AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 07:50   Link #61
walkofshane

They have to bring Oldbag back. She's a classic
That's a pretty bad a$$ lineup of returning characters. If i can see Fransizka back, I'd be so happy. can't wait for this!
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 10:55   Link #62
Westlo
Lets be reality

[quote]Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies will be priced €25/$30 on the eshop[quote]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...3#post78737953

Based Capcom!

Absolutely hate Nintendo's lack of an account system, but this will be the 3rd digital title I buy from them after Fire Emblem (like you could find it in a shop because Nintendo printed f all copies) and VLR (was on special, wasted buy considering it was on PS+ for Vita a few months later )
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 11:48   Link #63
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Fire Emblem (like you could find it in a shop because Nintendo printed f all copies)
Well, there was plenty of time to pre-order.

That said, glad my estimate was correct and that it was $30. If it had been any higher, I don't think I'd have enough credit on my eshop to get it. Think I had like... $34 left on it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 16:22   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, I don't expect Gyakuten Saiban to generate a lot of discussion, but the utter absence of reactions regarding GS5 is surprising to me.

Anyway, I finished it yesterday, and it was alright, although I can't say I was completely convinced by GS5. I had fun, that's for sure, but some expectations were a bit betrayed there...

First, he storyline was good, with an overarching plot that ties more or less every cases together, due to the plot or the characters (save perhaps case 2). I was sort of surprised they could give a good balance between Apollo and Athena. That said, Phoenix was a bit on the sideline, so it didn't feel like he was the leading attorney... in fact, Athena is what you can consider the main protagonist, for the better and for the worse.
Make no mistake: she is definitely a good character (wiping the floor with Maya and Trucy by a huge margin as a main character or sidekick), but controlling Phoenix was sort of weird because he didn't have his usual presence (and no, the events of GS4 doesn't explain that. It is a narration issue).

In term of graphics, the game is really smooth. First, the 3D cel shading is excellent and doesn't impair the usual charm you had with GS goofy characters. Animations are also spot on for characters quirks, and some camera angles make trials dramatic, in a good sense (I particularly liked how they rotate the camera or have a low angle when Kokone slams the desk).

In term of music... a mixed bag to me. Some parts are really good, but there isn't really any noteworthy track when shit hits the fan. Thankfully, they did a splendid job for Phoenix, Apollo and Athena theme, as well as Blackquill.
I was quite disappointed that they failed the PW episodes tradition as Pursuit - Cornered isn't in the game... not even as a last case hommage.

For the gameplay, Investigations are much less of a pain now that the cursor indicate if you already checked a specific item or not, and the notes in the menu is a good feature, so you can't lose track of what you have to do.
Unfortunately, the trials, while "balanced" between the characters, also were trivialiazed a bit too much. I like the mood matrix and all, but I'm baffled that even on the 3DS, we don't have instances where you had to check an object to determine its relevancy, which was introduced back in GS1 extra case...
I couldn't help but think that the Revizualisation sequence was greatly inspired by Danganronpa's Logical Dive and Climax Inference

Now, the real problem is that the writing suffered a bit too much from the pacing: scenes and circumstances are sometimes off, and even ridiculous for the case premise, making you wonder if the investigators in Blackquill side did their job properly (something that Gumshoe was adept of, but it was expected from him... but Fulbright? Well...).
In fact, the major problem for GS5 was its writing going a wee bit too much all over the place, even more than your usual GS episode. I was quite surprised how disjointed several scenes and discussions were despite they were part of the same chapter. It is worse when most cases force you to go back to yet another investigation day even though you don't really that.
Suffice to say, the usual verbal joust are still amusing and witty, albeit I felt the game lacked of intensity you had with GS1-3.

Also, the game is a wee bit too easy. Nothing close to what the joke GS4 was, but still hardly as brain wrecking as GS1 and GS3 thoughest cases (even GS5's last case tried hiding the true culprit in a very convulated way, but made it too obvious in the end), and while Blackquill has an excellent presence and aura, he isn't as relentless/merciless as Edgeworth or Godot. Because of this, he is sure... "dark" but he isn't really menacing in term of case debating.

In general, it is a good game, but I would only suggest it for GS fans. It is really not the game a newcomer should start with, otherwise they won't really get the real thrill of the series. In a way, GS5 lacks a bit of its humph weight that GS1 and GS3 had.

Pros:
-Excellent graphics and animations
-Good characters: Blackquill for his charisma and Athena, putting Maya and Trucy to shame
-Investigations going smoother with the cursor and notes
-A good balance between Apollo and Athena's skills, while Phoenix's got a bit shafted for the psyche lock.

Cons:
-Pacing is all over the place
-A bit too easy and too short
-Digital only
-Impossible to check out items and all during investigations/trials
-Phoenix nearly on the sidelines
-Case 2 being really silly, even for GS standards.
-Soundtracks a bit disappointing.

I guess the score will be 7/10 for me.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-10-29 at 16:37.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 16:27   Link #65
marvelB

Heh, I actually made a thread for AA5 back when it was first announced. The only reason I can't talk about the game now is because A. I don't have a 3DS, and B. I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague until I'm able to play it, lol. But hey, maybe that AA5 thread can be merged with this one?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 16:32   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess it would be best to split GS1-4 and 5, considering the new platform and all. Going to move the posts.
Old 2013-10-30, 19:51   Link #67
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Can't really say that Phoenix is on sidelines considering that he did case 1, 4 and 5 but I guess considering that Athena is the main character in this installment then I can see that other characters got shafted.

I'm hoping they'll improve mood matrix examination in future games like what they did in blackquill's examinations (combining mood matrix and evidence presentation). The way they did with it makes it pretty easy, but improving it and making it more complex might makes the game more challenging.

Also the way they streamlined investigation part is a great idea for me. I mean, most of the time I got stuck with this game was more of 'where do I need to go' rather than 'what should I examine' or 'how did it works' in every investigation case. So when they give us a guideline on where do i need to go during investigation scene, it gives off the feelings where they just want to cut unnecessary portion of the game rather than just casualizing it. They also don't give us a guide on what to examine in investigation scene so there's still some part on what we need to figure it ourself.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 19:53   Link #68
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Hnnnngh.... trying to hold myself off on this until I pick up a 3DS XL/32 GB SD Card... but it's getting reaaaally hard looking at the gaaame.
Old 2013-11-02, 22:52   Link #69
com_gwp

There can't be this few people who were excited for AA5, can there? Or are people still trying to finish the game and avoiding the spoils?

Anyway I've just finished the game last night, and I've gotta say it's been the most satisfying one since Trials and Tribulations. The cases were all consistently entertaining, and the overarching story is second only to T&T. Admittedly I'm still on a bit of a high, but I don't think my stance on this will change when I revisit this down the road.

Couple of things I really liked:

The new major characters - Athena is a great sidekick and a brilliant protagonist, Blackquill ranks next to Edgy and Godot, and Fulbright despite my initial impressions of being a Gumshoe clone really grew on me.

Multiple protagonists - I'm a bit betrayed that despite the Phoenix Wright label, this was hardly his game at all. Once I got pass that, I really like the way they balanced out all three lawyers across the game, plus the switching-around really helped with the freshness of each case. It's also a big reason in what made the final case great. Polly and Thena got great development in the story, and while Phoenix didn't get quite as much, I liked how they reestablished his character after AA4.

Music - This is where I'm gonna disagree with you, Klashikari. I personally though the music was as strong as ever; excellent remixes of classic AA tunes, great character themes (both new and remixes) and some really strong new tracks. Mood Matrix comes to mind. Classic Pursuit-Cornered is sorely missed, but I don't think it detract from the rest of what we got. And to be fair, only two of the games ever included it.

Streamlined Investigations - Which has been made pretty clear already, it used to have a much higher tedium:fun ratio. Sadly this came at the cost of restricting the area examining, which really held some of the best bits of dialogue in the series.

But the one thing that annoyed me was the reduced interactivity compared to AA4, which really had fun adding all sorts of gimmicks to its evidence and proceedings. Mood Matrix and the revisualization are fine core additions to the game, but I do miss all that other extraneous stuff.

I'm sure there'll be more to add after I give it some thought, but I honestly believe this is the best entry next to T&T, and I'm looking forward to the extra DLC case. Definitely not a good starting point for the series, not just because of the nostalgia milking (nearly 6 whole years of waiting since we last got an AA game) but also because it it draws quite a bit from the established canon (proportionally large by AA standards). People should be playing from the start of the series anyway.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2013-11-02 at 23:31.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 01:31   Link #70
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Honestly I was a little let down by this game's overarching antagonist. He just didn't give me any satisfaction when you finally nail him. At least not anything like Von Karma, Dahlia or Kristoph from previous games did. I guess he was a good antithesis for this particular game's theme of emotion though.

And I loved that we finally got a detailed explanation about the Black Psyche-Locks. Those were always one of the things I was most curious about ever since they were shown in Ace Attorney 4.
Old 2013-11-05, 01:46   Link #71
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
And I loved that we finally got a detailed explanation about the Black Psyche-Locks. Those were always one of the things I was most curious about ever since they were shown in Ace Attorney 4.
The problem is that this explanation doesn't fit with GS4 at all. In fact, I recently played GS4 (as I couldn't finish it before due to how goofy case 1 and 2 were) and many loose ends are still there.

In fact, GS5 hardly follows GS4 plotline.
Old 2013-11-05, 01:54   Link #72
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Meh. Kristoph repressing something so hard he's not even aware of it himself makes sense to me. We never really do manage to prove exactly what it was that happened in that case after all. It all seemed to connect fine so I have no idea what you're talking about.

And what's wrong with goofiness? You may be taking these games a bit too seriously if you have a problem with that.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-11-05 at 02:31.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 10:36   Link #73
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Meh. Kristoph repressing something so hard he's not even aware of it himself makes sense to me. We never really do manage to prove exactly what it was that happened in that case after all. It all seemed to connect fine so I have no idea what you're talking about.

And what's wrong with goofiness? You may be taking these games a bit too seriously if you have a problem with that.
Considering his plan, that can't be "unconscious". Heck, the explanations given for the black psyche lock in GS5 were clear enough: the said person isn't even aware of the repressed "secret" they have.
And for all things considered, Kristoph was definitely not repressing anything, especially how his plan went and how he fended off almost every evidence against him.

When I mentioned "goofiness", I was implying the writing which was really average at best. The humor and all wasn't a problem whatsoever. It was more like the characters' purpose generally speaking (especially Apollo being the foil in there in case 1).
Old 2013-11-05, 17:05   Link #74
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This is just conjecture, but as already stated all the Black Psyche-Locks represent is that the person is repressing a secret so hard that they're not even aware they are doing so, and there's no proof that the secret Kristoph was repressing was anything directly related to the case at hand.

But unless they ever decide to revisit it in a future game, we'll probably never know whether that's true or not.
Old 2013-11-05, 18:01   Link #75
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
This is just conjecture, but as already stated all the Black Psyche-Locks represent is that the person is repressing a secret so hard that they're not even aware they are doing so, and there's no proof that the secret Kristoph was repressing was anything directly related to the case at hand.
Actually it was: Kristoph psyche locks appeared the moment Phoenix asked why the former killed Zak, which is -directly- connected to the case (reason being his grudge against the latter and Zak, which he didn't have any trouble to admit the moment Apollo exposed him with the bracelet).
He was consciously preventing Phoenix to know anything about the true reason for Zak's murder as it would directly involve him with the forged evidence for that 7 years old trial, which is directly linked to the last trial of the game.

Also, in GS5, it is explained that "one's soul would be affected if the locks are removed by force", which means they serve as a defense mechanism that even the said person has no idea about (the latter part specifically refers to the said secret existence). This is definitely not what occured for Kristoph: he was simply not admitting his crime completely and knew what to do to prevent Phoenix and Apollo to expose the truth.

They simply retconned the black psyche lock purpose for GS5, considering they didn't even bother explaining them in GS4.
That being said, their purpose in GS5 was much better handled.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-11-05 at 18:20.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 03:20   Link #76
fukarming

Did AA5 explain where Maya is? Since Pearl is back they have to mention Maya, right?
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 09:06   Link #77
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Did AA5 explain where Maya is? Since Pearl is back they have to mention Maya, right?
Spoiler for Last case:
Old 2018-07-05, 20:56   Link #78
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

After all these years, I've finally finally played it. Enjoyable game overall. I really like the new character Athena; she's an endearing lawyer. The last case is as intense as always, but the whole

Spoiler:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 23:25   Link #79
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
After all these years, I've finally finally played it. Enjoyable game overall. I really like the new character Athena; she's an endearing lawyer. The last case is as intense as always, but the whole

Spoiler:
I recommend Spirit of Justice if you haven't played it yet. I really enjoyed Dual Destinies, but Spirit of Justice is in another league entirely.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 06:20   Link #80
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I recommend Spirit of Justice if you haven't played it yet. I really enjoyed Dual Destinies, but Spirit of Justice is in another league entirely.
I'm playing it now. The head monk pisses me off. Payne pisses me off even more now. No one here in this third world shantytown likes me. The Priestess is so pretentious. The judge is...well, acting like your typical Judge. Great start!

Shah'do is real cute, though.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote