Old 2014-04-12, 14:30   Link #1041
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Always enjoyed this "fight", put that arrogant bastard in his place fast
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 14:31   Link #1042
cyth
Banned

I have to agree. That last fight was decently hyped up, and I liked that, but one simple distortion filter, and that's all it got? Kinda underwhelming. The adaptation didn't get the big budget/craftsmanship it deserves (given its huge popularity), but I'll continue watching. As I've said, I don't mind the occasional power fantasy. This is still better and less pretentious than No Game, No Life.

I have to admit though, Tatsuya's imouto joke caught me off guard. LOL'd there.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 14:55   Link #1043
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I have to agree. That last fight was decently hyped up, and I liked that, but one simple distortion filter, and that's all it got? Kinda underwhelming. The adaptation didn't get the big budget/craftsmanship it deserves (given its huge popularity), but I'll continue watching. As I've said, I don't mind the occasional power fantasy. This is still better and less pretentious than No Game, No Life.

I have to admit though, Tatsuya's imouto joke caught me off guard. LOL'd there.
Of course not, Tatsuya is pretty much stoic while NGLN is full of a fantasy world.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 14:58   Link #1044
Sakuratsuki

Nice episode. He put that annoying bastard in his place
Can't wait for the next episode.

Finally an awesome mc and not like the typical annoying main characters out there.
The fights are great in this anime. Want to see more the next episodes. Also some really nice cute moments of Miyuki.

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2014-04-12 at 15:11.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:06   Link #1045
larethian

CR translations are no good. Even without intimate knowledge of source material, it's clear in this context that they shouldn't be translating "ordinary people" to "civilians". Good grief >_< Saying the students are not civilians is like what the hell.

I always thought Suzune should have a lower voice, *shock*

That lover joke, that cornering of Azusa, that eat your words to Hattori, Tatsuya's horrible personality animated is just plain awesome. They even animated Hattori's mental simulation. Really no complaints about the episode except for CR's translations.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:07   Link #1046
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
Guns, swords, fists, kicks.
Is there any weapon of choice I missed so far?
With not just say CADs, magic and martial arts?

MadHhouse is doing a great job.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 15:13   Link #1047
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It's a big cast, so it has taken me a while to produce a characters/seiyuuus page. Pics of 18 characters and their seiyuus, with a bit of info about each seiyuu. Ep2 out in around 12 hours.
Wait, the gunman at the end of the OP is voiced by Matsuoka Yoshitsugu? That's hilarious with all those Kirito comparisons shooting up as we'll perhaps get a Tatsuya / Kirito face-off.
Old 2014-04-12, 16:02   Link #1048
eceso

great second episode

glad that he put the vice president on his ass, his character is annoying
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:03   Link #1049
Kakurin
大佐

That was a fun episode, I like it, although the animation quality was lower, but nothing too dramatic. Tatsuya continued to prove his mettle analysing things, he's really talented in this department. Hearing it for the second time I do wonder what is meant by that he can't get angry (provided the sub was correct). I do have a theory about that, but I refrain from such things for now, lest I provoke another spoiler-fest.
Very funny to see him trolling the entire student council body plus Miyuki with his "joke". With his stoic way you really can't tell whether he's really joking.
Curious to see how he doesn't really step up for himself, but once Miyuki's involved he steps in for her sake. Cracked up at the "fight" with Hattori, that's what you call instant kill I guess. And that guy tried simulating his victory in his head. Not surprising Tatsuya was able to get behind him in no time considering his proficiency in martial arts.

The student council president Mayumi surprised me a little with her personality. Didn't expect that after the first episode, but seems pretty good. By the way, I found the noticeable difference in the tone of her voice while greeting Tatsuya and Miyuki pretty funny. Greeted Tatsuya girly-like why greeting Miyuki like what you expect of a student council president in a matter of a split-second.

Oh, and I agree, Crunchyroll's not doing a good job here. Translating 一般人 as "civilian" instead of "ordinary person", what the heck was the translator thinking?
Old 2014-04-12, 16:18   Link #1050
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show is popular for good reason. Highly enjoyable ep2. Pardon me for totally having a crush on both Miyuki and Tatsuya. Hayami Saori is a goddess in this kind of role. Shy, extravagantly polite, but not weak at all. And the smoothness of Nakamura Yuuichi is just perfect.

And by the way, that was not a joke. Lol. Not that anything ever has or ever will happen physically, but they are like Izanami and Izanagi: sibling gods and lovers.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:21   Link #1051
Eclipze

So it looks like the flashback from episode 1 was in line with Tatsuya's abilities - he clearly still possesses the combat prowess from the war a few years ago. It was more of a physical thing though (extreme agility that allowed him to take out Hattori even before he gets to cast his spell). We still do not know what his current situation is with his magical powers.

The mystery now is why Tatsuya's practical test scores are so low. From that one scene in the middle of the episode, we can see that for some reason or other, the machinery that they had to operate wasn't really compatible with Tatsuya for some reason - or at least, he wasn't able to output his magical powers in the way that he wanted to. Perhaps his magical source is "wired" differently from the other mages in the school, or that his powers were being suppressed/sealed somehow (which would still allow him to take out the VP like so at the end of the episode).
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:31   Link #1052
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So basically the MC's one established weakness has already been reduced to a mere technicality. Well I can't say I didn't see it coming though I didn't think it would be this soon. Still seems generally devoid of a personality, or at least a sympathetic and engaging one. The Imouto is still just "the imouto" and doesn't look like her character and role in the story will be less dependant on her precious oniichan anytime soon. On the plus side, I find all the other characters fairly engaging. The biggest points goes to the Disciplinary Committee President who made an insightful commentary on how the policing of Class 2 students from a Committee made up of only Class 1 students would increase tensions. Now if only they'd explain why these tensions exist in the first place, that'd be a good start. While they're at it I'd also kinda like them to explain why students are left policing other students with highly dangerous abilities (forum members don't need to).

I'm also struggling to understand what this show is really all about. So far it's all been about a bunch of students with magical abilities. It hasn't really made any headway into an identifiable plot so I hope something actually starts happening soon (again forum members don't need to say anything).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:45   Link #1053
Vocah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Now if only they'd explain why these tensions exist in the first place, that'd be a good start.
I don't understand that part, why do they have to explain that? I would be more curious if this tension would NOT be present. I mean, the weaker Course 2 students even have a different uniform.
Vocah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 16:54   Link #1054
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I could never imagine that slight differences in uniform leading to discrimination. Frankly I don't see how it follows that having a class of reserves would automatically entail this many fucks.
Old 2014-04-12, 16:55   Link #1055
Mentar
Banned

Another pretty good episode, which gives me one reason to worry a bit, though: Due to the necessity of shortening things, LOTS of dialogue gets lost. Dialogue, which helps fleshing out the personalities of the main characters. Especially Mayumi suffers in this aspect.

Therefore, it might actually be advisable - especially for those people who wonder "what's the big deal?" - to read the manga to "fill in some blanks". It's still significantly reduced compared to the elaborate Light Novel, but sufficiently detailed to help putting some more flesh on the anime's barebones.

For those who want to try without being spoiled: You can safely read up to chapter 6 of the manga. It ends at the same spot.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:10   Link #1056
HandofFate

Quote:
I could never imagine that slight differences in uniform leading to discrimination. Frankly I don't see how it follows that having a class of reserves would automatically entail this many fucks.
How not?
Reserves have less magical range/power/MP.
So of course 1 students feel they're superior.

Tatsuya has other abilities to make up for it. But its something you can't really test on a widescale, so the school ranks students on things they can quantify into raw numbers.

Look at the scene in class where everyone else is a weed do that exercise pushing the motor back and forth. Even compared to them, Tatsuya was ridiculously slow. Everyone else in the background started after Tatsuya, and went on to almost their second rotation before Tatsuya's even started moving.
Old 2014-04-12, 17:17   Link #1057
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Course 1 students are officially better than Course 2 and everyone's reminded of it every time they look at the uniforms. How could there not be "tensions"?

The privileged Course 1 students are going to behave like assholes. Why wouldn't the Course 2 resent them?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:21   Link #1058
rladls716

This Hatori, he cares more about school's image rather than the student's devotion.
No wonder up until Tatsuya showed up there are only Course 1 students are in the Disipline Commitee.

I wonder if Tatsuya was not joking about the part Miyuki and he would be lovers if not blood related, would that ruin his character or become more popular?
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:25   Link #1059
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
This Hatori, he cares more about school's image rather than the student's devotion.
No wonder up until Tatsuya showed up there are only Course 1 students are in the Disipline Commitee.

I wonder if Tatsuya was not joking about the part Miyuki and he would be lovers if not blood related, would that ruin his character or become more popular?
judging by oreimo, i'm pretty sure wincest will make him more popular.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:28   Link #1060
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
How not?
Reserves have less magical range/power/MP.
So of course 1 students feel they're superior.

Tatsuya has other abilities to make up for it. But its something you can't really test on a widescale, so the school ranks students on things they can quantify into raw numbers.

Look at the scene in class where everyone else is a weed do that exercise pushing the motor back and forth. Even compared to them, Tatsuya was ridiculously slow. Everyone else in the background started after Tatsuya, and went on to almost their second rotation before Tatsuya's even started moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Course 1 students are officially better than Course 2 and everyone's reminded of it every time they look at the uniforms. How could there not be "tensions"?

The privileged Course 1 students are going to behave like assholes. Why wouldn't the Course 2 resent them?

And where exactly is that leap from bragging rights to discrimination?

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural