AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-27, 21:15   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Having connection problems

I am currently running XP and using Firefox for internet browsing. However i am running into some problems. Sometimes the browser would have a connection problem even through bt is still connected and downloading. i wait several mins and the issue would resolve itself and then it would happen all over again.

anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it?
Old 2009-06-27, 21:21   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Try releasing and renewing the IP address... by typing the following:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This will obtain a new IP address and should fix your internet problems. If that doesn't work, try running Firefox in safe-mode or try another browser. If Firefox doesn't work and other browser does work when using BT, reset Firefox to the defaults, but make a backup of your profile first. If different browsers don't connect when using BT, try lowering the upload setting because high upload bandwidth usage can slow down internet browsing.
Old 2009-06-27, 23:12   Link #3
Rockman-X
Matroska > You

Sounds like Half-Open connections limit problems.
Check on Control Panel/Administrative tools/Event Viewer/System, if you are getting any Tcpip warnings with event 4226. If so, then it's the half-open connections limit that is being hit.
Rockman-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 01:25   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman-X View Post
Sounds like Half-Open connections limit problems.
Check on Control Panel/Administrative tools/Event Viewer/System, if you are getting any Tcpip warnings with event 4226. If so, then it's the half-open connections limit that is being hit.

i see them, so how do i fix it?
Old 2009-06-28, 04:03   Link #5
Rockman-X
Matroska > You

Get this program here, it'll override windows' simultaneous half-open connections. It's quite simple to use and self-explanatory.

Quote:
Half-open limit fix is a program designed to change the maximum number of concurrent half-open outbound TCP connections (connection attempts) in the Windows system tcpip.sys file.

Microsoft first introduced this limit in Windows XP SP2 and it is present in later versions, which purpose is to try to slow the spread of virus and malware from system to system, and also to reduce the impact of infected systems participating in DoS (Denial of Service) attacks.

Microsoft's limiter makes it impossible for Windows systems to have more than 10 concurrent half-open outbound connections; after 10, new connection attempts are put in a queue and forced to wait. Thus, the speed of connection to other PCs is limited.Therefore, the speed of connection to other computers is actually limited.

P2P (peer-to-peer) programs like µTorrent, BitComet, eMule, P2P TV, etc.,are generally the programs mostly affected. Since bittorrent apps tend to use up all 10 of the half-open connections, other Internet activity—especiallythe loading of web pages—can become extremely slow. The delay before opening a new page can take over ten seconds: this delay occurs regardless of your Internet connection speed.

Half-open limit fix remedies this problem by increasing the maximum limit of half-open connections. For most Internet users, changing the limit to 100 will be more than sufficient.
It's freeware, and I've used on quite a lot of different PCs, with no problems at all.

BTW, this doesn't apply to Windows Vista post-SP2, since Microsoft removed this restriction on SP2.

Last edited by Rockman-X; 2009-06-28 at 04:18. Reason: Added info about the Half-open connections problem
Rockman-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 13:35   Link #6
sa547
*Author

*Checks Computer Management*

Yeah, looks like I also have Event 4226 problems on the list. Hmmm, can't seem to get to the website for the utility, but anyway, Softpedia also has it and LH has a lowdown on how it works:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows...imit-Fix.shtml
http://lifehacker.com/5213712/half+o...rent-downloads

Much thanks.