AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-27, 01:01   Link #1
EdwardElricForever

Winavi Video Converter Audio Questions!

I really hope that I am in the clear in regards to my questions as I looked through all the pages and couldn't find excatly what I was looking for so please, I hope that someone will please be willing to help me out!

So, to make a long story short when I started bruning fansubs to Dvd I had no idea about what overscan really was so I happily went ahead and converted them into widescreen .Vob format using Winavi Video Converter and Nero 7 to burn them to DVD which only cut out the sides and I had no problem with that.

I then decided to really read into overscan and ended up updating to TMPGEnc4 Xpress (which I love) when Winavi couldn't convert some of my episodes and I have had no problems with anything since until the other day when I reached some epsiodes that used the new X264 codec and TMPGEnc doesn't read these!

I have been reading through turtoirals about this new codec and descovered that Winavi will actually convert these particular type files properly so I experimented and to my amazement they worked!

My only question is about the audio side of things!

When I use TMPGEnc I make sure that my audio bitrate is set to 128 Kbps and Dolby Digital on all series! These sound amazing on my home cinema system compared to how they used to sound when I used Winavi but if from now on I have to use Winavi to convert certain episodes, I'm scared that they will have to sound bad again.

So I need the help of someone who uses or has used these programs please!

Is there any way of changing the audio settings in Winavi that I haven't descovered yet?

So far I can't find anything options like they have in TMPG. The only audio I can see is the defult 'source audio stream 1[mp4a]' under 'encode'.

Under DVD there is this 'enable DVD Mp2 audio' option but what would this do?

What audio settings does Winavi actually use? Can I make them Dolby Digital?

IS there a way to made TMPGEnc encode these type of files somehow?

Well, Thanks so much everyone and sorry for all the questions ^.^
EdwardElricForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 02:39   Link #2
Sci-Fi

Which WinAvi version do you have? In any case, after you pick a file(s) to convert, just click on the advanced button and you can set your audio bitrate anywhere from 128000 to 224000. In version 8.x they combined the MP2 option as a drop down choice in the "Encode" section (AC3 is default)...earlier versions had a checkbox "IF" you wanted MP2...BUT most will choose AC3.

Also in V8 you can also change the audio sample rate: from "auto" to manually choosing 32000-48000 in the expanded "DSHOW Decoder" - "Decorder Adjust" section. Plus in V8 you can choose/change the codec you want to use.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 00:48   Link #3
EdwardElricForever

Hey

Thank you so much for replying to my question! I was beginning to loose hope

Anyway, I have version 7! Here is a screenshot my advanced screen...

Is 128000 the same as 128kbps then?

Also, if I want the audio to sound like a Dolby Digital equivalent which option would I select, 'Enable direct AC3' or 'Enable DVD Mpg2 audio'? Which one of these would sound better on a home cinema?

Hum I can't seem to find 'audio sample rate' in here, maybe mine doesn't have it!

May I also ask you what a good width and height percentage is to convert fansubs in so that the over scan doesn't show on a TV (NTSC)?

Thanks so much for your help
Old 2008-02-28, 03:18   Link #4
Sci-Fi

Just check off the "Enable DirectAC3". And yes, 128000 = 128kbps...I use the 192000 setting. In your version, you can't set the 'audio sample rate' manually.

I would change the video setting from "By Speed" to "By Quality". Only takes a few more minutes, but the picture quality improvement is worth it.

As far as aspect ratio, I just use the "auto" setting. But if I'm understanding you correctly about 'overscan', the only way is to crop the video and author to a new DVD-Video. BUT black bars and no resize are the way to go! May lose or cutoff some of the subs at the edges on a regular TV if it doesn't have a widescreen option, but the DVD plays nicely on a HDTV/widescreen TV or computer.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 23:57   Link #5
EdwardElricForever

Yay! Thanks so much for all of your kind help!

I've tried everything that you said and the episodes turned out perfectly on the TV so again, thank you so much for your time