AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-11-13, 11:24   Link #61
zappater
zapper

Enron, just 'cause you have taken your time to post so much here I will quote Jesus, and that is something I don't do often, neither do I enjoy doing so.
But well to quote Jesus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
You shall not lie.
zappater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 11:52   Link #62
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enron
Your reply has nothing to do with Arafat, you just want to criticize the united states.

Rwanda - WHERE IS THE UNITED NATIONS?
Concerning the problems in Rwanda and Congo (they are linked). There was a UN Peacekeeping force presen in Rwanda from 1994 to 1996 to restore peace after the genocide that occured. Rwanda has been politically stable since the time after the elections were won by Paul Kagame (sp?). He is now firmly in control. There are however serious border issues and problems with Congo, Rwanda is blamed (and there is proof of it) that it supports rebel groups in Congo, Rwanda uses these to steal resources from Congo.

About Congo, the region in which the rebels supported by Rwanda are active, currently has UN troops present to protect to refugees from the Rebels. The situation is still not resolved however. At current there is only one Western European country which is investing alot of time and money into stabilising the conflict and trying to achieve peace and that is Belgium (those are our former colonies which is the reason we are involved) although France is often lending a helping had too.

Quote:
Cambodia - WHERE IS THE UNITED NATIONS?
The Un was present in Cambodja for several years after a peace treaty was achieved. It also has several programs running to aid the population and to remove land mines. Surre there probably are still some rebels running around but the situation has much improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron
Its pointless because some of you refuse to stay on topic, and just degenerate into US-bashing in your defense of this Monster.

Having Bush re-elected was worth it, if only just to see the whining and crying of people like you. Keep it up, it warms my cold, black, evil republican soul.
Yes Arafat did a number of horrible things and he's far from a saint. But the other side in this conflict is no better. Raiding a city with tank and bulldozers, shooting down people with rockets launched from helicopters (shooting IN crowds of people even), random shooting at anyone coming within a certain range of a checkpost or fence, can't that be called terrorism as well (state terrorism is the official term I believe)

At this time it doesn't matter who started it, the conflict has been going on for decades, what matters is who is gonna solve it, who will take the first step to peace. Sharon leaving the Gaza Strip might be that opportuniy, the palestinian leaders uniting after Arafats death and trying to open a negotiation might be the first step, ... Calling each other terrorists, criminals, using bulldozers, building a "berlin" wall, suicide bombing aren't a first step.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 15:16   Link #63
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah

The Un was present in Cambodja for several years after a peace treaty was achieved. It also has several programs running to aid the population and to remove land mines. Surre there probably are still some rebels running around but the situation has much improved.
I was in Cambodia this pass april, it's has achieve peace, but the peace seems to be unreal. The government recieves funds from many countries but those funds do not go to the ppl, it goes to the corrupt government officials pocket. If the election turns out the other way against the incumbent leader (Hun Sen), he (Hun Sen) would use millitary force to keep power, I wish the world would enforce true election results in Cambodia, as they are doin in Afganistan. Cambodia claims to be a democracy but it's a totalitarian state in its truest form.

K back to Israel and Palestines, I totally agrees that it's not who started it, it's who will stop it, thats the key to end the conflict.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 17:10   Link #64
Enron
Banned

Once again Bun-Kun would rather argue about my politics than about Arafat. Typical. "If you can't refute someone's argument, redirect to something else".

And as far as Rwanda and Cambodia are concerned, like i said, if the rest of you were so concerned about them, where are the massive deployments of troops?

You realize that all the violence and mass murders took place WHILE the UN had a nominal peacekeeping force in the country, right? If the United Nations cared where the blackhearted Americans didn't, then surely they would have sent more troops, right? Right?
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 17:24   Link #65
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-kun
I was in Cambodia this pass april, it's has achieve peace, but the peace seems to be unreal. The government recieves funds from many countries but those funds do not go to the ppl, it goes to the corrupt government officials pocket. If the election turns out the other way against the incumbent leader (Hun Sen), he (Hun Sen) would use millitary force to keep power, I wish the world would enforce true election results in Cambodia, as they are doin in Afganistan. Cambodia claims to be a democracy but it's a totalitarian state in its truest form.
I stand corrected
I base my knowledge on news from several sources (tv internet and newspapers) but I've never really been there so I was unaware that it is evolving into a totalitarian state.

Quote:
And as far as Rwanda and Cambodia are concerned, like i said, if the rest of you were so concerned about them, where are the massive deployments of troops?
There is one thing you should remember about the UN Peacekeepers.
1. UN Peacekeepers can only be sent if the nation it's being sent to agrees to recieve them!
2. about massive deployment UN Peacekeepers usually have no more that a few 1000 men, the reason is simple: they are there to assist conversion to a new situation not to take control of it.

Quote:

You realize that all the violence and mass murders took place WHILE the UN had a nominal peacekeeping force in the country, right? If the United Nations cared where the blackhearted Americans didn't, then surely they would have sent more troops, right? Right?
At the time of the Rwanda Genocide, Belgium had troops present but the days before the genocide 10 belgian marines got murdered by the masses. Now, understand that our country had never lost a single soldier, so this was extremely shocking to our nation, as a result the people , who supported the deployment at first, demanded the troops to be pulled out.

I agree that the UN at the time should have intervened, many errors have been made there, but remember a few 1000 soldiers can't stop mobs of hundred of thousands.

My apologies about the off-topic post...
Old 2004-11-15, 02:07   Link #66
Enron
Banned

Quote:
I stand corrected
I base my knowledge on news from several sources (tv internet and newspapers) but I've never really been there so I was unaware that it is evolving into a totalitarian state.

There is one thing you should remember about the UN Peacekeepers.
1. UN Peacekeepers can only be sent if the nation it's being sent to agrees to recieve them!
2. about massive deployment UN Peacekeepers usually have no more that a few 1000 men, the reason is simple: they are there to assist conversion to a new situation not to take control of it.

At the time of the Rwanda Genocide, Belgium had troops present but the days before the genocide 10 belgian marines got murdered by the masses. Now, understand that our country had never lost a single soldier, so this was extremely shocking to our nation, as a result the people , who supported the deployment at first, demanded the troops to be pulled out.

I agree that the UN at the time should have intervened, many errors have been made there, but remember a few 1000 soldiers can't stop mobs of hundred of thousands.

My apologies about the off-topic post...
Well, his point was "WHERE WERE THE AMERICANS" ..... I responded with "WHERE WAS THE REST OF THE WORLD", and he said that OTHER UN Nations sent peacekeepers, they cared where the Americans didn't. Unfortunately, he forgot to mention that the UN "cared" so much that the force they sent was barely large enough to hold a soccer match.

If the rest of the world doesn't care, they have NO RIGHT to criticize the United States for not intervening as well.
Old 2004-11-15, 07:44   Link #67
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Unfortunately, he forgot to mention that the UN "cared" so much that the force they sent was barely large enough to hold a soccer match..
Read my above post :
1. UN Peacekeepers never have more than a couple 1000 troops because they are not there to take control but to assist an ongoing transition or to help stabilise.

2. UN Peacekeepers cannot be sent unless the government of the country they are sent to agrees to take them. This government also has to agree on the number of troops. So even if we wanted to send 100 000 troops, if that government only allows 500 we can't send a single extra soldier...

To get back on topic:

It seems that the struggle for power in the Palestinian Territories has started. During a mourning ceremony held for Arafat in the Gaza Strip, there was an attempt by extremeists to kill Interim PLO Leader Abbas, the attempt was unsuccesful but this illustrates the instability of the region ...

Also it has been decided that the elections for a new Palestinian president will be held on 10th of jaunary 2005. Out of the several candidates, there is also one remarquable one : Marwan Barghouti, the leader of Fatah on the West Bank, he is extremely popular on the streets, more popular than any of the other candidates, the problem is, he's currently in an Israeli jail. I wonder what Israel will do if he gets elected.
This scenario is not unreal, considering most other candidates don't have a big popularity on the streets.

On a side note, Israel is allready having a heated discussion about these elections. The minister of State doesn't want Palestinians in East-Jerusalem to be allowed to vote, but so far Sharon isn't against it yet (East-Jerusalem is occupied by Israel btw)

As far as the Israeli's go, they would probably prefer Abbas to become the new president, he a more moderate figure and isn't linked to fatah, al-aqsa etc as Arafat was, so he would be acceptable to negotiate with. On the other hand he'd have a very weak negotiating position which can lead problems, will the palestinians in the street accept any agreement he signs ...
Old 2004-11-15, 09:53   Link #68
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Yeah, Israel broke tons of UN resolutions ~ more than 65 since the last time I read. Each of them are for condemning, or deploring the actions of the Israelis or requesting a withdrawal of some sort. By the same token, the UN has never slapped the Palestinians with ANY resolutions ~ nothing to encourage them to stop their attacks on Israel. Not even ONE resolution against the Palestinians...

Quote:
Lol you know how many U.N resolution Israel broke? But you don't want to hear that. Arafat did what he can to fight for his country, in which he was chased out from. Palestine does not have the U.S weapons Israel does, so they resort to doing something that they feel works. Do I support there action, no. But I can understand where Arafat comes from. You would do the same if you were pushed into the corner. lol I like how you republicans seems to understand what god really when Jesus clearly speak of peace and compassion, and hey heres one forgiveness. Death penalty implement more, there something you would never hear out of the mouth of Jesus too.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 10:46   Link #69
zappater
zapper

Dragonz20
I think it is hard for the UN to slapp the Palestinians with any resolution 'cause the Palestinians don't have their own country.
Old 2004-11-15, 11:03   Link #70
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
Yeah, Israel broke tons of UN resolutions ~ more than 65 since the last time I read. Each of them are for condemning, or deploring the actions of the Israelis or requesting a withdrawal of some sort. By the same token, the UN has never slapped the Palestinians with ANY resolutions ~ nothing to encourage them to stop their attacks on Israel. Not even ONE resolution against the Palestinians...
lol when Palestines becomes a state then maybe they can be slap a few resolution or two, and I hope they will if the resolution paves way for peace.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 12:52   Link #71
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Congratulations. You figured out one of the key factors in this conflict. No one has recognized them as a state but if they got their act together and acted as one, then maybe countries will start dealing with them accordingly. But there is and has always been a power struggle within the Palestininans. The death of Arafat, although tragic to some, is a chance for a new leadership that can end this conflict. The Israelis have been willing to compromise for a decade or so already. They want peace. But there is no chance of negotiating one if the other side doesn't have a government that can control all the different factions that exists among them and cease the violence. I have yet to have heard or read about a report of Israeli troops attacking without orders. And when they do, they specificially target terrorist they deem dangerous. But when the Palestininians strike, it's usually against innocent bystanders and it's supposedly never with the blessing of Arafat. It takes two to dance and the Palestinians needs to get their act together. This one of the reasons why Bush didn't bother dealing with this issue. It was a moot point since Clinton tried it for 8 years without any success.

as to the UN resolutions ~ they're absolutely laughable. The UN is a joke. All they do is pass resolutions that don't do squat and they rarely ever enforce it.
A bunch of countries sitting around arguing left and right. worthless...

Quote:
lol when Palestines becomes a state then maybe they can be slap a few resolution or two, and I hope they will if the resolution paves way for peace.
Old 2004-11-15, 13:34   Link #72
zappater
zapper

Dragonz20, fact is that the Israelis kill innocent in awfully great numbers.
Show me were the Israelis have made any peace offer that people should recognize as something serious, that the Palestinians gain anything on and that comes out 50/50 to both sides.
And while the military may not have attack anything without orders, that doesn't say that the orders never were aimed to destroy for the Palestinian civilians.

One more thing, there does not EXIST an Palestinian state, they got PLO, fatah and Hamas, but none of them are a real state, they are organisations that try to make a Palestinian state.
Old 2004-11-15, 14:13   Link #73
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Show you? Just read all Bill Clinton's work during his Presidency. For a while, many of us thought they were progressing towards peace. Negotiations were being held with Clinton as the mediator but it always ended up in utter failure. and it always started with one or two suicide bombers. then the israelis would get angry and pull off their deal and they would all go at it again.

and I never said that the Palestinian state existed. If there is no true government controlling the area, then how can there be a state? The fact is, as long as there are so many different groups vying for control and doing whatever they want whenever they want, there will never be a Palestininan state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappater
Show me were the Israelis have made any peace offer that people should recognize as something serious, that the Palestinians gain anything on and that comes out 50/50 to both sides.
And while the military may not have attack anything without orders, that doesn't say that the orders never were aimed to destroy for the Palestinian civilians.

One more thing, there does not EXIST an Palestinian state, they got PLO, fatah and Hamas, but none of them are a real state, they are organisations that try to make a Palestinian state.
Old 2004-11-15, 14:16   Link #74
Enron
Banned

Quote:

Oh this is rich. The Israeli govt gives orders to KILL PALESTINIAN CIVILIANS.

IDF Army Commander : "Let's go kill us some a-rabs!"
IDF Company: "SIR YES SIR!"

yeah right.

Your one-sided view of this conflict leaves me absolutely dumbstruck. The fact is, if Palestinians could ever get over their own culture of "revenge", and wouldn't fight stupidly, they wouldn't die in such large numbers. Mobs assualt Israeli positions with rocks and molotov cocktails; israeli soldiers return fire with assualt rifles. Who do you think is going to win?

The reason this all happens is this;

1. Palestinians are pissed off over treatment
2. Israel offers compromise with Palestinian authority; PA gives them the cold shoulder.
3. Palestinians get angry, suicide bombers blow up Israeli markets, etc.
4. Israel retaliates against terror leaders with helicopter strikes on their homes, cars, etc., resulting in additional casualties.
5. Palestinians pack the streets, clamoring for VENGEANCE, and more israeli citizens are killed in retaliation.

The Israeli govt does not specifically target random palestinian civilians. However, Israeli civilians are the Palestinians' target of choice.

Here's an interesting snippet from an World Tribune article on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from 2000-2002.

-----------------------------------

The institute, part of the Interdisciplinary Center and which cooperates with Western governments on the issue of counter-terrorism, reported that most of the Palestinian casualties were what the report deemed combatants.

The study said 617 out of those Palestinians killed were noncombatants, a majority of the victims. In contrast, 417 of Israeli casualties, or 80 percent, comprised noncombatants.

The study said 203 Palestinians, one of out every eight casualties, were killed by Palestinians themselves. They also include Palestinians killed in assembling bombs for suicide attacks against Israel.

Most palestinians killed in 2000-2002 by israeli forces were COMBATANTS. 80% of Israeli casualties killed by Palestinians were NON-COMBATANTS. What does that tell you?
Old 2004-11-15, 14:34   Link #75
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Thank you for providing a bit of researched data. I was going to do it but I was a bit lazy.

The sad thing about is that they (Palestinians) are nurtured to create violence. They teach their young children in school to hate Israelis, glorify martyrs, and seek the "liberation" of all of Palestine including Israel. Their school books don't even acknowledge Israel or the fact that peace is an option. They are raising their children to hate and it festers and passes along to the next generation and so on and it shows.

Quote:
Oh this is rich. The Israeli govt gives orders to KILL PALESTINIAN CIVILIANS.

IDF Army Commander : "Let's go kill us some a-rabs!"
IDF Company: "SIR YES SIR!"

yeah right.

Your one-sided view of this conflict leaves me absolutely dumbstruck. The fact is, if Palestinians could ever get over their own culture of "revenge", and wouldn't fight stupidly, they wouldn't die in such large numbers. Mobs assualt Israeli positions with rocks and molotov cocktails; israeli soldiers return fire with assualt rifles. Who do you think is going to win?

The reason this all happens is this;

1. Palestinians are pissed off over treatment
2. Israel offers compromise with Palestinian authority; PA gives them the cold shoulder.
3. Palestinians get angry, suicide bombers blow up Israeli markets, etc.
4. Israel retaliates against terror leaders with helicopter strikes on their homes, cars, etc., resulting in additional casualties.
5. Palestinians pack the streets, clamoring for VENGEANCE, and more israeli citizens are killed in retaliation.

The Israeli govt does not specifically target random palestinian civilians. However, Israeli civilians are the Palestinians' target of choice.

Here's an interesting snippet from an World Tribune article on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from 2000-2002.

The institute, part of the Interdisciplinary Center and which cooperates with Western governments on the issue of counter-terrorism, reported that most of the Palestinian casualties were what the report deemed combatants.

The study said 617 out of those Palestinians killed were noncombatants, a majority of the victims. In contrast, 417 of Israeli casualties, or 80 percent, comprised noncombatants.

The study said 203 Palestinians, one of out every eight casualties, were killed by Palestinians themselves. They also include Palestinians killed in assembling bombs for suicide attacks against Israel.

Most palestinians killed in 2000-2002 by israeli forces were COMBATANTS. 80% of Israeli casualties killed by Palestinians were NON-COMBATANTS. What does that tell you?
Old 2004-11-15, 14:45   Link #76
zappater
zapper

Enron, I never said that they did order to kill Palestinians.
Old 2004-11-15, 16:02   Link #77
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Enron, I never said that they did order to kill Palestinians.

Quote:
True, you didn't say it outright, but you did strongly suggest it...
Old 2004-11-15, 21:53   Link #78
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Out of the several candidates, there is also one remarquable one : Marwan Barghouti, the leader of Fatah on the West Bank, he is extremely popular on the streets, more popular than any of the other candidates, the problem is, he's currently in an Israeli jail. I wonder what Israel will do if he gets elected.
Israel will have a lot of fun with a puppet leader. That could be a lot of fun if you did it right...he could do the national address live from his cell while Israeli guards poke him w/ stun rods everytime he says something they don't like....
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 13:03   Link #79
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Israel will have a lot of fun with a puppet leader. That could be a lot of fun if you did it right...he could do the national address live from his cell while Israeli guards poke him w/ stun rods everytime he says something they don't like....
Actually the current situation is very favorable for Israel. The main Palestinian leaders are dead. Hesbollah was whiped out of existence, Hamas' military and religious leader are dead, and these two were really the ones in control in the Gaza Strip.
The leader of Fatah on the West Bank in an Israeli prison, a weak figure at the top of Fatah, the PLO and the Al-Aqsa Brigades, and some of the leading figures of Islamic Jihad have been wacked as well recently.
The only one remaining with power was Arafat, now that he's dead there are only a few guys left who have no more than a minimal support at most.

This situation is perfect for a "divide and rule" strategy, Israel can pretty much do whatever it wants while Palestinian groups struggle for some power.

Such a strategy would lead to decreased attacks on Israel, since Israel can really get a firm grip on the remaining Palestinian territories with no one to oppose them, and the militant palestinians will mostly be fighting each other rather than israel.

This strategy also have a serious negative side however : The Palestinian in-fighting could lead to a serious civil war in the Palestinian Territories. This scenario is not that likely since Israel has a pretty firm grip on most Palestine Cities (in case you didn't know, many cities are locked down and transport in and out is restricted). These restrictions would keep any explosive situation lacalised

The bigger disadvantage is that without a Palestinian Leader, Israel can't sign any peace agreements. A puppet leader wouldn't do since his treaties with israel would never be recognised on the street, while the ones Arafat signed mostly were accepted.
And if after a long power struggle a new leder would arise, he is very likely to be very anti-Israel which means peace is even further away...
Old 2004-11-17, 04:25   Link #80
genmac

Quote:
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"
I heard an Israeli diplomat on a British radio show the other day, who had an interesting reply to the above quote:

"A freedom fighter does not target civilians. There are real freedom fighters in this world, and none of them live in Palestine."
genmac is offline   Reply With Quote