AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 05:57   Link #1621
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicflier View Post
So I played Rewrite just a few days ago, and finished my first play-through today... but I seemed to have ended up in a route that is labeled with my own name (Kotarou). After that it shortly led me back to the front page of the visual novel.

Did I just trigger a bad end?

Any thoughts from those who are knowledgeable of the game would be appreciated. D:
You just got yourself a Bad End bro.

Tip 1: You can only pick Kotori, Lucia and Chihaya in the first playthrough. Kotori's route unlocks Shizuru's and Chihaya's route unlocks Akane's.
Tip 2: Pick a heroine...and become a total stalker. Every option involving her just answer positively (and if you don't know the effect of an answer, save and load), while disregarding the other girls.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 09:35   Link #1622
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Here's a question.
Spoiler for Common & Moon:
Old 2013-02-22, 09:52   Link #1623
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirety View Post
Here's a question.
Spoiler for Common & Moon:
Spoiler:
Old 2013-02-22, 11:40   Link #1624
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
It is not theory, It was already stated plain clear in the game by Kotarou itself, I think you are missing some lines here. You should try read again starting from the part where there was one familiar trying to attack Kagari until the part where Kotarou talk to himself in the forest.

Spoiler for Answer:
Okay it took me a while to get around to investigating this, but I found what you're referring to.
Spoiler for Moon:
Old 2013-02-22, 12:50   Link #1625
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Terra was never intended to be the game's "grand finale", and ultimately it's not supposed to be about "stirring the heart" as it is supposed to be thought-provoking. I suggest reading that interview posted on the Amaterasu Blog...
Also, screw you. There's a lot of apocalyptic stories, sure, but Rewrite is probably among the best in that regard I've ever read. Just because you don't care about the world ending doesn't mean that anyone else doesn't.
Spoiler for Furthermore,:
Quote:
Terra was never intended to be the game's "grand finale", and ultimately it's not supposed to be about "stirring the heart" as it is supposed to be thought-provoking. I suggest reading that interview posted on the Amaterasu Blog...
Followed your advice and read the interview on Amaterasu. All things considered though, my overall opinion hasn't changed and I'll explain why.

Spoiler for Tanaka Quote:

To be clear, I have absolutely no intention or desire to get into a pointless debate about what-ifs, but... seriously? That's the happiest ending they could've come up? Pardon me, but I don't buy that for a second.

In hindsight, it seems while Tanaka has the general idea for what the ending should be like, there's also the sense of a self-imposed restraint with respect to the characters and how they might've been reintroduced. Take this quote for example:

Spoiler for Tanaka Quote:

I understand the concept of wanting to liberate characters from their "emotional baggage," but not at the cost of undermining a central, underlying plot point; in this case being the Occult Club.

Throughout the whole Common Route and through most of the Character Routes, that was central to Kotarou's character and his motivation. Regardless of who he ended up with, we understood where he was coming from and the pain he endured whenever he ended opposing another friend.

Spoiler for Moon/Terra:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
and ultimately it's not supposed to be about "stirring the heart" as it is supposed to be thought-provoking.
I understand that, but a thought-provoking scenario is second to the emotional satisfaction one demands from their investment in the characters.

If you don't have that, then why in the world would you suffer through the boredom of reading the scenario otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
Also, screw you. There's a lot of apocalyptic stories, sure, but Rewrite is probably among the best in that regard I've ever read. Just because you don't care about the world ending doesn't mean that anyone else doesn't."
First of all, let's avoid needless insults and try to keep this discussion civil, shall we?

Secondly, I admit that I may not have been specific enough when I mentioned in my previous comment about no one caring about the end of the world. My apologies for that, and I will try to clarify.

When I said that, I meant to imply that as apocalyptic scenarios are so common these days, they don't surprise you anymore. There's nothing terribly mind-blowing about them that's going to have you jump out of your seat.

Spoiler for Little Busters!:

That said, I do concede that Rewrite shows at least some imagination in its apocalyptic scenario. It's just that I believe that, with respect to Terra, they let the scenario carry the characters rather than the characters carrying the scenario; which is, IMHO, a mistake.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 13:48   Link #1626
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I agree with you that Terra should probably have been more emotionally significant, but that wasn't the point and furthermore I didn't find the scenario boring in the least. Most people here don't either from what I can tell; this is your opinion. Please don't try to make it anything more than that.
Spoiler for Additionally,:
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 14:32   Link #1627
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
I understand that, but a thought-provoking scenario is second to the emotional satisfaction one demands from their investment in the characters.
This is subjective and each person has a preference when it comes to storytelling.

And there is the goal of the route, narratively speaking. Tanaka on Terra subverted the classic cliche of true endings. (true for Key VNs, where almost always resolves the final conflict with an ass pull)
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 16:06   Link #1628
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirety View Post
Okay it took me a while to get around to investigating this, but I found what you're referring to.
Spoiler for Moon:
Well, you have a point. The game didn't clarify it clearly too so I will leave it on that.

As about your 2nd question
Spoiler for Answer:
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 22:08   Link #1629
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Spoiler for Moon:
Old 2013-02-23, 12:21   Link #1630
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I never got around to playing this game. I've just started Rewrite. I'm going for Kotori's rute... because GODDAMN is she adorable. I've never heard a sweeter, cuter voice then this performance from Chiwa-san. I just want to hug Kotori, forever.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 14:09   Link #1631
Magicflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
You just got yourself a Bad End bro.

Tip 1: You can only pick Kotori, Lucia and Chihaya in the first playthrough. Kotori's route unlocks Shizuru's and Chihaya's route unlocks Akane's.
Tip 2: Pick a heroine...and become a total stalker. Every option involving her just answer positively (and if you don't know the effect of an answer, save and load), while disregarding the other girls.
Thank you.
Magicflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 19:42   Link #1632
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Did you guys hear? Rewrite is a subpar VN that reads like it was written by a 15-year-old.
Old 2013-02-26, 20:09   Link #1633
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
This guy is quite hilarious...an idiot, but still a funny one nonetheless.
Old 2013-02-26, 20:22   Link #1634
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
While the person makes decent points about the jarring difference between the lightheartedness of the common route and the severity of the later routes, some production issues, and perhaps even that point towards the end about the nature of VN production, the poster overplays all the bad things about Rewrite (some of which are actually issues with Rewrite and some actually not) and severely, severely downplays all the good things, even stuff that was in the common route.
Tenoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 20:38   Link #1635
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

He also (probably) hasn't finished the game, if that wasn't obvious from the way he talks about it.
Old 2013-02-26, 20:44   Link #1636
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
He also (probably) hasn't finished the game, if that wasn't obvious from the way he talks about it.
I got that feeling too...as I read it I couldn't help but think "This guy rushed through the Common Route, got a Bad End and quit."
Old 2013-02-26, 23:10   Link #1637
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I got that feeling too...as I read it I couldn't help but think "This guy rushed through the Common Route, got a Bad End and quit."
He certainly played more than just the CR, but the way he talks about the environmentalism, and how I know he hasn't been playing it for long enough to get more than two or three endings to begin with, is pretty solid evidence that he hasn't finished.
Old 2013-02-26, 23:18   Link #1638
Kirayuki

Okay, I only need to read his screenshot and the caption below it to basically sum up what his thought is.....so
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 08:16   Link #1639
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

The line used in that caps is really Ryukishi like IMO. I wonder if he also feels that way for every works that Ryukishi writes

It's from tumblr anyway so I don't really give a damn.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 09:23   Link #1640
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Spoiler for Full game spoiler:

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel