AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-26, 05:00   Link #101
Izer

Well, mostly modern naval power is for kicking the crap out of third world nations that annoy the first world enough, and carriers are very useful for that purpose since they can be used to destroy the air-defences of whoever is getting targeted this year.
Discussing which form of naval power is more important these days is kind of pointless because NATO has a numerical and qualitative superiority in all of them that is so large that it isn't even funny. Heck, this also holds true for sea and land power. The US alone spends a huge fraction of total world wide military spending and the countries that come next on the list of "money spent" are pretty comprised of "the european union, Japan and other assorted US allies."
Sometimes this disparity in military might gets put to good and etical uses, such as in Sierra Leone or Afganistan and sometimes it gets misused.

Returning to Zipang I'll say that it strikes me as a monumental waste of a perfectly good idea, mostly because, well, siding with the WWII-era japanes militarists is a massive moral failure on the part of the defence force ship. Their proper loyalty is to the people of Japan and the duely elected government thereof, not to a military junta steering the country straight into evil and destruction. It would have been a much more interesting plot for them to try and use their superior technology, historical knowlege, and tactical doctrine to put a stop to the war without the home isles being subjected to either fire- or atom bombings.
Further, if what the creators wanted to do was a to do an anime about traditonal military and patriotic virtues in war with special reference to Japan they bloody well picked the wrong war. Going by what I can recall of the historical subject matter the Japanese army was for example noted for its discipline and adherence to the laws of war in the japanese-russian war of 1905. WWII? Ugh.

Send a french or german (or heck: French-german, they've got joint battalions these days) tank formation back to middle of WWII and they'd promtly make a bee-line for their own capitals to have *Words* (Well. More like battles) with the governments there. Vichy and Nazi are insults.
Izer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 09:49   Link #102
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, although I don't have descriptions of each episode, given what I'm seeing in the 7 listed so far on anidb, they're not going to get involved right away. Apparently they're going to hide out for a while and think about this, then get drawn in by accident and have to decide if they just want to hide and cover their own tail, or periodically help out. That's my assessment from what I'm seeing of the titles so far. That may turn out to be entirely wrong, but that's what I'm guessing based on what I see. They're definately going to get involved in WW2, but to what level remains to be seen.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 11:02   Link #103
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Just watched Zipang episode 1, and here's what I have to say about the promising series.

I don't care of the political influence or whatsoever, since I just finished watching the first episode and am anticipating for the next episode. Well, I'm sorry if my statement might be provocative, but personally I found this series interesting, especially since I haven' t watched any WWII- or war-themed story, be it anime or movie or TV series for a while (the last one was Pearl Harbour, but that was from Hollywood's POV, and I don't really like how they view the war). I'll wait and see for how well Zipang goes.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 15:37   Link #104
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Apparently they are too late to stop the battle of midway.The first ep was intresting so I hope it will not turn into nationalist propaganda wich, if I understood what dreamless said, was the case for the manga.But it would be fun to see an aegis destroy a WWII battleship with harpoons.
ZeusIrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 20:01   Link #105
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izer
Returning to Zipang I'll say that it strikes me as a monumental waste of a perfectly good idea, mostly because, well, siding with the WWII-era japanes militarists is a massive moral failure on the part of the defence force ship. Their proper loyalty is to the people of Japan and the duely elected government thereof, not to a military junta steering the country straight into evil and destruction. It would have been a much more interesting plot for them to try and use their superior technology, historical knowlege, and tactical doctrine to put a stop to the war without the home isles being subjected to either fire- or atom bombings.
Yeah! Well said.

I'd be really rooting for the Mirai if the storyline were like that. But would the Japanese audience consider such a storyline too far-fetched to be believable, considering the woeful education of WWII history in their schools?

Or am I being non-constructively cynical?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 20:52   Link #106
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, this story becomes entirely believable given the relatively small size of their ship in a gigantic war. We're talking about 1 missile cruiser on a HUGE ocean in the middle of a HUGE war that has so many big and little stories that it's beyond possible to know everything. So something like this could have happened and it could have escaped the watchful eye of history by simply blending into the fog of war and becoming invisible in this whole ugly mess. Besides, isn't the range of some of the missles on that ship something like 200 miles? I'm sure that ship also has cruise missiles which, if they're tomahawks, and depending on what type of tomahawks they are those things should range out about 800 to 1500 statute miles (700-1350 nautical miles) and should be easily targetable using an awacs system or longbow style radar system and their chopper they have onboard. Even if they can only range out a couple hundred miles with radar, the Tomahawk's are smart enough that if you tell them, "go in this direction and if you see anything matching this criteria, hit it" they'll go find the target for you and sink it. They're some very amazing weapons.

Aside from that though the Aegis missile system alone should allow them to sit off several hundred miles and punk ships all day long with long range missles and torpedos. So, yes, to answer your question, this could easily be believable with much of a problem. Now if a US or Japanese carrier group dropped in out of nowhere and started going to school on the opposing side, yeah, you could officially throw all believability out the window. But I think right now they're safely within that window.
Old 2004-11-27, 21:56   Link #107
otaku

I like the concept of alternate history. What would have happened to world history, if the Japanese Navy had defeated the U.S. Navy in Midway? Seems like there is a debate among historians. Quote from wikipedia:

"In addition, considerable academic debate has centered on whether Japan could or would have threatened attack against the US West Coast. Had the Japanese achieved their objective at Midway of a quick knock-out of the US Pacific Fleet, the US West Coast would have been substantially defenseless against the Japanese Navy. The remaining US naval ships were fully deployed halfway around the world in the North Atlantic. One academic camp stresses that regional conquest, and not conquest of North America, was the Japanese objective; another argues that is irrelevant, and that threatened or actual attacks on the US West Coast would have caused the US to divert military assets away from Europe, thereby at best lengthening the war in the European theater, and at worst allowing Germany to prevail."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Midway)

Anyway I only saw one episode and am looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by otaku; 2004-11-28 at 07:56.
otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 00:24   Link #108
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well, this story becomes entirely believable given the relatively small size of their ship in a gigantic war. We're talking about 1 missile cruiser on a HUGE ocean in the middle of a HUGE war that has so many big and little stories that it's beyond possible to know everything. So something like this could have happened and it could have escaped the watchful eye of history by simply blending into the fog of war and becoming invisible in this whole ugly mess. Besides, isn't the range of some of the missles on that ship something like 200 miles? I'm sure that ship also has cruise missiles which, if they're tomahawks, and depending on what type of tomahawks they are those things should range out about 800 to 1500 statute miles (700-1350 nautical miles) and should be easily targetable using an awacs system or longbow style radar system and their chopper they have onboard. Even if they can only range out a couple hundred miles with radar, the Tomahawk's are smart enough that if you tell them, "go in this direction and if you see anything matching this criteria, hit it" they'll go find the target for you and sink it. They're some very amazing weapons.
Can Tomahawks use "fly by wire" targetting? I thought their flight paths had to be preprogrammed with satellite data.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 08:36   Link #109
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The newer Tomahawk missiles can be either programmed with satelite tachtical data or long range radar. They can also employ the "smart" targeting system (forgot the name) which allows them to see and identify targets using radar and distinguish between them and pick out a target based on its shape and charecteristics. While not directly deployed yet, I've seen this system used and on one test firing they told it where to look and what to look for, but gave it no exact coordinates. It went out, found its target and issolated it out of a group of like 9 other vehicles. The seek and destroy targeting system the newer tomahawk uses is actually a spin off from I believe either the advanced copperhead or hellfire missile targeting systems that can be fired sight unseen in the general direction of a target, find the target, issolate it, then kill it. It's all done with radar and its really quite a neat thing to watch.
Old 2004-12-17, 19:08   Link #110
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Has ep. 10 aired? I'm not seeing it anywhere.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 19:26   Link #111
kinniku_man
masked man

ep11 has already aired
kinniku_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 19:26   Link #112
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

lol. I'd like EP 2 in the subbed version myself. Any word on when those will show up?
Old 2004-12-17, 19:58   Link #113
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinniku_man
ep11 has already aired
Hmm, that's strange. When I search in emule(ar3 and kad), I get like 30-50 sources for the first 9, but 10 or 11 don't show up.

Quote:
lol. I'd like EP 2 in the subbed version myself. Any word on when those will show up?
Heh, you and me both. I just got so used to d/ling the raw I can't stop, even though I don't understand 95% of what they say. This is a first for me.
Old 2004-12-18, 04:35   Link #114
kinniku_man
masked man

Surely ep10.11 were not found on eMule.
I suggest you use Winny.
kinniku_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 07:19   Link #115
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I don't mind watching it in raw, but I'd much rather watch it subbed personally since there's a lot of technical stuff happening.
Old 2004-12-22, 16:30   Link #116
SKEEZI
'da MAN

ep 10 & 11 raws have been on emule for a few days.
SKEEZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 08:05   Link #117
Saturnalia

Quote:
What makes the Yamato even more special is that she had nine 460mm (18.1-inch) main battery guns, which fired 1460kg (3200 pound) armor piercing shells at ranges of over 25 miles. Kinda gave a whole new meaning to "Reach out and touch someone. In an open sea battle the Yamato and the Musashi would have been able to engage the US fleet long before the US could return fire because the 16" guns of the Iowa and Montana classes only could reach out about 20 miles.
The Iowa class did possess superior fire control, allowing them to hit their targets with better accuracy.
Saturnalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:41   Link #118
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, true. But at the same time the bragging rights for having the bigger guns is still cooler. hehe.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-28, 22:58   Link #119
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Thanks SKEEZI, I've been on vacation... Delayed reaction I've got the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinniku_man
Surely ep10.11 were not found on eMule.
I suggest you use Winny.
Hmm, you'd be surprised. At least for a person who only speaks English, it's a great alternative to "I'll never allow an English version" Winny if you don't mind the slow downloads.

Spoiler:

I figured out the trick to Kad downloading. Start uploading, say, episode 11, which will connect you to people downloading said episode. Usually, there are a few already downloading 12 as well, which hooks you up in a Kad search.

Just saw Ep. 2. The editing was better (not perfect, but better), with only a few iffy lines. Thanks for subbing Ep. 2, Deph.

Spoiler:

Edit: Lol at my and LR's kinda simultaneous post after 14 hours on inaction in this thread. (It took my like 10 min to get that picture right
Old 2004-12-30, 07:33   Link #120
FlyByNite

Quote:
Well, true. But at the same time the bragging rights for having the bigger guns is still cooler. hehe.

Spoiler:
ep 2
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote