AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-31, 20:06   Link #501
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
My guess was along those lines. And if i may be so bold and ask...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-31, 20:08   Link #502
August138

Even in YAMATO: 2199, Vice Chancellor Hess gets no respect...

Old 2012-05-31, 20:20   Link #503
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well. At least the Gamilon ladies look good.

Though those do look like military uniforms to me.

Also Dessler's tastes seem to be the same....blondes.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-31 at 20:32.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 21:38   Link #504
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Saw ep 1, this looks like my cup of tea. I'm getting excited. Oh man i want more now! If only i wasn't so broke right now, i would have bought it.

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2012-05-31, 23:23   Link #505
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most of those questions will be answered in episode two (or three for full effect of the ship and weapons).

As to the question about then checking the fighter to see if it was armed? It is a new plane...maybe they didn't know were to look and just assumed that a figher on the line would be armed. They do appear to be cadets, or just out of the academy.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:35   Link #506
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Saw ep 1, this looks like my cup of tea. I'm getting excited. Oh man i want more now! If only i wasn't so broke right now, i would have bought it.

Spoiler for ep 1:
I guess you never saw the original. You're lucky that this is your first taste then. I'm impervious to spoilers but not sure you want those questions answered here. See the episodes and enjoy the ride. As for being broke... yeah, i feel your pain. If this wasn't Yamato i wouldn't make the effort i'm making right now, basically every cent i can divert is going into this. XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 14:04   Link #507
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Starblazers.com had a question and answer about the large opening on the Gamilus ships (The "eyeballs" as they call them).

In the old version, these seem to be large weapon ports. So far there in no indication that this has changed other than they change color now depending on if the Gamilus ship is powered down, cruising, or ready for combat. Though now every Gamilus vessel seems to have ports like these on them...be it a battleship or a fighter. Make it seem like engine intakes or something. But then the color wouldn't change for battle. From a dull green for cruise to that classical yellow to orange gradiant color they've had since 1974 for combat. Maybe they are intakes now rather than weapons ports? (The old version had energy beams firing out of them fairly often)
Old 2012-06-01, 17:22   Link #508
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for weapons and improvements. It is quite a step to go from this (in Episode 1):

(Earth Fleet's weapons seem to be deflected off the Gamilus ships via a barrier at the Battle at Pluto.)
-----------------------------------------------
To this (by Episode 3's preview):

(Yamato's shock cannons and fusion shells seem to have no problem damaging or destroying the same type of Gamilus ships.)
Old 2012-06-01, 17:44   Link #509
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Starblazers.com had a question and answer about the large opening on the Gamilus ships (The "eyeballs" as they call them)... In the old version, these seem to be large weapon ports... (The old version had energy beams firing out of them fairly often)
I don't recall seeing anything of this sort.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:35   Link #510
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It was in the Star Blazers intro every week for the first series:
(From the fight with the Asteroid Ring)

It might have been an animation error for that episode only. It was done more than once in that episode. However, since that one shot gets shown over and over again with the Star Blazers' opening....
Old 2012-06-01, 18:57   Link #511
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Question regarding subtitles

Just today I watched a torrent of episode 1. I have no idea if the rip was of the subtitled video on the BD, or if it was the unsubbed video with their own subtitles added. All I know is that the subtitles I was were at the bottom, and due to the thin letters and no back shading/shadows were easily lost in bright scenes.

Anyone with the actual BD -- are the subtitles like that, or did I just watch a bad sub?
BChoinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 18:57   Link #512
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It might have been an animation error for that episode only. It was done more than once in that episode. However, since that one shot gets shown over and over again with the Star Blazers' opening....
Yes, I do believe that this was a faux pas by the animation staff of this sequence (Episode 9), as they were never meant to be gun ports.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:59   Link #513
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChoinski View Post
Anyone with the actual BD -- are the subtitles very thin lettered and easily lost, or did I just watch a bad subbing?
The Subs for the legit Blu-ray are bold and very easy on the eyes.
Old 2012-06-01, 19:06   Link #514
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Quote:
The Subs for the legit Blu-ray are bold and very easy on the eyes.
Okay, good. I like the fact that they did nod to their non-japanese audience with this feature, but it would have sucked if they were just lazy about it.
BChoinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 21:43   Link #515
August138

You can see it for yourself — I posted this shot a few pages back (around April 9th):

Old 2012-06-01, 23:07   Link #516
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Yes, I do believe that this was a faux pas by the animation staff of this sequence (Episode 9), as they were never meant to be gun ports.
I've always wondered about the "eyeballs" of the Gamilas warships. Were those supposed to be some kind of Bussard Ramscoop or something.

I know in the seris they were often animated as beam/plasma-looking weaponry, but we never really saw any official info on the original Gamilas fleet.

Also, weren't the Gamilas warships fitted with energy resistant armor akin to the type used by the Dark Nebula and Guindellian ships (which is why Yamato uses "fusion shells" to defeat them).
Old 2012-06-02, 01:05   Link #517
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, "Wave Motion Cartridges", but yes, thick energy resistant armor was on the larger Dark Nebula ships. So thick (or absorbant) on the stations that even a Wave Motion Gun was useless. (My belief is that these "Fusion Shells" are a predecessor to the "Wave Motion Cartridges" which will have more power in them.)

I'm uncetain about the Gamilus Fleet due to them (aside from the Battle at Pluto) being really easy to blow up for the entire rest of the series. Until the Garman ships of the third series, Gamilus ships pop really easy when just about anybody shoots at them. The exception to this seem to be the Battle Carriers, which seem to be able to take some punishment (one of the few ship types that takes a shock cannon hit and survives...even if it was punctured by the shot).

Only at the Battle at Pluto does energy seem to just bounce and disperses off their ships (in the original episode)...

...and in the modern version, the Earth blasts seem to be displaced around the hull by some sort of field. As the beam bends around the ship and then more or less follows its original path.

But so far...after Pluto...the subject of energy bouncing off the Gamilus ships never comes up again. At least in the old version. It hasn't come up yet in the new version.

Though, judgin from the scale increase on the Gamilus ships and their stated weapons...I'd actually take them up against the Dark Nebula Empire. They aren't a fleet of teeny tiny ships with only a few captial ships anymore. There weapons might not be as powerful as they could be, but they won't pop quite as easily against anyone not named Yamato.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-02 at 01:17.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 05:29   Link #518
macdawson

I think that's due to the fact that the Yamato's energy weapons are based on new technology and powered by Wave-Motion Energy, wich pack a lot more punch than the standard energy weapons the Earth ships are equiped with. Using physical projectiles instead of energy weapons might be just a matter of tactics or desired effect.

Back on the subject of the ongoing process of animation here are 2 examples of how the animation was twicked in the last month or so.

Kirishima and Yamato, from the preview in episode 2

Kirishima and Yamato, from the new trailer

Kirishima got navigation lights, not much of a change but it does look better. The other shot i have, however, shows considerable work.

Yamato Warping, from the preview in episode 2

Yamato warping, from the new trailer

As you can see we go flom a flat surface Yamato to one filled with detail, guess they used the same hand drawn detail technique used profusely in the Kirishima in episode 1. Also the stars are now streaking past, in true warp fashion.

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-06-02 at 05:45.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:17   Link #519
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Enjoying this anime tremendously, though seeing current-day animation with old-school beam sounds feels weird. Not bad, just... weird.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 07:17   Link #520
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Enjoying this anime tremendously, though seeing current-day animation with old-school beam sounds feels weird. Not bad, just... weird.
They use them because they were way ahead of their time in that department. Also...they're just awesome.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato