AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 228 77.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 13.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 5.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.68%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-12, 14:31   Link #361
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee
Wow, that's a great find. And Yuki is definitely saying something too, if you filter out the background noise:

Spoiler:
I remember reading this from a forum else but I don't remember well...
It's actually saying:
"You like Kyon-kun, don't you? I know you do"
Note: Only accurate to 60% since I don't remember well.
Old 2006-06-12, 14:33   Link #362
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ That's for Ryoko's chant. Yuki's chant has yet to be deciphered.
Old 2006-06-12, 14:44   Link #363
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Oh noes! Careless me.
Old 2006-06-12, 23:27   Link #364
mangafanatic

Did anyone notice this frame?
Spoiler:
Can any one more proficient in Japanese do me the favor of translating it?
Old 2006-06-12, 23:30   Link #365
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
Did anyone notice this frame?
Spoiler:
Can any one more proficient in Japanese do me the favor of translating it?
Yea someone mentioned this previously and was explained.

In Japan couples place their names under an umbrella, apparently 2 students in this class are couples. Its just a random little detail for the reality of the show.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-14, 07:47   Link #366
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_eyes
How come Asakura has so much more emotion than Nagato even though they're both from the same origin? Even in episode 2 Asakura seems so much more human than Nagato, talking about how the class should be united and all.
I've been thinking about this and my theory is that human purpose interface created by the Data Integration Thought Entity (Yuki Nagato & Ryoko Asakura) take on personality interface to help them communicate with humans and assist in their given tasks to observe Haruhi.

Ryoko takes on a more sociable (or cheerful) personality interface to allow her to get close to Haruhi. Unsurprisingly, she is popular with her classmates but, as we know, Haruhi did not warm up to her. It's like a mask she can't take off, or perhaps the human purpose interfaces do not know how to react properly with changing emotions to differing circumstances.

In Episode 10: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV, we see that Ryoko is cheerful right to the end. She looks and sounds cheerful, even though her words seem to convey a sense of disappointment and regret at being defeated by Yuki.

Yuki knows she has an absence of universally accepted personality traits (as expressed in Episode 3: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II at 21:40). Perhaps she judged that a more "normal" personality interface like Ryoko's is not needed, since her original plan could be to observe Haruhi from a distance.

I haven't read the novel, so I'm just making some conjectures.
Old 2006-06-14, 23:08   Link #367
pemutation
Go Italy, Go!

No offence but, if you guys had noticed, in this episode, right after the intro song, there's a scene in the classroom. Then, this text "The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya IV" popped on the bottom right of the screen.

Im just a little curious, but does this mean that ep 10 was actually meant for ep 4?

Plus, I don't quite understand the relations between each episodes.
Eg: Ep1,2,3 connects. Ep 4 suddenly shows about baseball thingy, Ep 5 continues from where Ep3 ended.
Eg: Ep 8 conitnues from where Ep 6 ended, I don't know much what in the world is going on with Ep 7 though.

Can someone tell me what is going on in this anime?
Old 2006-06-14, 23:20   Link #368
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The anime is specially rearranged to maximise character and plot development.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu or Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in english, is only the title of the 1st of 8 novels which the anime orginally adapted from.

Firstly this 1st novel has 7 chapters namely Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu I - VII. These 7 chapters are compressed into 6 chapters for the anime. 6 out of 14 chapters of this anime is the actual 'Yuuutsu/Melancholy' storyline. The other episodes are taken from the 7 other novels to maximise the show's development, they are a sort of 'filler'.

Because if "The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya" can be shown in 6 episodes the show will 'end' in episode 7. The other episodes are placed in such a 'random' order to elongate the show.

I think its very hard for you understand, you should read the stickies and the episode speculation thread, entirely lol

Old 2006-06-14, 23:43   Link #369
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
The anime is specially rearranged to maximise character and plot development.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu or Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in english, is only the title of the 1st of 8 novels which the anime orginally adapted from.

Firstly this 1st novel has 7 chapters namely Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu I - VII. These 7 chapters are compressed into 6 chapters for the anime. 6 out of 14 chapters of this anime is the actual 'Yuuutsu/Melancholy' storyline. The other episodes are taken from the 7 other novels to maximise the show's development, they are a sort of 'filler'.

Because if "The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya" can be shown in 6 episodes the show will 'end' in episode 7. The other episodes are placed in such a 'random' order to elongate the show.

I think its very hard for you understand, you should read the stickies and the episode speculation thread, entirely lol
An interesting explansion of what you wrote, is that this hasn't been done before.

Usually, when a novel/manga was adopted into anime, the animation crew will physically edit, cut, and add scenes so the material given will conform to the number of episodes that are to be animated. This generally causes a lot of changes to be made and alter the plot in some form. We are generally used to this, and consider it a necessary evil to move a story into a new medium.

However, KyonAni thought otherwise; instead of altering the plot, they altered the airing order instead. This change means the fundamental plot from the novel didn't alter much at all, in exchange for upsetting a few people who are not comfortable with the episode jumps.

I personally believe it was worth it; others might not agree.
Old 2006-06-14, 23:48   Link #370
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes I believe it was definitely worth it, its a really interesting method of plot development/progressing. And it fit's the story's somewhat random and expected turns.

Old 2006-06-15, 00:51   Link #371
pemutation
Go Italy, Go!

OIC. Yeah Im not used to these "jump-episodes". But if it is really crucial to lengthen the story, then Im content with that.
Thanks for the info.
Old 2006-06-15, 01:02   Link #372
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

It's not crucial to lengthen the story, but I think it's a "creative" way of storytelling. Also this gives novel readers a bonus since they will grasp the concept a lot faster than non-novel readers. It's a double-edged sword really, but I personally liked the episode shuffling.
Old 2006-06-15, 01:20   Link #373
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
I've been thinking about this and my theory is that human purpose interface created by the Data Integration Thought Entity (Yuki Nagato & Ryoko Asakura) take on personality interface to help them communicate with humans and assist in their given tasks to observe Haruhi.

Ryoko takes on a more sociable (or cheerful) personality interface to allow her to get close to Haruhi. Unsurprisingly, she is popular with her classmates but, as we know, Haruhi did not warm up to her. It's like a mask she can't take off, or perhaps the human purpose interfaces do not know how to react properly with changing emotions to differing circumstances.

In Episode 10: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV, we see that Ryoko is cheerful right to the end. She looks and sounds cheerful, even though her words seem to convey a sense of disappointment and regret at being defeated by Yuki.

Yuki knows she has an absence of universally accepted personality traits (as expressed in Episode 3: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II at 21:40). Perhaps she judged that a more "normal" personality interface like Ryoko's is not needed, since her original plan could be to observe Haruhi from a distance.

I haven't read the novel, so I'm just making some conjectures.
I agree with that theory. Its like a robot programmed to be nice and cheerful. It doesn't understand those feelings, its just following the data inputed into it.

And she is Yuki's backup, so being not only undercover, but under-undercover, she would have to be given this personality so as to blend in very well with her social environment, so as to be in a un-noticed, discrete position to help Yuki if ever she or Haruhi were threatened. Which as you said, makes her not worthy of noticing by Haruhi, which may be what the DITE wants. But if so, it backfired, because the static-ness of her position made her jump the gun.

I found it interesting that there were differing factions of thought in the DITE, I had always thought of it as a single entity, of a single mind.
Old 2006-06-15, 13:04   Link #374
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
Try watching the first season of Ah! My Goddess! and see what Bell does when Sayoko tries to make a move on Keiichi!
That's not Bell per se. That's the "system force", a function of Yggdrasil which enforces and maintains a contract between a client and a goddess. If someone tries to get in between Bell and K1, the system force reacts, and it's reaction is proportionate to the degree of interference, or level of effort.
Old 2006-06-15, 13:43   Link #375
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Yamato
Alot of people want a desktop like the one shown here

Spoiler:

I have to say before I continue this was the best episode yet especially to see the full true beauty of Mikuru. Major props to Kyoto for the idea with the weapons that were actually desks. And especially when she rebuilt the entire room back to normal but forgot to remake her glasses . Anyway the picture shown up there is what quite alot of people want to see on their desktop. If anyone can get me a res of that shot from 1024x768+ I would be glad in vectoring the entire screenshot for all of you to enjoy. Though it would take backbreaking efforts and I might do mistakes but if you want me to do it PM me with the screenshot and I will do it ASAP, I want to have you guy's happy to see something that sweet turned into a vector.

-Jason-
What's a vector, in this context?
Old 2006-06-18, 20:58   Link #376
Green²
It's bacon!

I was kind of hoping that Kyon would really die. ...But by Nagato's hand at the end. Stabbed in the eye too. Where Kyon would be like, Why!?! And Nagato would then say that it was for the valuable data.

Though,.. it probably wouldn't turn out right for Nagato in the end anyway. Even if Nagato recreates the space & data back to the norm, the end data expectation just wouldn't be there when Haruhi walks in. ...Being that Haruhi would just keep kicking Kyon's corpse all while wondering where in the hell her new air conditioner is at.

But I still liked how this episode turned out.

Hey, this is KyoAni we're talking about here. It could happen.
Old 2006-06-26, 07:20   Link #377
Gene Yuss
I Cheat at Solitare

I know it's a bit late and a bad spot for a first post, but I must point out that Yuki's "gibberish" is actually SQL statements.

SQL is used to create, modify, and retrieve data from databases. Essentially, she's pulling her attacks from a database somewhere.
Old 2006-06-26, 09:42   Link #378
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

It is? Could you care to write those down?
Old 2006-06-26, 12:03   Link #379
Gene Yuss
I Cheat at Solitare

I'll do better than writing those down. I found a soundfile of Yuki's chanting, reversed and slowed down like Asakura's:
http://djbouche.net/yuki_rev_10.ogg

English approximation:
SELECT serial_code
FROM database
WHERE code='data'
ORDER BY aggressive_combat_data
HAVING terminate_mode

Or, at least, that's what it says in the novel, and since some of it is in English (The Caps'd bits) (You can clearly hear "SELECT" at the beginning of her reversed chant) I can assume it's probably something along those lines.

Last edited by Gene Yuss; 2006-06-26 at 12:15.
Old 2006-06-26, 12:07   Link #380
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss
I'll do better than writing those down. I found a soundfile of Yuki's chanting, reversed and slowed down like Asakura's:
http://djbouche.net/yuki_rev_10.ogg

English approximation:
SELECT serial_code
FROM database
WHERE code='data'
ORDER BY aggressive_combat_data
HAVING terminate_mode
lol in the previous pages, people were saying that kyoani didn't include Yuki's chants.

But no, kyoani did include, they just sped up the chant and reversed it lol

Those lines were exactly the same as what Yuki said in the novel.

Closed Thread