Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-20, 09:43   Link #21
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
With a HD display, yes. It's very easy to notice the difference. I have a 32" 720p TV and a 24" (1920x1200) monitor, and watching SD stuff on either is very noticeably different to HD video.
Umm, you DO know that SD looks horrible in a HDTV, right? The same SD signal on a smaller, 480i TV looks perfectly fine.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 10:19   Link #22
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Umm, you DO know that SD looks horrible in a HDTV, right? The same SD signal on a smaller, 480i TV looks perfectly fine.
Right. That's kind of the point. Considering almost every TV on the market these days is HD (at least 720), SD is going the way of the dodo. It all has to do with signal resolution compared to the panel resolution. Though scaling methods used by the displays (or decoder boxes etc) do play a part in it, it is a minor one.

The simple fact of the matter is, HD is superior. The fact this format war is over is good, because it means HD media (blu-ray) and players can finally start going in to mass production, which will lower prices and increase availability. With the technology out there, hopefully we won't be seeing anything in SD by 2010 or so.

I know in this country at least, all TV networks are now broadcasting in HD (some of it true, some of it upscaled) on their digital channels, and the analogue channels are going to be shut down in the near future. As time goes by, upscales will be replaced by all true HD stuff, and everybody will be happy.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 10:33   Link #23
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Considering almost every TV on the market these days is HD (at least 720), SD is going the way of the dodo.
How about some market reasoning? SD is not going the way of the dodo because it's bad, it's going down because HD is being pushed. It's being immensely hyped up, and many people can't notice the difference between SD in a 480i TV set and HD in a 720p TV set. That's what I'm talking about. I can't deny the fact that it's more resolution and it has to look better, but the point is, it's not easy to notice the difference in quality, unless your whole point is to have a bigger screen.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 11:13   Link #24
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I think it's safe to say that the PS3 sales will skyrocket after this. I might even get one, if I can.
Old 2008-02-20, 18:08   Link #25
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Love or hate em, you gotta hand it to Sony. With a very small library of quality games over the past year and a half PS3 owners looked towards Blu ray movies to get some use out of their system. If Sony hadn't implemented Blu ray into the PS3's their is no way things would have turned out like this, since stand alone players are still to expensive.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 18:16   Link #26
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
well the biggest reason I like Blu-ray is the most obvious one. CAPACITY.
if i had a blu-ray burner, that could burn quad layer disks with 25gb per layer (which will come out eventually) the archival capabilities would be immence. Blu-ray already has a special hard coating that makes them virtually indestructable, so i could back up hundereds upon hundereds of GB worth of data safely. the whole HD part is awesome, and I'm REALLY glad Blu-ray kicked HD-DVD's ass, but i love the capacity more.
I remember the FIRST TIME I saw a HD Plasma screen playing some national geographic videos in circuit city when they were still in the $7000+ range and being absolutely blown away by how realistic it looked. this was what....5 maybe 6 years ago?
it doesn't matter who you are, if you play the same movie between a normal TV set and an HD set, the HD set will blow your mind away.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 18:29   Link #27
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Any guesses on how long it will be before Blu-rays (in general) reach DVD/HD-DVD prices?
I think PS3 prices won't skyrocket too much, I don't really expect many people to be so desperate to watch a few materials in better quality for the cost... Unless you really think you're investing in it of course .

But now because of this, PS3 prices won't drop for a while... and Blu-rays will stay higher priced for a longer time... Sigh... It's not worth it for me yet.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 18:43   Link #28
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
HD-DVD Blue-Ray was better too. Stupid corrupt system.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-02-20 at 19:09.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 18:45   Link #29
Nenkitsune

lol you mean blu-ray IS better. since blu-ray murdered hd-dvd.

もいちど。。。
Old 2008-02-20, 18:53   Link #30
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
i hold my thoughts here.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-02-20 at 19:08.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 20:51   Link #31
Demoss
baka
*Fansubber

I think HD-DVD would of had more of a chance if it was built in to the Xbox 360 from the start, but oh well, i dont really care. Either way Blu-ray is not worth it yet in my eyes till they bring out burners that can do at least 16x burning speed, i mean 2x was horrible for dvd burners, imagine the waiting time burning a Blu-ray disk

And yeah i was only ever interested in the capacity of Blu-ray, with films it took me ages to switch from VHS to DVD, so i think it'll be the same here.
Demoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 22:41   Link #32
Nenkitsune

i'm still gonna be happy once some 8x-16x BD burners come out. I won't have to buy hard drives haha. Actually, a case of BD disks would be more convenient than having to carry around an external hard drive. if they do manage to successfully produce 4 layer BD-R's you could carry just a couple around and never worry about space. you could store tons of movies, songs, shows, whatever you like on it. and if BD-RW becomes more commonplace, i wouldn't even bother with external hard drives.

and as far as the switch to VHS to DVD, it was pretty quick for me. As soon as I got a PS2, using the VCR became somewhat of a hassle.
but switching from CD-R to DVD-R still hasn't quite happened. I still have just a dvd-rom drive, and a 48x cd-rw burner.
I think it'll be the same way with the switch to blu-ray. I'll hopefully have a system strong enough to run HD movies at 1080p, but I won't have the money for a blu-ray drive. (spending 1k on a amd quad system)

もいちど。。。
Old 2008-02-21, 04:25   Link #33
Blaat

I'm not looking forward to replacing all my DVDs to a new format.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 04:32   Link #34
Nenkitsune

you won't have to replace your dvds. you can always keep them. the great thing is Blu-ray players can play DVD's. it just means instead of buying nothing but DVD's, you'll eventually just buy blu-ray disks.

もいちど。。。
Old 2008-02-21, 04:33   Link #35
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm not looking forward to replacing all my DVDs to a new format.
DVDs won't disappear any time soon... It's not like something like CD has even disappeared yet, so it's still a long way off. It's only getting less popular when the majority of the people start to use them.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 06:03   Link #36
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoss View Post
Either way Blu-ray is not worth it yet in my eyes till they bring out burners that can do at least 16x burning speed, i mean 2x was horrible for dvd burners, imagine the waiting time burning a Blu-ray disk
Remember that 1x for DVD is not the same as 1x for CD and 1x for Blu-ray. They all take about the same amount of time to complete.

Note from wikipedia:
Quote:
The theoretical maximum for Blu-ray Discs is about 12x, as the speed of rotation (10,000 rpm) causes too much wobble for the discs to be read properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
i'm still gonna be happy once some 8x-16x BD burners come out. I won't have to buy hard drives haha. Actually, a case of BD disks would be more convenient than having to carry around an external hard drive.
By the time this happens, harddrive prices will be so low that this won't be true anymore. In terms of space, I can fit a 2.5" HD+enclosure (no external power adapter needed) in my pants pocket already and it will have more space than a box of any disc media.

Quote:
if they do manage to successfully produce 4 layer BD-R's you could carry just a couple around and never worry about space. you could store tons of movies, songs, shows, whatever you like on it. and if BD-RW becomes more commonplace, i wouldn't even bother with external hard drives.
This would be only if BR-RE implementations are better than their DVD-RW and CD-RW counterparts. CD-RW was basically a waste of time and money due to all its problems. If BD-R has the same problems as DVD*R and CD-R when it comes to multiple burning sessions, it is going to be useless unless you are burning a full disc. (And you are going to have multi-session far more frequently since you will rarely burn off 25GB at once).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 22:18   Link #37
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Remember that 1x for DVD is not the same as 1x for CD and 1x for Blu-ray. They all take about the same amount of time to complete.

Note from wikipedia:

By the time this happens, harddrive prices will be so low that this won't be true anymore. In terms of space, I can fit a 2.5" HD+enclosure (no external power adapter needed) in my pants pocket already and it will have more space than a box of any disc media.

This would be only if BR-RE implementations are better than their DVD-RW and CD-RW counterparts. CD-RW was basically a waste of time and money due to all its problems. If BD-R has the same problems as DVD*R and CD-R when it comes to multiple burning sessions, it is going to be useless unless you are burning a full disc. (And you are going to have multi-session far more frequently since you will rarely burn off 25GB at once).
/Agrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune
i'm still gonna be happy once some 8x-16x BD burners come out. I won't have to buy hard drives haha. Actually, a case of BD disks would be more convenient than having to carry around an external hard drive. if they do manage to successfully produce 4 layer BD-R's you could carry just a couple around and never worry about space. you could store tons of movies, songs, shows, whatever you like on it. and if BD-RW becomes more commonplace, i wouldn't even bother with external hard drives.
If you're ever planning to open those files, you'll need a computer anyway. Considering that you're planning to mass hoard stuff in your BDs, just get a laptop .

Quote:
you won't have to replace your dvds. you can always keep them. the great thing is Blu-ray players can play DVD's. it just means instead of buying nothing but DVD's, you'll eventually just buy blu-ray disks.
Blu-ray Players can play DVDs, but DVD players can't play Blu-Ray . I don't think it's really worth it at this point (the standalone player, the Blu-Ray drive, or the PS3 unless you really want to watch high quality movies and play lots of PS3 games ). Well, maybe it is worth it after all . The point is though, it's still too expensive like it just came in the market or something. I think it's just because DVD lost the format war, Blu-Ray might have near complete monopoly over the recording disc business. Besides, DVDs are great!

Also, HD-DVD is made region free I believe? But Blu-Ray isn't. (Correct me if I'm wrong there). Of course, this probably isn't an issue for anyone who can fix their players to be region free, but I've never even touched a Blu-Ray player before I don't think... I guess this one is a matter of experience and laziness .

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 22:29   Link #38
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
lol you mean blu-ray IS better. since blu-ray murdered hd-dvd.
The reason i like blu-ray its because of its capacity 50GB double layer
i hope they make cheaper burners
FK korean!!!! they have the burner!!!
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 22:34   Link #39
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Well Im very happy Blue-Ray won cause im a Sony fanboy and thank the HD Gods that it didnt turn out like Betamax
Old 2008-02-21, 22:46   Link #40
Nenkitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
/Agrees

If you're ever planning to open those files, you'll need a computer anyway. Considering that you're planning to mass hoard stuff in your BDs, just get a laptop .

Blu-ray Players can play DVDs, but DVD players can't play Blu-Ray . I don't think it's really worth it at this point (the standalone player, the Blu-Ray drive, or the PS3 unless you really want to watch high quality movies and play lots of PS3 games ). Well, maybe it is worth it after all . The point is though, it's still too expensive like it just came in the market or something. I think it's just because DVD lost the format war, Blu-Ray might have near complete monopoly over the recording disc business. Besides, DVDs are great!

Also, HD-DVD is made region free I believe? But Blu-Ray isn't. (Correct me if I'm wrong there). Of course, this probably isn't an issue for anyone who can fix their players to be region free, but I've never even touched a Blu-Ray player before I don't think... I guess this one is a matter of experience and laziness .
Yeah, I plan on building a new system that will be overkill for high def stuff (because i'm sick of crappy frame rates)
I tend to archive stuff as disks. Hard drives are cheap, but anime tends to take up a lot of room VERY fast (along with video games) so even if hard drives become cheap, disks will always be cheaper to me. Also, it's easier to store disks away for archiving than it is a hard drive. (to me at least)

Blu-ray isn't region free, but it might as well be. here's a breakdown of the blu-ray regions (i love them compared to dvd regions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

As you can see, japan AND the us are in the same region XP. that's all that matters to me.

also, according to wiki, up to this year about 2/3rds were region free

もいちど。。。