AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-31, 12:31   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Another - Character Discussion - Misaki Mei

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Misaki Mei related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Another fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2012-02-01 at 11:25.
Old 2012-01-31, 15:54   Link #2
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Who? I don't acknowledge her existence.

Endless "I'm gonna live" Soul
Old 2012-01-31, 16:24   Link #3
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

This thread should not exist since she doesn't exist

More serioulsy, I like her of course and uh...that's all. For thos who read the manga (until chapter 10) :
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2012-01-31, 16:29   Link #4
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
This thread should not exist since she doesn't exist

More serioulsy, I like her of course and uh...that's all. For thos who read the manga (until chapter 10) :
Spoiler for Manga:
I'm pretty sure she's human and/or 'real'; I think the question here is how much of her is 'real'.

Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2012-01-31, 16:37   Link #5
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Well in chapter 9,
Spoiler for Chapter 9:
Old 2012-01-31, 16:57   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I'm pretty sure she's human and/or 'real'; I think the question here is how much of her is 'real'.

Spoiler for Reply:
I still think Mei just like to make stuff up for the lulz and I figure that that's just one of those cases along with her saying she doesn't remember the elevator conversation she had with Kouichi and then there'd the whole "I don't exist " declaration.
Old 2012-01-31, 16:58   Link #7
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Well in chapter 9,
Spoiler for Chapter 9:
Spoiler for Reply:

@toto: If the OP is anything to go, I think she was serious in that one instance. As for the elevator convo and that declaration, she doesn't really come across as a person who'd that just for the lulz. Or maybe she would. Who knows?
Old 2012-02-01, 04:30   Link #8
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Alright, I've mentioned this in the other thread, but I don't think there's any harm in mentioning this here.

According to me, Misaki Mei is:

1: Real
2: Living
3: Human
4: Probably not quite "normal"
5: Not the exact cause of the deaths, but probably does have something to do with it

-Most likely, some, most, or all the class 3 iterations have a student who is her equivalent.
-The rules of the curse seem to state that in order to avoid an unfortunate and untimely demise, her existence must not be acknowledged.
-Even talking about her seems like a bad idea, which is why Kouchi has been kept in the dark right up until now.
-Her fake eye being able to see things that shouldn't be seen is probably true.

There's various other possibilities, but to me, and for now, this seems the most likely.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:55   Link #9
Unknown Soldier
:D

1: Cute
2: Adorable
3: Eyepatch Moe
4: Slightly unsettling
5: Pale

I love the VA who does her voice too. She is presented in a very understated, slightly monotone manner, but also cute and with a slightly threatening undercurrent. She's also a master at trolling, poor Kouichi doesn't know which way is up after she finishes a conversation with him. If you get too close to her, people around you start to die in gruesome and bloody ways, but it's worth it!
Old 2012-02-01, 09:26   Link #10
LKK

Assuming Mei is alive, I wonder why she was chosen to be this year's persona non grata?

Random lottery? That seems unlikely. Is it just the name coincidence? Does she have some sort of familial connection to the original Misaki? Could the doll's eye have marked her as "someone different" and therefore make her this year's candidate? Or is it something that hasn't been revealed to us yet?

By the way, I haven't decided whether I'm in the Mei is a Ghost or Mei is Alive camp yet. Every time I lean more strongly toward one theory, the show gives me a reason to lean toward the other. That's a fine piece of writing there.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-01, 09:47   Link #11
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Also assuming Mei is real, who were the other stand-ins from the previous years? What happened to them?

And yet, the show seems to suggest there were no stand-ins at all, with empty chairs and desks.

Endless "My head hurts" Soul
Old 2012-02-01, 13:43   Link #12
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Also assuming Mei is real, who were the other stand-ins from the previous years? What happened to them?

And yet, the show seems to suggest there were no stand-ins at all, with empty chairs and desks.

Hm, that's a good question. Perhaps the show wants to make us think that they were none because they were forgotten about?
Old 2012-02-01, 14:12   Link #13
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

Well they're in their 3rd year so whoever was a stand-in before would be in highschool....if they're alive.
Old 2012-02-01, 16:47   Link #14
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for Baseless speculah:
Old 2012-02-04, 01:15   Link #15
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Spoiler for Manga:

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2012-02-04, 02:43   Link #16
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Spoiler for Manga:
and that makes her a perfect candidate for being the "ignored" person.. she pretty much takes her role seriously and warns Koichi not to come near her..

but Koichi is just ... stalker much?
Old 2012-02-07, 08:39   Link #17
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Of course that's all speculation. She could just as easily be supernatural. But I like the idea that she's not because it opens up the possibility that the town's "countermeasures" for the curse may be more evil or unsettling than the supposed curse itself, and I rather like suspense stories of that variety.
Misaki must be alive.

The person that is being ignored must be chosen before the extra dead person is added because the act of choosing the person to be ignored requires acknowledgement of the person which means they aren't being ignored. Thus the person that is ignored can never be the extra dead person. Since Misaki was chosen to be ignored, she must be alive.
Old 2012-02-07, 13:43   Link #18
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post

1: Cute
2: Adorable
3: Eyepatch Moe
4: Slightly unsettling
5: Pale
Quoted for truth.

Seems like there will be more and more moe moments between Mei and Kouichi. After all the two of them are now effectively isolated in the class and can only socialize with each other.

Old 2012-02-07, 15:35   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Up until the latest episode I referred to her as having ghost moe going on, but now perhaps that's not the case at all.
Old 2012-02-07, 20:38   Link #20
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Spoiler for Manga:

To mislead us I guess, I feel that in the latest episode that she's looking more 'colored' and less unearthly pale since the 'revelation'.

And I don't mean from that pic that Doraneko posted
Closed Thread