AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-03-15, 00:45   Link #8381
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Many mangas were canned in a worse way (Mz0 anyone?), and still were "justifiable". To consider Negima's situation as unjustifiable is quite an overstatement, but that's just me I guess.
Mx0 was cancelled though. But yeah, I agree. I'm not going to lie, the Festival arc was everything I dislike about harems aside from an annoying tsundere (no Anya? Yay!). But aside from that and randomly skipping over what happened to Nagi, this ending wasn't the worst thing ever.

And because someone posted that trailer, I'm reminded that there needs to be a Negima fighting game for the PS3. Like Ninja Storm Generations, only more fun because it has characters I'm actually a fan of.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 21:32   Link #8382
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
(creeps back in here after days of toiling away on a paper)

.....HAHAHAHA! The rage still burns on! Excellent!
It seems like the fire has cooled somewhat though.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 00:59   Link #8383
Merctrin
Immi

IT'S TOTALLY CANON THAT SETSUNA MARRIED TSUKUYOMI!1!

That help?

As far as the rest of the manga goes... I don't want to speculate too much about why Akamatsu ended the series when he did, but since he was apparently aware for some time that it would be ending this week, I think he could have made better use of the chapters he produced. That said, the ending chapter by itself was relatively satisfying. It just would have been nice to see more of what he says the cast did, especially the events that Negi mentioned on the roster. Actually, most of the issues I have with the ending have to do with the amount of "tell" vs. "show".

Really, I think the only thing that seriously annoyed me about the series overall is that Setsuna and Tsukuyomi never got the page time to show off their one proper fight. ...That, and it not being outright stated that Setsuna and Konoka got together, but for those two, it's easy enough to go with whatever ending you'd prefer. Proper confirmation would have been cool, though.

Actually, wait, one more thing: What happened to Arika?

Last edited by Merctrin; 2012-03-16 at 01:14.
Merctrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 04:22   Link #8384
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
not being outright stated that Setsuna and Konoka got together, but for those two, it's easy enough to go with whatever ending you'd prefer.
In the page where they mention their marriage they even show Setsuna carrying Konoka bridal style, and using actual bridal Kimono, with Setsuna wearing the male one to boot:

All in all, even though we don't have 100% confirmation that they married each other, I don't think there's much room for deniability.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:33   Link #8385
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
they even show Setsuna carrying Konoka bridal style,
That could be a clue, but.....

Quote:
and using actual bridal Kimono, with Setsuna wearing the male one to boot:
No. There is no such thing as a bridal kimono in modern days, although if one wants to be traditional, this is what one would wear:

Pure white.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 12:54   Link #8386
Excelion

Anything else from Ken's twitter about the ending?
Excelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 13:36   Link #8387
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hmm... just read the ending and wondering which one is worse, Shaman King’s initial ending or this .

I wish they would continue this in other media like visual novel, light novel, OVA or something.
Old 2012-03-16, 14:49   Link #8388
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Pure white.
White is not the only one. The one that posted in that image is used too.
Old 2012-03-16, 15:01   Link #8389
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
White is not the only one. The one that posted in that image is used too.
That's not the point. Only the pure white kimono could be considered a bridal kimono, with all others being just regular kimonos used after the actual ceremony itself when greeting guests. In fact, personally I never seen a lavish kimono being used for the wedding. To label what Konoka is wearing as bridal is overinterpretation which has no bases behind it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 15:05   Link #8390
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hmm... just read the ending and wondering which one is worse, Shaman King’s initial ending or this .

I wish they would continue this in other media like visual novel, light novel, OVA or something.
well at least for SK we have true ending 5 years latter (and we gonna to have sequel )

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 15:45   Link #8391
DKN117

Man... Negima, Mass Effect 3... Any other soon-ending series planning to hit us with a sub-par / unresolvant / shitty ending?

(Eyes "Naruto" nervously)
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 17:35   Link #8392
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurush View Post
I'm going to assume that you had no idea when you typed that.
Of course I did, and I stand by my point.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 17:54   Link #8393
ellifeedn
Thinker

Just to sum up everything:

* Negima had an ending that not a lot of people liked.
* Many people blame Akamatsu for the whole thing.
* His editors (obviously) had a part in why the ending sucked for many.
* Much arguing happened.

I don't think Akamatsu should be blamed for everything, but all things considered, he should carry some blame for allowing the ending to turn out like it did.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 21:13   Link #8394
Franckie

The story started transforming into a trainwreck right around ~1/2 way through the Magical World Saga. There is a linear relationship between interest in work and quality of storytelling. Akametsu has had little interest in his work for the past few years, and it only lasted as long as it did because of his editors' meddling. On a side note, Akametsu presumeably had a stressed relationship with the editors, so they'd be a factor in this mess too.
Franckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 13:23   Link #8395
Hata
時の異邦人

parting shot

the last update of Negima secret files, from MNMRI,

when Yue confesses to Negi, the chapter was released on Shonen Magazine on November 16th (2011), which just happen to be Yue's birthday.

the CD Asuna returns to Misa is Kobayashi Yu's (Setsuna) first album "You & Yu", released on March 26th, 2008. which makes it anarchy.
(OT: Kobayashi Yu is quite talented in many different fields, Ken mentions her often in his posts, as Maria also sings the OP Hanaji for Maria Holic, read her bio on wiki sometimes.)

the two new characters Makoto and Kagehisa are named for characters from the manga Blades of Immortal, of Anotsu Kagehisa and Makoto, Blades of Immortal is also where the name Maki (Maki Tachibana) is from.

What Ken is doing now, in his own words, used to be
98% Negima, 2% J-Comi
right now
8% J-Comi, 2% Apple II, 90% resting.

his drinking and his weight has increased, as Ken does not drink when he is working with a deadline. he obviously has increase his dialogues (twitter traffic) with fellow mangaka now that he has time and J-Comi business to talk to them, two notable mangaka (for me) that he talks to lately are Izumi Matsumoto (KOR) and Yui Toshiki, two of my ero starter from my manga reading beginning.

Ken is moving, and I am assuming he is closing down his studio, (he only moves into a new house 2 years ago.) even when there are still works to be done for BK38, for people who don't know, Ken had rented a posh 10th floor office space in downtown Tokyo Shinjuku to be his studio for the past 9 years, he is giving away books and DVD to assistants who wants them, and his senior assistant MH is giving the run of the empty studio to do his own manga to apply to publishers, with screen tones and copy machine at the ready.

right now the biggest thing that occupied most of Ken's time (at least on twitter) is his fight against publishers, which including Kodansha, in trying to impose a new law by creating "neighboring copyright", for people who are not creator but has a hand in "helping" the creation of the work gets automatic right, meaning editors, researchers, printers, etc. or plain speaking, a power grab by the publishers to take right away from the author, this is something VERY SERIOUS and has long unforeseen consequences if pass through, (the publisher can and will go after second hand creation/dojin without need to ask the permission of the author, etc. (it was one of the state benefits of this law) meaning the end of dojinshi as we know it., or after a serial is over the author can not retain exclusive right to it while the publisher can hold onto to it forever to keep making money for itself, etc.) and Japanese works readers (be it novel or manga) need to pay attention to this development just like the Tokyo Child Protection law,
Old 2012-03-19, 20:13   Link #8396
APNki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post

right now the biggest thing that occupied most of Ken's time (at least on twitter) is his fight against publishers, which including Kodansha, in trying to impose a new law by creating "neighboring copyright", for people who are not creator but has a hand in "helping" the creation of the work gets automatic right, meaning editors, researchers, printers, etc. or plain speaking, a power grab by the publishers to take right away from the author, this is something VERY SERIOUS and has long unforeseen consequences if pass through, (the publisher can and will go after second hand creation/dojin without need to ask the permission of the author, etc. (it was one of the state benefits of this law) meaning the end of dojinshi as we know it., or after a serial is over the author can not retain exclusive right to it while the publisher can hold onto to it forever to keep making money for itself, etc.) and Japanese works readers (be it novel or manga) need to pay attention to this development just like the Tokyo Child Protection law,
I believe that this post that Ken made on his Tumblr account goes into a more detailed explanation of the new "neighboring copyright" law here: http://kenakamatsu.tumblr.com/post/19395239269/rinsetsu
APNki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 21:35   Link #8397
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

White wedding gowns are only to be used (traditionally) if the bride is a virgin. Otherwise off-whites are used a lot, as are light pinks, light blues, and light yellow.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:21   Link #8398
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Could someone please explain this in layman's term for me?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 08:49   Link #8399
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Japanese publishers want their copyright laws to be more like western publishers where they hold all power over the product in question and anything made by third parties (doujins, figurines, AMV's etc.) are violation of copyright and suable.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 08:52   Link #8400
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ What Hata is trying to say is if anyone is involved in the production of a series they can claim the right to own that series (hell, even someone who gave a pen to an inker has a claim), but the big problem with that is that the publishers can claim any series as their own through the barest of connections and take that series away from the original creator. Oh, and since they are the owners, they can stop any doujin that's made with any characters from the series they own.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy