AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-12, 17:32   Link #181
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Ah, thanks for that, I was wondering if anyone had listed all the references in the OP and didn't know where to start myself (hoo boy, that is a lot of them too).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 18:30   Link #182
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Second episode was good: pace, story development, animation, decent humor (nowhere near SeiYaku, for me, but funny). But the main thing here is the birth -- or maybe apotheosis -- of two stars: Hikasa Youko as a seiyuu and Takagaki Ayahi as a singer.

Hyocchi is just amazing in this episode, with great range and force. A comic actress, but not just comic.

And although the ED song is nothing special, Ayahi's singing of it is totally outstanding, better than 95% of other anime singers -- and in the top rank of seiyuu singers with Nana-chan, Minorin, and Hayamin, for me -- with full expression and subtle musicality.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 18:45   Link #183
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Someone mentioned already that Aleister Crowley appears in the OP. Well that's not the only reference to be shown.

http://hyper-parfait.blogspot.com/20...per+Parfait%29

Staff sure did their homework.
Whooo sapphire-pyro did a nice job with that OP. I had caught of the refs but since I rarely watch OPs I kinda sped through it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 19:27   Link #184
Silverwyrm

haha, really enjoying this

Would love to have an avatar of her giving the evil eye, but I've never been able to get the programs for those to work right on my computer
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 19:29   Link #185
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I guess Maya isn't everyone's cup of tea. But frankly, I'm very into her. Definitely the most interesting, appealing female character I've seen in the last 2 years. I'm a sucker for the dominant type. With just a dash of cute vulnerability. I like her motivations, I like her style, I love her facial expressions, I love her commanding voice.
Old 2010-07-12, 19:31   Link #186
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye.... I think Maya's facial expressions takes this over my "meh, what else is on?" feeling. Series isn't *bad*, just a case of 'limited time and prioritizing how it is spent" coupled with "deja vu". Need to check out a couple of other series though so this is still on the list.
Compared to the usual deer in headlights expressions many anime females tend to have, I welcome Maya's expressive nature. I could deal with her being less pissed but meh, classic tsundere. I'm sure we'll see some change in her personality as the mystery deepens/unravels.

The overall feel of the series throws back to a lot of older series that didn't take themselves seriously and had fun with their stories. I mean, the whole thing is completely silly but instead of pretending it isn't the show plays right along with it. The serious elements are done tastefully enough to ensure they are not glossed over and the references are fun to catch.

It's incredibly striking how different the three "horror" titles are this season. Highschool of the Dead is a fanservice fest of sex, violence, and Romero zombies. Shiki is very moody and Stephen King-ish. Occult almost feels like a spiritual kin to Army of Darkness or Ghostbusters.
Old 2010-07-12, 19:40   Link #187
Silverwyrm

question:

Spoiler for ep2 spoilers:
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 19:49   Link #188
McGee

I just love the reaction faces.
McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:21   Link #189
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Nice episode. It's been a while since I've seen a truly sexy girl in an anime, w/o using blatant fanservice.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:37   Link #190
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Maya is quite possibly the most expressive female protagonist ever.

Interesting that the esper boy grew up to be a total wuss.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:43   Link #191
Midonin
Last Engage

There are stages in between "badass" and "wuss", you know. He knows what he's supposed to do and wants to get it done, but a lack of information and Maya's attitude in general are both roadblocks.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:46   Link #192
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I don't know. His entrance into Maya's room definitely rules out him being a wuss, in my opinion. He's just normal.
I'm not a big fan of Maya. She's really way too violent for me, and she's usually just angry or disgusted.

I wonder what happened to his spoon-bending powers, though.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 20:51   Link #193
SnowSong

Spoiler:
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 21:34   Link #194
Francismeunier
Banned

Thumbs up Episode 2

It was amazing! Maya's expressions are incredible. All this stuff goes with the IRL stuff about 2012 so it's grabbing. I though it was more telekinesis than psychokinesis....any major differences in that? Easy 10/10 and soon GIFs.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 21:38   Link #195
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I wonder whether that was Fumaiki's psychokinesis at work when that brick saved Maya(not the brick itself of course). Also, why such an image change from the future to the past? Well, maybe he didn't change, but he just seemed to act unexpectedly diff at times from his 2010 personality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I don't know. His entrance into Maya's room definitely rules out him being a wuss, in my opinion. He's just normal.
I'm not a big fan of Maya. She's really way too violent for me, and she's usually just angry or disgusted.
One has to wonder HOW he managed to SWING into the window on the 2nd floor(or whatever floor it was) though >.>.

It's called "tsundere", a type of girl that was quite popular in 1999. Before "moe" was introduced.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 21:38   Link #196
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Geesh, how many times is Maya going to beat up the poor guy?

Great episode though.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:26   Link #197
Carlos Julian
Elsie smash!

Great episode. Loved Maya's expressions. Also, it's good to see that Fumiaki isn't a total wuss. Still gotta feel sorry for the poor guy, though.

Spoiler for He has to deal with this monster:
Carlos Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:31   Link #198
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSong View Post
Spoiler:
I think that wasn't a peaceful picture, but a ruined and empty landscape.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:38   Link #199
dickdatduck
(ﺧ益ﺨ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Nice episode. It's been a while since I've seen a truly sexy girl in an anime, w/o using blatant fanservice.
The shower scene, towel and almost constant zettai ryouiki shots are not "blatant fanservice"?
dickdatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:43   Link #200
Joojoobees

Quote:
I wonder whether that was Fumaiki's psychokinesis at work when that brick saved Maya(not the brick itself of course).
I thought so at first, but maybe it was a protective spell.

Quote:
Also, why such an image change from the future to the past? Well, maybe he didn't change, but he just seemed to act unexpectedly diff at times from his 2010 personality.
It was a big change! I wonder if he was exaggerating his own confidence in his telling of the story to Maya.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote