AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-04, 10:24   Link #21
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
~
As for a deus-ex machine ending ... saa... they pulled one in Kanon, and people are mostly happy about it, so even those can be done well i suppose
Spoiler for off-topic reply:

~~~~ ~~~~

In sola's case, one of the main themes is that of loneliness. Given what we have been exposed to so far, it would seem that the characters are going to overcome their issues of loneliness, which points to happy ending (but hold the champagne there, boys and girls).

In the very beginning, I expected a tragic ending, but as I started to watch more and more episodes, I realised that the chances of heading to a happy ending were actually steadily increasing. This does not totally dismiss the prospects of a sobfest ending though. Either one would fit at this point.

As for another theme in sola for people to chew on and think about, it is the theme of forgiveness. I leave it to you to ponder on how this theme applies to each character individually.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-04, 10:44   Link #22
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
In sola's case, one of the main themes is that of loneliness. Given what we have been exposed to so far, it would seem that the characters are going to overcome their issues of loneliness, which points to happy ending (but hold the champagne there, boys and girls).

In the very beginning, I expected a tragic ending, but as I started to watch more and more episodes, I realised that the chances of heading to a happy ending were actually steadily increasing. This does not totally dismiss the prospects of a sobfest ending though. Either one would fit at this point.

As for another theme in sola for people to chew on and think about, it is the theme of forgiveness. I leave it to you to ponder on how this theme applies to each character individually.

Cheers.
I kinda agree about the ending ... i expected a tearjerker from the day one, and still expect it now ... but the possibility of a happy end has steadily grown imo. At least thats my gut-feeling ... besides, Matsuri needs at least something good to happen for her ... else i will chew on some one's head.

Another interesting question would be - do we expect all the characters to make it trough ? ... somehow i can see Aono not making it (but that might be my hate for her talking, so who knows ). Her character just seems set up for a tragedy one way or another. The whole situation with her obsessiveness over Yorito needs a closure, and i just can't picture her letting go of her feelings.

Though one can never know what can happen in some spontaneous decision. I can imagine her sacrificing herself for Yorito's sake one way or another. (She doesn't want to live in a world without Yorito, so if Yorito were to die/be in mortal danger by some twist of fate...)

Gah. The hamster in my brain comes to a halt whenever i try to form some theories about this show. Thats a good thing i suppose - everything can go either way, and it certainly isn't predictable. Not even the roles all the characters are going to play in the end. Though assuming that Aono sees teh light in the end (and i don't mean her turning in to a pile of rubble), i can easily see Koyori having something to do with it. Then again i could be way out in the left field again.
Old 2007-06-04, 10:50   Link #23
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
I may be Out of course...

Spoiler for About Aono's "Illness" and Yorito:

Right now my head hurts need to complete my story later

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2007-06-04, 10:58   Link #24
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu Aoi View Post
I may be Out of course...

I think Yorito is just an ordinary person with the resemblence of the 1st Yorito or migth be a posible descendant...
As for Aono maybe she used a lot of power just to alter people mind to made them think that She is Yorito's sister in that case that might be the cause of her temporary power loss :/

Right now my head hurts need to complete my story later
Whatever Yorito might be, i think him being just an ordinary guy without any connection to the past Yorito is not possible - his sky obsession and same promise made to Matsuri hints at this. One way or another, he must have some connection to him, be it the same soul/him actually being the old Yorito revived/Daywalker yaka with suppressed memories/anything.

I think
Old 2007-06-04, 11:05   Link #25
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Daywalker Yaka?.....

*thinks, thinks, thinks,*

*smoke coming out of the head*

Hahaha

Hmmm... Maybe i'll think Yorito has a connection of the 1st. "if" he dreams that he saw Aono and Matsuri in the past or somthing....

But What would happen if Yorito is just a normal Random guy who's obsessed in taking pictures of the skies :/

P.S. Maybe your right

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2007-06-04, 13:18   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Not me (I wonder how long before a certain somebody latches on this. I swear he's like a bloodhound at these things. I am hesitant to criticise at times, because he tends to take my arguments and either blow them out of proportion or out of relevant context). I could accept it, and they did retcon a lot of things in order to make it work, but it was still a blatant "Deus ex Machina" ending. The keyword here being, "blatant". Shiori's monologue on the matter alone more or less shows this.
Looks like your chowing on the magical-review-biscuit~
Oh the old days, I remember when I used to review the series, but then I saw Pelly's episode-series-reviews who, while different then mine, were.. well they were something~ they really discouraged me from reviewing episodes, series, characters etc. Sorry Pell xP

Pelly was a real influence on my views on how I should rate a series, I'm currently leaning to the opinion that a series is best judged by the communities response~ (note: not exactly opinion~) If more people contradict each other in views of the show, or like different things in the show then it's a ten otherwise it's average or bellow average. Regardless of brilliance or if the story is just more dumb-luck then anything. At the moment my opinion is good shows don't have to be "good" or "critiques approved".

Though your episode reviews are kinda making me reconsider ~ now don't let that go to your head, I still wouldn't give them a ten for various reasons, like fines. Maybe after you refine your review technique...
Whatever Yorito might be, i think him being just an ordinary guy without any connection to the past Yorito is not possible - his sky obsession and same promise made to Matsuri hints at this. One way or another, he must have some connection to him, be it the same soul/him actually being the old Yorito revived/Daywalker yaka with suppressed memories/anything.

I think
Doesn't the term day-waling-yaka sound wrong.. I mean it's like saying a day-time-only-night-crawler.
BTW, what is the full real-life reference for yaka~
Old 2007-06-04, 13:32   Link #27
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Doesn't the term day-waling-yaka sound wrong.. I mean it's like saying a day-time-only-night-crawler.
day-time-only-night-crawler would imply that he can operate only at day, but that is not the case

Well, we have daywalker Vampires in fiction, so might as well have a daywalker yaka I mean - it is possible that Yorito is some big, old and powerful Yaka that has overcome the only natural weakness of his race ... right ? ... nop, i don't think so myself either

I only used the daywalker as an example to show the point that Yorito must be connected to the past one in some way (imo), whatever that way might be
Old 2007-06-04, 14:11   Link #28
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
BTW, what is the full real-life reference for yaka~
vampire?

~ they cant walk in the sun (except daywalkers)

~ they fry in the sun (yea aono burst into flames )

~ they can turn others into their own kind (not revival though)

~ havent seen matsuri sux blood yet but she is drinking something red

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-04, 14:29   Link #29
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

Perhaps, Matsuri hasn't neglected on her classic reading? I'm sure the similarity between her and a vampire isn't lost on her, so why not drink some red-stuff, while at the same time, one gets to kick that unruly vending machine. Btw, until the vending machine was discovered, was she sinking her teeth onto tomatoes like everyone else instead of popping a can?

Quote:
Spoiler for off-topic reply:
Old 2007-06-04, 14:51   Link #30
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

In what way does drinking Tomato juice = vampire ? 0_o ... besides, weren't vamipres supposed to be incapable of eating normal food ? She has no problems in that regard. Besides, their abilities are nothing like the ones traditionally associated with Vampires.

They share some similarities, but are not the same, obviously.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:10   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
vampire?

~ they cant walk in the sun (except daywalkers)

~ they fry in the sun (yea aono burst into flames )

~ they can turn others into their own kind (not revival though)

Never thought of that ~ Mmm.. you gave the modern day characteristics.
The old school definition fits better ~ me thinks.
  • A vampire is a child traumatized or scared (disgusting in some way)
  • They are immortal corpses which can't survive in the daylight with the heart as the only vital point.
  • They generally poses some powers and are evil by definition.
    The most frequent of these is the shape shifting ability.
    Note that in original Vampire and Werewolf are one and the same. There is no distinction.
  • A vampire is bound by certain rules. Some are very stupid, but this is ancient folklore, stories carried on by story telling and nothing more.
    One such rule, it can not enter one's house without permission.

There are other things, if you see a vampire you won't give birth, if you see a vampire when you are pregnant then you will give birth to a vampire etc. Sorry no blood sucking or garlic in the old stories, this is later Hollywood eye-candy.

I don't recall anything about turning people into their slaves but I think there was a way were they (vampires) could turn somebody into a vampire.
Can't rememeber at the moment.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:34   Link #32
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

^ well if you think aono isnt matsuri's slave...shes another yaka *cough vampire* with free will
Quote:
In what way does drinking Tomato juice = vampire ? 0_o ... besides, weren't vamipres supposed to be incapable of eating normal food ? She has no problems in that regard. Besides, their abilities are nothing like the ones traditionally associated with Vampires.

They share some similarities, but are not the same, obviously.
you! of all people have no right to be saying that...after playing on tsukihime for so long you still are saying that vampires cant eat food? arc must be spinning in her grave

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2007-06-04, 20:04   Link #33
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
~
Gah. The hamster in my brain comes to a halt whenever i try to form some theories about this show. Thats a good thing i suppose - everything can go either way, and it certainly isn't predictable. Not even the roles all the characters are going to play in the end. Though assuming that Aono sees teh light in the end (and i don't mean her turning in to a pile of rubble), i can easily see Koyori having something to do with it. Then again i could be way out in the left field again.
I am willing to wager that it will be Koyori that turns around Aono. Given all the Aono and Koyori interactions that we have been shown, it is the most logical conclusion at this point. Of ALL the characters that we have been shown, Koyori is the ONLY one in which Aono has a healthy relationship with (Mana is more of a casual acquaintance than a "close friend").

The true test will come when Koyori decides to confront Aono for the truth. I "foresee" tearful "loli-eyes" and trembling voices. Aono's defences will probably crumble faster than "Mayuko in the sun".

If Koyori ends up doing NOTHING in the conclusion of Aono's story, my jaw will unhinge from disbelief, due to the rendered meaningless of Ep04 and various other scenes. I want a Chekhov's Gun, not a Red Herring.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-05, 00:26   Link #34
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I am willing to wager that it will be Koyori that turns around Aono. Given all the Aono and Koyori interactions that we have been shown, it is the most logical conclusion at this point. Of ALL the characters that we have been shown, Koyori is the ONLY one in which Aono has a healthy relationship with (Mana is more of a casual acquaintance than a "close friend").
Add Aono's chibi-inner-self to the equation and Kayori's chances as the heroine of the show double
Old 2007-06-06, 03:23   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Mayuko said a stranger said she turned into a yaka not that the stranger turned her into one, I think it's reasonable to believe she might have gone a more natural way towards being a yaka.
Old 2007-06-06, 07:16   Link #36
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

or you could interpret it as the stranger turning aono into a yaka and then saying that "she turn into a yaka" in that context...its just the way people speak :3

Old 2007-06-10, 03:58   Link #37
JediNight
キズランダム

I've seen some speculation that there may be some deus ex machina character coming before the end of the show. I originally was going to dismiss that, but the Cross Contents section of the official site has been reconsidering.

There are 7 main characters to the show of course, but on the Cross Contents page there are *8* character tabs, with the 8th one saying basically "Character icon hidden". Which makes you wonder who that 8th character is going to be. Unless they plan on putting Sae there, we don't really have any other character that's been featured enough in the show yet. And considering Sae is lumped into the "Classmates" category on the regular area, I doubt its her.
Old 2007-06-10, 04:01   Link #38
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
It could point out to the 'other Yaka' that some of us here have been talking about, since it has been speculated several times that another Yaka (other than Matsuri or Aono) is the one that revived Mayuko.

Anyway, if that happens, things could get even more interesting than now.
Old 2007-06-10, 08:41   Link #39
Slice of Life
eyewitness

With only 3 TV episodes to go, is anyone willing to speculate on the nature of the DVD-only episodes? The possibilities I see at the moment are (in order of likeliness):

1. Flashback I: Matsuri, Yorito, and Aono's past.
2. An "ending after the ending" of whatever shape and form
3. Flashback II: Hige and Gothloli's past.
4. Unrelated filler.

I'm willing to bet some money on 1 and I think 4 is rather unlikely due to the nature of the show. 2 and 3 are a close call.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2007-06-10 at 11:34.
Old 2007-06-12, 02:09   Link #40
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
There are 7 main characters to the show of course, but on the Cross Contents page there are *8* character tabs, with the 8th one saying basically "Character icon hidden".
That's weird... On the Cross Contents page I can also see one blank tab, but it is the first one, not the eighth one. And it simply says "Please click on the icon of the character whom you would like to see." Do you mean another page?
Closed Thread