AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-05, 11:07   Link #29881
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder what that would do to the vegitarians that are vegitarian only out of protest against cruelty to animals?
Old 2013-08-05, 11:17   Link #29882
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder what that would do to the vegetarians that are vegetarian only out of protest against cruelty to animals?
They go out of business. Like most modern charities.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-05, 11:23   Link #29883
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I wonder what that would do to the vegitarians that are vegitarian only out of protest against cruelty to animals?
Protest against the cruelty to lab-grown cells? Just think of the innumerable poor cells locked in the labs, unable to roam free!!
Old 2013-08-05, 11:34   Link #29884
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Honeymooner 'destroyed' after hit-and-run kills wife; suspect held on $1M bail
source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...n-1m-bail?lite
Quote:
A driver was held on suspicion of murder Monday two days after a car plowed through Los Angeles' popular Venice Beach boardwalk, killing a young Italian woman in the U.S. for her honeymoon and injuring 11 other people, authorities said
comments: i hope they're ok (the injured). really suck for the husband since his wife dies.
Old 2013-08-05, 12:05   Link #29885
kyp275
Meh

I say we give the husband a semi truck and an hour with the guy hog-tied.
Old 2013-08-05, 12:34   Link #29886
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I say we give the husband a semi truck and an hour with the guy hog-tied.
the man is form Italy...give him a cement truck.
Old 2013-08-05, 12:34   Link #29887
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the man is form Italy...give him a cement truck.
Give him a dumpster truck. The stink should add to the pain as he is being dragged along.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-05, 13:00   Link #29888
AnimeFan188

How DEA program differs from recent NSA revelations:

"Reuters has uncovered previously unreported details about a separate program, run
by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, that extends well beyond intelligence
gathering. Its use, legal experts say, raises fundamental questions about whether the
government is concealing information used to investigate and help build criminal cases
against American citizens.

The DEA program is run by a secretive unit called the Special Operations Division, or
SOD. Here is how NSA efforts exposed by Snowden differ from the activities of the
SOD:"

See:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740AI20130805

I wonder how many other programs like this are out there that we *don't* know
about?
Old 2013-08-05, 13:06   Link #29889
AnimeFan188

Iran Seen Trying New Path to a Bomb:

"Iran could begin producing weapons-grade plutonium by next summer, U.S. and
European officials believe, using a different nuclear technology that would be easier for
foreign countries to attack.

The second path to potentially producing a nuclear weapon could complicate
international efforts to negotiate with Iran's new president, Hasan Rouhani, who was
sworn in Sunday in Tehran. It also heightens the possibility of an Israeli strike, said U.S.
and European officials.

Until now, U.S. and Western governments had been focused primarily on Iran's vast
program to enrich uranium, one path to creating the fissile materials needed for nuclear
weapons. Now, the West is increasingly concerned Iran also could use the
development of a heavy water nuclear reactor to produce plutonium for a bomb. A
heavy-water reactor is an easier target to hit than the underground facilities that house
Iran's uranium-enrichment facilities."

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...963633244.html
Old 2013-08-05, 13:55   Link #29890
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Read above. Also, I resent that accusation, there is a difference between asking for higher wages and asking for ridiculous wages.
Kyp, I think you and the other poster misunderstood each other. He probably believe wages as in Federal Min wage (7.25) need to double, you seem to believe everyone's wage has to double.

Given there are less than 79 million people in this country would be affected, and for reference, working at 40 hr/52 week a year is barely 15,000 a year....

I don't think the world would end if they start clocking at 30,000 PRE TAX.
Old 2013-08-05, 20:41   Link #29891
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Amazon founder Bezos to buy the Washington Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740Y420130805

Republicans threaten boycott of debates over Clinton programs
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740UO20130805
Old 2013-08-05, 20:53   Link #29892
JokerD

Quote:
Insist that it is unsafe like the current protests against GM plants?
Old 2013-08-05, 21:32   Link #29893
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London

Now to wait until it's available to the public after throughout testing.
The main issue is that the sterile nutrients use to grow the meat tissue is costing thousands of dollars.

But I think this is just a publicity stunt for promoting the real purpose of human organ production. No one would pay full price of a synthetic burger many times more than the real deal, but they would give all they have if they needed a new lung.
Old 2013-08-06, 00:53   Link #29894
maplehurry

Quote:
Nobody is saying they deserve criticism for asking for higher wages, the criticism comes in when they demand wages that are way beyond what is reasonable/realistic for the position.
well, someday they are going to be replaced by automated vending machine.

Them demanding higher wages would speed up the process. Probably a good thing in the end.
Old 2013-08-06, 06:00   Link #29895
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

First taste of test-tube burger declared 'close to meat'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740PL20130806
Old 2013-08-06, 11:06   Link #29896
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
well, someday they are going to be replaced by automated vending machine.

Them demanding higher wages would speed up the process. Probably a good thing in the end.
Why yes, lets make sure all jobs get replaced by vending machines. Then we will reach a stage where everything is free and humans are free to ponder the Universe, or 80% of the population a permanent underclass left the die, 19% become guards to suppress rebellions (until they are replaced by machines) and 1% live like kings (until the machines decided they no longer need them)

Welcome to the future, "good" idea.
Old 2013-08-06, 11:13   Link #29897
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Why yes, lets make sure all jobs get replaced by vending machines. Then we will reach a stage where everything is free and humans are free to ponder the Universe, or 80% of the population a permanent underclass left the die, 19% become guards to suppress rebellions (until they are replaced by machines) and 1% live like kings (until the machines decided they no longer need them)

Sounds like feudal Japan or the medieval times.

Old 2013-08-06, 15:28   Link #29898
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
First taste of test-tube burger declared 'close to meat'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740PL20130806
Some people would freak out at this, but I think it's good considering how it shows progress of science involving this domain.
Old 2013-08-06, 15:45   Link #29899
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post

Hah! *claps*
Old 2013-08-06, 16:04   Link #29900
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Lee Kuan Yew shares personal take on life and death in new book
Quote:
Singapore (Aug 6, Tue): At 89 years old, Mr Lee Kuan Yew is not afraid to face death. But given a choice, he would prefer a quick and painless one, rather than endure an illness that would leave him bedridden for months in a semi-comatose state.

The former prime minister of Singapore was unexpectedly candid about his personal views on life and religious belief in his latest book, One Man's View of the World, launched today at the Istana, the official residence and office of the President of Singapore.

In the preface, Mr Lee wrote that "the book is about my views of the world and the forces at play in the forseeable future".

Well-known for being a hard-nosed realist, the former leader described in his book "a China that remains obsessed with control from the centre on its way to an unstoppable rise" and "an America that will have to share its pre-eminence despite its never-say-die dynamism".

Never one to mince his words when expressing scepticism of Western ideals of democracy and free speech, Mr Lee explained why "the Arab Spring won't bring one man, one vote to the Middle East" and outlined the possible outcomes of a two-party government in Singapore.

But it may well be Mr Lee's frank views on life, death and religious belief that will stir up the most coffee-shop talk among Singaporeans in the weeks ahead.

As a politician who has dominated every sphere of Singapore's economy and society since its independence in 1965 — he still serves as the Member of Parliament for Tanjong Pagar, a ward which he has held since 1955 — Mr Lee comes across as surprisingly human when he wrote that "there is no point in avoiding the question" of death.

"What concerns me is: How do I go? Will the end come swiftly, with a stroke in one of the coronary arteries? Or will it be a stroke in the mind that lays me out in bed for months, semi-comatose? Of the two, I prefer the quick one.

"Quite often, the doctors and relatives of the patient believe they should keep life going. I do not agree. There is an end to everything and I want mine to come as quickly and as painlessly as possible."

He is characteristically agnostic about God and the hereafter. "I wouldn't call myself an atheist. I neither deny nor accept that there is a God... I do not laugh at people who believe in God. But I do not necessarily believe in God — nor deny that there could be one.

"Those around me who may have tried to proselytise to me no longer do so because they know it is a hopeless case."

But such conviction comes at a price, which Mr Lee readily acknowledged: "I wish I can meet my wife in the hereafter, but I don't think I will. I just cease to exist just as she has ceased to exist."

His wife, Mdm Kwa Geok Choo, died in October 2010 after a long illness.

The book is dedicated to her.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international