AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-24, 09:29   Link #1
MantisShadow
Inactive Member

Crest of the Stars

Does anybody know how popular Crest of the Stars and its sequels were/are in Japan?
MantisShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 09:45   Link #2
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Popular enough to warrent animation of a second season
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 09:57   Link #3
MantisShadow
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Popular enough to warrent animation of a second season
Well I was really wondering if the second season (or should Seikai no Senki 2 be called a third season) is popular enough to warrant a follow up.

From what I could gather they were kind of waiting for the author to write some more novels.
Old 2003-11-24, 15:49   Link #4
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisShadow
Well I was really wondering if the second season (or should Seikai no Senki 2 be called a third season) is popular enough to warrant a follow up.

From what I could gather they were kind of waiting for the author to write some more novels.
As far as I know, Seikai no Senki 2 doesn't finish up the Seikai no Senki novels :/ Although Seikai no Monshou supposedly covered the first 3 novels (man, must've dropped a lot of stuff )
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 20:53   Link #5
NenMaster

crest of stars
banner of stars
banner of stars 2
must be popular
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 07:36   Link #6
MantisShadow
Inactive Member

Well I did figure it was popular simply from the no. of sequels.

But I suppose I wanted a more tangible idea of its popularity, for e.g. its sales figures.

Zalas it may have dropped a lot of stuff from the novels but it still had the literary level of characterisation which piqued my interest.
Old 2003-11-25, 19:54   Link #7
okashi
okashinaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisShadow
Well I did figure it was popular simply from the no. of sequels.

But I suppose I wanted a more tangible idea of its popularity, for e.g. its sales figures.

Zalas it may have dropped a lot of stuff from the novels but it still had the literary level of characterisation which piqued my interest.
Yeah, youre so right, I really liked the level of detail on the characters on this one. I hope it was popular enough for the makers to eventually decide on a sequel.
okashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 06:14   Link #8
root
Not REAL root

I love this series.

Check out this site for info about this series. http://seikai.no-ip.com/
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 18:37   Link #9
goofy

Crest of the Stars is very good. The first episode is kinda boring though, but it is needed to set-up the story.
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 19:12   Link #10
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

I have the first boxset and so pissed cause there already on(for refrence puropses) the third season with no boxset on the second on?!?!?! I've been feening to watch the rest the though, can't wait for it to come over to the states complete. And I know there all on single dvds but thats a waste of money.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 17:32   Link #11
vio5555

Just got the last dvd, so now I have all 10 dvds,
just go buy banner of the stars, dont wait for the boxset, because theres only three dvds each for banner of teh stars I and II, waiting for crest of the stars was worth it cause there was 4 dvds, but now you should just get them, believe me its worth it.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 23:21   Link #12
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Ya bastard, that was actually pretty convincing. Damn, I need money now. But If they come out with a boxset after I get them. ITS YOUR HEAD!
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 16:17   Link #13
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This was one of my early favorites when I started watching anime four years ago. On a whim, I watched episode one again last night. Now I am up to episode seven. This show is irresistible: great science fiction, great adventure, great romance, great characters. Lafiel above all. I still think of Crest as a masterpiece.

Lafiel is one of Kawasumi Ayako's best voices. And Koyasu Takehito as Baron Febdash strikes the right combination of weakness, determination, and wiliness. And of course, I have always loved Captain Lexshue, both for what she does and for what she is to Lafiel. Her seiyuu, Takashima Gara (now 53 years old, 44 in Crest) has shown up this year as Gioconda in Slayers Revolution.

I see so much more this second (or is it fourth?) time around.

And the novels are fairly easy Japanese. There is also a nice compendium in three $5 volumes called the "Seikai no Monshou Filmbook" 星界の紋章フィルムブック that retells the story with pictures from the anime liberally interspersed in a simplified text.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 19:37   Link #14
Wesley84

I can see alot of people liking the first series, but the second one blew junks.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 19:56   Link #15
Random Wanderer

Holy necromancy, Batman.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 23:19   Link #16
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Holy necromancy, Batman.
Lol. I had to search to find a thread to resurrect. But I'm proving to myself that this is a show with great rewatch value.

No question that the second and third series were not as good as the first, Wesley84. But I enjoyed them. I'll find out in the near future if they are rewatchable, too. As I recall, there was too much space battle and too little relationship for me in Banner I. I did enjoy the OVA that came out a couple of years ago.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 02:23   Link #17
Wesley84

They took Abh supremacy way too far if you ask me.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 20:52   Link #18
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Finished Crest of stars and Banner of Star and about to start the second season...

From all the futuristic / spaceship series, this one is the one i liked the most. First of all the quality of the sarcastic jokes between the Abh cant be compared. Those Abh took "elegancy" to another level lol. Also the romance between Jinto and Lafei is very nice... kind of remainded me of Gundam Seed but much more elaborated. I wonder if there is some kind of marriage ceremony between the Abh or they just skip to the "mixing the genes" part... i hope to see some a bit more of love-lovey in the second season... took Lafei 2 whole seasons to accept that she cared about Jinto -.-
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 23:20   Link #19
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
No question that the second and third series were not as good as the first, Wesley84. But I enjoyed them.
I'd argue that the third one is the best one among them all though, with the first season and the OVA closely following
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 07:35   Link #20
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
This was one of my early favorites when I started watching anime four years ago.
Same here! In fact, I liked them so much I purchases the DVD sets for the first three series (the only reason I didn't pick up the fourth and last is because the OVA was never released in the US). Great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I can see alot of people liking the first series, but the second one blew junks.
I disagree. The first series, Crest of the Stars was great, but I thought Baner of the Stars and Banner of the Stars II (the second and third series) were just as good. The only one I found a bit disappointing was the Banner of the Stars III OVA, but even that was only in comparison to how good the others were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Holy necromancy, Batman.
And if Kaoru had started a whole new thread instead, somone would have commented on that, too.