AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-23, 16:42   Link #61
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Well to be fair, the manga's foreign title is Tokyo Magnitude 8, and this anime's full title is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I know, it's just schematics, but there's definitely a difference, so it's not exactly the same. It's very likely the title just sounds compelling enough that two different people decided to use it.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 22:11   Link #62
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

I'm on. If it's bones, it's good... Sort of.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 00:01   Link #63
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Well to be fair, the manga's foreign title is Tokyo Magnitude 8, and this anime's full title is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I know, it's just schematics, but there's definitely a difference, so it's not exactly the same. It's very likely the title just sounds compelling enough that two different people decided to use it.
I would agree if "8" was the top of the scale but it's not. "magnitude 9" is not even that rare, it happens once every 20 year somewhere in the world (according to wiki) so it is well possible to be used as the key event of a story. So why "8"? The only possible explanation is that in the manga it is stated that the earthquake magnitude was 8.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 01:42   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I would agree if "8" was the top of the scale but it's not. "magnitude 9" is not even that rare, it happens once every 20 year somewhere in the world (according to wiki) so it is well possible to be used as the key event of a story. So why "8"? The only possible explanation is that in the manga it is stated that the earthquake magnitude was 8.
The problem with the Richter scale is that it fails to account for duration. An extended 8.0 can do more damage than a quick 8.5, for example. A mere 5.0 in a earthquake codeless district or a neighborhood sitting on a thousand feet of sand (think marina district) can utterly destroy the buildings on it.
Old 2009-04-24, 01:53   Link #65
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well yeah, but that's not the point ^^;;; The point is in both cases they used the same value, even if it's written differently (8 and 8.0) it is still the same thing, and there is no real need to use "8".

Anyway if you prefer there's the Mercalli intensity scale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercalli_intensity_scale

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 05:06   Link #66
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Bones and disasters?

Boo. I love Bones, but I hate disaster thematics . It's like the easiest way out of (crappy) character development.

At least don't make it like The Day After Tomorrow... please. Pretty please?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 10:26   Link #67
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, they could have used another value like 9. But 2 titles with a value of 8 is suspicious.
Old 2009-04-26, 10:34   Link #68
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Yeah, they could have used another value like 9. But 2 titles with a value of 8 is suspicious.
Maybe they just liked the sound/looks of it.

Tokyo Magnitude 9.0 doesn't look and sound too different, but what do we know?
Old 2009-04-26, 13:01   Link #69
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Tokyo Magnitude 9 wouldn't be about survivors in an earthquake, it would be about a mass grave. :P
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 10:28   Link #70
yura`

Lol. In any case, I'm definitely intrigued by this, and am hopping onboard too! Bones never disappoint too much, and the premise of this anime is a refreshing change from the norm.
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 11:00   Link #71
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The reason for using magnitude 8.0 is probably because the Great Kanto Earthquake that rocked Tokyo in 1923 was 7.9.
I assume the premise is what if the same Earthquake happened again.
Old 2009-06-13, 20:57   Link #72
Bananawaffles

The preview felt more like it was going to be a movie than just a show. I'm so excited for this!!!
Bananawaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 12:42   Link #73
E_I
Yuri fan

http://www.tokyo-m8.com/

PV up, but it has Eden of the East before it. Weird.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 15:45   Link #74
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
http://www.tokyo-m8.com/

PV up, but it has Eden of the East before it. Weird.
The embedded PV is like that, but click the "PV" banner at the lower right for a fuller PV. Or go to the same thing on YouTube.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 23:16   Link #75
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm on board for this show and I have set very mild expectations, which is surprising considering that I think very highly of BONES as a studio.

If this was Hollywood making a disaster movie or the likes, I'd just shake my head. However, the animated medium of Japan may be able to show another limelight to this topic. Instead of getting things like The Day After Tomorrow, perhaps it will have real substance.

But, I am not going to be getting too ahead of myself here. I hope to hear soon from this show... Does anyone know when it is airing?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 00:04   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm on board for this show and I have set very mild expectations, which is surprising considering that I think very highly of BONES as a studio.

If this was Hollywood making a disaster movie or the likes, I'd just shake my head. However, the animated medium of Japan may be able to show another limelight to this topic. Instead of getting things like The Day After Tomorrow, perhaps it will have real substance.

But, I am not going to be getting too ahead of myself here. I hope to hear soon from this show... Does anyone know when it is airing?
Thursday morning at 12:45, Tokyo time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 00:12   Link #77
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thursday morning at 12:45, Tokyo time.
Curious way to say Friday morning at 1:00 am. Or Thursday night I suppose.
http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1688
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 05:14   Link #78
Fuze

This is the title I am looking forward to the most this season, just because I'm a sucker for shows that are part of the Noitamina programming block. Well, that's not the only reason.. Bones along with this concept just seem to standout in my eyes. My expectation is pretty high for this title and I'm pretty confident that I won't be let down. I'll be anxiously waiting for the first episode tomorrow(?).
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 06:40   Link #79
klare

this looks like a serious and realistic show, looking forward for it
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 07:19   Link #80
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Promising or not I'm prepared for disappointment. These sort of series are always hit or miss.

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy