AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-08-07, 22:49   Link #1
Gundam Freak
The Gundam Senin

Whats with the pop up on the main site?

Every time I reload www.animesuki.com, I get a pop up. Are they sponsers or do I have spyware?.
Gundam Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 22:52   Link #2
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Freak
Every time I reload www.animesuki.com, I get a pop up. Are they sponsers or do I have spyware?.
I don't see any pop ups. Ever. Unless I want to anyway. I don't think there's a pop up ad intergrated to Animesuki but I wouldn't blame them if they did, they need to get money to keep the site going some how you know.

I suggest you get a pop up blocker or in fact, just use FireFox. I changed from IE long time ago and I've never been happier with a web browser.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

You'll see no more pop-up, less explots and ad-aware from cookies will get into your computer.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 01:09   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I've never seen any pop-ups appear on the main site. My guess is you have some kind of virus/spywear that is reading the sites you visit and throwing ads at you based on the site's content. I also recommend you get Firefox to fix the problem.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 01:50   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well Mb81 did change the ad codes recently to show a popup. According to him it should
only show on the main index page (none of the other sub-pages) and will not be shown
anymore after 10 impressions (presumably it will never show again after seen 10 times).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 03:44   Link #5
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Freak
I have the same problem, annoys the hell outta me
But if it stops after 10 times I have no problems with it
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 01:30   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb81
Well, we tested some popups since the click rates are nearly zero (no big wonder..). Every 10th adview a popup was shown (with is really nothing..).
When you include the numbers of us who have popup blockers it really does approach nothing. Does anyone still not have a popup blocker anymore? Alternative web browsers like Opera and Firefox have popup blockers built in and I've heard that even the SP2 upgrade for IE includes a popup blocker now. That's got to take the bottom out of the popup marketplace.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 11:29   Link #7
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
I remember long ago when I used to be into "WAREZ"(I was young, don't sue me). They had those systems where you had to click on many different banners and what not to download something.

Imagine on the entry of the forums it rold us that if we don't click on 5 different banners, we can't enter. Compared to that, is a pop-up(that can be ignored completely via pop-up blocker) ad once every 10 visits really worth complaining about?

Something like that is the most extreme form of ad-intergration in my opinion and what's on animesuki now in terms of ads pales in comparison to what I've seen before. Scrooling ads, ads with music files that repeat, ads that squish up the forum by hogging either the right or left side... the list goes on.

As long as animesuki doesn't use any of the ads listed above, I don't think it'll ever bother me at all. Although I wouldn't complain much if they started to, they need to get money to run the site smoothly some how.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 23:30   Link #8
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Does anyone still not have a popup blocker anymore?
Ehhh....*Waves* MeEEeEeE1!!
I don't have a popup blocker, don't have the need for one too. It's not that hard to move the mouse to the little "X", and it's a fun little game trying to kill the popups when I DO go to sites that produce them (very little). I also like to believe it improves my aim with FPS games but that may just be me

About the popups on the main site, I've never experienced one...
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 11:08   Link #9
luisa081

ya the popup is getting annoying...
may i suggest enphasis alittle more on the donate button?
luisa081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 12:18   Link #10
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa081
Honestly i don't think the popup is that bad...it's not like it's installing spyware or anything...it's just a little box that you click the x to close

and may i suggest that you don't try to "emphasize" the donate button if you yourself don't plan on donating...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 19:24   Link #11
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa081
The popup is nothing compared to what i've seen before and its pretty small at that. As long as animesuki doesn't do more than 1 popup at a time, I won't mind.

There's a donate button? Emphasis on it wouldn't hurt, but I dunno how many people would donate since a lot of members are pretty young here (like early 20's). I have a hard time just paying for gas and car insurance, and saving whatever is left...
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 04:38   Link #12
-TheAnimeGuy-
I will..Protect Everyone!

Send a message via AIM to -TheAnimeGuy- Send a message via MSN to -TheAnimeGuy- Send a message via Yahoo to -TheAnimeGuy-
Slade, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I downloaded that Mozilla Fox and its awesome!! alot of my sites i go to run alot quicker and theres no pop ups on any of them due to the pop up blocker already installed on this explorer,i know what ill be using for now on i used to use msn explorer but this is way faster,thanks again(:
-TheAnimeGuy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 04:47   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Another solution is to use http://animesuki.animehack.com/

It doesn't have a pop-up or even an ad banner.

Of course I use Opera which is just as good as Firefox at preventing pop-ups so it doesn't really bother me.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-09-24, 11:43   Link #14
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TheAnimeGuy-
Slade, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I downloaded that Mozilla Fox and its awesome!! alot of my sites i go to run alot quicker and theres no pop ups on any of them due to the pop up blocker already installed on this explorer,i know what ill be using for now on i used to use msn explorer but this is way faster,thanks again(:
It seems I'm not the only one who recently switched brownsers

I don't mind ads on the main site (the costs have to be paid somehow) but I do mind pop-ups, at least now i'm rid of them .
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 15:16   Link #15
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I have a problem with the forum pop-up ontop of the forum page. It takes forever to load up and I can't stop it because its all of a sudden for some reason Flash-animated. Look, pop-ups are bad enough already, so we don't need a flash one to make it even more of a burden.

Is there anyway that I can turn off the flash at the top of the page?
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 17:26   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I have a problem with the forum pop-up ontop of the forum page. It takes forever to load up and I can't stop it because its all of a sudden for some reason Flash-animated. Look, pop-ups are bad enough already, so we don't need a flash one to make it even more of a burden.

forum popup or banner? if it is just a popup then you can close it.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 17:37   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb

Yes. Just use the mirror: http://animesuki.animehack.com/