AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-23, 00:03   Link #801
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
Saki, Teru, Kyaputen, and Shizu on the Individual Finals.. Expect that to be an awesome finals.
I think people are forgetting about Arakawa Kei, the current #2 in the Individuals. While we don't know if she's merely skilled or possesses magic mahjong powers too, the fact that she's ranked only after Teru says a lot, despite her school not qualifying for the Team Finals.
Old 2012-05-23, 01:06   Link #802
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I remember trying to read this some months ago. I didn't understand squat.

http://osamuko.com/2009/02/18/umaike...aori-and-suji/

It took that example I gave to finally realize: "Holy crap. I can use this 'suji' knowledge as an offensive weapon." Of course, when there's an offense, there's a defense to respond to it; and that defense is mapped out right in that guide.
I'm going to go and say this. The best defense against people who use suji offensively is to know when you should totally betaori, and when you do, always play the tiles in the safest order; do not keep ANY thought about "keeping a hand together" or something like that if it conflicts with it. In a situation that calls for total bailing, there's only one thing that would make me play less safe tiles as opposed to safe tile - if I have a lot of the former but little of the latter. And even then I'd only do it if the difference in safety is very small.

Also, the "senki-suji" thing, as with any theory that tries to guess what the dangerous tiles are, is essentially useless because of how inaccurate they can be, and how that in almost all situations, you can see safe tiles as opposed to having to forcibly guess the dangerous tiles, and it's ALWAYS superior to do the former rather than the latter when there's a choice.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 01:10   Link #803
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Oh... you went on the Avatar line. I'm thinking Captain Planet. So, who's heart?!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 01:18   Link #804
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
*snips*
These are good theories Triple_R and I could easily see it going this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey
Yes! I'm glad to see this be raised as the topic of discussion, because I've always been very curious to learn just why the mention of Saki's sister has such a powerful effect on her.
Anyway regarding Teru I wonder if the latest episode is how Teru usually deals with the press. Because if this is how Teru usually deals with them then Saki affects her just as badly as Teru affects her estranged imouto,

If you guys rewatch the last episode of original anime (ep.25), there was the interview that Nishida, the main reporter of S1, did with Teru asking if she has a sister.

Spoiler for ep. 25 scene:

Notice how curt and even rude Teru is in that scene compared to this latest episode where she's the perfect media darling.

I think when Teru said go ahead she was going to be perfectly polite until Nishida decided to ask about her imouto... The moment they asked that you can see Teru have decided that the interview was over... She did not even make an excuse just turned away from them.

And the visible pause when she was answering... I have no sister. Whatever Teru says Saki obviously still affects her a lot.

Btw, I think Nishida noticed that pause as well as Teru's facial expression. Nishida after all is the reporter that managed to spot Nodoka's miniscule pause when she interviewed Nodoka in ep. 3 and compared to Teru's pause, Nodoka's was easily overlooked.

Spoiler for Nodoka's pause:

Nodoka's interview is a nice parallel to Teru's interview actually and its even more obvious considering both of them are trying to deny the same person. Considering that Teru must have a very good facade or probably just don't care about most things like Nodoka, the fact that their armor piercing question is about Saki says a lot.

I wonder what Nishida actually made of Teru's interview... she must have know that Teru is lying there...
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 01:54   Link #805
Kyuu
=^^=

Well. In this Achiga episode -- Teru is facing a whole press conference, with Live TV and many reporters. A professional demeanor is required to handle it.

The case in Season 1. Teru was with just one reporter, who is often ignored. So, here. Teru can afford being somewhat of a jerk.
Old 2012-05-23, 01:55   Link #806
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Ha she said she had no sister I do not remember LOL
Old 2012-05-23, 03:23   Link #807
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Hmmmm I am considering claiming this, but I like my Nodoka . I'll decide later .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 04:38   Link #808
Akarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think people are forgetting about Arakawa Kei, the current #2 in the Individuals. While we don't know if she's merely skilled or possesses magic mahjong powers too, the fact that she's ranked only after Teru says a lot, despite her school not qualifying for the Team Finals.
Who? what episode/chapter did she appear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh... you went on the Avatar line. I'm thinking Captain Planet. So, who's heart?!
Kubo
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 04:44   Link #809
Marina2

Quote:
Who? what episode/chapter did she appear?
- Arakawa Kei appeared in the group picture at the end of ep.25 of Saki

- Achiga team talked about her in ep.3

- She is in the preview of next ep. (the one in nurse uniform)
Old 2012-05-23, 06:00   Link #810
gaiar31

gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 08:14   Link #811
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
- Arakawa Kei appeared in the group picture at the end of ep.25 of Saki

- Achiga team talked about her in ep.3

- She is in the preview of next ep. (the one in nurse uniform)
Nurse Kei now??? Bet she will see this coming.

Just rewatched episode 6 through nico nico douga.(Guess what... "牌乳ガンダム", solve this quote I get from nico nico douga. Hint:Mahjong missiles or it can be something else?(or use the words "牌乳" and change the words.) Arata's step is also a normal MS step.(Got pulse one.))

Quote:

No brakes on the rape train.

To Akarin: A bomb is set on your car. Your car will explode if you decrease your speed.

Hmm?
Wind vs Fire... Fire loses as wind blows the fire away?(But it say be different if its the other scenario.)
Fire vs Thunder... I have no idea...
Fire vs water... Spray it away guys.
Wind vs Thunder... No idea...
Wind vs water... They look like friends...
Thunder vs water... Water with impurities will conduct electricity but pure water no...

So from season 1, Teru ability looks like a mirror(From Yuuki's perspective it is not looking good...), which what I will predict, a mahjong history for her enemy players, and counters it/ make use of it to her advantage. I know how to defeat this one... But I won't say it.(I will give a hint though, she is vanguard so the people in the vanguard area is danger, but hint to beating her is up to 1 person whether she wants to destroy her skill or not.)

A mirror is like a wall, but it is showing your own nature, if you throw that nature away and know your true self, the mirror will be destroyed.

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-05-23 at 09:26.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 09:36   Link #812
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm glad to see that some of my fellow Sakimaniacs like the theories I suggested. I definitely agree with Dr. Casey that the Miyanaga family feud is a great topic for discussion, and is probably the biggest and most compelling mystery in this anime/manga narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
In a mahjong-centric narrative, the second instance might make more sense, except for the fact that every time Saki talks about her sister in both the first anime and the manga (with reference to her playing style) suggests the opposite, that Teru was dominating even then (see every time Saki encounters a "monster", where she reacts "It's like that time with my sister!").

Indeed, some of the folk in the manga thread think that Saki's playing style, and her outlook with regards to the moves of her opponents (she OVER-estimates, rather than under-estimates, as seen with when she she goes against Yumi), was shaped by being constantly pitted against Teru.
Well, the main reason I went with "Saki used to defeat Teru alot, and adopted the 'plus-minus zero' approach as a way of throwing matches to Teru" is because I vaguely recall Saki mentioning something about her family getting upset when she'd win.

But maybe I'm not remembering that correctly. I'm not in a position to check the first few episodes of Saki season 1, so I don't know for sure.

Perhaps it was a case that Saki was slowly getting better at mahjong, which excited her sister Teru since Teru finally had somebody that was at least a challenge for her at mahjong. But that was from Teru's perspective - from Saki's perspective, she could never defeat her sister, and that frustrated her, so Saki stopped caring and hence deliberately threw matches with the "plus-minus zero" approach. Once Teru caught on to what Saki was doing, Teru became incensed. Her sister had at least given her interesting mahjong matches before, but not now.

Teru: Stop throwing matches!

Saki: Why? It's not like I can defeat you anyway.

Teru: That's not the point. Besides, maybe one day you will defeat me... but only if you continue trying to win, of course!

Saki: Come on, sis, we both know that I can't truly compete with you.

Teru: So you're just going to quit then?

Saki: Against you? Yes. Be proud. It means you're really great at mahjong!

Teru: ... That's not what I want from my sister! No sister of mine quits at mahjong!

And there you have it. That would probably be a very poignant lead-in to a Saki/Teru Finals match where Saki squeaks out a victory (or even coming a very close second could impress Teru and re-establish their sisterly bond).
Old 2012-05-23, 09:44   Link #813
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm glad to see that some of my fellow Sakimaniacs like the theories I suggested. I definitely agree with Dr. Casey that the Miyanaga family feud is a great topic for discussion, and is probably the biggest and most compelling mystery in this anime/manga narrative.

Well, the main reason I went with "Saki used to defeat Teru alot, and adopted the 'plus-minus zero' approach as a way of throwing matches to Teru" is because I vaguely recall Saki mentioning something about her family getting upset when she'd win.

But maybe I'm not remembering that correctly. I'm not in a position to check the first few episodes of Saki season 1, so I don't know for sure.

Perhaps it was a case that Saki was slowly getting better at mahjong, which excited her sister Teru since Teru finally had somebody that was at least a challenge for her at mahjong. But that was from Teru's perspective - from Saki's perspective, she could never defeat her sister, and that frustrated her, so Saki stopped caring and hence deliberately threw matches with the "plus-minus zero" approach. Once Teru caught on to what Saki was doing, Teru became incensed. Her sister had at least given her interesting mahjong matches before, but not now.

Teru: Stop throwing matches!

Saki: Why? It's not like I can defeat you anyway.

Teru: That's not the point. Besides, maybe one day you will defeat me... but only if you continue trying to win, of course!

Saki: Come on, sis, we both know that I can't truly compete with you.

Teru: So you're just going to quit then?

Saki: Against you? Yes. Be proud. It means you're really great at mahjong!

Teru: ... That's not what I want from my sister! No sister of mine quits at mahjong!

And there you have it. That would probably be a very poignant lead-in to a Saki/Teru Finals match where Saki squeaks out a victory (or even coming a very close second could impress Teru and re-establish their sisterly bond).
That is, if Kiyosumi gets to finals first...
Old 2012-05-23, 10:06   Link #814
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
That is, if Kiyosumi gets to finals first...
Again, the Saki-Teru match will have to happen in the individuals.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 10:10   Link #815
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Again, the Saki-Teru match will have to happen in the individuals.
Yeah, after reading what you wrote before, I meant the individuals finals (a bit disappointing that they can't go head-to-head in the group finals, though...)

If Kiyosumi faces Teru in the Group Finals, I feel VERY sorry for Tacos...
Old 2012-05-23, 10:13   Link #816
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Yeah, after reading what you wrote before, I meant the individuals finals (a bit disappointing that they can't go head-to-head in the group finals, though...)

Best sacrifice for what comes dude. Deal with it. (I also feel sorry for Tacos, but no choice, you can't change line-ups.)

Plus it is easy if you are people like Asemu Asuno(Bringing in Gundam AGE as Teru is another X-Rounder type(mirror skill, can tell whats your skill, and somehow your next move.)), unpredictable skill which is no use for Teru to beat.
Old 2012-05-23, 10:20   Link #817
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Red face

Quote:
It's a virtual guarantee at this point, and we already get a taste of it at the end of episode 25 of the first season.

The question now for many is who will get the final slot, as people think that both Kiyosumi and Achiga now have plot armor on their side, so they're a shoe-in. I'd love Miyamori (from the main Saki manga) to be the other school, but everything points to Rinkai (the team with expat students) to be getting the last seat at the finals table (Fujita foreshadows it in S1 when she mentions players who can "see the flow" of a game).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-05-23 at 15:26. Reason: removed spoiler part
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 10:25   Link #818
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu
Well. In this Achiga episode -- Teru is facing a whole press conference, with Live TV and many reporters. A professional demeanor is required to handle it.
Yes, It could possibly be that. But, Teru is affected by that question regarding her imouto regardless. She might be less polite when she was with Nishida but she visibly closed up when she was asked about Saki.

I really wonder about that long pause before she answered Nishida, its as if she was hesitating in answering that question. If Teru doesn't care about Saki there will be no hesitation or just plain disinterest. In fact I would say that Teru denying her sister meant she is still emotionally invested on Saki. After all, it takes a lot of emotion to hold a grudge that lasts for years.

Another theory is that there is an outside factor that is forcing Teru to act this way like perhaps the yakuza. Lol after all this is a mahjong anime .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Your not remembering it wrong, I just rewatched the original series - the reason that Saki gave to her plus/minus zero approach is if she loses her family will take her candy ( anime ) or money (manga) and they will get angry if she wins.

The exact quote from the manga is this "I remember not wanting to lose my new year's money. And if I won everyone would get angry, so I remembered never to let myself win."

Wait I just noticed something... SAKI PLAYED +/- 0 at AGE 6?!!!
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 11:23   Link #819
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Something like that, I believe. The sisters have heavenly powers, no doubt.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 13:40   Link #820
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
What? Many young chess players are often taught master level gameplay at early ages, so that they can handle even "heavier" stuff.

Via YouTube, I did come across a Japanese TV show in which the show host is playing against 3 kids. I can't remember the result, but some of the kids had some nice gameplay.

Quote:
Yes, It could possibly be that. But, Teru is affected by that question regarding her imouto regardless. She might be less polite when she was with Nishida but she visibly closed up when she was asked about Saki.
Oh, of course. Sensitive issues are... sensitive issues. Teru pausing after that question. I can imagine her first thought: "Why the hell are you asking me that stupid question?" Naturally, she wouldn't want to answer that.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri