AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-08-21, 11:11   Link #941
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Misato basically became Gendo at that point. I mean the words "pirate Misato" make me imagine something else entirely.
Misato became a grade one b!tch, but putting her in the same level as Gendo is a little too extreme. Gendo would have blown Shingi head when he was escaping in EVA-09, saying that all is according to plan.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 19:24   Link #942
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I paid a visit last night to the Eva exhibit at the Matsuya Ginza store - highly recommended if you're an Eva fan in Tokyo. What really strikes me is just how much this show continues to have a direct IV drip into the consciousness of the public. Place was packed on a Wednesday night (the rest of the store was a ghost town) with tourists, locals, kids, teens, adults... Eva is a unique cultural phenomenon that no amount of commercial whoring and theatrical missteps can unmake.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 21:10   Link #943
Alchemist007
*Author

I'd call that unfortunate for the sake of quality in this latest installment.
Old 2013-08-21, 21:55   Link #944
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
Misato became a grade one b!tch, but putting her in the same level as Gendo is a little too extreme. Gendo would have blown Shingi head when he was escaping in EVA-09, saying that all is according to plan.
Gone are the days where you saw Misato just being a grade A likeable Nymphomaniac, where every time you heard 7 days you winced from pain if you were a boy.
Old 2013-08-23, 04:59   Link #945
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

*sigh* Nobody reads anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The characters have turned into some weird Shinji hating assholes (I still can't believe that was supposed to be Katsuragi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
You understand that they DON'T KNOW IF IT'S REALLY SHINJI OR NOT, right? (I mean, when they wheel him out, it says "S. IKARI ??" on his foot.)

He might be an Angel, he might be... something else...
Old 2013-08-23, 05:23   Link #946
Helius

Quote:
*sigh* Nobody reads anymore...
Whether Shinji is Shinji is not the point. He thinks and acts like Shinji, so what good is it to treat him like trash when you know what he's capable of once he's in emo-mode? Not to mention he's gonna be all the more dangerous and unpredictable if he's really an Angel.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 06:06   Link #947
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Whether Shinji is Shinji is not the point. He thinks and acts like Shinji, so what good is it to treat him like trash when you know what he's capable of once he's in emo-mode? Not to mention he's gonna be all the more dangerous and unpredictable if he's really an Angel.
Because you don't want to feed an Angel sensitive information or military secrets...?
Old 2013-08-23, 06:40   Link #948
Helius

Quote:
Because you don't want to feed an Angel sensitive information or military secrets...?
Still doesn't address the issue that is the rest of 3.0 which transpired because of precisely that.

Though I'll give you the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but what, bringing him aboard "Humanity's Last Hope", in full view of the battle bridge and the EVAs in operation instead of keeping him on ice... the secret is pretty much out.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 06:58   Link #949
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Still doesn't address the issue that is the rest of 3.0 which transpired because of precisely that.

Though I'll give you the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but what, bringing him aboard "Humanity's Last Hope", in full view of the battle bridge and the EVAs in operation instead of keeping him on ice... the secret is pretty much out.
Yeah, that was kinda dumb, waking him up five minutes before launch... but did they even know an Angel was attacking at that point...?
Old 2013-08-23, 07:02   Link #950
mols

Quote:

Exactly, and i had the impression that they "only" wanted him NOT to use an EVA... To achieve this objective the best option would be to explain everything clearly and assume the shared blame (because it was indeed shared between the pilots and the ones helping them since they were all working towards an Impact (of course, none of them knew that, not even Shinji).

They wanted to create drama, and did not think the best way to do that, sadly.
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 07:37   Link #951
dmaxzero

No.
Asuka behavior is inconsistent with the idea that he could be an angel. The moment she appears she does not treat him as one, but as someone she has a grudge/hate with. If he is considered to be a potential angel what was he doing in the bridge of the Wunder? That is another inconsistent behavior doing merely for the sake of plot. And that is the issue, everything is done for the sake of plot and not for characters or world setting. They put him in there only for the sake of showing the hate of others and the new absurd crew. You have a 14 year gap and everything is for plot sake, its non sense and the whole reason I have to dislike this movie, because you have no setting to sustain the plot actions.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 16:41   Link #952
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
Exactly, and i had the impression that they "only" wanted him NOT to use an EVA... To achieve this objective the best option would be to explain everything clearly and assume the shared blame (because it was indeed shared between the pilots and the ones helping them since they were all working towards an Impact (of course, none of them knew that, not even Shinji).

They wanted to create drama, and did not think the best way to do that, sadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
No.
Asuka behavior is inconsistent with the idea that he could be an angel. The moment she appears she does not treat him as one, but as someone she has a grudge/hate with. If he is considered to be a potential angel what was he doing in the bridge of the Wunder? That is another inconsistent behavior doing merely for the sake of plot. And that is the issue, everything is done for the sake of plot and not for characters or world setting. They put him in there only for the sake of showing the hate of others and the new absurd crew. You have a 14 year gap and everything is for plot sake, its non sense and the whole reason I have to dislike this movie, because you have no setting to sustain the plot actions.
As Helius said... 20/20 hindsight. Where were you guys in 2010?
Old 2013-08-29, 10:55   Link #953
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
so what good is it to treat him like trash when you know what he's capable of once he's in emo-mode?
Enlightenment suddenly knocked on my door when I read this sentence.
Quote:
Emo-mode
"Emo-mode" shinji isn't capable of anything but sitting in the corner and silently looking down at the floor while muttering "I mustn't run away, I mustn't run away, I mustn't run away, ..." or something along those lines. Unless you, by some miracle, manage to put him inside Unit 01, emo-shinji is really nothing to be afraid of.
In short, if he really does act like "Shinji", then yes, treating him like trash is the most effective way to deal with him. That would be enough to make him regret being born and never get close to an Eva ever again.

However, that's not the point. That "Shinji" is not the NGE Shinji who's a spineless vegetable that lets himself being submerged by everything, but Rebuild Shinji who actually fights to get back what he wants. Furthermore, what he wanted in the beginning of the movie was Rei. Now, it doesn't matter whether he was treated nicely or not, had things explained to him or not ; none of that wouldn't have changed his actions as long as he believed Rei IV (?) was still alive. If one really wants an effective way to stop him, one should have told him straight away that Rei is gone for good (which Misato & Co did but lacked proofs) and was nothing more than a clone of his mother to begin with (like Fuyutsuki did).
Even so, we all know that no matter how broken from something Rei related he is, it's not something Kaworu can't fix. The guy can easily give him something else to strive for and a reason to pilote an Eva again.
Old 2013-09-01, 12:30   Link #954
Alchemist007
*Author

Rewatched 2.22 on Toonami the other night. It wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but it looks damn near so. I wish they had taken the craziness that happened at the end in a different direction. I think if the director was capable of the first two movies, he's capable of something of that sort again.
Old 2013-09-28, 14:00   Link #955
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

My new T-shirt...

Old 2013-09-28, 17:05   Link #956
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

I guess that my only question to Reckoner is, "Man, you've been really free to say who's a 'real' Eva fan and who isn't... so who appointed you to that role...? Obviously not Anno or Sadamoto, but you act like you've got some authority, so who...?"
Old 2013-09-28, 17:10   Link #957
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Reckoner is Dai eva 13 , he is GOD.
Beyond everything and everyone , beyond himself.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 17:15   Link #958
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
Reckoner is Dai eva 13 , he is GOD.
Beyond everything and everyone , beyond himself.
Heh. He wishes...
Old 2013-10-04, 18:26   Link #959
ukulelembo
Detective

Everybody's Back, Dave!
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 05:21   Link #960
Black Phoenix
Photography is my life!

1.11 was great, just like the first six episodes of the Anime;
2.22 also great, the extra elements and change of the series;
3.33 was going another way, lot of things let to be explained, but still they will be explained in the 4.0 movie when released, including what happened in the 14 years gap between 2.0 and 3.0.

One thing is for sure, Asuka had feelings for Shinji: asking him to do something when retrieving the "cross shaped coffin with Eva 01", acting all tsundere when meting him after he wakeup, getting him prepared to go in the end of the movie. And Mari knows that (pissing Asuka when she is running to Eva 02 after meeting Shinji, asking Shinji in the end to at least do something for the "princess").

Although she in the 2.0 said that she shouldn't use an adult to do what she wanted to do, same thing with Koji saying that shouldn't use a child to do the adult's job, so Mari reasons probably are a little more obscure.

At least is the interpretation I take from the movie. Probably I will see the movie at least 2 more times (each movie) to get the things I missed from the first time.

Over all for me was 1.11>2.22>3.33, each one better that the last, but that is my opinion.

Tags
evangelion, remake