AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-20, 02:50   Link #1
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch

I have been cruising the net and have seen this new character her name is karen and she seems to have a grude vs Lina and had affairs with the evil kaito I dont much since my japanese sucks and I only knew from another website also there will be another group who have similar powers to the mermaid princesses and
Spoiler:

Last edited by xris; 2004-05-18 at 08:08.
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 12:29   Link #2
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
If you want some big spoilers, here's some of my translated lines from my scripts around eps 27-28:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That should cover things fairly well :P
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 09:16   Link #3
Ookla The Mok

OK, I started watching this show on Saturday mornings because it comes on after Sailor Moon (though on a different channel). And I went out and bought the manga (vol 3 comes out next month! yay!).

So what I'm wondering is...evil-Kaito, are you sure his name is Kaito? In the manga his name is Gakuto (in katakana, no kanji), and in the anime sometimes it sounds like they're saying Gaito rather than Kaito (they could have changed it in the anime to avoid getting sued by Gackt, maybe). Anyway the manga still has that thing when Lina shows up where she thinks Kaito is actually Gakuto and there's some sort of connection between them, but why did the anime go and give him the same name (if that's what they did, if it's not actually Gaito) and make it all the more confusing?
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 10:16   Link #4
Lina
moo.

Must... not... read... spoilers... !

Even though it'll probably be next year until we're up to episode 20...

And is it just me, or are the "mermaid traps" getting more cheesey by the minute? I don't want to criticize a kid's show but... c'mon...

"Everyone knows mermaids love music! Come out, mermaids!"
"This rain will surely attract mermaids conveniently to where I am!"
"Mermaids love festivals!"
"Everyone knows mermaids are attracted to fire! o _ O"
etc.

That's my only gripe. However, I'm still enjoying the music and romance between Kaito and Luchia so it's not a big deal. It's what keeps me watching.
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 17:31   Link #5
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

aw dang hit and missed
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 00:39   Link #6
Ookla The Mok

Lucia

Er, I see that in episode 11, Lunar/A-Flux started using "Gaito." I hadn't watched that episode yet when I posted above. Good decision. The two names definitely sound different when they say them.

However, that episode also includes Lucia's name on a sign, in English, with the spelling "Lucia." If you didn't know, Lucia is an Italian name, and "ci" in Italian is pronounced like "chi" in romaji. Here's a site with sound clips of the pronunciation of operas' names.

http://patriciagray.net/Operahtmls/WSounds/luc.aiff

The opera there is Lucia di Lammermoor.

When I started watching this show and then got the manga, I wondered if it was meant to be Lucia. While I'm not sure the spelling has ever appeared in the manga (or any roman spelling at all), it seems to me this was the spelling intended from the start. THOUGH one argument against that is that her name is in hiragana instead of katakana, in which case if you follow the usual rules, only "Ruchia" would be correct. "Luchia" is out.

Anyway, the episode that was on TV this morning was definitely a great episode. Wish I could understand more. For an anime that has to have a lot of filler because the manga is monthly, last week's episode was like filler for filler!
Old 2003-12-29, 22:59   Link #7
Go-lytely

Any Mermaid Melody fans out there

It seems like typical mahou shoujo fare but I am still hooked by it for some reason. The singing isnt too great sometimes but I like the op/ed and there seems to be a bit of a love triangle forming after ep 16 and I want to see how it all turns out. Only ten more eps to go, thanks Lunar and A-flux.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:05   Link #8
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
It seems like typical mahou shoujo fare but I am still hooked by it for some reason. The singing isnt too great sometimes but I like the op/ed and there seems to be a bit of a love triangle forming after ep 16 and I want to see how it all turns out. Only ten more eps to go, thanks Lunar and A-flux.

Who says only 10 eps?
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:20   Link #9
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

Yeah, the series conclude at episode 26, sadly. I'm not a fan, just sort of a regular for the show, for some odd reasons I really liked the style of the characters, and after watching Mermaid's Forest, I really needed this show to cleanse my memory and rid of those horrifying creatures from Rumiko's world...which were more like half-ghoul/half fish rather than mermaids.

I liked all the shining and over-dramatic moments in Mermaid Melody, and like any good shoujo anime, the tranformation scenes! This show is a great example of every pre-conceived ideas of mermaids that i have.

by the by, i really wish i can turn back time, Mermaid's Forest has totally ruined the mental image i had for mermaids. DONT watch that show if you're a fan of Little Mermaid every since 2nd grade. gah, someone should of warned me.
jir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:40   Link #10
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
I'd like to point some things out :P

1) There are other groups subbing Mermaid Melody right now as well, like the group I'm from. Shoujo-Anime. :P We just released episode 11 today and we have scripts continuing for quite awhile. Most of our staff just is busy with IRL stuff, so we don't release as fast as some of the other groups. What can you do~ Hopefully, you can be expecting more soon.

2) The series does NOT end at 26. More than likely, it will be ending at 52. Episode 39 aired on saturday, and there was a preview for 40, so it didn't end there either =P You may enjoy it now, but I have a feeling you'll only be watching it for the music as it gets higher up. Lots of useless filler eps, need to go into plot more.

Whee, that's all :d
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 00:41   Link #11
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

banzai for 52!!!!!!!!!!!!!! weeeee. and i don't really mind the fillers, as long as they're all cute and innocent like that.!
jir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 06:23   Link #12
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
I like it sorta.. The songs aren't bad though, but Luchia just sings so goddamn ugly. >>
LBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 06:29   Link #13
Lucier
Lunar Translator

You think LUCHIA sings bad...
wait till you hear Karen >.>
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 07:31   Link #14
Ookla The Mok

I missed it on Saturday this week. I plain forgot it was Saturday and slept in. Easy to do that over the break.

I really like this series, but some of the episodes are really fillerish even for filler standards. Actual plot is a good thing. (*huggles his MMPPP manga*)
Old 2003-12-30, 07:33   Link #15
LBW
I like obscure crap

Lucier: uh oh >>';;

Last edited by LBW; 2003-12-30 at 07:56.
Old 2003-12-30, 10:19   Link #16
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I'm a fan! ^_^ I like singing anime.. I'd like to check out the manga but it's too bad I can't read japanese. xD Oh well. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

jir0: That's what I like about Rumiko's Mermaid Saga. It's a different and dark look on the legend of mermaids. It's really great. And if you would've done some research first you'd realize it's horror and not cute shoujo. xD
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 10:26   Link #17
Go-lytely

Wow, 52 eps. I wonder why all the guides say 26. Anyway, I dont mind filler eps. Those morning shoujo animes always seem to have lots of them.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 12:21   Link #18
Anlushac11

Cool

This show reminds me of Sailor Moon except with Mermaids. But I like it.

Luchia is a cute and charming character and I like her talking voice. Not a big fan of the songs. My favorite character is the green haired Mermaid, Lina. And I think Lina has the best singing voice.

If this show goes beyond 26 it wont hurt my feelings at all.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 19:04   Link #19
LBW
I like obscure crap

*thanks the people at Lunar and Influx for ep 17*
Old 2003-12-31, 21:23   Link #20
Ookla The Mok

Lina's voice actress (no birth year listed, but look at that picture) is at least twice as old as Lucia's. Lucia's voice actress is 14 years old. That makes Lucia one of the few anime characters with a realistic voice for her age.

I like all their singing voices, but I like Lina's and Lucia's for different reasons.