AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-02-09, 02:38   Link #22221
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Spoiler for September the Seventh, Day 6, Memories: Flashes in Space (Boredom):
That was a fun flashback ... though I'm feeling a bit leery of the nicknames you have Haruki bestow on Taniguchi and Kunikida. Doesn't he usually just ignore them, rather than demean them? And pinching Taniguchi on the bum ... *waggles hand* I can't quite see it. It'd be a pretty low act for Haruki, in my opinion.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 02:52   Link #22222
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
It'd be a pretty low act for Haruki, in my opinion.
Have you seen the way he treats women in general? Like he says, he only does that to piss her off. He's like those guys in junior high who snapped bras because they got a kick out of it.

Haruki is not a good person. I don't know where you got the idea that he is.

He gets BETTER after Sighs, but... right now, and especially after the high he's coming down off of post-Melancholy, he's a huge, huge, asshole.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 07:16   Link #22223
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

What a deliciously fun flashback!

Quote:

He gets BETTER after Sighs, but... right now, and especially after the high he's coming down off of post-Melancholy, he's a huge, huge, asshole.
I'll say. Asshole doesn't even begin to cover his character.

When girls act the way he does, they are called Genki. When guys act the way he does, they get called Asshole. Sad but true
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 07:37   Link #22224
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Fun scene, I especially loved the opening line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
When girls act the way he does, they are called Genki. When guys act the way he does, they get called Asshole. Sad but true
All part of the Double Standard, which is pretty much what this project is built on.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 08:28   Link #22225
s07195
However,

Double Standard FTW, then.
I was wondering what Kyonko and the girls were talking about, but I was smart enough to check Baka-Tsuki for the re-write.
Great Haruki's point of view though.
Dammit Haruki you perv!
Old 2010-02-09, 09:15   Link #22226
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
And pinching Taniguchi on the bum ... *waggles hand* I can't quite see it. It'd be a pretty low act for Haruki, in my opinion.
Given Haruki's whole perverted asshole routine, this doesn't seem that ooc.

Quote:
Have you seen the way he treats women in general? Like he says, he only does that to piss her off. He's like those guys in junior high who snapped bras because they got a kick out of it.

Well yeah. Haruki is a dick. REALLY big dick...though I'm not sure hise dickery stems from categorizing people like Taniguchi as "whores". He honestly never came off as caring enough about normal people like her to feel anything but annoyance. Haruki just doesn't seem emotionally invested enough in regular people to be vindictive enough to routinely think of her like that. Maybe he'd occasionally upgrade her to bitch if she was being particularly annoying, but Haruki honestly doesn't seem like he cares enough about Taniguchi for that.

And it really doesn't make sense for Kunikida...who has barely interacted with Haruki.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 09:37   Link #22227
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
I'll be sure to be a terrible influence on him, and he'll soon grow up to be exactly like me. This is part of my master plan to surround you with clones of myself so that when it comes time to get married, you'll definitely choose me, hahahahaha!
lol would the CG have a bubble on top of Haruki's head with his little bro looking like Haruki?
Old 2010-02-09, 10:40   Link #22228
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
lol would the CG have a bubble on top of Haruki's head with his little bro looking like Haruki?
Ok, I did find this amusing.

Hmmm, I wonder what Haruki's thoughts will be when we get to Bamboo leaf...

edit:I'm thinking specifically of the wishes that Shaoran put in his version of Bamboo leaf...

Spoiler for bamboo leaf:

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2010-02-09 at 11:10.
Old 2010-02-09, 12:29   Link #22229
GDB

Quote:
Spoiler for September the Seventh, Day 6, Memories: Flashes in Space (Boredom):
This spot is so ripe for a Scooby Doo parody.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 12:46   Link #22230
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

And we would have won the game if it weren't for you meddling kids and your reality hacking alien!

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 13:42   Link #22231
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well yeah. Haruki is a dick. REALLY big dick...though I'm not sure hise dickery stems from categorizing people like Taniguchi as "whores". He honestly never came off as caring enough about normal people like her to feel anything but annoyance. Haruki just doesn't seem emotionally invested enough in regular people to be vindictive enough to routinely think of her like that. Maybe he'd occasionally upgrade her to bitch if she was being particularly annoying, but Haruki honestly doesn't seem like he cares enough about Taniguchi for that.
Haruhi considers Taniguchi a stalker, and has spoken out against him on multiple occasions. Here, Tani-chan is the reason Haruki really started to hate women. (lol five minutes)

Quote:
And it really doesn't make sense for Kunikida...who has barely interacted with Haruki.
He condemns her by association, as well as her fangirling over anything remotely attractive. If Kyonko wasn't part of his brigade/he wasn't in love with her, he'd probably refer to her as "That Bitch Kyon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
All part of the Double Standard, which is pretty much what this project is built on.
Although in this case it's less speaking out against the preferential treatment of men as it is against the preferential treatment of women.

You'll notice that Haruhi gets away with treating men like dirt and generally being a giant, needy bitch, simply because she's cute. I don't particularly like this, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I like this. Let's do that.

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder what Haruki's thoughts will be when we get to Bamboo leaf...
We're not doing the present-day part of Bamboo Leaf, since it isn't important in the least. I already did the 3YA bit, and I'd consider Mysterique Sign a lot more fun to write about anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This spot is so ripe for a Scooby Doo parody.
I try to avoid mentioning Western cartoons too much, since I doubt Haruki would have heard of them.
Old 2010-02-09, 13:50   Link #22232
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
You can't really count on Haruhi/Haruki being unaware of anything even remotely fun ...
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 15:28   Link #22233
luap1138

Once again, you have written an amazing Haruki memory scene. It was both absolutely hilarious and very revealing of Haruki's (and by extension, Haruhi's) character. In fact, I'm guessing thats part of the point of the Memory scenes; to give the reader insight into how Haruki's mind works.

Anyway, great scene.
luap1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 16:31   Link #22234
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Haruhi considers Taniguchi a stalker, and has spoken out against him on multiple occasions.
Well yeah. But I wouldn't have thought of Haruhi hating (or even caring) enough about Taniguchi to warrant those kinds of strong feelings. Generally you don't think of someone casually like that unless you seriously got a big fucking mad on towards them. This goes way beyond disliking someone, or equating this with potatoes.

If you dislike someone this much, you're not gonna want to even be around them.
Quote:
Here, Tani-chan is the reason Haruki
really started to hate women. (lol five minutes)
I have a hard time seeing Haruki being spectacularly more offended by Taniguchi's antics than Haruhi was...unless Female Taniguchi is stupendously more annoying than Male Taniguchi...which is a vibe I haven't gotten.

Due to gender bias, you'd expect the chick to be given a higher tolerance for shenanigans.
Quote:
He condemns her by association, as well as her fangirling over anything remotely attractive. If Kyonko wasn't part of his brigade/he wasn't in love with her, he'd probably refer to her as "That Bitch Kyon".
I guess this is where my interpretation differs. Haruki is a colossal prick who treats other people like crap. But that never seemed because he was personally vindictive about other people by default. It seemed more like he just didn't care about them and considered them a nuisance. Sure he was more directly pissed off if someone was acting as an obstacle towards what he wanted, but other wise it just seemed like he just didn't care.

It also seems to contradict the idea put forward by Koizumi, that Suzumiya not being an inherently malignant individual even when she was in her psycho bitch phase, else reality would probably be a very horrible place.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:03   Link #22235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It also seems to contradict the idea put forward by Koizumi, that Suzumiya not being an inherently malignant individual even when she was in her psycho bitch phase, else reality would probably be a very horrible place.
I never said that Haruki was pure evil, but I did say that he most definitely isn't a good person (yet).

But what-fucking-ever. I guess if it offends you that much I can edit it.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:06   Link #22236
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I never said that Haruki was pure evil, but I did say that he most definitely isn't a good person (yet).
Agreed. By no means a good person. But there are different kinds of "not good persons".

Quote:
But what-fucking-ever. I guess if it offends you that much I can edit it.
...I wasn't trying to come off as pushy, and it's not like it really offended me that much.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:10   Link #22237
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

No, seriously, if you think it's bad I'll change it. That's why I post these up here in the first place.
Old 2010-02-09, 20:11   Link #22238
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Whenever I imagine Haruki laughing, the only thing that comes to mind is Rance. For some odd reason.
Old 2010-02-09, 20:14   Link #22239
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
Whenever I imagine Haruki laughing, the only thing that comes to mind is Rance. For some odd reason.
Same here, actually. Probably because they both believe they're God's gift to the world, and otherwise have very similar personalities. Doesn't help that their hair color is the same and their eyes look similar.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 21:32   Link #22240
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
No, seriously, if you think it's bad I'll change it. That's why I post these up here in the first place.
Alright, cool.

just throwing my 2 cents in.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan