AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 27 12.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 63 29.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 26.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 15.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.42%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-09, 15:21   Link #161
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
The 1st shot on my screen has the face almost completely black, you can't even make out the eye socket.
Oh I see. Um, so you mean to suggest the DVD might be brighter or something?
Old 2009-07-09, 15:23   Link #162
Alaya
Counter Force

Well if you decided to drop it out, remember to check the visual novel instead :P

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:24   Link #163
IfritTower
Just furniture

Ok, now that I've seen the subs I can say that this episode was MUCH better than last weeks, and I liked last weeks. As a VN reader I already knew how things were going to turn out, but I still got shivers when goldenslaughterer started playing. This episode is when the fun starts, I can only imagine how awesome the next episodes are really going to be. A sure 9/10.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:36   Link #164
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Oh I see. Um, so you mean to suggest the DVD might be brighter or something?
Actually, I think she/he is suggesting that in the DVD's there might be... um... fillin' to the insides of the skulls. (in other words- ew, ew, ew, ew, ew ) .
Old 2009-07-09, 15:47   Link #165
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
Actually, I think she/he is suggesting that in the DVD's there might be... um... fillin' to the insides of the skulls. (in other words- ew, ew, ew, ew, ew ) .
If anyone has seen the manga, I think you might get what I mean
Old 2009-07-09, 16:20   Link #166
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
If anyone has seen the manga, I think you might get what I mean
Now you go and make me curious. I went and dug it up (lol, its scanlated only up to this episode). Since it has already aired I suppose there's no issue, I'll just add a spoiler tag just to hide it from anyone who for whatever wierd reason doesn't want to see it. Anyway, you're talking about this right?
Spoiler for Manga version of the nightmare:
I think this is just difference in art style. Animation always requires some realism, on the manga though you can go all out.

Oh btw, are there pictures of other versions of this? just for comparison.
Old 2009-07-09, 16:34   Link #167
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Anyway, you're talking about this right?
Spoiler for Manga version of the nightmare:
Bingo.

Actually, up to chapter 8 has been scanlated, which has some more shots from the shed scene: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=141

But that one chapter is further than the anime has gotten, so peruse at your own peril. Or wait a week.

Anyways, I think my only point was that if you filter out some of the darkness, some of the faces look more like those in the manga, which may or may not have been hidden on purpose. Is it fine like it is right now in the anime? Yep. Wouldn't want to scare too many people away, now would we?
Old 2009-07-09, 17:21   Link #168
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh btw, are there pictures of other versions of this? just for comparison.
No, so far, only the manga and anime medium show the corpses. Ryukishi preferred to rely on readers imagination and I believe he certainly can't imagine himself being able to draw these appropriately.

Well, unless you are talking about the Tati, which are as follow:

Spoiler for Game TIPS of the first 6:
Old 2009-07-09, 18:08   Link #169
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
maria is Evil...kind of annoying but fits perfectly the character.
Old 2009-07-09, 18:16   Link #170
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Man wtf at the "pro" stage act at the end there by Battler that better damn well have been intended. You know it's bad when your left thinking "english dubbers can do better than that".

Otherwise this episode has definitely hooked me into this series. Sure it might be a little early to start seeing things like what happened at the end there but it still left me engaged in what's happening all the same. I understand where the VN readers are coming from with what they see as far as pacing is concerned but as someone who hasn't read it yet, this episode's pacing was fine for me, I don't see where the problems are. I could see it in episode 1, but not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist View Post
Anyway I am more interested in reading what 1st time anime viewers think about the episode. I wonder if you guys are like the story so far and have any theory about what happened. The most fun part about Umineko is not just the story, but making up theory about the murders. I am sure some of you are beginning to become suspicious about Maria. hihihihihihihihih
Maria was strange when she read that letter but honestly I'm suspecting other people more than her right now for various reasons (likely crazy theories) from other events. Being suspiscious of Maria is what this show is trying to make me feel (and it's slightly succeeding admittedly) but most good mysteries tend to throw the idea of "expect the unexpected". I certainly think something is amiss with Maria no doubt about that, but I currently don't think she is playing an active role in these murders not with what this episode has given as information for me. She seems like she's been possessed by a demon reading that letter tho

I've been thinking about the events of this episode pretty extensively so I've come up with some pretty out there stuff to possibly make sense of what's going on and I actually wouldn't mind posting about them either now that we've finally started diving into the scene of mystery murders. Let's just say...I think there's maybe 3 or 4 people that I'm not suspiscious of right now, I guess that's to be expected when we're only at the second episode here. I'm gonna rewatch these episodes again tho before I decide to post everything that's come to mind for me up to this point. It's been a good week since I last watched the previous episode and there could be some connections made with other events in this episode that can tie in with the murders that I've missed by chance.

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-07-09 at 18:37. Reason: Let me rephrase that..."slightly" succeeding
Old 2009-07-09, 18:17   Link #171
Scython

I don't know. I was looking forward to Maria's character but she's just too f*cked up for me to like.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-09, 18:27   Link #172
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Maria's character is trying too hard to be "hey look at me I'm the villain!" Crazy and sporadic mood swings won't fool me, and I much prefer the cute and innocent Maria... minus the excessive "ooo" noises. Unfortunately, their plan won't fool me, unless it's their plan to make me think Maria is not the villain because they're trying so hard to portray her as one, thus I won't see it coming when she is revealed to actually be the... okay my head hurts.

Anyways, my thoughts on Episode 1-2 here.
Old 2009-07-09, 18:30   Link #173
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm trying to remember what I was doing in October 1986...School it the only thing I can think of...but then I realized something...I'm the same age as Maria (or same age as she would be anyway).

Also realized that Horie Yui is also about that same age...in fact she's almost exactly one year older than I am, and thus about one year older than Maria would be as well. Weird that.
Old 2009-07-09, 18:44   Link #174
Kuroko
Chainsaw Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kuroko
9/10
Suspance, even thou i already knew what was going to happen.

But they shortened that last scene FAR too much...
Spoiler for this episode:
Spoiler for game/manga, NEXT episode, maybe:
And Maria's random creepy eyes were too random, imho, i even thought she had hyperopia at first

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-09, 19:49   Link #175
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm trying to remember what I was doing in October 1986...School it the only thing I can think of...but then I realized something...I'm the same age as Maria (or same age as she would be anyway).

Also realized that Horie Yui is also about that same age...in fact she's almost exactly one year older than I am, and thus about one year older than Maria would be as well. Weird that.
Interesting how these things work out. Sadly all I can say about October 1986 was that I was waiting for the next month when I'd be born .

Still this was a pretty messy conclusion. Losing 6 people in one night is a pretty huge hit. Now I really want to know just what the heck happened? Hard to believe only one person was involved in the killing considering the numbers involved here. Unless they started killing each other and someone just finished things off.

My condolences to Shannon who gets proposed to one night and then is dead by the morning. Do wonder if wearing that ring had anything to do with the events leading to her death. Doubt a family like that would be very happy about the relationship between the maid and George.

Anyways doubt things are going to get much better. Of course sucks for the characters since they've already lost people they care about.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:33   Link #176
Magicberyl

can't wait for further "kihihiihihi" face caption.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:06   Link #177
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

I was thinking about what I was doing that year myself the other day. I was about five in 1986. Shall I call you Nee-chan/Nii-chan ?
Old 2009-07-09, 22:16   Link #178
Sinn
Pwnage

Maria was watching Higurashi...LoL and yeah she annoys me a lot =/

Why must they cencor their death scene Anyway, not bad, 7/10
Old 2009-07-09, 22:18   Link #179
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
Maria was watching Higurashi...LoL and yeah she annoys me a lot =/

Why must they cencor their death scene Anyway, not bad, 7/10
It wasn't censored, a lot of the original was just cut. Otherwise it wasn't bad.
Old 2009-07-09, 22:29   Link #180
Sinn
Pwnage

What i meant was what they were talking about up there actually Was hoping to see more gore.