AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-19, 19:00   Link #1981
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I can't wait to watch this. I didn't even consider this pairing until having just read some of these posts. Granted, I shouldn't have been too surprised, since I really couldn't see Mako ending up with either of them. But still...this outcome...just...yes. First time I've ever been more pleased with a pairing that I hadn't even considered. lol

Now I'm off to see this all actually go down.
I was pretty shocked too, all told. I had seen the subtext and hints, and they've been building it up for two books now, but I didn't really believe they'd go for it. If it was a TV show from over here, maybe, but Americans are ridiculously conservative, and American TV networks even moreso. I didn't think they'd have it be canon.

Except then they did, and I was delighted.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 19:48   Link #1982
ginger02

Season was decent. I don't know if I prefer it over last season. It's weird that it's over though.

Korra and Asami always seemed like rivals to friends to sisters to me, so suggested they were romantic was more sudden for me. But the protagonist as to end up with someone.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 20:11   Link #1983
SQA

I haven't kept up on Season 4 much, but just to be clear:

They never managed to resolve the construction problems with Korra's character and simply coped out? That really doesn't surprise me. (Korra was always an extremely blatant "We need Naruto but we had a Male lead last time, so let's make the lead a Female" problem.) Considering where the writing staff's problems consistently arose over 7 seasons, that's really not surprising.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 20:35   Link #1984
VTHokiePride

Just wondering, why is Nickelodeon refusing to air Korra on television? Is it just because it's a little risque for children and they just want to be done with it forever?
Old 2014-12-19, 20:50   Link #1985
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
Just wondering, why is Nickelodeon refusing to air Korra on television? Is it just because it's a little risque for children and they just want to be done with it forever?
I'd bet on the former rather than the latter. It probably had to do mostly with the type of content that they planned to show. Between the endgame pairing that's been suggested on top of the violent ways some characters met their ends, I could understand why Nick decided to pull it from television. (Notice how the series got pulled from television right before the Earth Queen died IIRC. And she didn't have a nice peaceful death either.)

The Avatar franchise was always more successful at targeting the older audience anyways. So limiting it to online viewing only was likely a win-win situation for everyone. Because the creators could put in more of the content they wanted, and Nick didn't have to risk airing such content on television where younger viewers could see it and angry parents could make a fuss about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I was pretty shocked too, all told. I had seen the subtext and hints, and they've been building it up for two books now, but I didn't really believe they'd go for it. If it was a TV show from over here, maybe, but Americans are ridiculously conservative, and American TV networks even moreso. I didn't think they'd have it be canon.
It's happened before. But the last time I remember this happening was on freaking Xena: Warrior Princess. lol
I can't wait to see if the creators will grace us with an interview that sheds some light on this seemingly controversial decision.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 21:04   Link #1986
Miraluka
Banned

^
I just hope certain fandom doesn't go in denial if the creators says no. And no, I'm not talking about narusaku this time .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 21:32   Link #1987
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Actually for me, I had not watched much of this show, but already I think I feel that it's sad to be gone.
Hopefully with that so, it is not the end.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 21:38   Link #1988
Who

I was kinda hoping the creators got really grimdark and ended it with Korra's defeat, and the birth of the Earth Avatar. :s

But I guess that's asking for too much.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 21:46   Link #1989
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I'd bet on the former rather than the latter. It probably had to do mostly with the type of content that they planned to show. Between the endgame pairing that's been suggested on top of the violent ways some characters met their ends, I could understand why Nick decided to pull it from television. (Notice how the series got pulled from television right before the Earth Queen died IIRC. And she didn't have a nice peaceful death either.)

The Avatar franchise was always more successful at targeting the older audience anyways. So limiting it to online viewing only was likely a win-win situation for everyone. Because the creators could put in more of the content they wanted, and Nick didn't have to risk airing such content on television where younger viewers could see it and angry parents could make a fuss about it.
I would not give Nick even that much credit. Moving korra to online because it was getting to risque atleast makes some sense given conservative america... no i feel it was more about them just wanting to end it all

Nick's handling of Korra has been an absolute disaster; rescheduled airings, the lack of promotion, lack of reruns, the sudden move to online, last minute budget cuts... it feels like after the second season they just lost all faith it and just tried to get it out of the way as cheaply as possible so they could save their timeslots for other shows. on Korrasami in particular, i might even imagine that it went over their heads, sailing just below their radar... seriously, i would not be surprised if that end shot gets cut somewhere down the line.
Old 2014-12-19, 21:54   Link #1990
SQA

American media isn't conservative. Just stop with that stupidity. There are censors and content guidelines because they exist in a world that they have to be very mindful not to piss too many people off. There's a very big difference between the two.

No, Nick has completely botched the entire Avatar franchise. A bit like Fox and Firefly. Brilliant property: Network Execs that don't know what to do with it. It happens more than people realize. Since I didn't see Avatar: The Last Airbender until after it's run, I didn't realize (until later) how much they even tried to screw up that one. Not that the writing/character progress was grand for the first 2 seasons of Korra.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 22:03   Link #1991
Miraluka
Banned

Well as far as I recall Nick really IS conservative, and only aired the edited version of Yugioh.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 22:21   Link #1992
VTHokiePride

So Nick isn't ever going to touch it again? I hope that this isn't the end and someone picks this up. They're still rolling out comics for the Avatar franchise.
Old 2014-12-19, 22:53   Link #1993
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
I'm not a Korra x Asami shipper either so that ending left a bad taste in my mouth, not just cuz of that but I felt the entire Team Avatar should have gone not just Asami, she wasn't even really apart of the team I felt ill book three. I mean the brothers started the team for Pete sake!
Well you've just answered your and many other people question. If creators wanted to show friendship, they would have whole gang go on a trip. The conversation would go:

"Hey, let's all of us go on a trip!" or "Let's go on a trip, with all of us!"

Not with "Let's go on a trip with just two of us."

I'm sorry, but you can deny it as much as you want, but this ending was a clear implication for more than pure friendship.

And it is not out of nowhere, their relationship was developed since episode 1 and became the closest of all in the show. Even Makorra with all their making out did not come close to it, especially is season 1. Now that one came out of nowhere.

Also let's not forget that this is children show. Implying gay romance anywhere else other then ending could get it cancelled before we even reached the ending or force creators to change their pairing decision.

And from personal experience, when you are so close with someone, an out loud love confession is not needed. Relationship simply comes naturally, at least that how it developed between me and my best friend. We simply were getting closer and closer.

No sudden I love you confessions.
Old 2014-12-19, 22:56   Link #1994
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Also, apart from the seriousness of the post:
Spoiler for Bad luck Mako:
This had me thinking back to the Seinfeld episode where George sees that his ex-girlfriend, Susan, has "become" a lesbian, and he wonders if he drove her to it by being such a bad representative for the male gender. In Mako's case, he's driven both of the girls towards the other team...

Overall, a good, satisfying ending. This is supposedly the end of the Avatar franchise as a whole, and in that light, it doesn't quite feel conclusive enough, but I concede there's no way to really pull off an ending that would. Kuvira and Bataar Jr. certainly flipped their way of thinking on a dime, but I guess that's forgivable given time constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Well you've just answered your and many other people question. If creators wanted to show friendship, they would have whole gang go on a trip. The conversation would go:

"Hey, let's all of us go on a trip!" or "Let's go on a trip, with all of us!"

Not with "Let's go on a trip with just two of us."

I'm sorry, but you can deny it as much as you want, but this ending was a clear implication for more than pure friendship.
I think if anyone argues otherwise they're either purposely denying it for whatever reason, or they're delusional. The implications were literally as obvious as possible while still adhering to the "American kids' cartoon" standard of conduct.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 22:56   Link #1995
Asuras
Dictadere~!

That pairing hit me like a 16-wheeler.
Old 2014-12-19, 23:55   Link #1996
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
cut
You make fair points, but I think they purposely left it ambiguous for both sides. Mako and Korra had a heartfelt moment, then Korra and Asami did. So to me they were saying "Here everyone, take that as you will and make your own epilogue."

In my opinion, I think it shouldn't have been romance with anyone at all. This season was about balance, and Korra finding her own balance. She finally did and throughout the season she has tried talking things out and going about things non-violently. It should've ended like this:

A few days later, Korra stops a crime in progress and saves lives by talking to the criminals and telling them what they're doing is wrong, in which case they stopped and turned themselves over to the police. Then everyone cheered for Korra as she had an inner monologue with the ending line "...And this is my Legend."
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 23:59   Link #1997
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post

To the purest form of love.
Hear, hear. *raises glass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
I think it was a good ending, but there were a few things that I wish they touched on before they ended it, especially Korra connecting to her past lives. That really needed to be touched upon again.

Fight sequences were strong, and the animation was great. But honestly, it was consistent throughout the whole season, which another strong point of Korra.

I think there could've been some more talking with Kuvria, because considering her character and personality, she gave up too easily. I also would've liked to have known what happened to her, but that's a personal thing rather than a genuine complaint.

Mako has always been a pretty controversial character on many fronts, but man he really did well in the finale. I have a new found respect for him. And I'm really glad Bolin was such a huge part of it as well. He had taken the back-burner so many times, but he really shone well this time. And his lava-bending is still some of the coolest bending this franchise has ever shown.

Also, seeing Asami's dad right the wrongs that he committed in seasons past was great development for Asami, and good closure for the character.

All in all, the ending was good. Not great, not bad, not terrible, but good. The Korra and Asami thing..... Honestly, they're just friends. Plain and simple. Asami was Korra's first female friend, which was a good characteristic to their friendship. But saying anything more than that just seems more of a delusion to me. Their heterosexuality was confirmed in season one, but their homo/bi was never confirmed. So in the end, friends.

But really, it did sour the ending a bit. It seemed pandering if anything. Just unauthentic and not genuine. It also looks like someone who saw the ending before it aired said they altered it for some reason. Stupid move if you ask me.

Good season though, it just doesn't stand up to season three.
What if the ending they saw is the one that's going to be aired on tv in nicktoons? This wouldn't be the first to do that.
Old 2014-12-19, 23:59   Link #1998
monster

The last scene was unexpected, but still a satisfying ending overall.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 00:05   Link #1999
Psyco Diver

By far the best scene of the whole finale is Meelo on the glass of the mech looking at Kuvira, it was just perfect and I couldn't stop laughing, on top of that he tricked Kuvira to face palm her mech.

Anyways I thought it was a 'good as its going to get ending'. It tied alot of things up, no major plot holes left, no real "WTF" or "come on, seriously?" moments. It left me satisfied with the end to a point I can accept that this is the end, while leaving it open enough for a new avatar to come down the road.

The yuri-ish ending is what I think a major middle finger to Nick while pandering to the shipping that started a while back. It creates enough of a buzz now that people will be curious about the show, want to watch the show, maybe even enough for the series to be picked up on another network (cartoon network?) for reruns or even a new series, although I know the creators said they want to take a break from it. At least thats what I think
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 00:15   Link #2000
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Next series the earth avatar lives in a modern state with TVs and phones in every house. He finds out his past self did the scissor.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra