AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-05, 10:28   Link #1
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Nana

I certainly hope this is allowed, because I am so excited about the first episode of NANA that aired tonight here in Tokyo, I had to give my first impressions.

Don't worry, no spoilers here. =3

For those of you that were disappointed by the animation and art of Paradise Kiss, I don't think you need to worry here. The artwork is very loyal to the manga it seems, and it looks like the NANA covers have come to life!

The opening theme was very nice--well animated, emotional and choreographed well. But personally I was disappointed by the ending theme by OLIVIA, and much prefer Yuna Ito as Reira's singing voice...ah well, I guess we can't have it all.

On an additional note, for those that have seen the movie, Shouji is much better looking than he was in the movie, and I think it will be easier to get attached to him and therefore sympathize with Hachi in further episodes.

I also like the slower pace the anime is taking, as opposed to the rushed 12-episode ParaKiss series. I get the feeling this one will go on for at least two seasons.

I look forward to the fansub--whoever is doing it! And furthermore, I will be on the lookout for NANA anime merchandise! ^^v
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 10:33   Link #2
wrex_japan

I haven't read the manga (my gf has them all), but the anime was kinda interesting, and the parts when the two Nanas give different opinions of their friendship was funny (when they're at the apartment). My gf thought the voice for the rocker Nana seemed too old for her, and thought the shorter Nana's face wasn't quite like the manga. I liked the animation style though, and I thought for the most part it was pretty high quality for a TV show.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 10:47   Link #3
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa
For those of you that were disappointed by the animation and art of Paradise Kiss, I don't think you need to worry here. The artwork is very loyal to the manga it seems, and it looks like the NANA covers have come to life!
I love you for this!

This was my major worry and now I feel relived.

But ok just one question, until I can get the raw

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 10:51   Link #4
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland]
I love you for this!

This was my major worry and now I feel relived.

But ok just one question, until I can get the raw

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance
Well, I haven't read through the manga in detail, I have only skimmed through it. I plan on buying copies from Book Off very soon though. But this is what I will tell you:

Spoiler:

I also have to agree about Komatsu's face looking different. Additionally, I thought the movie version was cuter. ^^; I had no problem with Nana's deep voice though.
Old 2006-04-05, 10:53   Link #5
LynnieS

I'm certainly impressed by the artwork, design and overall feel, and if the rest of the series follow the example of the first episode (always a concern), I'll continue to tune in.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 11:02   Link #6
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Nana Anime

I'm not really sure this is the place to post this, but i'm just finished watching the first episode of Nana, wich was aired just a while ago, and i wanted to give my first impressions.

Unfortunately, i missed the opening. If the song is the one you hear in the next week preview thing, it sounds quite cool. The ending theme is a bit plain to me, though...

This first episode basically ends like the manga ends at the vol.1, if i'm not mistaken.

Technically, i wouldn't say it's bad, but i think Aizawa's graphic style doesn't fit anime graphic style at all. Too rich, i guess. I already noticed that on Gokinjo Monogatari or Paradise Kiss. That's why it's sort of a disappointment. The colors are quite well-chosen, so i guess it makes up for the rest. Though the animation is satisfying, nothing great comes out of it, like you would be expecting from such a great original work. You just wish there was more...
The voices sound convincing, Hachiko not too noisy or whiny, Osaki not too "virile" or distant. But yet again, there's nothing special about them. You don't really feel like they give you something the manga don't.

In the end, just as the movie does, it makes you feel like you can't deal with upper-class arts and stories like Nana the way you'd do with any other shoûjo or Shônen manga. I know some won't agree, once they've watched it, and maybe ep.2 will make me change my mind, but for now, that's the conclusion i came to.

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-04-06 at 01:54.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 11:10   Link #7
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa
I haven't seen the movie but, for for what I read, they jumped directly to the 2° volume of the manga. It's not too bad, not at all, is when the story begin to have the real grip.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-05, 11:14   Link #8
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Unfortunately, i missed the opening. If the song is the one you hear in the next week preview thing, it sounds quite cool. The ending theme is a bit plain to me, though...
Yeah, that's the song. The opening song is sung by Anna Tsuchiya, and the title is "Rose."
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 11:19   Link #9
raphaël
trainee archangel

no surprises, please

Thanks for confirming. I won't miss it next week. ^^
Then, what did you all think of the ending?
Old 2006-04-05, 11:21   Link #10
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

As I already mentioned, I like OLIVIA, but I was thoroughly disappointed with it. As far as Reira goes, nothing beats "Endless Story," which is what got me into NANA to begin with.
Old 2006-04-05, 11:27   Link #11
raphaël
trainee archangel

Woa, sorry mippa, it's hard to keep up with the messages everyone is sending at the same time, and i was more or less asking wrex... (yes, i know, i wrote "you all"... sorry again, my english sucks...)
Anyways, i just can't wait until next week, now you told me that...
Old 2006-04-05, 14:09   Link #12
lavielove

NANA screen-caps

http://blog.livedoor.jp/roborobo2/ar.../50499871.html
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 15:39   Link #13
dxgarten

I think the first episode is excellent. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a manga to anime adaptation. The last time around was with <em>Honey and Clover</em>. The OP and ED are not the kind of music that I like but I think they are appropriate for the series.

Screencaps and brief impression of the first episode
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 16:27   Link #14
Linly

I cannot wait for the sub! I'm really happy they made an anime of Nana bcoz the manga just rocks!
Linly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 17:09   Link #15
Omniscient

Episode 01 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 17:26   Link #16
Black_Sharingan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxgarten
I think the first episode is excellent. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a manga to anime adaptation. The last time around was with <em>Honey and Clover</em>. The OP and ED are not the kind of music that I like but I think they are appropriate for the series.

Screencaps and brief impression of the first episode
How many episodes will this be scheduled for? I've read the first manga from Viz and they're not bad at all.
Black_Sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 17:30   Link #17
Linly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
Thx for the website, I just downloaded the OP of Nana and its just so Nana-isch . Beauitiful Opening, I dun have complains.
Linly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 17:50   Link #18
Woland
Latin Rascal

Thanks Omniscent. I just watched the op and I found it quite amazing. Very beautiful animation of Nana Ozaki (the vocalist of the song is a good choice) and a load of "very meaningfull" pictures in between (like the cherry glass or the cake). Now I can't wait for the whole thing! ^_^
Old 2006-04-05, 18:34   Link #19
lemondude
"super lemon"

I don't know if this series is anything like paradiss kiss, then it's not gonna be any good. Thats only IMO of course.
lemondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 18:41   Link #20
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
I don't know if this series is anything like paradiss kiss, then it's not gonna be any good. Thats only IMO of course.
I can't say that it's nothing like Paradise Kiss since the two are by the same manga-ka, but they are vastly different. One of the main contrasts is the director, which is now Asaka Morio instead of Kobayashi Osamu (the latter of whom's directing style I'm still not used to).
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance