AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 52.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-13, 15:21   Link #161
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
shipping is basically rooting for a couple
I fail to see what, if anything is negative about this.
Old 2009-01-13, 15:33   Link #162
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Ronin View Post
I fail to see what, if anything is negative about this.
The problem is not people rooting for one couple, it's when people who root for one couple clash with people who root for another couple. TvTropes has a couple of good (and hilarious) pages about it; Shipping and Ship to Ship Combat.

Basically, some people are crazy.
Old 2009-01-13, 15:54   Link #163
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

By the way, I could sort of understand when it happened in the episode 13 thread, given the holiday period, the break on the series' airing, etc.etc.

But how comes that even this week the thread has gone so horribly off topic? From page 6 onwards, it can be said that other than a few selected posts, there's nothing which can relate to Toradora, even less to "Toradora episode 14" - the subject of this thread.

In the previous episode threads (apart ep.13 which I considered an exception) we managed to keep the discussion somehow related to the actual subject. So why has it become so?

Sorry but this isn't acceptable. First of all it is a lack of respect for your fellow Toradora watchers who would like to discuss the episode but are not allowed to do so, since they come here and find a wall of unrelated text. Second this isn't a shout box nor a chat room, hence if you want to discuss such completely unrelated matters please bring them on pms, meet yourselves on irc or msn, or simply just head elsewhere. Not here, is all that I'm asking, and I don't think I'm being demanding.

Please note that I've simple mentioned two of the points stated in the threads' guidelines, first post of each episode discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Guidelines

Thread Guidelines
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
For this week I'm going to let it slide, especially since tomorrow episode 15 will air. But please keep this in mind for next time. I will cut down any sign of wild off-topic noises in the future episode threads.
Old 2009-01-13, 16:18   Link #164
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
With what we've seen in this current episode, I don't see how either of the three female characters has any lead over the others. until Ryuuji realizes that he is loved, he cannot return it.
Old 2009-01-13, 17:24   Link #165
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Hey all, I'm new to this forum but am happy to see the shipping on this show isn't as nasty as other places on Animesuki. Its really tiring and largely juvenile behavior.

Eps 14 was a really nice forward movement because its opening a lot of new things. Ami seems to be getting more serious and Ryuuji is expanding his "care for his friends" to a larger circle than just Taiga's reliance on him. Minori is opening up more and not JUST being odd. The "somethings going on between the Prez and Kitamura" line has gotten more interesting. Its amusing because even though the show has been doing small setups for quite a few weeks, the post Cultural Fair situations seem to be jelling the cross relationship entanglements more than ever. He likes her, but she likes him and they both subconsciously like each other, etc. The show is really hitting its stride now.

On the generalizations of one culture vs. another, its my understanding that this genre of Japanese anime isn't even designed for the large populace and its attitudes. More, it is directed at the peccadillos of the subset of the Japanese populace that 1. watches this genre. 2. Buys the products that sponsor this genre. 3. Buy the spinoff and related merchandise that comes directly from the novels/manga/anime of this type of show.

That is a VERY NARROW subset of a culture and the likes and habits of ANY subset of a culture will be skewed on the overall curve. So, even if the general population of Japan were more enlightened and had more liberal, modern attitudes about women's roles for instance, the majority of the males who would follow this anime may have very different attitudes as a group. Consequently, trying to make blanket comments about any culture based on the apparent popularity of an anime character is already a false foundation to begin with. All you MIGHT say is that between "otaku" in Japan vs. "otaku" in the USA for instance, it COULD SEEM like the Japanese viewers prefer the more reliant/submissive/loli/tsundere characters rather than the more self assurred/Barbie bodied/striaghtforward characters supported by more US viewers.

I'm not drawing any conclusions myself, because CURRENTLY I like Minori for Ryuuji no matter how much tension exists between he and Taiga. The discussion in the kitchen and on the beach at the Villa between them really held pearls of a potential relationship between them, whereas the relationship between Taiga and Ryuuji still feels more familial to me.

This is a great series with really likable characters all across the board and a good blend of humor with serious underpinnings. High School relationships rarely end up being the last ones any individual ever has, so to me this is all quite appropriate.
Old 2009-01-13, 17:41   Link #166
Baka Ronin

I Think Prez sees Kitamura more as an underling, as the boss of a gang or a police captain might view their underlings. but that's just my two cents. in this episode and those before it I have seen nothing to indicate otherwise. If you have proof from this ep, show it.

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2009-01-13 at 17:41. Reason: typoes
Old 2009-01-13, 22:02   Link #167
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Wanderer View Post
I Think Prez sees Kitamura more as an underling, as the boss of a gang or a police captain might view their underlings. but that's just my two cents. in this episode and those before it I have seen nothing to indicate otherwise. If you have proof from this ep, show it.
The look on Sumire's face in this ep and previous ep in regards to Kitamura's excellent student council plans says otherwise. Personally, I think she thinks Kitamura still has a thing for Taiga, and probably even feels that he's using her(Sumire) as a "rebound" or fill-in.

And not that it's important, but I guess Kihara is really into Kitamura. Is it just because he looks like Maruo? Thinking about the few times they've interacted, it reminds me of Ami and Ryuuji's early days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but am happy to see the shipping on this show isn't as nasty as other places on Animesuki. Its really tiring and largely juvenile behavior.

I'm not drawing any conclusions myself, because CURRENTLY I like Minori for Ryuuji no matter how much tension exists between he and Taiga. The discussion in the kitchen and on the beach at the Villa between them really held pearls of a potential relationship between them, whereas the relationship between Taiga and Ryuuji still feels more familial to me.
You're a little late, I recall the shipping "getting out of hand" and temp shutting down a thread.

As for Minorin, I'm still waiting for the moment that Ryuuji truly gets to know about her. That moment hasn't come up yet, though I have a feeling it'll be near the end of the series run before anything like that happens. I don't think even Taiga truly KNOWS knows about her(Taiga didn't know that Minorin actually liked scary movies. Taiga probably doesn't even know the "real" Minorin.) For what reason does she have to keep her personal life to herself?

Last edited by frubam; 2009-01-13 at 22:18.
Old 2009-01-13, 22:03   Link #168
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
It's really hard to say...Kitamura's reaction is really open to a lot of discussion...he could either be REALLY shocked that she actually DOES like him back (but he also likes Taiga) or he's shocked she doesn't like him at all? anyway the first one makes a bit more sense, if a girl turned me down when i already liked another girl (and she likes me back), i wouldn't be THAT Shocked, so if anything, i'd think it'd be the first case (she expresses her love :O).

Anyway, he definitely does have feelings for her, and is a bit more "shy"?/gets red a lot around her.

that's my take on it...
Old 2009-01-14, 03:14   Link #169
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
It's really hard to say...Kitamura's reaction is really open to a lot of discussion...he could either be REALLY shocked that she actually DOES like him back (but he also likes Taiga) or he's shocked she doesn't like him at all? anyway the first one makes a bit more sense, if a girl turned me down when i already liked another girl (and she likes me back), i wouldn't be THAT Shocked, so if anything, i'd think it'd be the first case (she expresses her love :O).

Anyway, he definitely does have feelings for her, and is a bit more "shy"?/gets red a lot around her.

that's my take on it...
Well, I wasn't feeling as either way or definitive as this, but it pretty much covers the range of what I got from the scene with Kitamura and the Prez in the classroom. SOMETHING is going on. What, is only conjecture at this point, but it makes the show that much more interesting.

And I'm happy to hear that I missed whatever storm front of shipping occurred here previously. It is really tiring discussing anime shows with people who are dogmatic about it. Its just entertainment. It should remain fun.
Old 2009-01-14, 03:27   Link #170
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

woof woof... that's my other dog-matic imitation.

Okay that was awful, but using only the anime as reference -- they're leaving it highly ambiguous concerning the Sumire+Kitamura thread. I rather like that than having it all spelled out.

I suspect that this and the following few eps are the most I'm going to get to see of Sumire so I plan on enjoying what screen time she gets.
Old 2009-01-14, 11:23   Link #171
Baka Ronin

frubam, please do not translate my chosen moniker, it could be seen as insulting.

I likely will not see the next episode until the fansub tomorrow or Friday because of income issues (broke atm and crunchyroll charges to see it unless I wait until next week) so I will continue to discuss this one. Kitamura seemed to me to be hiding sadness, or at least trying very hard to. I am a bit amazed that Taiga did not pick up on it. Is she really that dense?
Old 2009-01-14, 11:54   Link #172
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
...I am a bit amazed that Taiga did not pick up on it. Is she really that dense?
I felt it was obvious that she did pick up on it, which was why she offered for Kitamura to "touch her like he'd never done before". Pretty funny way to cap the scene which started with pretty heavy air. One of the more poignant scenes of the series IMHO.
Old 2009-01-14, 12:03   Link #173
wistfulloner

Quote:
I am a bit amazed that Taiga did not pick up on it. Is she really that dense?
Don't you know that the moment Taiga sees Kitamura face to face, her brain cells basically start a party outside her head?
Old 2009-01-14, 13:22   Link #174
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
frubam, please do not translate my chosen moniker, it could be seen as insulting.

Kitamura seemed to me to be hiding sadness, or at least trying very hard to. I am a bit amazed that Taiga did not pick up on it. Is she really that dense?
Oh, sorry if I offended you , It's a waste of time, but i think slight changing in names is cute. I do see how that can be insulting, so I'll think of something else.

And I thought she did ask if something was wrong, though I wouldn't think she'd understand others feelings too well w/o direct communication(i.e. saying exactly that something is wrong) anyways. Then again, I don't think the story up til now gave her a chance to show any empathy towards someone else, so perhaps my assumption is a bit much on the first impression.
Old 2009-01-14, 14:16   Link #175
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
the problem that she's really dense when it comes to kitamura

but i think she thought that something is wrong with kitamura other than falling to other girl

but even the episode didn't show us how or what kitamura asked the question
Old 2009-01-15, 11:02   Link #176
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Wonderful. Sumire really needs more screen time. She's kinda like Ami in that the stuff she says carries the most meaning.
Closed Thread