AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2003-12-30, 00:47   Link #1
scorpio

Send a message via AIM to scorpio
license

i read somewhere on this forum that it would be really tough to dub it over here? can anyone explain why? thanks.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 00:51   Link #2
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

Dubs suck. there fore, i hate.
jir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 01:11   Link #3
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
not really, the people just probably don't like dubs, just like the person above.

now if you're talking about a hi-quality dub job, then yes that might be a bit daunting. the amount of voice actors in america seems to be less than in japan, that or i just happen to come across the same ones for some... odd.... reason. and since almost all the characters are 12-14 years of age... you'd have to get some adults to speak like kids.

and translation.... that's for someone else.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 01:54   Link #4
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

you scared me out of my chair with the title *lisence* jease but its just about dubbin so ok
Lee-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 09:29   Link #5
Blue Siren
Yuki is MINE!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue Siren
WTF!!! I thought I was gonna have a heart attack Jesus Christ allmighty I thought they announced Natuto was going to get licenced or somethig... wow my blood pressure still sky high.

...Oh I hate dubs too
Blue Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 13:25   Link #6
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio
i read somewhere on this forum that it would be really tough to dub it over here? can anyone explain why? thanks.
I happened to see part of an Episode of Yu-Gi-Oh when I was at a friend's house and her kid was watching it.

The reason why it'd be hard to dub over here:

12 year old characters, 35 year old voice actors.

Imagine Sakura with your mom's voice.

Voice acting isn't as popular here. All voice over actors want to be "real" actors, and all "real" actors can't really do voice, and on top of that, want a "real" actor's paycheck. Meaning...you get crappy people to do a crappy job for crappy pay instead.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 13:36   Link #7
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Send a message via AIM to Jack Zodiac
Also, the liscensing rights would be expensive as hell for a popular series which is still being both written and animated and show no sign of stopping very soon.
Jack Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 13:49   Link #8
Shadow Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac
Also, the liscensing rights would be expensive as hell for a popular series which is still being both written and animated and show no sign of stopping very soon.
Yes but same go's for inu yasha.. and they still paid big bucks for it . I think naruto shall be lisienceds in the next coming mounths. Its already the #1 manga in the american jump mag. Also volume 1 and 2 sold very nicely.. This shows there is a large fan base here and im shure all the major dubing companys have there eye on naruto.

I shall take a wild guess and say its going to be this spring or early summer.

anyway.. I like dubs.. =\ Good ones that is.. the crappy ones I have heard before say.. oh... lost universe(*shrugs*) And maze(wtf was up with that...).
Shadow Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 13:55   Link #9
Muraki
Dreamer

Bah, would you really enjoy seeing Naruto raped by uncaring officials in an attempt to make money ~_~ most dubs turn out horrifying...

Though there is a chance it won't be to bad like the Coyboy Bebop dub even if they cut out parts from the Jupiter episodes...can't remember it well nemore, havn't seen it in a bit...-_-;;

Inuyasha is overrated...

Lost Universe isn't a horrificly bad series coming from the people who made Slayers and Slayers NEXT but the dub sucked XD XD the voices all sounded the same to me...
Muraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 14:09   Link #10
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Send a message via AIM to Jack Zodiac
Inu Yasha was also a good hundred episodes in before the series was picked up. I really wouldn't worry about Naruto being liscenced until late next year, or the year after.
Jack Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 17:42   Link #11
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac
Inu Yasha was also a good hundred episodes in before the series was picked up. I really wouldn't worry about Naruto being liscenced until late next year, or the year after.
Um, no. Bandai's rep Jerry Chu has already said that basically every major company is in negotiations for liscensing Naruto. The only reason it hasn't been liscensed yet is because the big companies keep outbidding each other. They know this could be the next Dragon Ball Z so everyone wants it.

It'll probably be liscensed by this summer.

EDIT: And InuYasha was around episode 85 when it was liscensed...HARDLY "a good hundred episodes in"
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 18:16   Link #12
Grav
Gone

Send a message via AIM to Grav
I can't wait to hear "Art of the Doppleganger!" every time someone does a bunshin...

ugh..
Grav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 18:37   Link #13
reymysteriojr

brb i think i shat myself when i seen the word licensed...i thought either naruto was being licensed at first then i though you were asking if you need a license to dub....
reymysteriojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 18:42   Link #14
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Originally Posted by reymysteriojr
brb i think i shat myself when i seen the word licensed...i thought either naruto was being licensed at first then i though you were asking if you need a license to dub....
Just thinking about dubbed Naruto makes me feel a bit queasy :/

Its very hard for american voice actors to recreate the japanese script with the same emotion I find (so many bad memories )
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 19:02   Link #15
PraxRX7

Send a message via ICQ to PraxRX7
dubs....

The scripting and voice acting is strictly following emotion and scripts with cue's and all sorts of pointers (like a movie). North American Dubbing loses the emotion, the humor, and a lot of the time the actual substance of all the conversations due to that fact that dubbers want the "mouth movements" to match the animation.

This screws everything up. If liscesing people had any common sense they would just import it, sub it, and show it on TV subbed. But because they don't it normally gets liscensed either dubbed, and destroyed, or it gets liscensed subbed and only available on DVD with no marketing (which hurts sales and the original japanese producers of the anime).

I have a plan...moving to japan and learning japanese is the only solution!~

As long as they put out some good DVD's with decent pricing and optional original japanese format with subtitles in english, I will be happy (as long as they release all the episodes on DVD BEFORE airing the stupid thing on TV...I couldn't imagine waiting another 65 weeks just to see the next episode!!! I would DIE!).
PraxRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 21:00   Link #16
Pendragon2879
The Incarnation of Chaos

Send a message via AIM to Pendragon2879
Naruto... Being licensed... you had me scared for a moment. I can't really see Naruto having a good dubbed version. I don't know many voice actors that can get the hyperactive, and sure voice of Naruto. But just about anyone can do Sakura's voice in my opinion as long as they didn't stray to far from the light voice of a girl.
Pendragon2879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 21:32   Link #17
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraxRX7

This screws everything up. If liscesing people had any common sense they would just import it, sub it, and show it on TV subbed. But because they don't it normally gets liscensed either dubbed, and destroyed, or it gets liscensed subbed and only available on DVD with no marketing (which hurts sales and the original japanese producers of the anime).
See, this just reinforces the fact that most anime fans are fools who have no business second guessing companies or pretending to have the knowledge to make business decisions.

NO ONE would watch anime on TV with subtitles...well, let me correct myself...no one besides fanatical fanboys like yourself. No normal person would. No network would air it. It would be a ratings disaster. Would Inu Yasha be as popular as it is now if it was aired subbed...NO. Would Dragonball Z...NO. Would Pokemon...NO. People don't like to read their TVs. Companies have stated MANY MANY times that the reason anime DVDs are as cheap as they are now are because dubs are there. DVDs with only subs have NEVER sold well. The Cardcaptor Sakura DVDS were pretty much a failure. Just because a few hundred fanboys think everyone should read their TVs does not mean it's what normal people will do. If someone liscenesed Naruto and put it on TV subtitled (Hah, and this is a BIG If...No network would ever allow it)...It would be the largest failure ever.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 22:30   Link #18
KageSennin
Shadow Master

Send a message via AIM to KageSennin
I really don't see how they can dub this series without keeping all of the names the same. Doppleganger and i quote from Shonen Jump "Art of the Ninja Centerfold" just do not work at all. However, if they could get a good Japanglish going with the actors fluently speaking japanese techniques, that might work (things like "Suna no Yoroi" and "Sabaku Kyuu" would be translated but things like "KageBunshin" or...nevermind, i'm too lazy to finish my thought. A dubbed Naruto that sounds really good is impossible, and if they SOMEHOW pull it off then skin me and call me Sally, but if they do liscence it and dub it, then the age group for it will probably drop to 4-10 and it will be aired on WB or FOX, just look at Shaman King. That was really cool when I read it in Shonen Jump, but when I saw the anime in Jap and on Fox, it sucked the fattest part of my @$$! whatever company decides to dub Naruto should be Katon Ryuuka no Jutsued to the ground. grrr....
:fingers:

edit: not ALL dubs are bad *flashback to watching Gundam Wing, Trigun, and Dragonball Z* They turned out pretty good, without much cut-up and uhs and ers like Speed Racer lol.

Last edited by KageSennin; 2003-12-30 at 23:12.
KageSennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 22:31   Link #19
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Sasuke is correct. In the days of VHS, dubs actually outsold subs. Aside from that, if Naruto (or in fact ANY title) gets licensed and approved for network television, you can bet that it will be dubbed. Examples include Pokemon, CCS, Voltron, and Shaman King (I think).

American television is set up for passive consumption; many people will listen to the TV while reading the newspaper or eating dinner. A show that demands reading subtitles won't fly; too many people would change the channel.
Remember, we are NOT typical Americans (those of us from America). We choose to go online, spend time hunting down sources/ways to get anime from the internet, download huge files of unreleased material translated by fellow fans, and join forums dedicated to the discussion of such material. This is a pretty far cry from the passive viewer that network television aims for.

Part of the reason Cowboy Bebop had such a good dub was because the roles didn't call for such a dramatic range the way Naruto or especially GTO does. Characters who essentially remain the same are pretty easy to cast, while characters who turn from comical to serious in a second (Kenshin or Vash) need a voice actor who can rise to the occasion.

I can't believe people almost s*at a brick when they thought of Naruto being licensed; does ANYBODY honestly think that won't happen? I was shocked when HnG was licensed; I had eps 1-73 (of 75) and it seemed the two final eps wouldn't be avaliable for d/l until Viz got around to releasimg the end of the series. (Fortunately, the licensing turned out to be false, and I could snag the last 2 eps w/o much problems.) Naruto will inevitably be licensed, dubbed, and released with the jutsus translated into English (at least for the dubs). The only way to stop this? Write to whomever licenses the show and tell them to leave the names in Japanese. Not only that, tell them WHY they should. Please, don't write

u have to leave teh jap names cuz if u dont thn u all sux ballz

because it won't help your argument out any. In Ranma, they changed the names of the special arts into English, like the Rising Dragon Wave and the Breaking Point. Why should Naruto be any different? What's so special about the names that they deserve to be kept in their original format? (Personally, I believe they should be, but so far no one has put forth a compelling reason why they should leave the names in Japanese.)
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 23:26   Link #20
PraxRX7

Send a message via ICQ to PraxRX7
whoa whoa whoa back the @#$ up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha
See, this just reinforces the fact that most anime fans are fools who have no business second guessing companies or pretending to have the knowledge to make business decisions.

I never said it would be successful in any way shape or form, I know no one would watch it. Calling me a fool etc. doesn't accomplish anything except a show of immaturity. I am in full agreement with you that it would never sell.

I never made any claim that it would be aired and be successful [but there are a lot of anime viewers that prefer subtitles, I myself cannot stand dubs]...however no one has ever tried it with an anime series so you never really know...market data would suggest that most people in the age range to watch anime of this stature would not spend time "reading" a TV show. You don't have to try to make yourself look smarter by bashing me...

You know, its people like you runnin around flaming people like me that ruin a good board conversation. You are entitled to your opinions, but at least remain civil.

Your nickname on this board definitly reflects your attitude, looking down on others and assuming idiocity.

Besides, it seems to me that only a fanboy would know whether or not CCS DVD's were a failure or not

I come to this board to state my opinion, not to be ranted and raved to by people who seem to think they are better than someone else.

Besides with technology where it is today, and multiple language selections on TV broadcasts along with Closed Captioning, it shouldn't be to hard to do something like that in the first place...[aside from the extra capital investments].

Last edited by PraxRX7; 2003-12-30 at 23:39.
PraxRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote