AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-06-15, 11:12   Link #1561
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
That's a shame that you got turned off by that one aspect in one instance. As I already showed above, you kinda missed some good-to-great things that you actually want to see (mature read-head female mecha pilots is just one among many compelling aspects).

Yeah, that's why I want her character to break away from her "Joker without Batman"-role.

Not too soon though. She's still one of the most entertaining aspects in the show (so far). We demand entertainment through characters suffering!!! *and Alice is crying foul somewhere hearing that*
i was trying to avoid compare her with joker but really as you told she really looks like him, being a totally psycho funny monster like joker which sometimes can be very nasty and dangerous but others really fun and crazy.
Old 2017-06-15, 11:14   Link #1562
RDNexus

Why do people revel in characters suffering? I totally hate that train of thought.
Re:Creators is a nice example of people like that generating characters like Alice, Magane and Altair, to say the least
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 12:44   Link #1563
seiftis
~defying fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Why do people revel in characters suffering? I totally hate that train of thought.
Re:Creators is a nice example of people like that generating characters like Alice, Magane and Altair, to say the least
It's boring if the characters don't suffer ( emotionally/ physically) or get wounded a bit
Old 2017-06-15, 13:20   Link #1564
magnuskn

Characters need to get challenged for a story to be engaging, IMO. However, I really don't like the "make the character suffer as much as possible" shows, like Re:Zero. Also, the MC for that show was a pillock.
Old 2017-06-15, 13:29   Link #1565
RDNexus

Chellenged, yes. Martyrized, no.
Old 2017-06-15, 13:35   Link #1566
xizro345
King's Justice

The series Twitter started posting pictures of the upcoming episode, as usual:

Spoiler for Episode 11 spoilers:

Last edited by xizro345; 2017-06-16 at 00:55. Reason: fixed link
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 19:02   Link #1567
tuckersister

I'm still sticking to my theory of Setsuna being a hybrid.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 09:18   Link #1568
xizro345
King's Justice

https://www.pixivision.net/en/a/2534

It's an interesting article regarding certain choices in art direction of the anime. Sadly it's too long - I don't have enough time to translate it, but it deals with topics like the Pixiv clone "piclive" in the anime. For those who know Japanese it's an interesting insight regarding the choices of the art direction.
Old 2017-06-16, 09:23   Link #1569
RDNexus

I know I shouldn't ask this, but...is anyone here capable of translating that article?
Old 2017-06-16, 11:29   Link #1570
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
I know I shouldn't ask this, but...is anyone here capable of translating that article?
Since you seem to be interested, I'll try to summarize but don't expect to report even the small details:

- One of the people interviewed is Tomoyuki Arima, a designer, who is in charge of the series art direction (more specifically 2D design);

- Since their job was to reinforce the sense of believablity of the world, they created "Piclive" (which is the equivalent of Pixiv in the series universe);

- While Hiroe said his main inspiration was "Last Action Hero", there's also the fact the series revolves a lot around fictional material. Many creations appear, but the viewer isn't experiencing the original work. For example, Fate/Grand Order has already the estabilished background of the Fate franchise, so it's easier to understand references and immerse in the world. But Re;CREATORS has nothing like that. So, as Arima said, they have to rely on "stereotypes" to start from somewhere. For this reason they commissioned illustrations (since fantasy and mecha are common stereotypes) and created "Piclive";

- The layout clearly reminds of pixiv (that was done on purpose). Arima wanted to express the emotions of those who post on pixiv and hope to get at least 1 like from their work. Also the way the UI of Sota's PC and Piclive are shown was done on purpose (to show the difference between him, a sort of nobody, and the highest ranked artists);

- Arima feels the scenes where Sota tries to draw but can't "realistic", as they represent something that happens to artists (he usually mentions high schoolers and university students);

- The way the folder of Sota's drawings appears was done under Aoki's ideas (like, the order of the images or if they were done or half done),

- Arima briefly discusses that the images they requested for Piclive where uploaded by the respective artists on Pixiv, he feels it's good because it "melts the reality" and explains that this term means stuff similar to, when in 2007 for an ARG Chicago became Gotham City, a sort of immersive world where the boundary between reality and fiction blurs;

- Arima worked on Aldonah Zero as well, and remembers he put together a 16 page booklet for the press that detailed the setting. The catch was that the booklet was issued in several versions, one depicting the setting from the Earth side and the other from the Mars side;

- Arima jokes that he got permission from Kadokawa to print the "Anitype" booklet that comes with the LE BD. Of course, the magazine was done in the anime with the same concept of "melting reality";

- Part of the Anitype magazine shown actually has real titles mixed in, and someone noticed it an posted about it on Twitter;

- The visual used for the OST was done in order to connect with the story (i.e. it wasn't something made up for the sake of it);

- There's the mention of "design that gets closer to content", which means getting it closer to the world and the story of the anime.

Ok, that's roughly halfway of it, I'll try to do the other half later.

EDIT: Second part:

- The logo was created after the the scripts for episode 1 and 2 were made. The Piclive design and other design materials for the world came first;

- Eight people do the art direction for the series, and the material is shared between the team;

- The tangram in the logo is used a metaphor of the various fictional works and characters that compose the series;

- There also has been work on color design, with purple being the most common, even though there's a defining color for each character;

- Why purple? Because red represents the fictional world, blue our world, and the combination between the two (what happens in the series, basically) is purple;

- Arima also adds that he settled for purple because it's a color that doesn't represent either of the forces in the anime (fictional vs real);

- The web site was designed in a simple way due to the vast difference between characters and settings, to help comprehension;

- There are a few comments about the way the story "reconstructs" previous stories, in a Japanese way (there are other comparisons, with comics such as Wonder Woman);

- They also discuss the concept of the series of making creators interact with creations, though it's also ok to make comments such as "Meteora is cute";

- Arima said the story will expand "realistically" (exact quote is "物語が進んでいけば今お話したようなことが、よりリアルに伝わってくると思います") though I don't know when this interview took place so it's hard to understand what he's referring to (they reference up to the fifth episode). He's also frustrated he can't say more;

- He usually decides to take a job after reading the script, but made an exception for the series;

- He finds the premise interesting, especially these times where it's possible to edit and change stories;

- He feels he's less restricted while doing original animation, when it comes to art direction.

And that's it.

Last edited by xizro345; 2017-06-16 at 14:42. Reason: Complete synopsis of the article
Old 2017-06-16, 14:51   Link #1571
sikvod00

Thank you so much for sharing the article and translating as best you could. Out of curiosity, are you a native Japanese speaker\reader or was it something you learned on your own?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 14:59   Link #1572
RDNexus

Thanks, it's quite informative, despite many of those artistic choices having passed me by over the course of the series
Old 2017-06-16, 15:02   Link #1573
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing the article and translating as best you could. Out of curiosity, are you a native Japanese speaker\reader or was it something you learned on your own?
I've been studying the language for a while, and for the informed folks, I'm around JLPT N3 level.
I would have loved to do a more in-depth translation, but it was already time-consuming like this, not to mention to double check everything.

As a bonus, new picture from the next episode from the series Twitter:

Also, from the article, here's the sheet with the logo tests:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by xizro345; 2017-06-16 at 16:54.
Old 2017-06-16, 15:26   Link #1574
RDNexus

The image link failed
Old 2017-06-16, 17:05   Link #1575
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@xizro345 Thanks a lot for the translation. It's very informative & insightful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
i was trying to avoid compare her with joker but really as you told she really looks like him, being a totally psycho funny monster like joker which sometimes can be very nasty and dangerous but others really fun and crazy.
I'd still say her overall looks, cheerfully-villainous mannerism and her way with words resemble Ougi from Monogatari series a lot:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-06-16, 18:34   Link #1576
magnuskn

Thanks for the translation.
Old 2017-06-16, 23:44   Link #1577
xizro345
King's Justice

Another image from next episode:

EDIT: added another one.

Last edited by xizro345; 2017-06-17 at 05:13.
Old 2017-06-17, 09:57   Link #1578
xizro345
King's Justice

Well, that clears a few things. It also ties well with the interview I posted earlier.

https://www.sunday-webry.com/events/...d/interview11/

Spoiler for article spoilers:

Last edited by xizro345; 2017-06-17 at 10:12.
Old 2017-06-17, 11:43   Link #1579
tuckersister

Reminder. There is no new episode til July 8!!
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-17, 11:50   Link #1580
magnuskn

Hrm, so nothing today? I thought there would be some sort of special.

Tags
fantasy, mahou shoujo, mecha, sci-fi, summoning