AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 18:06   Link #321
HandofFate

Spoiler for comparison to the novels; reply to Adigard:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 19:59.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:11   Link #322
Adigard

Spoiler for comparison to the novels; reply to HandofFate:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 20:00.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:15   Link #323
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But as you said, the whole "cheater" point is stupid as hell. In fact, this kind of information should probably be avaiable to anyone having a brain and checking bulletin board or anything reporting info from a beta (considering SAO fame in the setup, you would definitely expect players raving about the exposed content from the beta etc).
While I agree with your sentiment (I also found the whole "cheater" idea very flawed), I expect many players (whether in this series or in real life) use an online guide or forum separate from an in-universe tutorial in order to gain an idea of how a game works or the stats for characters (etc). In other words, I would expect many players would be looking for cheat-codes, wikis, and other similar non-game based informational tools, and since they are cut-off from such tools some could blame those that already have the tools at hand.

That being said, the idea of information brokers has been brought up, and I hope this is expanded on in the future.

Additionally, and this is a side question for all, where are the NPCs? Are do MMOs not have NPCs?

Also, I know there were 1000 beta-testers and 10,000 copies of the game when the game started, but I am unsure how many total players there were. Specifically, were their 10,000 total players including the bet testers (so 9,000 regular gamers and 1,000 beta testers), or were their 11,000 players including the beta-testers?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:18   Link #324
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additionally, and this is a side question for all, where are the NPCs? Are do MMOs not have NPCs?
We saw NPC's in ep1 as Kirito ran out of town. We definitely should see more as the story progresses, but I'm guessing the bazaar's we saw in ep2 were player-run. The NPC's are an interesting subplot in the SAO LN storyline (IMO).

Quote:
Also, I know there were 1000 beta-testers and 10,000 copies of the game when the game started, but I am unsure how many total players there were. Specifically, were their 10,000 total players including the bet testers (so 9,000 regular gamers and 1,000 beta testers), or were their 11,000 players including the beta-testers?
There were 1,000 beta testers... however many of the beta testers probably did not spend as much time in-game as Kirito did. he mentioned in EP1 that he was on break (IIRC?) and basically did nothing but eat/sleep/SAO. There were 10,000 players logged into SAO before the 'tutorial', there were probably some very happy beta testers who didn't log in before the tutorial, figuring they'd log in a little later on, once the day one bugs were ironed out. SAO at the credit roll in EP1 should have had a population of 10,000 - 213.
Old 2012-07-15, 18:27   Link #325
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
While I agree with your sentiment (I also found the whole "cheater" idea very flawed), I expect many players (whether in this series or in real life) use an online guide or forum separate from an in-universe tutorial in order to gain an idea of how a game works or the stats for characters (etc). In other words, I would expect many players would be looking for cheat-codes, wikis, and other similar non-game based informational tools, and since they are cut-off from such tools some could blame those that already have the tools at hand.

That being said, the idea of information brokers has been brought up, and I hope this is expanded on in the future.

1000 beta testers and 9000 new players. As for the info broker...

Spoiler for Information broker...:
Old 2012-07-15, 19:51   Link #326
Xaturas

Quote:
You didn't watch carefully did you. There was a scene in town where mother was walking with her child. I was like WOOOT why you bring such npc's interaction.

As for the dead dude, dunno if you people don't watch carefully or just my subs were better.
But the dude said clearly "you know why I attacked last", you can easily deduce that he was after last hit bonus items, and heck I'm anime only viewer [cut]

Last edited by james0246; 2012-07-15 at 22:50. Reason: please do not provide hints...
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:14   Link #327
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just so people know, I'm posting this without having read through the rest of the thread yet, and I'm also an anime-only viewer.

Ok, what I liked about this episode:

1. The artwork, animation, and directing (including character designs).

2. The voice-acting.

3. The BGM.

4. The action scenes.

These four in particular reminded me a lot of Fate/Zero, and that's a definite plus for me. Moving on...

5. The way Kirito and Asuna met each other. It felt naturalistic to me, especially since...

6. Asuna is trying to avoid much contact with others, probably due to her gender. I like how SAO is brutally honest about the sort of grief that female players can sometimes face in MMOs.

7. The overall chemistry between Kirito and Asuna.

8. Diabel's character. Good, tragic hero. I liked how he tried to do the common sense thing here, and get everybody working as a well-structured team.

What I didn't like:

1. I think that I get what they're going for with Beaters/Beta-Testers vs. Newbies, but it kind of fell flat to me. I know they need some drama/dissension within the ranks so everything doesn't feel too smooth, but I found the overall execution of this aspect of it a bit clunky and hard to swallow. In fairness, I've definitely seen worse.

2. After Kirito put on the whole "I'm going to act like a smug villain" display, I was kind of hoping he'd go full-Lelouch Lamperouge and try to make himself a charismatic and powerful leader. Instead, the way that whole display was handled made it feel a bit pointless to me... unless the whole point was simply turning people off from him. And if that's it, it's not exactly the most likeable characterization to be giving our male lead protagonist. What exacerbates this for me is the example that Diabel had just finished giving Kirito. So Kirito admires Diabel for caring about others, and then... he decides to act like Light Yagami? That all seemed a bit odd to me.

Overall, what I liked significantly outweighed what I disliked, and so I rate this episode a 8/10.
Old 2012-07-15, 21:31   Link #328
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just so people know, I'm posting this without having read through the rest of the thread yet, and I'm also an anime-only viewer.

Ok, what I liked about this episode:

1. The artwork, animation, and directing (including character designs).

2. The voice-acting.

3. The BGM.

4. The action scenes.

These four in particular reminded me a lot of Fate/Zero, and that's a definite plus for me. Moving on...

5. The way Kirito and Asuna met each other. It felt naturalistic to me, especially since...

6. Asuna is trying to avoid much contact with others, probably due to her gender. I like how SAO is brutally honest about the sort of grief that female players can sometimes face in MMOs.

7. The overall chemistry between Kirito and Asuna.

8. Diabel's character. Good, tragic hero. I liked how he tried to do the common sense thing here, and get everybody working as a well-structured team.

What I didn't like:

1. I think that I get what they're going for with Beaters/Beta-Testers vs. Newbies, but it kind of fell flat to me. I know they need some drama/dissension within the ranks so everything doesn't feel too smooth, but I found the overall execution of this aspect of it a bit clunky and hard to swallow. In fairness, I've definitely seen worse.

2. After Kirito put on the whole "I'm going to act like a smug villain" display, I was kind of hoping he'd go full-Lelouch Lamperouge and try to make himself a charismatic and powerful leader. Instead, the way that whole display was handled made it feel a bit pointless to me... unless the whole point was simply turning people off from him. And if that's it, it's not exactly the most likeable characterization to be giving our male lead protagonist. What exacerbates this for me is the example that Diabel had just finished giving Kirito. So Kirito admires Diabel for caring about others, and then... he decides to act like Light Yagami? That all seemed a bit odd to me.

Overall, what I liked significantly outweighed what I disliked, and so I rate this episode a 8/10.
Spoiler for comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 23:22. Reason: I added spoiler tags... but was it really necessary to reply to his post with spoilers?
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:36   Link #329
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Busy weekends mean I haven't had the chance to dig into the LNs yet, so for the time being, I'm anime-only. Having read through much of this thread, here are some of the things that didn't come through very clearly to me:

- As plenty AO viewer questions suggest, the handling of Diabel's death made his actions pretty incomprehensible. Remember, this is the first time we've seen a health potion, and we haven't been told how they work. Also, his HP appeared to still be depleting. With this information, all I could conclude was that after bravely and competently leading a multi group raid, he got greedy and tried to KS the boss. Immediately wracked by guilt, he chose to die rather than live with his e-crime. In short: What an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up.

- The interaction with Asuna did indeed feel like it had been compressed. However, it hardly seemed like anything major had been cut. There's lots of time to dig into her story, and quite frankly, because of this thread, I know more than I want to already.

- I still don't get how "switching" works, and I suspect I would if I read the novels. Here's my guess: It's basically someone blowing their specials, and jousting out while someone whose cooldowns are ready takes their place in order to chain attacks, and protect players who are vulnerable during their own cooldowns. If I'm even close, I should say the only reason for that is that I've dabbled in MMOs since EQ1. Otherwise I'd be completely lost on this tactic.

- I worked out what Kirito's whole beater schtick was about, but only after the credits started to roll. I had to work backwards to figure it out. They could have made it clearer that there was some tension between beta testers and newbies besides that one loud, obnoxious dude. Have some testers been lynched or something? That didn't come across at all.

Having said all that, the pacing didn't seem off to me, having not read the LNs. Honestly, if we were going into episode 3 and still on the first floor, I think I'd rage pretty hard. Asuna's story can wait. Not everything has to be animated in exact chronological order.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:44   Link #330
Ferp

I went into this show imagining it would be just awesome. The show is based around my favourite genres, yet I think it's pretty bad. This episode felt rushed, although the boss battle animation was pretty good and rather exciting. The main character has no depth at all and is just some lonely kid who wont admit it with a superiority complex.
Ferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:45   Link #331
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferp View Post
The main character has no depth at all and is just some lonely kid who wont admit it with a superiority complex.
Someone missed a few clues I think
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:46   Link #332
justsomeguy

Spoiler for information about current episode from the novels; reply to ThereminVox:

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 23:24. Reason: Added spoiler tags for novel information
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:00   Link #333
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
- I still don't get how "switching" works, and I suspect I would if I read the novels. Here's my guess: It's basically someone blowing their specials, and jousting out while someone whose cooldowns are ready takes their place in order to chain attacks, and protect players who are vulnerable during their own cooldowns. If I'm even close, I should say the only reason for that is that I've dabbled in MMOs since EQ1. Otherwise I'd be completely lost on this tactic.
Spoiler for Information from the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 23:25.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:27   Link #334
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Ah....if there's one cliche I'll never tire of, it's the badass long cloak

I liked this episode much more than the first. My favorite parts were Kirito and Asuna's interactions. There were both cute how quickly they scooted around on the benches. Kirito's nervousness about being in a party was cute too. XD
His fake "I'm a jerk" display was pretty cool as well. While characters doing this to protect others hardly ever works, I still find it noble...even if it's a bit stupid. But in this case I think it worked on everyone but Asuna....and if it had worked on her, I'd be disappointed in her perception. The two already seem to understand each other, if only a tiny bit.
*waves a shipper flag*

That loud, mean guy was kinda unfair to him, I thought, saying things like that. Kirito DID try to warn the other player-he just didn't make it in time! Duh, that should have been obvious!

Quote:
A bit of advice. Try to read between the lines to see why he acted the way he acted
THIS.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:55   Link #335
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
His fake "I'm a jerk" display was pretty cool as well. While characters doing this to protect others hardly ever works, I still find it noble...even if it's a bit stupid.
If Kirito truly wants to protect others, he should share his knowledge of the game with others.

Kirito could have also just calmly explained that the game had been changed since it was beta tested. That this 1st Boss had been given a different weapon than what it had in the beta testing. It's not an unreasonable explanation, and in fact, it's the truth.

If people accepted that truth then they'd realize that beta-testers don't necessarily have it all that much better than the newbies, because some of what the beta-testers went through has been changed. This would bring the two sides (beta-testers and newbies) closer together as the differences between them would be lessened.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:55   Link #336
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferp View Post
I went into this show imagining it would be just awesome. The show is based around my favourite genres, yet I think it's pretty bad. This episode felt rushed, although the boss battle animation was pretty good and rather exciting. The main character has no depth at all and is just some lonely kid who wont admit it with a superiority complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
A bit of advice. Try to read between the lines to see why he acted the way he acted

Do not feed the trolls
Old 2012-07-15, 23:08   Link #337
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Do not feed the trolls

Ahahahaha Nice pic

I do agree that an explanation does work to solve the problem more concretely if it's effective but when a stupid jerk (*KibaOu Actually translates to "Fang King" BTW) agitates an already agitated crowd who knows what would happen? Ohers would undoubtedly see reason but what about the rest who're already not thinking clearly? Mass hysteria isn't easily diffused by calm explanations. Granted that the written SS does portray things in a darker, more drastic light w/ people actually hinting PK executions.
Old 2012-07-15, 23:29   Link #338
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, just stop. I am locking this thread temporarily until we deal with this spoiler issue.

If any anime-only viewer posts their thoughts and speculation about what happened in the episode, this is not a invitation for all the novel readers to jump in and tell them what they missed, or why they're wrong, or what the proper interpretation is, or to hint "oh you may need to pay more attention here". Your job is not to "correct" anime viewers to make sure they know everything you know as a novel reader. To be blunt: go away. Let people have the privilege of discovering the story on their own. If people want to read the novel, let them read the novel. If people don't want to read the novel, you don't need to fill them in on every little damn thing they missed. You may think you're doing them a favour, but you're not. If people want to ask spoiler questions, they know where to go.

So for now, this thread is locked because I'm sick and tired of adding spoiler tags to posts when the spoilers and comparisons are totally uncalled for anyway. The thread will be re-opened once a clarification of the spoiler policy has been posted.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-16 at 00:26.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 07:30   Link #339
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As I alluded to above, we have now put together a post that clarifies the Spoiler Policy and we are looking for any comments about areas that are still confusing or unclear. Please review the thread and provide any questions you have. After a time when everyone has had the chance to review the policy, it will take effect (with strict enforcement) and we will re-open this thread for further conversation.
Old 2012-07-17, 00:46   Link #340
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, thanks to everyone who reviewed and commented on the policy clarification. This is to let everyone know that the stricter punishments based on the clarified rules will take effect now, as I re-open this Episode 2 thread, and these rules will apply throughout this sub-forum (and growing to the entire forum progressively).

If you haven't read it yet -- even anime-only viewers -- I recommend you read it to make sure you know what is and isn't allowed. If you encounter any post that breaks the rules, please let us know by reporting the post. Please don't be concerned about "getting someone else in trouble" because the staff will review each report, and make their own determination. In addition, we will be browsing the threads regularly to spot issues on our own. Your cooperation will just help things go more quickly and result in less of a Forum mess to clean-up. And as a reminder, please don't reply to spoiler posts in the open either; if you want to give someone a warning, consider VM or PM.

Anyway, now back to the regularly-scheduled discussion of Episode 2.

Tags
weekly episode discussion