways to acquire items from overseas nowadays, J-List.com, YesAsia.com, CDJapan.com, even Ebay. (Provided you are old enough to have a credit card.)

So it is and probably always will be illegal to download music for free.

The arguements that come from the other side are that since there is a HUGE entertainment subsidy levied in Japan, (The Japan version of a US movie will cost 4500 yen, while in the US it will still be $10-$12...this is why DVDs are region coded...and why region coding is the Devil's work.) you should have a lot more leeway in downloading a track to hear samples of it.

However, since the songs are most likely IN the anime you're watching you've had more than enough opportunity to hear them (unlike, say, not being able to listen to smaller artists' work due to limited access to Japanese radio over here.) that's not really an issue either, unless there were some unheard tracks on the CD and that's all you were buying it for.

In conclusion, you should probably go buy the CD, and this is not "ok/legal" in this situation.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 07:23   Link #5
e2-
Genius!

Who cares if its legal or not
e2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 12:01   Link #6
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2-
I'm pretty sure the 200+ people who have been sued by the RIAA care very deeply about whether it was legal or not.
Old 2003-12-20, 12:22   Link #7
Nemesis1911
Winterstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I'm pretty sure the 200+ people who have been sued by the RIAA care very deeply about whether it was legal or not.
Because of the consequences, ne?
Without the consequences, who cares?
It's not that simple, no, but no point in making a big fuss over it I guess... if you want to share/host mp3s I don't think they will complain [not from anime, at least]. Hey, after all, you're doing them a favor by promoting their music and thus perhaps increasing sales.

Most people's signature images here are probably made from copyrighted material, but you don't see many mention that.
Bottom line, for me at least, is to not take this too seriously.
And besides, the RIAA can only go after people that copy/pirate music licensed in America, right? That certainly rules out a couple of billion people who can get away without worrying too much about getting caught...
Maybe I got it all wrong.
Nemesis1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 13:51   Link #8
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith

Oh cause those of us who do are more likely to HELP CREATE MORE OF WHAT WE LIKE than the useless parasites that just hinder and kill that which they like.

Don't be such a twit.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 23:32   Link #9
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Oh cause those of us who do are more likely to HELP CREATE MORE OF WHAT WE LIKE than the useless parasites that just hinder and kill that which they like.
This is exactly what I say when ever I see some retard post garbage like this. Of course these threads only attract more people saying the same garbage about how they're never gonna be caught and how cool it makes them to download music off the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis1911
you're doing them a favor by promoting their music
That is true, but it will not lead to a signifigant amount of increased sales. It'll just lead to more people having the song. If they don't have the money for the song, they don't deserve it. People obviously don't understand how this economy works. When someone contributes something to society they are given something in return for doing what ever it is that they did. Since it wouldn't work to well for us to trade things directly (Ie a haircut for 2 CDs.) We are all payed money. Money represents work that you have done. They are providing a service to you so you should allow them to get compensated for it. They don't do it because it's something cool to do. They do it because it makes them money. If you want people to continue to create for you, you MUST PAY THEM.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote