AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-25, 03:19   Link #161
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Ugh, let's not go back to the old posts on the character forum or shipping wars of '08 through '11 because point blank, I don't want to repeat it. Many just hated Alto's indecision and felt it better if he'd died off in Episode 24. Not a lot of people like him now either. After all, his character thread was dead long before either of the girls' and all people had some very rude things to say about his character growth.

I am rather bias. He was a generally good character. However, he lacked flow in his character growth. But I refer to his series' self here. His movie self, I just dislike him to death (part of why I call his end in the second movie a "death nap"). After having watched the series, that became Alto to me. Watching the movies, it didn't feel like him at all! In my absolute opinion, my anger at Alto is primarily directed to his lack of action in the final episode to resolve anything regarding his romantic interest (if any). And saying where the directors were leaning towards still doesn't resolve the fact no confession was made to either girl. But I don't hate his series' self at all. I find him charming and sometimes amusing. His movie self just doesn't reflect that series' persona at all to me. His characteristics were changed around immensely. The only good piece was that he became more proactive in pursuing a romantic interest. However, given the screen time, it became a one-sided answer because they barely gave Ranka a chance, after all, she spent a total of five minutes actually alone with him in the entire 4hrs and 50mins of the two movies! I hardly count that as being fair or giving her a higher chance than the series; hell, I hardly call that showing a friendship bond between them. But what truly killed his movie self to me was his lack of belief in his friends' words of wisdom and how easily he was fooled by faulty information without really seeking out the truth. He returned right to how his series' self was in the end, and never truly grew out of it. He saw a few images, and FINALLY understood the Vajra, THEN he helped like a true man. Sorry, too late man, you're already dead to me.

There are the good and the bad. People tend to focus on bad things. In this case, maximilianjenus probably focuses on the fact Alto stands between his ship of SR. I still don't see killing out the middle man as winning a ship. I actually see it as admitting defeat.

Back on topic; since we've fallen so far off-topic; from summaries across the web, this M7 footage isn't remastered with modern colors, it is still the same from the '97 series? That's a shame.
Old 2012-10-25, 03:30   Link #162
magnuskn

Given that Graces character thread has been dead since 2008, I guess everybody hated her character, too, right?

Oh, wait, she was one of the universally recognized best villains of the series.

I'll just say what I've always said: Altos characterization ( and I am also talking about his series self, I was quite displeased by the turn they gave his movie self, too ) was subtle. A lot of people didn't see that and thought him to be a way too passive and mostly emotionless protagonist.

As I said in the group, I am at work right now and cannot get into a large discussion, but I'll try to rustle something up this evening.
Old 2012-10-25, 04:18   Link #163
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Just to point out here, when you talk of people too, you don't given any references either. But I, as reading back through posts of the series and his character thread, can say that a lot of fans were very angry towards Alto; some even considered killing him off to be the best end to the series. Personally, I think that would've made the movies more bittersweet instead; but that is my personal opinion.

Sure, take your time. I'm headed to bed soon where I am. -looks at clock- It's already 5AM!? Off to bed.
Old 2012-10-25, 10:53   Link #164
Ozuma-Rii
Heya~ I am a Ranka-addict

Newsflash: nobody is going to take you seriously unless you provide evidence.
Old 2012-10-25, 11:48   Link #165
magnuskn

@LMK: I fear finding my own deeper thought-out posts about Alto on this board would take literal hours, since they are sadly not concentrated in his thread but have been strewn carelessly by me across a lot of threads. I find myself with a substantial list of things to do and not enough time this evening. So I'll have to pass this time on writing up another long post about that. I need the inspiration for another person on our little group, too. <cracks nuckles>

As a consolation, please take these two excellent posts by Crusader from just after the series had finished, which summarize a lot of what I liked about the character.

Post 1

Post 2

The section in post 1 about "Ranka as a troll on moe" is quite worthwhile reading, although you'd probably disagree.
Old 2012-10-25, 12:56   Link #166
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma-Rii View Post
Newsflash: nobody is going to take you seriously unless you provide evidence.
Nobody should take a simple comment/joke seriously anyway.

since it looks like some people is really needy or "arguments" I will just explain my post becuse they are assuming I am shipping or some other weird stuff like they don't know me.

I just said that I hope alto was dead because this is a macross7 movie so frontier is not relevant in this case and not having alto there makes the focus shift to 7 easier. as far as shpping goes I am not into shipping characters or anything like that the thing I mentioned about sheryl and ranka is how I apreciate their friendship/rivalry.

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2012-10-25 at 13:05. Reason: some points
Old 2012-10-25, 13:07   Link #167
Ozuma-Rii
Heya~ I am a Ranka-addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Nobody should take a simple comment/joke seriously anyway.

since it looks like some people is really needy or "arguments" I will just explain my post becuse they are assuming I am shipping or some other weird stuff like they don't know me.

I just said that I hope alto was dead because this is a macross7 movie so frontier is not relevant in this case and not having alto there makes the focus shift to 7 easier. as far as shpping goes I am not into shipping characters or anything like that the thing I mentioned about sheryl and ranka is how I apreciate their friendship/rivalry.
Ding! Didn't you find your statement stronger?
Old 2012-10-25, 13:15   Link #168
maximilianjenus
[E]

Why would my statement be stronger ? provide some evidence > : (

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2012-10-25 at 15:29.
Old 2012-10-25, 13:24   Link #169
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think you misread that. It was a question to is you (maximilianjenus) found your own statement to be stronger with added context.
Old 2012-10-25, 15:29   Link #170
maximilianjenus
[E]

nah, I mistyped, but anyway, I guess we have not gotten a date of release for the bluray right?
Old 2012-10-25, 17:01   Link #171
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

I wonder if anyone noticed this:

Is this the real medley?
Old 2012-10-26, 11:03   Link #172
darkplataform

FB7 booklet

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1940335847

Old 2012-10-27, 22:33   Link #173
maximilianjenus
[E]

Sheryl and basara make such a cute couple, even cuter than sheryl and ranka.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:46   Link #174
Syaokura

Basara and Sheryl... love it!
Old 2012-10-28, 02:50   Link #175
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Sheryl and basara make such a cute couple, even cuter than sheryl and ranka.
They ought to. They are both so similar in many ways. Both absolutely want others to listen to their songs. Personally, I'd start shipping them if they weren't from two different Macross series and will likely never meet. Meh, they wouldn't be Brera and Sheryl hotness for me anyway.
Old 2012-10-28, 07:12   Link #176
magnuskn

Basara is barely interested in women.
Old 2012-10-28, 09:45   Link #177
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

It was a joke, magnus. After all, I ship Brera and Sheryl in this case; therefore I already stated it was a joke.
Old 2012-10-28, 10:39   Link #178
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Basara is barely interested in women.
Sometimes I think about that, and I thought... well, if that guy ever decided to settle down, there are literally billions upon billions on top of billions of women vying for his affection.

Its not going to turn out good...

- Tak
Old 2012-10-28, 10:55   Link #179
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sometimes I think about that, and I thought... well, if that guy ever decided to settle down, there are literally billions upon billions on top of billions of women vying for his affection.

Its not going to turn out good...

- Tak
I would say Sivil is the only female that manage to left deep impression on Basara .
Old 2012-10-28, 10:58   Link #180
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It was a joke, magnus. After all, I ship Brera and Sheryl in this case; therefore I already stated it was a joke.
Just clarifiying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I would say Sivil is the only female that manage to left deep impression on Basara .
There's Emiria, too.