Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-10-22, 09:46   Link #61
Sasuke_Bateman
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamknight87 View Post
... Because Wing Zero was THE Gundam!!! Remember when Quatre goes into emo mode and blows some colonies in one shot with that bigass Twin Buster Rifle. Heero did the same with the Libra and gazillions of grunts. And then Endless Waltz presented the redesign of the Gundams, being the Wing Zero Custom one of the most memorable Gundams ever.
Yeah, Heero's Gundam.
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 10:19   Link #62
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I love Wing maybe for more sentimental reasons instead of reasons having to do with the quality of the show. Thats not to say I don't think it was well done, but there are obviously better Gundam series out there. However, Gundam Wing was one of the shows that brought me into anime. Like a lot of people posting on this thread, I first saw the show on the Toonami run, and actually paid more attention to it than DBZ, which was the craze at the time.

I think that Wing gets a bad rep for some of its faults (outrageous, prettyboy protagonists), but also had some very redeeming qualities (great gundam designs, great villains like treize and zechs, feasible plot). While its not the best Gundam series, its far from the worst.
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 12:57   Link #63
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

But come on Wing Zero Custom had feathers! It's a gundam FFS not a duck or a bird or an angel. I can understand memorable but not in the good way. At least the Deathscythe's shroud had some plausibility and purpose. But the feathers? WTF. That was probably the third biggest WTF for me apart from the 3 previously stated. Why does it have feathers? It's not like it was supposed to be a bio-organic mech. Every Gundam that had wing like appendages had a use for them. Wing Zero Custom was the only one that had no explanation for their purpose. Don't say for re-entry because the transformed wing zero could already re-enter earth without them.

IMO it blew a lot of shit up isn't valid reason either. Nearly every Gundam blows a lot of shit up notable exceptions from memory are the Strike Rouge and the Alex.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 14:01   Link #64
beamknight87
Gold Saint

During the battle with Wufei, Heero makes the Wing Zero Custom reenter to the atmosphere covering itself with the wings -_-.
Come on, the feathers are just part of the design, I guess they're just fanservice (the scene where Heero recovers the WZC and activates it) to give it a more "angelic" feeling or whatever.
And if WZC isn't enough we also have the TallGeese III, which also has a bigass gun at his disposition, enough to blow up... what was the MO-II? A satellite?
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 15:50   Link #65
Virtue
Banned

I much prefer the Wing storyline.

When I compare to the Gundam 00 guys, the Wing pilots not only had to hide their Gundams(yes they often show how they are hidden, unlike 00 where we're not shown how they hide their MSs), but they also had to find ammunition and other resources. And at least we're shown that the Gundams actually run out of ammunition (ie.vulcans).

Lately these past Gundam series didn't have to worry much over resupplying...
Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 15:51   Link #66
digi.amuro

mcruz1014: Its as you said. I also came into anime pretty much from watching Wing on Toonami (moreso than DBZ for me also). I mean, it was pretty much my first gundam series (i'd seen a commercial for 0083 b4, tho) and the Wing pilots were just too cool, even tho they were a bunch of pretty boys. The mech designs were good, story was solid, and the characters were interesting to me. I feel like it was the first best redu of the original gundam series, and it still managed to keep its own originallity about it, so you dont look at it off the top of your head and go, 'total rippage'. I even went thru a whole Heero phase back then. Heck, when seed first came out I was like "Tch, coordinators. Garbage. The Wing pilots would own them hard."

lol. It sounds kinda silly now, but I still wont admit to anything less than a draw now.

hobbes_fan: I believe the feathers were an asthetic design by the artist. If I could find the mag article I have stashed somewhere, I think it tells about the redesigns. Anyways, I thought it was ultra-leet back then. Still one of my favs now (i still have a problem with strike freedom being cooler, But I'm starting to recognize it more, especially since I finally got around to finishing Seed Destiny today) I mean, I dont see anything wrong w/ it having the angel look. When I saw it, it made perfect sense to me (tho I was back in middle school then)

Virtue: I agree, that was also one of the cool things about Wing, their resourcefulness. But, in the defence of Seed/Destiny, they are w/ the military for the most part anyway, so they dont have as much of a need to hide their suits except for special tasks until we get characters breaking off and forming their own factions, tho they still didnt do much to hide them anyways aside from stashing on the ships. 00 wont have the same excuse, tho.

As far as Wing goes, it goes down in my book as one of my fav gundam series of all time. I can easily say that it was the only gundam that I ever cried for. Wing Zero is still one of the baddest gundams under made, especially Custom with its angelic wings. Sure they dont seem so feasible now, but its still freakin awesome, you have to admit.

Its part of what has me amped about 00. The pilot of the Exia does look kinda like a more modestly dressed heero, dont ya think?
Old 2007-10-23, 12:17   Link #67
TypeR
Fate X Destiny

GW was the first Gundam Series to be brought over to North America no?
Old 2007-10-23, 13:50   Link #68
DarkBlood
コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paininator View Post
Why is it that everyone likes Gundam Wing?
Hmm lets see here. It's awesome.
DarkBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 15:49   Link #69
Deathwing
what do i know

One of my favorite animes and my all time favorite Gundam series
I think the reason why most people like it is its so real with friends and enemies changing throughout the series
normal people just trained to the limit no coordinators or New Types , sure it had the Zero System but all the characters could use it (mixed results but it is nothing genetic)
They nailed human nature dead on
Also it had some of the most memorable characters in any anime with rich character development Zechs has to be one of my favorite characters ever i also liked Duo and i cant say i hated any of them (close to hating Heero but i dont)

@Sasuke i remember Zechs beating Heero when he was using epyon and Zechs was using zero (Zero is just the best machine)

....im gonna go watch this anime again
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 16:14   Link #70
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
Because of Treize Khushrenada. He was awesome.
Beat me it damn But yes Treize kicked all types of ass.
Old 2007-10-23, 18:21   Link #71
Paininator

It's so real??? Come on man. Where do they refuel? Where do they get ammunition? It is definitely not real. How does a hand held weapon, destroy something the size of a colony? Its not even remotely possible for this so called "buster rifle" to contain enough minovsky particles to destroy a colony. There is no way in hell a 15 year old kid could be the strongest, smartest, pilot. However, if they had said that Heero or whatever was a newtype, it would have made at least some sense.
Paininator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 18:53   Link #72
Deathwing
what do i know

ok let me rephrase its real by comparison to a 15 year old boy with no pilot experience all of a sudden finding a mobile suit being able to magically pilot it and conveniently finding out he is a new type of human
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:31   Link #73
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paininator View Post
It's so real??? Come on man. Where do they refuel? Where do they get ammunition? It is definitely not real. How does a hand held weapon, destroy something the size of a colony? Its not even remotely possible for this so called "buster rifle" to contain enough minovsky particles to destroy a colony. There is no way in hell a 15 year old kid could be the strongest, smartest, pilot. However, if they had said that Heero or whatever was a newtype, it would have made at least some sense.
In episode one they explained how wu fei got ammo, they all had their ways ie duo had that old dude and quatra had his core etc, I don't doubt the possibility of the "buster rifle" destroying a colony what is a colony it's a man made eco system or something that's got a wall protecting it from space if you think about it something like that is insanely fragile. all a gun would have to do is punch a whole through it and that colony would be gone. I don't care much for the newtype crap admittedly heero was basically super human in a way.

Oh to the people talking about the pointlessness of the angel wings, they were technically a shield: notice WZC had no sheild, i'll be honest that drove me nuts i liked the original wing zero the best but the improved deathscythe will always be my favorite gundam(when it's chest expanded out it's gotta be one of the scariest things for something that devillike to be sneaking up on you), all the other gundams i've seen lately have been to bland to me, like 00 wtf is with their gundams the only cool one is the sniper like gundam, and albeit some of seed's gundams were cool but i hate batteries and basically every fight they would run out of power, and the justice and freedom how the hell do like 7 rifles just come out of their body like that, and wtf was with some of the gundams with the beams in their chest, their beams had no barrels it just came out of it's chest out of like nowhere. i feel like the gundam designers of seed were just trying to put too much stuff onto one mobile suit

Last edited by fuzzles; 2007-10-23 at 21:44.
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:58   Link #74
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzles View Post
In episode one they explained how wu fei got ammo, they all had their ways ie duo had that old dude and quatra had his core etc,
Except the one who needs restocking most, Trowa, was staying at a circus... How the heck did HE restock? I mean, for a guy who runs out of ammo every battle, you'd expect him to have a giant spaceship equipping him... But nope, its hidden under a giant sheet of cloth while the pilot is dancing on tightropes.
Old 2007-10-24, 01:01   Link #75
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
ok let me rephrase its real by comparison to a 15 year old boy with no pilot experience all of a sudden finding a mobile suit being able to magically pilot it and conveniently finding out he is a new type of human
Well, if you're referring to Amuro, he was reading the Gundam's manual as soon as he came across it, which was before he actually got into, or saw the Gundam, which helped with him understanding at least some of the controls, and the newtype thing didn't come about until after Amuro was already a well skilled pilot.

The wing pilots were trained for a long time to be as skilled as they were, despite them being young. I also figure, as do many people, that the age was meant to identify the characters with the target teenage viewers. If you ask me, I would say the Wing pilots look and act like they're about 20 or so.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 05:38   Link #76
Sasuke_Bateman
No

Quote:
@Sasuke i remember Zechs beating Heero when he was using epyon and Zechs was using zero (Zero is just the best machine)
Heero didn't lose.
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 10:24   Link #77
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Except the one who needs restocking most, Trowa, was staying at a circus... How the heck did HE restock? I mean, for a guy who runs out of ammo every battle, you'd expect him to have a giant spaceship equipping him... But nope, its hidden under a giant sheet of cloth while the pilot is dancing on tightropes.
well you can assume he also did the same thing as wu fei at first, and lets not forget he got some help from quatra
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 12:49   Link #78
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Heero lost in the first episode. Remember he pretty much had to abandon Wing Zero. I call that a loss. Had it not been for Duo the thing would have been at the bottom of the sea.
Old 2007-10-24, 13:09   Link #79
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
But come on Wing Zero Custom had feathers! It's a gundam FFS not a duck or a bird or an angel. I can understand memorable but not in the good way. At least the Deathscythe's shroud had some plausibility and purpose. But the feathers? WTF. That was probably the third biggest WTF for me apart from the 3 previously stated. Why does it have feathers? It's not like it was supposed to be a bio-organic mech. Every Gundam that had wing like appendages had a use for them. Wing Zero Custom was the only one that had no explanation for their purpose. Don't say for re-entry because the transformed wing zero could already re-enter earth without them.

IMO it blew a lot of shit up isn't valid reason either. Nearly every Gundam blows a lot of shit up notable exceptions from memory are the Strike Rouge and the Alex.
Dunno about you, but it looked awesome to me.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 15:34   Link #80
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I'm ok with the fact it had wings, feathers not so much. Sorry OMG it looks like an angel doesn't work for me. Looks cool maybe but about as functional as tits on a bull