AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-17, 04:38   Link #1941
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
It doesn't sound plausible in any way to me as the breaking of the connections was not supposed to be an obstacle or a misfortune, but the symbolism that even the Avatar has to change like the rest of the world.
Old 2014-12-17, 06:27   Link #1942
Random14

I think the post-TLA comic The Promise covers the formation of what would become Republic City. To some people, if that land once belonged to them, it should always belong to them, and considering what a tyrant Kuvira is, no surprise she believes that. The late Earth Queen was of the same mind. Those kind of people just blame earlier people for either being weak for losing a war and losing the land or for being too nice (in Republic City's situation).

The actual situation was more complicated, since just kicking the Fire Nation colonies off Earth Kingdom land would involve moving plenty of well-established towns, where most of the colonists had mixed with the local people and culture a lot already, and it wasn't like they had enslaved everyone nearby. Aang had his own doubts about either approach but eventually negotiated something new, the United Republic, but it helps that both Zuko and Earth King Kuei were nice people and eventually open to new ideas. Kuvira, yeah, not so much.

No idea about utilitarian, though I think it just comes down to Kuvira being ruthless and mean. She's not the greatest villain, but LoK's approach of a villain of the book/season approach hurts when trying to build up a villain, compared to TLA's long-running Zuko and Azula character development.

I wish they had managed to engage that giant mecha before it had gotten so close to Republic City (look at how the Gaang diverted the Fire nation fleet in their series finale), but well, guess the final battle just has to happen in Republic City... again. Book 3 avoided that, thankfully, but just hope it turns out better than Book 2, and it should. Although if the Queen of Fairies showed up to give Bolin a magic potion to turn him into a giant to fight the giant robot in a kaijuu battle in Republic City Bay, that would sure make for a great mover.

I still hope we'll get to see Korra go full-on Avatar state at last. Book 2 had awful showings from Korra, even before Unalaq merged with Vaatu, at the end of Book 3 that was more of a dying berserker state than anything else, and for most of book 4 Korra's had serious problems (even when she briefly went Avatar state, she just knocked Kuvira over with some wind and lifted a somewhat big rock and that was it).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 20:04   Link #1943
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Bolin would be better served to attempt to turn the mecha itself into lava rather than trying to open holes underneath the mecha in order to attempt to melt the beast.
Depending on what type of metal the mech is made of that would take extremely hot lava to pull off (hotter than normal Earth metal). Let alone we don't know that metal can be lavafied in the Avatar world.

I'm just thinking, a small pit of lava, maybe five feet deep, the width and length of one of the mech's feet. The foot sinks down, the metal is either melted or welded in place to the molten rock, and the mech either topples over from the uneven weight distribution or is at the very least immobilized due to it's melted or welded foot.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 02:10   Link #1944
ellifeedn
Thinker

The ending was amazing. I'm tearing up a little over the end of this series. It had its ups and downs, but I don't regret watching it.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 03:02   Link #1945
takai
Easy Muffin

I think it was a good ending, but there were a few things that I wish they touched on before they ended it, especially Korra connecting to her past lives. That really needed to be touched upon again.

Fight sequences were strong, and the animation was great. But honestly, it was consistent throughout the whole season, which another strong point of Korra.

I think there could've been some more talking with Kuvria, because considering her character and personality, she gave up too easily. I also would've liked to have known what happened to her, but that's a personal thing rather than a genuine complaint.

Mako has always been a pretty controversial character on many fronts, but man he really did well in the finale. I have a new found respect for him. And I'm really glad Bolin was such a huge part of it as well. He had taken the back-burner so many times, but he really shone well this time. And his lava-bending is still some of the coolest bending this franchise has ever shown.

Also, seeing Asami's dad right the wrongs that he committed in seasons past was great development for Asami, and good closure for the character.

All in all, the ending was good. Not great, not bad, not terrible, but good. The Korra and Asami thing..... Honestly, they're just friends. Plain and simple. Asami was Korra's first female friend, which was a good characteristic to their friendship. But saying anything more than that just seems more of a delusion to me. Their heterosexuality was confirmed in season one, but their homo/bi was never confirmed. So in the end, friends.

But really, it did sour the ending a bit. It seemed pandering if anything. Just unauthentic and not genuine. It also looks like someone who saw the ending before it aired said they altered it for some reason. Stupid move if you ask me.

Good season though, it just doesn't stand up to season three.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 03:33   Link #1946
Farodin

^ Exactly how i see it.I think Bryke miscalculated big time when they introduced the whole relationship drama in season one and now are trying to please the fans by pleasing the most dominant shippers which feels way too forced for my taste.
Farodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 03:40   Link #1947
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Amazing!

And I finally got my Korra/Asami!

http://milankyuubi.tumblr.com/post/1...26/korra-asami
http://milankyuubi.tumblr.com/post/1...now-it-baby-xd

Last edited by milan kyuubi; 2014-12-19 at 04:14.
milan kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 06:28   Link #1948
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farodin View Post
^ Exactly how i see it.I think Bryke miscalculated big time when they introduced the whole relationship drama in season one and now are trying to please the fans by pleasing the most dominant shippers which feels way too forced for my taste.
Unless Korra/Asami is the biggest ship since book one, I think you are wrong because their relationship (or at least how the relationship would go) had been hinted since book 2...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 06:38   Link #1949
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
It seemed pandering if anything. Just unauthentic and not genuine.
And you've perfectly summed up the problem of yuri in today's anime and now in this show.
Old 2014-12-19, 07:32   Link #1950
DMurphy

The fact that there are people insisting that that last scene between Korra and Asami wasn't unmistakeably romantic strikes me as more than a little suspicious, and a fair bit creepy too.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 07:34   Link #1951
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Holy shit that surprise yuri end!!
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 07:35   Link #1952
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

To the purest form of love.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 07:48   Link #1953
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Quote:
I think it was a good ending, but there were a few things that I wish they touched on before they ended it, especially Korra connecting to her past lives. That really needed to be touched upon again.
There is nothing to be touched there: her losing that connection FOREVER is supposed to symbolize the fact that a new era had begun, and thus a new Avatar Cycle.

Quote:
I think there could've been some more talking with Kuvria, because considering her character and personality, she gave up too easily. I also would've liked to have known what happened to her, but that's a personal thing rather than a genuine complaint.
Thrown in prison most likely... I am more surprised that all of her army stepped down rather than have a general try to make a coup, if only to save himself from getting arrested.
Old 2014-12-19, 08:34   Link #1954
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Agree. Kuvira shouldn't just disappear like this. She has done so much for the sake of her nation(though may be too much). She even sacrificed her own love for the empire. If everything she has done become meaningless, I surely would be pissed.

...... well, she might come back with the election though (if the people still want her). Her time in the prison could make her a bit less forceful as well(which would be good).

So...... we didn't get to know who is Su's dad? What's the point mentioning Kanto(or whatever Lin's dad is name)?
Old 2014-12-19, 09:12   Link #1955
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
I honestly didn't like the way the series was ending but those last 2 episodes were done well.
Old 2014-12-19, 09:49   Link #1956
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
So...... we didn't get to know who is Su's dad? What's the point mentioning Kanto(or whatever Lin's dad is name)?
The whole Kanto revelation thing was to tell us "You don't know him" and I imagine the same thing to be true for Su
Old 2014-12-19, 10:45   Link #1957
DMurphy

Guys. Come on. I think we all know who Su's Dad is.

Spoiler for SPOILERS!!!! And also potentially a large picture.:

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 11:12   Link #1958
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Guys. Come on. I think we all know who Su's Dad is.

Spoiler for SPOILERS!!!! And also potentially a large picture.:
Toph conquered both and was named Avatar League Champion........

GOTTA BEND'EM ALL!
Old 2014-12-19, 11:54   Link #1959
The One Above God
Kamijou

"Sure, I'm just the conductor...nobody needs me on the bench..."
"I raised Milo. I can handle anything."

these quotes stuck to me for some reason

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 12:04   Link #1960
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i really enjoyed the last 2 episodes, the action was insane ^^
The last 2mins though....i was thinking why are they ending it with kora and asami talking...then as the time was ticking down i started to realize what was happening and was struck dumb!....but then i thought girls can act that way out of friendship....but why end the show with that...unless the makers wanted it to come as a shocked yuri end, holding hands and looking into eachother eyes as they go on thier own holiday.....

All in all that ending will have plp talking and speculating for ages, unless they bring out a comic that states what happened clearly.

Give the whole korra series a 7/10 would of been ten if we ever saw sokkas kids....but no didnt happen

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra