AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-10, 08:54   Link #1
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Path of Exile

Hello everyone,

I'm sure some of you have already heard of Path of Exile by now. It's a free to play action RPG in the veins of Diablo. The game is in closed beta as we speak and is being developed by Grinding Gear Games.

Even though the game looks a lot like Diablo II at first glance, there are actually a few innovations that set Path of Exile apart from it's competitors. For one, there's the gigantic skill tree, that is very much reminiscent of the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X. In it, you only skill passive bonuses by the way. Active skills are socketed into your euqipment, similarly to how it's done in Final Fantasy VII. With other sockets in the same piece of gear you can even modify your skills. Needless to say that the game is quite complex in it's design. That way, a bit of accessibilty for new players is lost, but at the same time there's much more motivation to play the endgame content of the game than for example in Dialbo III.

The is a level cap, but due to the fact that you lose experience points when you die on higher levels, hardly anybody is actually going to reach it. That's at least how the developers see it. Just like in Diablo II, there are a couple of ladders that you can compete in. A real currency like gold does not exist, however. Instead, NPC's trade items with you and very often give you different shards for your items, that can be transformed int Orbs. With those, you can optimzize your gear; add attributes, add sockets, change socket color and much more. You can really take the worst grey item and forge it into a mighty weapon. Unlike in Diablo III you don't have to play the auction house to get good gear, which has nothing to do with the actual game.

Anyway, I'm not here to bash D3. I really like the game. I just want to get your attention to the differences in design. There are currently six playable classes and two acts. A third act is as good as done, but not implemented yet. The developer's have said that there are going to be four when the game launches. PvP is also going to make it into the game. As far as I know, it doesn't exist right now, although there are some events every now and then in which players can fight each other and steal loot from other players.

For ten bucks, you can buy access to the beta. You can also sign up without paying and hope to be lucky enough to get a key by chance. Every five minutes or so, a key is given away randomly. Everyone intrigued by what I said should check out this trailer: click!

Unfortunately, there's really a lot of crap among free to play titles, but just like League of Legends, Path of Exile looks to be shaping up to be an exceptional title. Is anyone else aside from me playing the game? Is anybody interested? I have spent a few hours now in the game and am absolutely hooked.

Last but not least, I'd like you to take a look at the massive skill tree. I think "skill forest" would be more fitting, though.

Spoiler for space:
Old 2012-08-10, 20:23   Link #2
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Nice of you to make a thread on this f2p game, I signed up for the beta ages ago, thinking of just donating and getting into it
What really intises me to this game is the choice, so varied. I love that kind of play style mixing and matching.
Old 2013-01-21, 16:46   Link #3
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Seeing as this game is going into open beta, and no more character wipes will be happening after this Wednesday. Thought it would be a good idea to see who is playing, and what class
Old 2013-01-21, 17:45   Link #4
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
For one, there's the gigantic skill tree, that is very much reminiscent of the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X. In it, you only skill passive bonuses by the way. Active skills are socketed into your euqipment, similarly to how it's done in Final Fantasy VII. With other sockets in the same piece of gear you can even modify your skills. Needless to say that the game is quite complex in it's design. That way, a bit of accessibilty for new players is lost, but at the same time there's much more motivation to play the endgame content of the game than for example in Dialbo III.
It only sounds complex, but I think it's quite accessible; the only thing you really have to keep in mind is that respec points (which you get as rewards for some quests) and orbs of regret (which are consumables that the same effect) are at a premium, and you can only backtrack from the ends of explored branches in the skill matrix. So, it's really a good idea to take the time to think about what kind of character you want to build - fortunately, the skill tree is accessible online to aid in this.

And yes, the presence of linked sockets and support gems makes for some truly evil combinations. A couple of my favorites follow:
  • Poison Arrow + Chain: the former leaves a short-lived toxin cloud at the point of impact, which inflicts a DoT on tangos which remain in it; Chain, when linked to any projectile-spawning skill, causes the projectile(s) to bounce to additional, random nearby targets, triggering the skill's effects at each. This combination can have groups choking in no time... feel free to have this music playing in the background while you spread the doom.
  • Viper Strike + Increased Duration: a successful hit with Viper Strike will, in addition to the basic weapon damage and on-hit effects, also leave behind a toxin charge that inflicts a DoT over its several-second lifespan. Another strike in that period will add another charge and reset the timer; you can have up to four charges on a target. Increased Duration, of course, boosts the duration of its associated skill. Note that the type of damage from Viper Strike and Poison Cloud ignores energy shielding...
  • Puncture + Increased Duration: as above but instead of a stackable DoT, Puncture inflicts a version that uses a higher value while the target is moving.
  • Viper Strike/Puncture + Vulnerability: the latter is not a support, but a curse which among its other effects boosts the DoTs its victims have while it is active.
Be warned: quite a few of the tangos have access to these skills too.

Quote:
...NPC's trade items with you and very often give you different shards for your items, that can be transformed int Orbs. With those, you can optimzize your gear; add attributes, add sockets, change socket color and much more. You can really take the worst grey item and forge it into a mighty weapon. Unlike in Diablo III you don't have to play the auction house to get good gear, which has nothing to do with the actual game.
Indeed, you will often find yourself sticking with a particular piece of gear despite the availability of a better one because of its socket layout (and not having the appropriate orbs on hand to try and 'fix' the new one).

On another note: potions joined currency on the cutting room floor. What you have instead are flasks (you can have up to five active ones) that contain a number of charges, with each use draining a portion of these... don't worry, they refill as you kill tangoes. And yes, those flasks can be modified too: for instance, you might have a health flask whose doses heal instantly (as opposed to over some seconds) if used at less than 30% life; a mana flask might confer an armor buff over its effect duration. Even more interesting: aside from the expected health/mana/hybrid flasks, there are also a few special ones (like one which gives you 100% critical hit chance for a brief time).

And that endgame content referred to above? Those would be 'keys' to random dungeons accessible from a certain facility... and yes, those can be modified too. TotalBiscuit does an excellent job explaining this here... and apparently Runic liked the concept enough that it shows up in Torchlight 2, with slight modifications, as the Mapworks.

There is, of course, no auction house; the store focuses on convenience items (so far, extra shared stash space, and extra character slots for your account); the other planned purchasables are purely cosmetic (alternate animations and visual effects; 'pets' like the kiwis that come with some of the supporter packs).

My one real complaint is a relatively minor one: GGG decided for whatever reason to gender-lock the classes. A better solution in my opinion would've been to mirror Torchlight 2's basic character customization (gender; face style/skin tone; hairstyle - bonus if you include the option to not render the helmet model): not only would this help the various players stand out more, but you would then have other options for microtransactions. As an example, folks have already expressed interest in having the Ebony Legon aesthetic (found here) available...

Finally, I'll just leave Gamespot's most recent relevant video feature here...

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 20:52   Link #5
backccopy

good info,A better solution in my opinion would've been to mirror Torchlight 2's basic character customization.thanks
backccopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 22:41   Link #6
Traece
:cool:

I actually did the cheapest payment option for this game for sweet beta play and barely touched it after the free weekend that got me interested. I consider it money well spent regardless, however.

Path of Exile is basically what Diablo III should have been, in my eyes. It has all of the things that made Diablo II a great game, and then adds many fantastic ideas and improvements in. It's a well-made game and it has a lot of good development choices, and so I recommend it to ALL ARPG FANS.
Old 2013-01-22, 00:05   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm applying for open beta, too bad they haven't sent my activation email for the past few hours.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 00:09   Link #8
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

too Diablo for my liking.
will pass this mmo
Old 2013-01-22, 17:38   Link #9
T-6000

Around spring of last year I was given a beta key (by a kind user at the official Torchlight 2 forums) for this game, and I enjoyed it alot. The atmosphere was bleak and gritty and the gameplay was addictive. However, the game has just gotten too easy lately and I just lost interest. Maybe I'll try it again when the game goes open beta soon, but for me if a hack & slash Action RPG isn't challenging then I'll quickly loose interest. A bit masochistic of me, I may admit, but I did grow up with Diablo and Diablo 2. And even by today's standards they were challenging (and often hard) RPGs. Especially the first Diablo game.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 21:53   Link #10
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
"This is not the end...

"...but, rather, the beginning of the end."

As of right now, we are less than 19 days away from 'full launch' (i.e. v1.0.0). Lots of relevant links and discussion to be had in this thread... but first, I'd recommend watching this meaty Gamespot video:

Last edited by Firefly00; 2013-10-05 at 01:26. Reason: Oops, forgot the thread link...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 04:28   Link #11
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

There's almost no one to play with anymore that I stopped playing the game.
Old 2013-11-17, 02:38   Link #12
Marulash

Been playing for a while now, on and off. First char is doing a LA/Frenzy build, but I'm a bit stuck in Merciless for now. Just browsing shops for better gear. Gotta get my resists up and a better bow (been using Death's Harp since lvl 32).

Been thinking of making another character, I found a interesting Reave build on the forums so I might try that one out and see if I can do better this time.
Marulash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 16:39   Link #13
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

The game overall is amazing, the only thing holding me back from just playing it loads is pretty trivial, but its the look of my character and items. I look like a trash can at lvl 5 and at 70. Lots of people playing now and hopefully that means GGG can get some new artists as there is only one employed at the moment.
Old 2013-11-18, 21:38   Link #14
Marulash

Yeah. Some of the uniques I feel don't look that great (or they do, but you gotta zoom in all the way just to see its fancy look). Some art rework would be nice, but I do think the way the gear looks like (I guess random pieces thrown on together?) really makes me feel like an exile on Wraeclast.

Recently met a rogue exile on Merciless, the one who does Viper Strike, had Darkshroud in his name. God damn he hits hard, died 8 times before I could kill him by myself. I think I had a tougher time against him then I did against Cruel Dominus.
Marulash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 02:38   Link #15
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Started playing this back in december and I am now near the end of the cruel difficulty with my Witch (re-started a few times + the events I participated at random).

My question here being if it's possible to obtain each skill gem as a drop from enemies? I know that different classes get different quest rewards, but I have yet to see several gems; stuff that I should already be able to use with my current level.

And no, I don't want to trade with other players.
Old 2014-01-06, 14:38   Link #16
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

You can obtain all skill gems from drops. Some with quality some without, but you would be really lucky to get all of them, maybe in a few years . The best way to get most of the gems is by leveling all exiles to 60 with all the quests done. I never really had any problems getting gem's because I trade with friends. Magic find will increase the chances of your drops, but chances are you will just get rares and above. Also new gems are added every patch, so will need a big stash if you want to have them all.
Old 2014-01-06, 22:00   Link #17
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Not really looking for a full set, but I wanted to know if I had any hope of getting the reduced mana one with my Witch.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 2014-01-06, 23:21   Link #18
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

If you level up a Templar, Scion or Marauder to act 2 cruel and do the quest Sharp and Cruel,you can get a reduced mana quickly. Witch doesn't get reduced mana from quests but it has a high drop, it is highly wanted by many too. So not too hard to get!
Old 2014-01-07, 14:47   Link #19
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Witch doesn't get reduced mana from quests but it has a high drop, it is highly wanted by many too. So not too hard to get!
Damn, if it's easy to get in comparison to others, then I can only blame my bad luck for this.

At this point, I'll even settle for mana leech, which is another gem I have yet to see.
Old 2014-01-07, 18:07   Link #20
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Why is the reason you don't want to trade with others? Because I have both of those gems in multiple and I am not active at the moment so I don't mind giving you them. I am guessing its because your playing self found or something