AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 22:32   Link #201
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

El Cazador de la Bruja Sounds like a big cheep drink you get in mexico on spring break
Old 2013-02-08, 22:44   Link #202
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
El Cazador de la Bruja Sounds like a big cheep drink you get in mexico on spring break
Means "The Witch Hunter"

Though it very well may be a Mexican spring break drink, not sure?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 23:01   Link #203
mistress_kisara

xxxHolic what's with the xxx? Or did CLAMP explain this?
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 00:14   Link #204
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ It's actually simply "Holic". The xXx is a mistaken romanization of the title.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 00:24   Link #205
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I really hate tittle with a name as the tittle, unless it purposely do it to emphasis a certain character (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for e.g).

I especially hate it when the name coming from something that the characters make up during the story. Not anime, but "Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix" are the worst offender. Then Fairy Tail. And despite i loved the manga, i will be seriously disappointed if "One Piece" is some stupid weapons that D Roger randomly call it " One Piece"
Old 2013-02-09, 00:54   Link #206
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Code Geass, i saw every episode, and i did not see one damn goose in it!!! i felt cheated
Old 2013-02-09, 01:09   Link #207
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You didn't want to goose C.C.?
Old 2013-02-09, 02:46   Link #208
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I really hate tittle with a name as the tittle, unless it purposely do it to emphasis a certain character (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for e.g).
What heretic on this Earth doesn't like AKIRA?
Old 2013-02-09, 02:49   Link #209
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Mangirl anyone? I know that it is not half man/ half girl
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 03:13   Link #210
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Mangirl anyone? I know that it is not half man/ half girl
This is really just a pun that does not work at all in English. That said, I'm not sure why they went with "Mangirl" instead of "Mangal", because at least the latter still has "Manga" in it (to preserve the effect). It still isn't particularly good, but Mangirl is indeed much worse, IMO. It's quite possible this is just one of those cases where the publisher chose the English title and told the English distributors that they had no choice... possibly much to their chagrin.
Old 2013-02-09, 07:22   Link #211
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
To-Love-Ru

It may means as “Trouble” in Japanese but once they romanize it, the title became strange and doesn’t make any sense.
And this matters why?

The manga was never intended for non-Japanese in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
I love these two anime but I have to admit Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Fist of the North Star couldn't sound any more cheesier if you watched them eating a cheese pizza.
That's completely the fault of the Western culture, the original titles are not the offender.
Titles like these sound perfectly fine in Asian cultures, same with in Chinese.

銀河英雄伝説、北斗の拳、銀河戦国群雄伝ライ、龍狼伝、封神演義、天地無用、攻殻機動隊、蒼天 航路、
内閣権力犯罪強制取締官 財前丈太郎、etc.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-02-09 at 07:33.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 07:26   Link #212
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Another > don't get me wrong. Why Another? Why not The Other or The Extra. Does it meant another curse or another person?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 09:03   Link #213
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Another > don't get me wrong. Why Another? Why not The Other or The Extra. Does it meant another curse or another person?
I have a feeling that this and a lot of other titles are just cute-sounding (at least to native JPN) Engrish titles.

Foreign words sound cool when you don't know what they mean or not fluent.
Old 2013-02-09, 09:24   Link #214
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Foreign words sound cool when you don't know what they mean or not fluent.
LOL So true.
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 12:30   Link #215
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Denpa Onna's english title

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl

they made it sound like Erio's taking drugs or is from a mental hospital or something

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 12:37   Link #216
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
Denpa Onna's english title

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl

they made it sound like Erio's taking drugs or is from a mental hospital or something
lol I like how they made Denpa Onna Psychoelectric Girl, so why did they change "Seishun Otoko" so much?? Unless there's another pun I'm missing.

Another dumb English only title, Mangagamer's Higurashi When They Cry. It'd be fine to either keep it Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Or change the whole thing to When the Cicadas Cry. Or just change it to When They Cry to keep it open to the later Koro ni titles. Or just call it Higurashi, because god knows the only people who would dare buy their translation already know the games by just Higurashi. Instead they make the stupid decision to half translate it, then write it in this poopoo Englishy way. Higurashi When They Cry?? No colon?? Why? And who is "They" in that phrase?? Even When the Higurashi Cry would be better, though it would still suck.

Either translate the whole thing, or don't translate anything and just transliterate it. There's a difference between preserving untranslatable language differences and being lazy. Don't do that.
Old 2013-02-09, 12:54   Link #217
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And this matters why?

The manga was never intended for non-Japanese in the first place.
Yes, I know that, thank you very much. But please read the first post in the first page. This thread is meant for us to mention titles we consider worst. So, doesn't matter if the manga-anime was made without non-Japanese in mind, if I consider the title is bad (with enough reason) then I can mention it here like everybody else.

And this matters to you why?
Old 2013-02-09, 12:56   Link #218
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I actually liked the pun in To-love-Ru, more than the serie itself though. Atleast it was more creative than most other shounen jump manga titles such as Naruto, Death Note, One piece etc. or the current trend of LN's with long titles
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 13:14   Link #219
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Another dumb English only title, Mangagamer's Higurashi When They Cry. It'd be fine to either keep it Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Or change the whole thing to When the Cicadas Cry. Or just change it to When They Cry to keep it open to the later Koro ni titles. Or just call it Higurashi, because god knows the only people who would dare buy their translation already know the games by just Higurashi. Instead they make the stupid decision to half translate it, then write it in this poopoo Englishy way. Higurashi When They Cry?? No colon?? Why? And who is "They" in that phrase?? Even When the Higurashi Cry would be better, though it would still suck.

Either translate the whole thing, or don't translate anything and just transliterate it. There's a difference between preserving untranslatable language differences and being lazy. Don't do that.
it's all according to keikaku!

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 13:56   Link #220
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
lol I like how they made Denpa Onna Psychoelectric Girl, so why did they change "Seishun Otoko" so much?? Unless there's another pun I'm missing.

That was exactly my opinion on the Mangagamer's Higurashi title, its like they tried to translate it and not translate it at the same time! In my opinion, the best option would be just to leave the title as Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

Also, I never got why they called it the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Melancholy typically refers to sadness, despair, the complete opposite of Haruhi's personality.

I never saw this, but a few yearss back there was an anime called Legend of the Legendary Heroes. According to a Japanese-speaking friend, the title was just as redundant in Japanese.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote