AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-25, 23:12   Link #81
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So I take it you prefer Sonic Rush's gameplay as opposed to Sonic Unleashed/Colors'?

Personally I shall be getting the PS3 version with 100% certainty. Though I am considering the 3DS version too just for the nostalgia alone since it'll be remaking totally different stages from the console version.

I mean, I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I am still a bit of a Sonic nut.
Old 2011-05-25, 23:22   Link #82
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
So I take it you prefer Sonic Rush's gameplay as opposed to Sonic Unleashed/Colors'?

Personally I shall be getting the PS3 version with 100% certainty. Though I am considering the 3DS version too just for the nostalgia alone since it'll be remaking totally different stages from the console version.

I mean, I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I am still a bit of a Sonic nut.
Actually yeah, but if they're gonna remake stages from adventure 2 for modern sonic, I suppose there's no harm in also getting the console version.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 01:28   Link #83
lightningfire
gamer

go go sonic!!!
It’s a matter of keeping close the pain that causes you harm
lightningfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 01:35   Link #84
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

A Sonic game that actually stays true to its origins? WHATISTHISIDON'TEVEN
Old 2011-05-26, 02:25   Link #85
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
A Sonic game that actually stays true to its origins? WHATISTHISIDON'TEVEN
Depends on what you mean. If you mean in gameplay, then yeah this is probably the first one since the Genesis days to re-capture the essence of Sonic's original gameplay style.

If you mean atmosphere, then I have to disagree. I think Sonic Unleashed started to re-capture Sonic's world a little better, but then Colors perfected it. Heroes was a good re-capture of Sonic's old atmosphere as well.

While I know some don't, I do actually like the more realistic, complex-plot games too. (Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow, Sonic 06) It's always interesting to see something in a different light, though I can't say all the attempts were pulled off very well.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:35   Link #86
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I did mean gameplay; with the slew of recent Sonic attempts, I had almost given up on a current generation game that rivaled the originals. Trust me, I loved the Sonic Adventures, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Colors as well, but I never wanted to OWN any of them. The original Genesis games however...

Well, let's just say my Genesis collection is only missing Sonic 3 at the moment *rageface*
Old 2011-05-26, 03:02   Link #87
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Well, let's just say my Genesis collection is only missing Sonic 3 at the moment *rageface*
Sonic 3 is my favourite out of the Genesis era, so you should try fixing this problem.
Old 2011-05-26, 03:12   Link #88
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sonic 3 is my favourite out of the Genesis era, so you should try fixing this problem.
Such problematic issues such as this must be remedied, but not without a somewhat steep price. I have Sonic & Knuckles at the moment, but I do need to pay someday to have my Sonic 3 back
Old 2011-05-26, 10:18   Link #89
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
There is no Wii version. Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka says this is because “The primary goal for the console versions of Generations was reimagining the series’s classic zones in vivid, high-definition graphics.”
So, like a lot of other games of this generation, the focus is on graphics? Developers need to get their priorities straight.
Old 2011-05-26, 13:49   Link #90
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
So, like a lot of other games of this generation, the focus is on graphics? Developers need to get their priorities straight.
It's more than just that; they'd have to do a whole other game to get it to work on the Wii. It can't handle the engine that Unleashed/Generations uses.

EDIT: And honestly the whole time I was playing Sonic Colors, the biggest thing on my mind was that the game would be a lot more better if it wasn't stuck at 480p. It was just too distracting compared to Unleashed.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 13:51   Link #91
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
The focus isn't on graphics, clearly it's gameplay, but why blame them for wanting their game to look really pretty?
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 01:27   Link #92
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Japanese versions of the game are seeing a name change. You can find out over on andriasang.

Also the link lists the game as having a Winter release.
Old 2011-06-01, 01:43   Link #93
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Not so much a name change than it is "version subtitles".

"White Space and Time" and "Blue Adventure"?

And suddenly I'm reminded of Mega Man Battle Network 3.
Old 2011-06-01, 15:52   Link #94
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic
It's more than just that; they'd have to do a whole other game to get it to work on the Wii. It can't handle the engine that Unleashed/Generations uses.
That's nonsense. Sonic Unleashed is also on the PS2 and the Wii, and the version released on those platforms is actually the better one according to critics.
Quote:
And honestly the whole time I was playing Sonic Colors, the biggest thing on my mind was that the game would be a lot more better if it wasn't stuck at 480p.
Not everyone spends their time playing thinking how much better a game would look on $MORE_POWERFUL_SYSTEM. It's as silly as Xbox 360/PS3 players imagining how much better their games would look on a recent PC.

I don't think you should put that much importance on graphics, despite all the HD hype. I mean, people went postal when they found out that Halo 3 is rendered internally at 576p! Before HD, no one besides hardcore graphics enthusiasts would have cared.

If you really can't go without, play Sonic Colours using the Dolphin emulator at 1080p.

*puts on old man hat* You whippersnappers with your fancy HD! Why, in my day, we played games in 240i, and we liked it! Now get off my lawn!
Quote:
The focus isn't on graphics, clearly it's gameplay, but why blame them for wanting their game to look really pretty?
The quote implies otherwise. Besides, games can look really pretty in 480p as well. Look at Muramasa: The Demon Blade for a good example.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:22   Link #95
GyroidFanatic

I played games in 240i too; and I enjoyed Muramasa's graphics. It's just that Sonic Colors's resolution in particular stood out to me as constantly distracting.

Quote:
That's nonsense. Sonic Unleashed is also on the PS2 and the Wii, and the version released on those platforms is actually the better one according to critics.
Doesn't change the fact that it's still a completely different engine that needs to be programmed for differently. That would be a third version of the game they would have to develop.

Last edited by GyroidFanatic; 2011-06-01 at 20:23. Reason: I always spell Muramasa wrong...
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 22:47   Link #96
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
But most actual Sonic fans prefer the PS3/360 version from what I've read on Sonic forums.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 16:47   Link #97
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic
It's just that Sonic Colors's resolution in particular stood out to me as constantly distracting.
I don't see how it would be any less distracting as with Muramasa: The Demon Blade.
Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that it's still a completely different engine that needs to be programmed for differently. That would be a third version of the game they would have to develop.
Yet the engine was never part of the equation, and Sonic Unleashed shows that they could handle multiple engines for what is essentially the same game. They specifically refer to envisioning Sonic's world in HD graphics, which is silly.
Old 2011-06-03, 17:45   Link #98
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
We all know how critics are, yet. Hammer Unleashed for being linear and "plays for itself" and yet they all seem to think every iteration of Sonic Rush is a godsend. Personally speaking, of course, I find the 360/PS3 ver. of Sonic Unleashed much more impressive and the better game. A lot of it, I won't really deny it, is due to how awesome the whole thing looks. Plug your cable on a big screen and enjoy the show when playing levels such as Shamar.

Quote:
Yet the engine was never part of the equation, and Sonic Unleashed shows that they could handle multiple engines for what is essentially the same game. They specifically refer to envisioning Sonic's world in HD graphics, which is silly.
Yes and no, I guess. Sure, they developed a version of Unleashed on the PS2/Wii, but if you look at actual gameplay, you'll notice a lot of what's done in the PS3/360 side of things just can't be mimicked in those "SD consoles". Sure, people might say a lot of it is simple eyecandy, but Unleashed is a terrific looking game, and the beautiful camera work done by Sonic Team on the original game, along with how many interactive objects you could find through the stage should not be shrugged off as minor things. The game really was made for the Hedgehog Engine and while the mimicking they did for PS2/Wii was fun of its own accord, it's really not the same experience. Plus, Empire City (and Mazuri) couldn't even be recreated over there...

For comparison's sake: Shamar HD x Shamar SD

On that note, Sonic Colours was a step up from the original Unleashed Wii, probably because it was developed exclusively for Nintendo's console and wasn't held back by a PS2 version. However, it's hailed by fans as the best 3D Sonic games not because of its visuals (which are great on the Wii, I admit, just no comparison to Unleashed HD) but due to its varied gameplay with the Wisps. It was a pretty neat idea, and it worked quite well to add some nice platforming and variety to a game where people complain a lot about linearity and on how streamlined they are.

But yeah, with all that said, I feel I understand why they want to develop exclusively for the HD ones right now. Not to mention that the Wii isn't exactly living its best moment, either, and when the game comes out the excitement for Project Cafe/Wii2 will probably be reaching critical levels.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-06-03 at 17:55.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 17:41   Link #99
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Since it's E3 there's a bit new info on the game, with official box-art:

Spoiler for VERY BIG:

Plus a new trailer featuring another new stage for the PS360 version, City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2:

Also at the VERY end you'll see one last small clip teasing another stage, which is Rooftop Run (Spagonia) from Sonic Unleashed.
Old 2011-06-08, 04:06   Link #100
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I hope we see the return of Crush 40's City Escape for this level, though apart from that it looks fantastic. No complaints here!

Tags
platformer