AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-03, 18:08   Link #41
Calawain
Gaijin

Very unexpected but good episode.

Spoiler for Ep 22:
Old 2007-09-03, 18:29   Link #42
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The episode got off to a rocky start as not only was the timing at its worst, but they were even inconsistent with their time-progression motifs. I started to warm up to it as the jokes got better (and we got to hear the great ad-libbing and delivery for Tsukasa--kawaii!), and then... Oh, and then!!

The B part just flowed. I've complained before when Lucky Star tried to take turns to be dramatic or tug at heartstrings, because its presentation outside of those scenes did nothing to build up to them. This, on the other hand, was entirely successful. It didn't break the Lucky Star style, it simply looked deeper into things we already knew about the characters, and the scene was strong enough and complete enough to stand entirely on its own. I still wish the rest of the series had done more to prepare the audience for something like this, but it works well enough, anyway.

As always, Soujirou's relationship with Konata and his disturbing amount of clarity in understanding his interests and relationships is amusing even without any jokes. Shimamoto Sumi was the perfect choice for Kanata, as well; I always admire her delivery, and it usually feels like a breath of fresh air--doubly so here. Her sudden burst of a reference line at the end of the preview made me burst out laughing, too. Especially after her demure but sharp disappointment in Soujirou's reference.

I want to gush more about this, but I think I'd best wait until I can collect my thoughts on it. For now I'll just settle on concluding that it was marvelous.
Old 2007-09-03, 18:38   Link #43
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

What i like about this episode
- Yutaka's "awwww" when Konata gives a comment about how she always had enough sleep but still no improvement on her physical appearance.
- Kagami's tsundereness during her scenes with Misao and Ayano,also when she walks together with Konata while holding a bread..i just can't get enough of it.

But the best part about this episode will be >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
[Oh man, the Kanata section alone warrants a 10 for this one,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Kanata voiced by Shimamoto Sumi (Nausicaä, Clarisse d'Cagliostro, Otonashi Kyoko) warrants an 11/10 in itself. And the B part made me teary-eyed. I wonder if Kyo-Ani is pulling a pre-CLANNAD showcase with this part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'm amazed at how well the second part flowed. Especially how naturally they blended the jokes and the emotional Kanata backstory. Kanata's part of the episode was really wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41nano View Post
Kanata part was so well done, it's amazing, very sad/joyful moment for me.
I almost cryed
Not like last week, but a very very good ep for me, lots of emotions, 10/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Well if it helps, i cried my heart about. The production by Kyoani makes this episode a huge winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
I almost cried manly tears when Kanata appeared!

*sniff*

I can't wait to see the subs tomorrow, I may need some buckets or something.

Can we also get a higher rating for this ep specifically?

I think a 100/10 should suffice.
I can't agree more...10/10 is a must for this epic episode...the moment Kanata came into their house,and the sad BGM played to match the scenes,i can't hold my tears..the best scenes to me >> when Soujiro admit his love for Kanata,followed by a flashback between Soujiro and Kanata together,matched with that beuatiful BGM...

And first time i feel that Konata's smile during the last photo shot was cute and sweet...although she do smiles during the other episodes,but i dunno why,for this episode,during the last photo shot,her smile is different..sweeeter than before,and make her face looks prettier and more like Kanata.

Seriously,the best episode ever...no doubt about that.KyoAni deserves a praise for a well done job,bringing the mood of the story so well..
Old 2007-09-03, 18:45   Link #44
Omfgbbqwtf

Sniffle~~ Such a nice episode. I love the sudden change of atmosphere. A 10 from me once again. Just two more episodes.. kind of sad
Old 2007-09-03, 18:46   Link #45
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Wow... simply wow...

Look, I'm not the type of guy to be moved by just anything, and in fact it's very rare for me to even get emotional about whatever... But the second section of this episode simply did it. What's funny is that I had been wondering if they'd ever have a little dive on Konata's lack of motherly presence, and I think they did it marvelously in this episode. Not only that, but

Spoiler:

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-03, 18:48   Link #46
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
...I daresay it, but I believe that this episode can stand up against Byousoku 5CM....
I loved all of this ep, especially the Kanata part, but let's not go too far here. Byousoku 5cm is a religious experience.

Guerrand is spoiling me. I've even given up bothering with the Chinese subs, since they come out only a few hours ahead of the English now. Thanks, Guerrand.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-09-03 at 19:03.
Old 2007-09-03, 19:16   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I would not go as far as calling L*S best anime of the year, the anime and 2007 AD being not over yet and we have yet to see how would it stand a second viewing like two years later; and there are Clannad that is around the corner ;p

But I sure got a lot of good moments while watching it.

The emotional moment with Kanata's mom remind us that KyoAni IS the studio that delivered very good drama with Sousuke struggling between his duty and sentiments in Second Raid, and tear-jerking moments in Air and Kanon 2006.
There are a lot more shows out there that I think can be considered contenders than just these 2. Besides one hasn't even aired.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-09-03 at 19:59. Reason: A little harsh and not very considerate. I changed it to be more diplomatic.
Old 2007-09-03, 19:28   Link #48
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Yes clearly Clannad and Lucky Star are the only possible contenders for the best anime of 2007.
Well, I suppose you could interpret it that way, but I just figured he meant that Lucky Star might not even be Kyoto Animation's best series for 2007, never mind best of the year. To be honest, I'd have to guess that Kyoto Animation will take Clannad much more "seriously" than Lucky Star.

Lucky Star is a fine series, and I enjoy the over-the-top self-referential humor, but it's hard to deny that the series has a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" in it, which doesn't go over well with everyone (as the fact that we're even having this discussion would suggest). It also doesn't help that I sometimes think that Kyoto Animation gets both something of a pass from their fans and extra scrutiny from their detractors due to their relatively rapid ascent in popularity.

Clannad will probably get treated much like Kanon did, with much more fidelity to its source material, and assuming the series isn't total crap to begin with, will probably go over much better with a broader audience.

As for the episode itself, the first half was pretty good, but the second part, with Kanata was spot-on. Those bastards at Kyoto Animation sure know how to tug at the heartstrings...
Old 2007-09-03, 19:31   Link #49
wana10

Spoiler for ep22:
Old 2007-09-03, 19:34   Link #50
Steg

Oh wow...

Spoiler for LS 22:
Old 2007-09-03, 19:41   Link #51
himemiya613

this episode made me quite emotional O_O i didnt expect it from an anime like this
Old 2007-09-03, 19:42   Link #52
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Lol. We can depend on Kaioshin to catch any KyoAni-worship that may show up. I thought that what Sheba was saying was that he/she thought it was the best so far, but didn't know if anything better might show up, and just mentioned Clannad as one obvious possibility. Obvious to someone who admires KyoAni, anyway, lol.

I think it's tough to say which anime is the best of a year, since we all like different things. I don't enjoy Gurren-Laggan, but I recognize its excellence. Claymore is another candidate, once again in a genre that isn't my favorite. For me, the top anime of the year is Byousoku 5cm, if movie-length counts. Lucky Star, though, probably comes second. I am a fan of KyoAni and a big fan of Hirano Aya, but I really did not expect this show to be as good as it is.

But nothing this year (except Byousoku) compares for me with the three masterpieces of April 2006: Simoun, NANA, and Suzumiya Haruhi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-09-03, 19:49   Link #53
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Phew... Just watched it a second time, and tears were this close from coming out. By the time
Spoiler:

And yes, I agree. Kanata would have, if not won, at least reached one of the highest positions in the Saimoe if it had aired a couple of weeks ago. However, I'm sure that next year, she will have a better standing. I will be one to vote for her, that's for sure.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-03, 19:57   Link #54
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Makes one really wonder, did Soujirou loved Kanata because he was a lolicon, or was he really a lolicon BECAUSE he loved Kanata? After all, he did say he only turned to gal-games because Kanata wouldn't bat an eyelash towards him. XD

And when Sou started to mention that Kona feels like Kana when he hugs her and thus makes his heart beat faster, that reminded me of Karekano where almost the exact thing happened lol.

The flashback scene was done wonderfully too IMO, with the music and all. Simply beautiful; I'm thankful for KyoAni for doing osana-najimi the justice it deserves. As someone who has childhood friends as his moe element, I'm truly happy.

EDIT
As for best anime of the year, while LS is good, it still can't quite reach up to Nodame Cantabile's level. Not by a long shot. I do recognize that 5cm was very well done, because of my moe tendencies, that movie left in a state of depression for a week lol (which just goes to show how well made it is). But even then, NC still takes the cake for me. Even Higurashi Kai/School days of this season doesn't touch it. However, it's still to early to tell, as fall season has a great lineup: Minami-ke (from the creator of Kyou no Go no Ni), Myself Yourself, Prism Ark, Dragonaut, Shana 2, Gundam 00 (hey don't laugh because I'm a mecha fan XD), Kimikiss, ef, Genshiken 2, DC 2, and Clannad are all shows that have potential that can top NC if done properly, and so are on my 'to watch' list.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2007-09-03 at 20:19.
Old 2007-09-03, 20:11   Link #55
takumi2k4

I can see why Clannad could be a top contender for the best anime of the year, but there's just one problem with it. It's from a game with different endings, if you look closely at the Kanon fanboys, there are still disputes about which ending was really canon or not.

That's my only problem with it, it won't appeal to everybody considering how many Clannad fanboys there are. They will obviously stick to the main arc, which is quite a bummer for some as evidenced by the various eroge adaptation's made.

I really don't understand what's so cool about Gurren-Laggan. I've seen a few episodes of it, but it just drifted off my radar. Which is kinda surprising since I still watch Bleach and Naruto every week! I guess we all do have different tastes.

Lol, anime movie wise, obviously that honor belongs to Byousoku 5CM, no doubt about that, and yeah I do know that the Rebuild of EVA came out a while ago.

But anime series wise, I believe L*S has it already. Many of the anime's who tend to be dramatic rely on violence as an easy way to get it across it's viewers, but with Byousoku 5CM and this episode, violence was not necessary to be dramatic. That's a feat that I believe is pretty hard to accomplish. Even Haruhi had to rely on the violent Shinjin's as a way to resolve a conflict that Haruhi and Kyon was in. And that's coming from a massive Haruhi fanboy.

And I don't mean any offense to the various folks who admire Kanon and Clannad...
Old 2007-09-03, 20:16   Link #56
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
And yes, I agree. Kanata would have, if not won, at least reached one of the highest positions in the Saimoe if it had aired a couple of weeks ago. However, I'm sure that next year, she will have a better standing. I will be one to vote for her, that's for sure.
Let's just pray KyoAni gonna make a second season or an OVA for it,then only we could nominate Kanata and vote again for Lucky Star characters on the next Saimoe 2008...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Makes one really wonder, did Soujirou loved Kanata because he was a lolicon, or was he really a lolicon BECAUSE he loved Kanata? After all, he did say he only turned to gal-games because Kanata wouldn't bat an eyelash towards him. XD
Like Soujiro had said "i'm also lolicon"..coz he love both lolis and normal people..

But that would explain a bit of why Soujirou love Kanata..since Kanata possesing both factors,for being normal person (in terms of age) and for being a loli (in terms of her appearance)..
Old 2007-09-03, 20:27   Link #57
Vestus
Pasokon-Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Vestus
Spoiler for I think I found a character that may surpass my favorite (Minami)::
Old 2007-09-03, 20:30   Link #58
darksider

Well, I've watched and, wow, this episode is extremely hard to rate.
When I first saw the title for this episode I thought
it would be either a true work of art or a miserable disaster,
But I now realized this assumption was not really right...

Spoiler for for my impression on the ep:

Spoiler for for random thoughts:

And last of all, let me say this: Pity that no one here praises Yoshimizu himself!
Old 2007-09-03, 20:39   Link #59
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's a good question. But judging by the fact that he was probably an otaku even before developing passionate feelings for Kanata ( Who knows, though ), I'd say that he was a lolicon from the beginning. And who knows, those might not even be the reasons why he fell in love with her. After all, after this episode and getting a glimpse of her caring, easygoing and lovely personality, I wouldn't know why any other guy wouldn't fall for her.

Quote:
She gives me hope that a loser like me will get a cute quiet girl like her.
I guess that's one of the factors that contribute to my short-lived depression at the moment. It would certainly be great to find someone like her, but I gave up on finding cute, anime-like-kawaii-caring women around me. Maybe if I move to a place where those traits are common, but definitely not around here. And don't let this comment start a discussion, I just wanted to point it out.

I'm uploading that scene on Youtube. I'll post it in a few minutes.

Edit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ev0DtTTsxF8

Here. Now I can watch it anywhere I go.

Last edited by Zero Shinohara; 2007-09-03 at 21:00.
Old 2007-09-03, 20:50   Link #60
Calawain
Gaijin

Is Mojipittan some sort of pop song? I am hardly up on Japanese music aside from anime OSTs.
Closed Thread