AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 15:31   Link #1
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Running 1080Hi10P On Low-Power Desktop

I'm dealing with an ET1352-01 eMachine with an AMD Athlon II 160u processor (currently only 1 core unlocked). The machine runs Windows 7 x64, with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM and a Western Digital 5000AAKS HDD.

Having tested with numerous desktops and laptops, the best setup I've found is to install CCCP (latest) for the codecs and playing the videos with smplayer (using mplayer2).

I'm trying to get 1080Hi10P video to run smoothly on this machine, but it lags regularly when playing these intensive files. Since this is such an obviously underspec'd machine, I don't really know where to begin trying to optimize it. The cheapest AND SIMPLEST method is always appreciated. Purely software fixes are optimal.

In case using a better hard drive fixes my problem, I could install a SSD, but I'm unsure if the motherboard (a generic ASUS MA061L-D3 uATX) supports SATA 6.0 GB/s. Anything that can confirm or deny it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 2011-10-21, 16:42   Link #2
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

You can try using LAV Filters with CCCP or another MPC-HC based package, but you'll likely need more CPU power as well. Hi10P is CPU intensive no matter what software you run. Hard drive shouldn't be an issue.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 17:01   Link #3
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

I was thinking that it might need a better video card, but I'll look into the CPU upgrades. AMD CPU's are pretty inexpensive compared to Intel. Any ideas on which to look at? I'd prefer to not modify everything else (such as the power supply) if possible.
Old 2011-10-21, 17:25   Link #4
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I'm pretty sure that no GPU solution does Hi10p yet.

OutFoxZero has the best software solution, don't think it will be enough though. A single core Athlon II at 1.6GHz (Are you sure you have a 160u? 1.8GHz is stock) is rather slow any way you look at it, there are faster CPU's that struggle with Hi10p.

-Buy a new computer. Simplest, most likely to work.

-Upgrade CPU. Cheapest option. Any AM3 CPU should do, though I have some concerns about cooling/power since the 160u is a 20w chip, everything else runs much hotter and eats more power (An average laptop chip is 35w, never mind a desktop one). Considering you don't seem to want something simple, unless you really want to save cash, I wouldn't go this route.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 20:52   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You can try using LAV Filters with CCCP or another MPC-HC based package, but you'll likely need more CPU power as well. Hi10P is CPU intensive no matter what software you run. Hard drive shouldn't be an issue.
I'll try that; I've recently swapped the 1.7Ghz Pentium 4 for a 2.4Ghz processor, and added 512mb of memory.

The only other option for me is to downsize the video (to, say, DVD resolution) by converting it, even if it will be time-consuming.
Old 2011-10-21, 21:39   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The only other option for me is to downsize the video (to, say, DVD resolution) by converting it, even if it will be time-consuming.
I was under the impression Dante wanted the quality associated with Hi10p. Otherwise just download the XviDs.
Old 2011-10-22, 02:19   Link #7
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I was under the impression Dante wanted the quality associated with Hi10p. Otherwise just download the XviDs.
I'm trying to get a donated eMachine to run the most intensive video for my college's anime club. As such, funding is tight and eMachines are at least easily upgradable.

That said, I did some further research on the upgradable hardware. THIS CPU is the fastest one that was possible to order with the computer itself. I'm sure I could find an even faster one, but at least I know the BIOS will accept this one and the CPU runs at 65W, which is the upper threshold of the motherboard and power supply.

Does anyone think this will be fast enough to do the job? Keep in mind that I would like the CPU to last a few years until the next intensive codec/format comes along.
Old 2011-10-22, 02:29   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

That Phenom would be able to run 720's no problem. In my experience the late generation dual cores from Intel was enough to run 1080 video's with little to no problems whatsoever. I'm not familiar with AMD cores but this Tri-core should be enough to run 1080 vids, just make sure to close any unnecessary background processes before you do to maximize the juice.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 02:37   Link #9
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
I'm trying to get a donated eMachine to run the most intensive video for my college's anime club. As such, funding is tight and eMachines are at least easily upgradable.

That said, I did some further research on the upgradable hardware. THIS CPU is the fastest one that was possible to order with the computer itself. I'm sure I could find an even faster one, but at least I know the BIOS will accept this one and the CPU runs at 65W, which is the upper threshold of the motherboard and power supply.

Does anyone think this will be fast enough to do the job? Keep in mind that I would like the CPU to last a few years until the next intensive codec/format comes along.
A little overpriced, don't you think? For that money you might get a quad-core and a new mainboard (which you probably don't need anyways).
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 03:18   Link #10
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
A little overpriced, don't you think? For that money you might get a quad-core and a new mainboard (which you probably don't need anyways).
Oh, you noticed. Well, the 705e (the most powerful CPU that the manual specified) has been discontinued. I didn't want to chance buying a faulty refurbished model, and the "new" ones are at least this much. Incidentally, it actually has a fourth core that can be unlocked, should I ever try to (I hear it's supposed to be pretty easy).

The only reason why I'm considering pursuing this route is because this upgrade is pretty straight-forward: just pop off the current CPU, add the new CPU, apply the thermal grease + heat sink, and I should be good to go. I highly doubt I can get a new motherboard AND a new CPU for $160, and even if I could, I would likely have to change out the power supply and anything else that would act wonky because the new power draw would be over the designed 65W.

Unless there's a net top floating around for under $200 that can do what I described (1080Hi10p) without stutter or lag.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:58   Link #11
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Its more expensive mainly because its a low voltage chip. The higher end Ph2X3's draw 95 watts I believe. What is the size of the power supply anyways? If its barely enough to power the X3, unlocking the 4th core would push power consumption over it. If the power supply is large enough and the mobo supports higher wattage CPU's, I think it would be better to get a non low voltage chip since there is a lot more performance for a lot less if you don't need to worry about keeping power consumption under 65 watts.

As for its ability to do 1080p Hi10p. I underclocked my Athlon II X3 down to 2500MHz. This should be slower than the CPU you linked to a bit. It doesn't seem to be having any problems.