AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-07, 11:31   Link #4461
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndqanh_vn View Post
Us fan are free to have dream, but let's face the truth: the question is not which studio are going to adapt Chiru, or how they would adapt it, but whether it is going to have an adaption or not.D ue to the poor sale of the first season DVD and the confusing nature of the stories later on (it became too meta now), I doubt Deen would ever give it an adaption, and I don't believe any of other studios would be interested in it.

Which is a shame, I always want to see Dlanor IN ANIME.

Maybe it's just me, though. Exactly how big is the Umineko fanbase in Japan? My friend came to comiket and told me it's not very popular...
I heard the whole "there will be no Chiru anime due to shitty sales" thing is just a rumor based on unreliable numbers. But don't take my word for it.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2011-01-08, 10:24   Link #4462
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdabern View Post
That is not the only porblem.Episode 7 as a whole would be REALLY HARD to turn into an anime.I mean since it would have to be separated into episodes it would turn out pretty boring.In the vn you read all the answers(almost) in a fantastic way but mostly because fo the good way it was given to us.How could it be done?How could they do the whole theatre thing without making it ridiculus?And how about the connection between ep 6 and 7?And the theatregoing abillity?And the flashbacks?And yasu's story?And the tea party?Connecting them is one thing and if it was a movie it would be hard but plausible but separating it into episodes without any particular climaxin any of them but the last ones?All of this would need A REALLY GOOD DIRECTOR and i am afraid that not many of them choose to work on VNs.I would be interested in ep 5 and 6 though............
Would the same difficulties apply to EP8? Or be even harder? Would one hour OVAs for each Chiru EP be a viable alternative to a new series?
Old 2011-01-08, 11:07   Link #4463
lambdabern
Magical Cheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
Would the same difficulties apply to EP8? Or be even harder? Would one hour OVAs for each Chiru EP be a viable alternative to a new series?
It would probably be more plausible yes.But i don't really think that after the failure of the first season they will attempt another one.Oh well one can dream!
Old 2011-01-08, 13:59   Link #4464
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
One Hour OVAs for each episode? GOD NO. The anime tried to cram EPs into roughly three hours of content and it still didn't work.
Old 2011-01-08, 14:04   Link #4465
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
One Hour OVAs for each episode? GOD NO. The anime tried to cram EPs into roughly three hours of content and it still didn't work.
Each character gets approximately 5 minutes of screentime! No thanks.

If they tried a movie, it wouldn't be long enough.
If they tried an anime, it would rely too much on the end of the series and have boring episodes.

As for Yasu, they can just make an intentionally androgynous character with blonde hair. Give her a little kid's voice to mask the gender and you're set.

I personally don't think an Umineko Chiru anime is a good idea, but I hope they make it anyway so I can see my favorite scenes animated
Old 2011-01-08, 15:44   Link #4466
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Yea, I'm already predicting that Lion is going to be a disaster.
Old 2011-01-08, 16:38   Link #4467
kamuinoyume
OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

I still want them to make an anime, because, as enjoyable as the VN was, the fighting scenes were horrible to read about (for those, I'd prefer flashy animations rather then text). Not to mention the fact that I want to see how Will and Lion will look animated.
Old 2011-01-08, 17:41   Link #4468
immblueversion

Quote:
Lion, a disaster? I have two words for you.

Spoiler for And they are:

Last edited by immblueversion; 2011-01-08 at 17:54.
Old 2011-01-08, 18:01   Link #4469
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuinoyume View Post
I still want them to make an anime, because, as enjoyable as the VN was, the fighting scenes were horrible to read about
What!? BLASPHEMY!

Quote:
Episode 7 is more Slice of life than mystery most of the time. I dunno they might adapt Lion okay if they do it like that.

Another thing is DEEN might not want to do Chiru because one of the things they had a lot of fun with was messing with the horror/murder aspects of the series like they did in Higurashi. And Chiru practically spells out for you that it doesn't intend to focus on that at the very beginning.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:11   Link #4470
ndqanh_vn

Quote:
Another thing is DEEN might not want to do Chiru because one of the things they had a lot of fun with was messing with the horror/murder aspects of the series like they did in Higurashi. And Chiru practically spells out for you that it doesn't intend to focus on that at the very beginning.
Honestly...does anybody see any hope for a Chiru adaption?...

Quote:
Don't look down on Japanese. they will make a good ambigous-gender Leon if they want....Those kinds of character exists in many anime...
Old 2011-01-08, 21:16   Link #4471
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Higurashi Kai was less about horror than the first season...

Old 2011-01-08, 21:34   Link #4472
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Honestly...does anybody see any hope for a Chiru adaption?...
*raises hand*

Really, I just expect it to happen eventually.
Old 2011-01-08, 22:39   Link #4473
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Higurashi Kai was less about horror than the first season...
But it was still there.

Higurashi Kai's adaptation was also a goddamn abortion of an anime.
Old 2011-01-08, 23:06   Link #4474
immblueversion

Quote:
But it was still there.

Higurashi Kai's adaptation was also a goddamn abortion of an anime.
And yet the people who never read the sound novel don't care because they're none the wiser.

Guess it sucks to be someone who had read it.

Old 2011-01-08, 23:15   Link #4475
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

And because people never read the sound novel, those people missed out on a good chunk of the plot and Rei ended up making zero fucking sense and they got a cheap ending that wasn't as satisfying as it could've been.

And that's not even taking into Umineko's importance on how plot points can rely on exact and specific wording or imagery and doesn't allow even a tenth of the type of flexibility other franchises would for an anime adaptation.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:36   Link #4476
Kylon99

What this needs is a director who isn't afraid of taking apart the episodes and laying down a different order for the stories... sorta like the changes for the LoTR movie. You weren't going to make the audience sit through 30 mins of discussion about what to do with the ring. 8) But this would lead to a lot of complaints and grumbling by fans, for sure.

For example, you might want to take EP7, and break the two stories down into parts, and intersperse them between the stories of EP5 and 6. Etc.

So it takes a very, very skilled director, to look carefully at the story, extract the themes, the message. This is NOT... Chiaki Kon.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:36   Link #4477
TJR

Quote:
Exactly how big is the Umineko fanbase in Japan? My friend came to comiket and told me it's not very popular...
The initial manga volumes sold around 100,000 copies each, so it's a popular title. However, subsequent volumes sold less (hovers around the 40,000 to 50,000 mark now, which is still fine), so I don't know if the staying power is as strong as one might hope.

As for the Deen perspective, I think people overestimate the importance of Umineko. DVD sales have no immediate impact on the studio since they never invested in the first place. If the show succeeds, Deen's reputation for producing hits improves and the demand for their services might increase. If it fails, they risk pissing off a client. Nevertheless, in either scenario, they lose money if they spend beyond the allotted budget (even if Frontier Works were to sell a million DVDs), which was probably pretty low.

At the end of the day, Umineko is just a filler project. Deen churns out loads of these (Umineko would've started at a time when there was no shortage of projects, but even now, Deen doesn't seem to be in need of work. They're very successful with fujoshi shows, and Unlimited Blade Works proves that they can pull off a popular, big budget otaku movie. In particular, the latter has far greater impact on future business than Umineko, especially when the industry is shifting toward theatrical features) at low cost, and they only need a few hits to prove to investors that they can make money for them.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:38   Link #4478
KoiYuki

What I'd do for Yasu would be:

A) You see everything from her visual POV, and see words when she speaks, but other characters are voiced.

B) Again, her POV, with the voice of Beatrice, Claire, or Lion.. or something like that.

I'd love for Yasu to just be shown though.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:40   Link #4479
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Wouldn't Yasu just look like Lion? I mean they ARE the same person.

Just Lion in a maid outfit with the same seiyuu would make sense to me.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:41   Link #4480
KoiYuki

Well, they might not be the same person.. some people were discussing that in another thread. I dunno.
Closed Thread