AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-01-27, 21:14   Link #41
Kamui-
F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I used to be a huge Tenchi fan, but the series is dated now. This 3rd ova doesn't help matters much. Still it isn't bad, so I will continue to download it, but I can't help think it could have been a lot better if not for the huge gap between this and the end of the 2nd ova. Also it seems to be moving rather slowly for only 6 episodes.

hmm...Seems that there's another Kamui. Does that make me a dragon of heaven or a dragon of earth?
Your are dead to mee geminiiiii
Kamui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 22:50   Link #42
marcoso

Send a message via ICQ to marcoso
hmm.. so many surprises. i can't wait for the next episodes

Nobuyuki sure is 100+ years old, it's just obvious, and yes, he's a descendent of yosho (yosho is his grand-grandpa, i think) . i assume that the demon princess (Seto) also arranged his marriege with kiyone.

family tree from www.tenchizone.com

Kamui, the ovas aren't action based (im not saying that theres no action). light hawk wings are cool and all but tenchi isnt only action. we'll see fights, theres the 3-godess thing with zett-tokimi, washu-ryoko and tsunami-tenchi, so just wait
come on, only 2 ep. released and you people say that the series arent good anymore? there's a lot of things to be cleared.

i guess now we have a more exciting battle for tenchi's love, hopefully tenchi will CHOOSE one of them in this ova and i'm a ryoko fan . big trouble for him again.

..a special episode would be nice too, like ep. 7, with no introductions, just a "normal" day in tenchi's life

oh... and i agree with the art being poor... it's unfamiliar and i don't like it (ugly). ova1 was the best

Last edited by marcoso; 2004-01-27 at 23:03.
marcoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 10:19   Link #43
goldenthal

I am a newcomer to this Tenchi Anime and this OVA is the first I had seen.
Does anyone know what is the correct Tenchi anime sequence that one should watch in order to understand?

Thanks for any help!
goldenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 11:37   Link #44
marcoso

Send a message via ICQ to marcoso
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenthal
I am a newcomer to this Tenchi Anime and this OVA is the first I had seen.
Does anyone know what is the correct Tenchi anime sequence that one should watch in order to understand?

Thanks for any help!
OVA 1
OVA 2
Tenchi muyo GXP (chronologically it happens 1 year after OVA3 ends)

though this series are licensed you can get it on DVD/VHS

there's some TV series but it has nothing to do with the ovas. anyway, they are:
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
Magical Project S
Pretty Sammy OVA
marcoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 12:38   Link #45
hanyou_gez
Deliriously Purple

Send a message via AIM to hanyou_gez
I'm a pretty big Tenchi Muyo fan. Have been ever since I watched it, all those years ago.

The correct order to watch Tenchi Muyo is a little different than the above poster's. @_@

Tenchi Muyo OVA 1 and 2, first.
Pretty Sammy OVA was a spin off OVA from the special episode 14 from Tenchi Muyo OVA2.
Then Pretty Sammy TV Series spun off from the OVA of it, and came either before or after, Tenchi Universe.
Then Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Muyo GXP and then the new Tenchi Muyo OVA3.

There is also the three movies. Only Tenchi in Love is set in the Tenchi Universe series. The other two movies are connected the OVA. (Daughter of Darkness and Tenchi Forever. Although, the art for Tenchi Forever is very much like the art in Tenchi in Tokyo, but no matter. The movie had a more serious theme than the others, which made up for it. ^-^)

Anywho. I was wondered about OVA3 before it was released. I know that the OVA series was continued with the manga, and that even Kiyone, Mihoshi's partner came into at one point. (reason why she is in Daughter of Darkness)

I would love to read the manga, as I'm sure it explains a heck of a lot. But I wonder if the 3rd OVA stems from that also...

If people would remember, the actual Kagato fight only spanned 2 OVA episodes. The rest was character development.
I also favor the first OVA art, it was truly beautiful. But art of a series doesn't count towards absolutely everything, if the story develops well enough. I can only hope things will be explained through out the OVA.

I've always liked the mystery of Tenchi Muyo OVA, and I perfer the histories of the characters, as opposed to Tenchi in Tokyo and Tenchi Universe. It gives it more spice, a more interesting story.
The age gaps makes sense also. I think Tenchi's father and mother had Tennyo way, way, before Tenchi was born. It makes sense that she would leave earth, as people around her aged and she did not, like it mentioned in episode 2.

*stops the rambling*

I'll keep watching the OVA3 though. ^-~
hanyou_gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 00:46   Link #46
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
But if you just want to watch the main storyline without any sort of confusion, and not getting too entwined into the spinoffs, just watch the OVAs in order. 1, 2, then optionally you could watch GXP since even though it happens after OVA3, it was aired in Japan before OVA3 was even being worked on. Anyway, after all that, watch OVA3.

Anything else is optional since it wasn't written by Masaki Kajishima, thus has no part in his OVA continuity. (Not to say that Hasegawa's Tenchi continuity isn't good.. it is. It's just that Kajishima's is considered the "main" continuity, and it's the continuity of OVA3. But let's not confuse new fans.. let them decide whether they want to delve into/memorize all the spinoff/continuity crap :P )
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 16:53   Link #47
Hi_There

I agree with Kumai that the Oavs have been going down after Oav ep 6.
Probable reason IMO is that Hasegawa wasn't the script writer after ep 6.

Kajishima created the story/characters, but Hasegawa excecuted those factors most excellently.

2nd OAV ep7-13 were pretty good due to the atmosphere-music, comedy etc etc. Not as good as the first OAV though IMO, but very good.

3rd Oav(so far) just feels stale. The events in the first episode IMO could have been handled better and could've had a better 'flow'. Atmosphere was lacking-due to less than 'good' BGM. There also really was no sense of 'wonder' that the episodes left for me.

Ep 15 was too compact with plot facts and characters, it was choking me.

I'm a Tenchi fan, and for this reason I'm going to continue watching it 'till the end, but honestly, if I was a new to it, Oav3 ep 2 would probably put me off until the full thing came out.

The animation though clean cut really put me off. The colour palate seems dull unlike the beautiful, vibrant water colours in the first 2 OAVs. The character's 'morphing' in and out of monster mode is very annoying and makes me cringe.

Unless they do some major adjustments for the later episodes, I'm sorry to say but things look bleak, especially concerning more than noticeable factors: Event execution, atmosphere, music, animation execution, sheer entertainment value.

Well, that's my oppinion

On a side note.
GXP bored the hell out of me, and it had such a horrible finale.

I read all these praises to Kajishima... I respect him, but praises? I don't think so
Hi_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 02:56   Link #48
trademark
Likes to go to buffets

I've been a tenchi fan and have been an anime fan since. It's a great series and the OVA seems to be enjoyable as well.

One thing I don't "like" or should say ..um...well anyways. I have almost no understanding of this tenchi history or whatever. I only understand what the current thing is like the 3 goddesses or something and jurai or whatever. I'm not even quite sure. I'm not really clear on the character history or the family tree history. In a lot of messages, people mention GXP? Is that linked to tenchi muyo? Oh yeah, Tennyo is 80 years old...but nobuyuki, her father, doesn't seem like he's even 80 and he's mostly an earthling looking at the familiy tree. ???. yeah. So why is tenchi so important too? and the whole light hawk wing dealio from the first part...really wasn't explained. I didn't understand the Kagato thing either and what he was talking about sometime and then when I look at the family tree, he's a clone. I thought washuu tutored him or something and he's only a clone? And I've never heard of most of the characters in the family tree. Are they in a manga or something of tenchi muyo? So does the manga already cover Tenchi season 3? AHHH!!!!????!!!?? SO CONFUSING!!!

Well, those are just a small peek of all the questions I have. I don't expect somebody to answer them all...I just hope...and for them to answer more..heheh. It'd be REALLY NICE though if someone made an ULTIMATE TENCHI MUYO PAGE. That explains all this stuff and all the stuff. In English too, because unfortunately, I can't read Japanese. Yeah, long message. I have the Box Set for the first two seasons of Tenchi Muyo. I didn't even really understand everything in that....

p.s. Kagato died all wierd. You can cut off his hand his legs and they "grow" back or something? He has a shadow that can be "killed"? What the? Same with Ryoko? Cuz of the mass or something? What? Does Tenchi have a special tree to keep him from aging...? is that what keeps people from aging?

OK, I'm going to shut up. Peace. ^^ Tenchi fan.
trademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 03:28   Link #49
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark
Are they in a manga or something of tenchi muyo? So does the manga already cover Tenchi season 3? AHHH!!!!????!!!?? SO CONFUSING!!!
The manga is a sort of semi-official continuation of the OVA. It has a lot of new characters, and concentrates more on the comedy aspect of Tenchi. However it does not address any of the events of the 3rd ova, which I think happens before the manga. (but I'm not sure about that)
Old 2004-01-30, 03:31   Link #50
Hi_There

See, some crazy stuff. It's really unfortunate when a show drives one of it's fans into the confusion state and rummage through the internet for more info.

Well, I can't say I know a Tenchi place but I'll try to answer some questions.

Someone mentioned that the creator said Noboyuki is around 200 yrs old.

Kagato is the clone of Washu's best friend Naja who was considered Washu's equal, that's why Kagato's so smart.

Gxp is a story about a boy that joins the GXP and gets his own Harem, some of which are related to Tenchi. It's supposed to take place a year after OAV3. Same universe, different show.
Hi_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 05:00   Link #51
Ash Masaki

Whoa back up a bit there!

Well this episode was pretty interesting O.o It certainly enjoyed to drop one bomb after another on me in rapid succession lol.

I've been a Tenchi fan for a long time and I've never really lost my love of the series. Im rather happy with this 3rd OVA so far. Unlike a lot of people here, I like the new art and animation. The morphing thing is kind of odd but at least it's not overused. The new developments that have arisen are pretty interesting as well.

This 2nd episode raises many, many new questions. It almost seems like they tried to fit in as much as they could into one episode. I cant recall the last time I watched a show, anime or otherwise that revealed so much in just one episode O.o;

Cant wait for Ep3!
Ash Masaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 02:55   Link #52
trademark
Likes to go to buffets

So is the history dating back to the first king of jurai and stuff from the manga? Isn't there more than one kind of tenchi mangas like their are animes?

I still don't quite understand this aging thing, or the family tree, and science of this universe. I've never even heard of another super power other than Jurai.

Where can I get this stuff?
trademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 05:52   Link #53
Kamui-
F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_There
I agree with Kumai that the Oavs have been going down after Oav ep 6.
Probable reason IMO is that Hasegawa wasn't the script writer after ep 6.

Kajishima created the story/characters, but Hasegawa excecuted those factors most excellently.
Oh, I didn't know about that but the feel from ep 1-6 was gone right after. It became dull and borish after that moment so I should've looked up for the script/screen writer. It all makes sense to me now since I didn't understand why the hype never showed up again.
Kamui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 20:03   Link #54
Kao
Anime Fiend

Send a message via AIM to Kao Send a message via Yahoo to Kao
I love the world of Tenchi Muyo and I believe I know almost everything you can learn from the first two OVAs. All this talk about what is going on within the OVAs is driving me nuts! I need to know the full story!

Can anyone throw me a life line? Is there a way to get those True Tenchi Muyo novels to find out what is going on? I plan to watch the 3rd OVA when they are all released, but what about the stuff outside of that? Help please.

Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 16:38   Link #55
Sandoman
Grand Anime Freak

Thumbs up

Words can't describe how happy I am that
at least a bit of the Tenchi story is still being
made. I've seen everything Tenchi, right up
to GXP. Now this new series is helping to
sate my appetite for a story I thought might
be completely finished. I just wish they'd come
out with a series starring my favorite character,
the great Professor Washu.
Sandoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 21:35   Link #56
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Crimson
The animation team needs to do a better job because all the characters look like they have bags under their eyes. So far this new series really hasn't impressed me much, its nothing compared to the first 2 OVA's. Also the characters seems to be acting weird. Ryoko's personality seems alot different from previous tenchi series.

I heard its going to be 6 eps, and yet in the first 2 eps nothing much has happened. So now i'm wondering if their will be a 4th ova after this one.

I believe the director of the series said Tenchi will choose his girl in this one, and it will be one of the 5 girls. So i hope they don't make him hook up with some new girl or something because i think all fans will be uber pissed.

I really just want to see who he chooses, and i hope to god its Ryoko ^^.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 02:50   Link #57
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson
The animation team needs to do a better job because all the characters look like they have bags under their eyes.
That's not the animation crew, that's the character designer.

Quote:
I heard its going to be 6 eps, and yet in the first 2 eps nothing much has happened. So now i'm wondering if their will be a 4th ova after this one.
Episode 3 is really gonna pick up. Check out tenchi-web.com for a 3rd ep trailer.
Also, just remember OVA1. Kagato didn't show up, really, until episode 5 out of 6. (Not counting his brief appearance at the end of episode 4)

Quote:
I believe the director of the series said Tenchi will choose his girl in this one, and it will be one of the 5 girls.
That's false.
Kajishima has already stated that there won't be much romantic element in the 3rd series. If a 4th series is made, that's when more romantic elements will happen.
Old 2004-03-30, 15:45   Link #58
hanyou_gez
Deliriously Purple

Send a message via AIM to hanyou_gez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylisk
Episode 3 is really gonna pick up. Check out tenchi-web.com for a 3rd ep trailer.
Also, just remember OVA1. Kagato didn't show up, really, until episode 5 out of 6. (Not counting his brief appearance at the end of episode 4)
This is what I also believe will happen. I have a rough idea of how they are taking the 3rd OVA. They might be introducing alot of new factors and ideas in the first 2 episodes, but it also counts as character and plot development. Hopefully, it will start to be smoothed out with the next episode, and things will start making more sense. ^-^;

I think it is essential that people watched the GXP series. I admit I have not watched all the series myself, but I did watch up to the part where the Original Tenchi Muyo characters were introduced in one episode. Alot of the new character and plot development in the 3rd OVA is related to GXP.
I think alot of the confusion wouldn't be around if people knew the connections between GXP and the OVA series.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylisk
That's false.
Kajishima has already stated that there won't be much romantic element in the 3rd series. If a 4th series is made, that's when more romantic elements will happen.
What Garylist says is true. I believe Kajishima stated that the 3rd OVA was to be about the three Goddess's. It was merely a rumour that maybe this OVA was the one where Tenchi finally picked a girl...
Also, Kajishima made it quite clear that he isn't anywhere near to the end of the Tenchi story. So I am expecting a 4th OVA at some point. hehe.

I don't post around animesuki's forum much by the way, but certain topics make me want to post. ^-^;;
hanyou_gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 17:25   Link #59
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Well, the episode 3 trailer was kind of a tease, since a lot of what happens in the trailer is later in the episode, almost near the end.

The focus of this episode is...

Spoiler:

Expect FoT's fansub of the episode sometime in the next week or two.. then you all will be able to check the episode out yourselves.

...Well, unless playing Twin Snakes interferes with my translation.... - Kidding, Kidding!
Old 2004-04-04, 12:33   Link #60
Freddy C
Invincible

Send a message via MSN to Freddy C
tenchi OAV 3 is where its all happening, apparently tenchi has to finally make a decision between ayeka and ryoko, it's tough but id go for ryoko, she more fun and i think she genueinly loves tenchi more.
Freddy C is offline   Reply With Quote