AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Old 2010-04-24, 05:39   Link #1
NeoSam

Amagami SS generic discussion thread

アマガミ
Amagami

The love simulation game Amagami by Enterbrain for the PS2 will be getting a TV anime adaptation:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20100424

The anime will be titled Amagami SS (アマガミSS), and is scheduled to start broadcast in Summer 2010.

The game was released on March 19th, 2009.

Official site for the game:
http://www.amagami.info/

Staff:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Original Work: Enterbrain
Director and Series Composition: Hiraike Yoshimasa
Script: Kimura Noboru, Machida Touko
Character Design: Gouda Hiroaki
Supervisor, Composition Collaboration: Takayama Kisai, Sakamoto Toshihiro
Art Director: Takahashi Maho
Color Design: Matsuyama Aiko
Editor: Hirose Kiyoshi
Composite Director: Katou Yuugi (???)
Audio Director: Iida Satoki
Music: Oomori Toshiyuki
Animation Production: AIC

Support site:
http://www.amagami-ouen.com/

Cast:

Tachibana Junichi: Maeno Tomoaki
Ayatsuji Tsukasa: Naduka Kaori
Sakurai Rihoko: Shintani Ryouko
Tanamachi Kaoru: Satou Rina
Nakata Sae: Konno Hiromi
Nanasaki Ai: Yukana
Morishima Haruka: Itou Shizuka
Tachibana Miya: Asumi Kana
Umehara Masayoshi: Terashima Takuma

Wiki entry for the game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagami

VNDB's entry for the game:
http://vndb.org/v1281

There are 5 male oriented manga adaptations of this game:

A seinen manga titled Amagami precious diary that's serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young Animal. The manga is drawn by Shinonome Tarou.

A seinen manga titled Amagami Love goes on! that's serialized in the seinen manga magazine Dengeki Maoh. The manga is drawn by Kamino Ryuya.

A shounen/seinen manga titled Amagami Sincerely yours that's serialized in the male oriented web comic magazine Famitsu Comic Clear. The manga is drawn by Sakura Kotetsu.

A shounen/seinen 4-panel manga titled AMAGAMIっ! that's serialized in the male oriented web comic magazine Famitsu Comic Clear. The manga is drawn by piaisai.

A shounen/seinen manga anthology titled Amagami - Various Artists - that's published under the male oriented bishoujo comic imprint Magi-Cu Comics.

Genre: Shounen, Seinen, Romance

Last edited by NeoSam; 2010-06-06 at 01:48.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 05:44   Link #2
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Genre: Shounen, Seinen, Romance
Here's hoping it stays in that genre this time and not go into Josei territory, somewhere in lines of Hatsukoi Limited anime was handled would fit well for Amagami.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2010-04-24 at 10:32.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 06:04   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Darn, slowpoke-d before NeoSam. Copypasta from duplicate thread. Someone help with deleting my other thread?

The re'nai romance simulation game, Amagami is getting an anime adaption under the title of .

Quote:
Originally Posted by From ANN
Made by Enterbrain of Kimikiss fame, Amagami centers around a second-year high school boy who find himself uneasy during Christmas time due to an experience in the past. However, this year at Christmas, he gets his last chance to ask out a graduating female senior named Haruka Morishima — or one of several other classmates. The story of the anime will be arranged in an omnibus format, with each heroine getting her own version of the story animated. Each heroine will sing her own version of the ending theme song.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Official site : http://www.amagami-ouen.com/

Staff :
Animation Studio : AIC (Nyan Koi!, Asu no Yoichi )
Director: Yoshimasa Hiraike ( Working!, Kaleido Star S2 )
Script: Noboru Kimura, Touko Machida ( My-Hime manga, GA)
Anime Character Design: Hiroaki Gohda ( Onegai! Teacher/Twins )
Music: Toshiyuki Omori ( School Rumble, Pretear )

The original game's character designer Kisai Takayama (Kimikiss pure rouge) and producer Toshihiro Sakamoto are working as supervisors and collaborators on the anime's story composition.

Voice Cast :
Unchanged from the game. A star-studded cast for most parts.

Junichi Tachibana: Tomoaki Maeno
Tsukasa Ayatsuji: Kaori Nazuka
Rihoko Sakurai: Ryoko Shintani
Kaoru Tanamachi: Rina Satou
Sae Nakata: Hiromi Konno
Ai Nanasaki: Yukana
Haruka Morishima: Shizuka Itou
Miya Tachibana: Kana Asumi
Masayoshi Umehara: Takuma Terashima

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 09:02   Link #4
Midonin
Last Engage

As that one guy who's been obsessively releasing the game's character songs, it's up to me to watch this regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Here's hoping it stays in that genre this time and not go into Josei territory.
I don't think you're using that terminology right. The show didn't actually change demographics. It just experimented with a new storytelling style.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 09:26   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
The story of the anime will be arranged in an omnibus format, with each heroine getting her own version of the story animated. Each heroine will sing her own version of the ending theme song.
Doing it right. Though I guess it depends on just how much episode they'll spend on each girl.

Edit: I just there was a link to the PV in the Moonphase link posted by NeoSam above. On this page.

Looks pretty good.

Last edited by Kanon; 2010-04-24 at 09:59.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 10:32   Link #6
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Doing it right. Though I guess it depends on just how much episode they'll spend on each girl.
The manga adaptation is doing this as well, it's by the same author who did the manga version for KimiKiss. This time though the first girl story is going longer than one volume unlike in the KimiKiss manga where it was one volume per girl. Since there's 6 girls hopefully I'll be 24 ep series with each arc being 4 eps for each girl story.

Quote:
I don't think you're using that terminology right. The show didn't actually change demographics. It just experimented with a new storytelling style.
But it did change demographics by going a different genre, it wasn't a shonen romance story anymore, it had more of a Josei type feel to it. And it failed badly in Japan because of it. It showed that the original audience of the game buyers did not like this direction that they went with, it pretty much left the original audience out to the cold. So staying in the same genre would be for the best otherwise it's gonna bomb again.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:38   Link #7
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
But it did change demographics by going a different genre, it wasn't a shonen romance story anymore, it had more of a Josei type feel to it.
How does adding one or two more characters and slightly changing up the character dynamics make it an entirely different genre/demographic? As far as I can tell, it was hovering in the area it was supposed to.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:44   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
But it did change demographics by going a different genre, it wasn't a shonen romance story anymore, it had more of a Josei type feel to it. And it failed badly in Japan because of it. It showed that the original audience of the game buyers did not like this direction that they went with, it pretty much left the original audience out to the cold. So staying in the same genre would be for the best otherwise it's gonna bomb again.
I would also say that you're wrong that it changed demographics -- it was still a shounen/seinen romance story and didn't change genres, storytelling style aside. But at the same time, I would agree that the way they're doing this anime seems very much a response to the criticisms they received from game fans about KimiKiss and appears designed to bring things more in line with the successful manga. In fact, the precedence for this omnibus style anime adaptation in this genre probably goes back to Sister Princess RePure from 8 years ago (where the original Sister Princess anime was linear, and less popular with game fans but more popular in English circles, and RePure was more omnibus style and far more popular with game fans and less popular around here). KimiKiss was also widely liked in English circles, so we'll see if this adaptation follows the trend of omnibus romances being less popular around here.

Also, with it starting in the summer, I'm inclined to guess it might just be 12 episodes, but we'll see.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:50   Link #9
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
How does adding one or two more characters and slightly changing up the character dynamics make it an entirely different genre/demographic? As far as I can tell, it was hovering in the area it was supposed to.
That didn't chance the genre/demo it was the way they told the story which felt more of a Josei feel tone to it, the anime didn't feel it was shonen romance at all more like Honey and Clover tone which was Josei as well. I mean if it didn't change the genre than why did a bunch of the fans complained in Japan about the tone of the series? Hell the DVD sales sold badly while the re-relased of the game that came out at that time sold good. Maybe this was all a master plan by the game makers to make things feel so different in the anime that it would drive the original game buyers to rebuy their game in protest.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:53   Link #10
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
it was the way they told the story which felt more of a Josei feel tone to it, the anime didn't feel it was shonen romance at all more like Honey and Clover tone which was Josei as well.
There is no absolute way to tell a story, so despite what it "feels" like (and considering how little exposure that demographic gets, I can't help but wonder how much of your statements are conjecture), it still was what it was all along.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:58   Link #11
ZODDGUTS

Personally I had not problem with it at all since I never played the game. But I do understand why the original fans of the game would hate the anime version if they went feel a different tone feel to it. I'll be like finding out my favorite manga like Vagabond was turn into an anime only to see it had a different tone to it like it was Josei now instead Seinen I would not be pleased. I would give it a try but I would rather prefer if it stay in the same genre. Staying in the genre for KimiKiss would have work like it did for Hatsukoi Limited, they may have change the perspective of the story to the girls but it still had a shonen tone feel to it.

Quote:
Also, with it starting in the summer, I'm inclined to guess it might just be 12 episodes, but we'll see.
Ah that would be disappointing guess I'll be two eps for each girl.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:00   Link #12
Midonin
Last Engage

But it did stay in the same genre.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:03   Link #13
ZODDGUTS

If that's what you want to think than sure go ahead while those people Japan certainly felt differently about it that's for sure.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:05   Link #14
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm not denying the low sales, but equating it with a change in genre/demographic, which you can't seem to prove actually happened other than you "felt" it was like that, is trying to correlate something with a seemingly non-existent cause.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:10   Link #15
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

2 episodes per heroine is just... no. Though I'm kinda skeptical on it being 12 episodes. Everyone expected that when Kimikiss aired to, only to be surprised.

I can see why omnibus might not be favoured by certain communities. It tells a complete, individualistic story within one short time-frame before moving on to other, leaving no more room for discussions after that one arc ends.

That, and the internet community just loves shipping wars. Omnibus may satisfy everyone, but it won't sate the competitive spirit of 'may the best lone girl win.'

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 11:14   Link #16
ZODDGUTS

But they were bitching about it how it felt like Josei story instead of a shonen story. I remember someone posting a link to 2ch or some japanese forum about it.

Anyways either way I doubt it will turn out like Kimi Kiss did since this has a different staff might as well move on going a bit off topic. Looking forward to this since it has the same director of Working!! which I'm liking so far. Hiroaki Gohda doing the character designs eh? Looking at the preview he did a good job staying close to how they looked in the game. It's been awhile since he's done anything since the 2nd season of Ah! My Goddess, shame we never got a sequel to that.

Quote:
That, and the internet community just loves shipping wars. Omnibus may satisfy everyone, but it won't sate the competitive spirit of 'may the best lone girl win.'
Heh. I'm already a fan of that one messy hair looking girl.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:46   Link #17
TJR

Quote:
But they were bitching about it how it felt like Josei story instead of a shonen story. I remember someone posting a link to 2ch or some japanese forum about it.
I don't think anyone's denying that. However, by saying that Kimikiss changed demographics, you're employing that they started targeting women, which isn't true.

They may have misunderstood the intolerance for multi-character romances among otaku. They may also have downplayed the sexual atmosphere (which isn't usually a problem, given the success of shows like Kanon or AIR).

However, Kimikiss was always geared toward the same audience, which is why it failed. Most likely, the director wanted to present a different angle to a typical harem formula to make it more refreshing for fans. Nevertheless, making it "josei" was never the intention. Rather, they added a few twists to the standard shounen formula (inspired by female-oriented romances) that otaku couldn't stomach for reasons they didn't anticipate.

You can also think back to Kannagi and the uproar (fortunately, that occurred after the series already won so many fans. However, if they'd established it from the start - in fact, throw in some recurring confirmation that Nagi had slept with several guys in the past but present the same show otherwise - who knows how things might've turned out?). Being able to read the audience and understand their way of thinking is crucial.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 12:00   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
2 episodes per heroine is just... no. Though I'm kinda skeptical on it being 12 episodes. Everyone expected that when Kimikiss aired to, only to be surprised.
I definitely hope that isn't the case, but statistically speaking the number of Summer shows that run longer than 1-cour are only about 25% of all new starts. Plus, given the short timeframe between announcement and airing, and the fact that they may be a bit skittish after KimiKiss, it wouldn't surprise me. We'll see though...
Old 2010-04-24, 12:31   Link #19
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

I definitely have some mixed feelings about this omnibus format. A rushed story arc for each heroine vs a long, more fleshed out one for 1-2 heroines like in Kimikiss. It wouldn't be bad if this was 24 episodes, but I'm doubtful that'll happen.

In any case, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the game, I'm really looking forward to this.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 22:59   Link #20
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWarrior View Post
I definitely have some mixed feelings about this omnibus format. A rushed story arc for each heroine vs a long, more fleshed out one for 1-2 heroines like in Kimikiss. It wouldn't be bad if this was 24 episodes, but I'm doubtful that'll happen.

In any case, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the game, I'm really looking forward to this.
Super agreed. I think doing each heroine is a great idea. SOmething I have always wanted in fact. However, if they do a short series and not spend enough time...it'll suck. I think they are trying to make up for Kimikiss since fans of the game went bananas about how they did it and the girls they chose. However, I thought it was great and loved how they split the protagonist into two characters to flesh out more of the game.

Tags
romance, seinen, shounen