Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-08, 12:14   Link #18941
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The most ironic thing I can think of would be yaoi.
Actually that might be so. In the ancient times, their mortal enemies, the Spartans, segregate both sexes until homosexuality spawned in their military.

Since both leaders have been raised to believe that copulation is not allowed before marriage, they might partake in *ahem* sessions to satiafy their sexual lust.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:25   Link #18942
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Defying the odds of medicine
Few would contest that Prof Stephen Hawking is an incredible man.

I congratulate the Professor's 70th birthday and his long contribution to science.
Old 2012-01-08, 16:41   Link #18943
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Defying the odds of medicine
Few would contest that Prof Stephen Hawking is an incredible man.

I congratulate the Professor's 70th birthday and his long contribution to science.
Given that my uncle died from ALS only two years after the first symptoms came (numbness in his toe), Hawkings still living almost 50 years later is quite amazing indeed.

And aside form that, he's made tremendous contributions to the science community, and I think he's being justly rewarded for that. Too bad the man himself can't make it.
Old 2012-01-08, 16:57   Link #18944
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually that might be so. In the ancient times, their mortal enemies, the Spartans, segregate both sexes until homosexuality spawned in their military.

Since both leaders have been raised to believe that copulation is not allowed before marriage, they might partake in *ahem* sessions to satiafy their sexual lust.
Yeah, I know. It's all that Reaction Formation and stuff. Not that I usually subscribe to the psychodynamic model, but it would certainly be amusing here...

Anyway...
Arab League renews calls to end violence:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16458341

I wasn't particularly optimistic of the Arab League achieving much but I'm still rather disappointed that the only thing they could achieve is prove how utterly useless they are...

Last edited by Haak; 2012-01-08 at 17:11.
Old 2012-01-08, 17:43   Link #18945
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The question might be if they want to archive something. Some of them know than someday they might in Damas's position, and that might temper their willingness to act .
Old 2012-01-08, 20:08   Link #18946
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

To be fair Arab League had suspended Syria's membership. They don't have much in their arsenal to force Assad to back down. Military intervention is out of question. Sanctions are limited to Western countries because Russia and China are blocking everything in UN Security Council.
Old 2012-01-08, 20:49   Link #18947
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran to launch nuclear work in bunker in "near future"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80706S20120108

Venezuela will not recognize World Bank ruling in Exxon case
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80701V20120108
Old 2012-01-09, 13:54   Link #18948
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Anwar Ibrahim acquitted of sodomy in Malaysia
Viewpoint: Anwar acquittal boosts Malaysia's opposition

Now that's over, will Anwar and the opposition win against the current ruling parties in the next Malaysian Elections?
Old 2012-01-09, 16:03   Link #18949
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Anwar Ibrahim acquitted of sodomy in Malaysia
Viewpoint: Anwar acquittal boosts Malaysia's opposition

Now that's over, will Anwar and the opposition win against the current ruling parties in the next Malaysian Elections?
I don't think it really matters. Malaysia's politics are becoming more and more populist with each one since the late 1990s. I have yet to see any party raise concerns about the budget deficit along with the debt-to-GDP ratio.

Meanwhile the floor traders on both sides of the causeway are squirming at the thought of FDI pulling out......I don't think the Malaysian government can blame George Soros or "Jewish bankers" again this time round, can they?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-01-09, 20:45   Link #18950
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Swiss central bank chief quits over wife's currency deal
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8080RK20120109
Old 2012-01-09, 22:35   Link #18951
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Quote:
"I tell you now: we will not recognize any decision by ICSID," Chavez said during a televised speech. He has repeatedly accused the U.S. oil major of using unfair deals in the past to "rob" the South American OPEC member of its resources.

"They are immoral ... How much could they steal in 50 years? Who would dare launch this madness without any foundation? They wanted $12 billion. From where, compadre?" he said.

"We are not going to bow before imperialism and its tentacles, understand that ... They are trying the impossible: to get us to pay them. We are not going to pay them anything."
I usually don't side with Chavez, but he really did do a good thing by ignoring the world bank, an entity that has impoverished many countries all the over world. Exon is sitting on almost a trillion dollar profit, screw them I say

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2012-01-10 at 00:29.
Old 2012-01-09, 23:19   Link #18952
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I usually don't side with Chavez, but he really did do a good thing by ignoring the world bank, an entity that has impoverished many countries all the over world. Exon is sitting on almost a trillion dollar profit, screw them have it I say
Unless Exxon is on verge of bankrupt and need the cashes to pay for workers' salaries, otherwise i agree with this

Feel sorry for the investor, but investment oversea is always risky after all.
Old 2012-01-09, 23:41   Link #18953
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the question would be what the ruling is for. Sounds like it is suppose to be the cost of the equipment Chavez took over when he nationalized the oil industry. Though it might be inflated to add lost profits between then and now...though 12 billion does not sound like lost profits in a trillion dollar industry.

On the other hand, wasn't something like this why Iran is like it is today? Oil nationalization and then the West coming in to secure a friendly leader, followed by 20 or more years of things being okay...then 1979 Revolution....now "batshit crazy" Iran as some people call it today. (it is a good things that today it is the Ali Khamenei that call the shots and not their President...for some reason I trust the logic of a Iranian Ayatollah more than their current President when it comes to war. Mayby because his public speechs have been less explosive that the President's)
Old 2012-01-10, 00:01   Link #18954
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Back in the day this would result in Exxon calling in the US Marines or ask the CIA to pull a coup d'etat.

And it would sow the seeds of anti-American hatred for the next twenty years.

So yeah, no sympathy for Exxon. Chavez plays hard, "steals" the investment under the guise of populist nationalization, fair enough, but oil's a cutthroat business and they know exactly who they were dealing with and what they were getting into. Moreover, we also happen to know exactly how far the oil corporations are willing to go to "protect" their "investments" if even a lick of sympathy is given to their cause.
Old 2012-01-10, 01:08   Link #18955
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I am not interested in sending young people out to die for the reckless activities of fat corporate slugs when said reckless activity bites their pasty asses.
Old 2012-01-10, 01:49   Link #18956
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Um really guys? I am not a big fan of oil companies, but this is one clear case of government robbing assets of a legit business. Using anti-Americanism as an excuse does not change the nature of it. Just because the victim is a big corporation does not make it a good decision.
Old 2012-01-10, 03:01   Link #18957
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^How about "we aren't sympathetic with either side, the victim or the perpetrator."

Karma's a bitch, yo.
Old 2012-01-10, 03:08   Link #18958
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The key passage taken from the first of the two referenced BBC articles:
Quote:
Information Minister Rais Yatim said that the verdict showed that judges were free to rule as they saw fit.

"Malaysia has an independent judiciary," he said. "The current wave of bold democratic reforms introduced by Prime Minister Najib Razak will help extend this transparency to all areas of Malaysian life."
A number of analysts have already noted that Datuk Seri Najib stands to gain more from the acquittal than from a guilty verdict against Datuk Seri Anwar. Mr Najib has been putting so much effort into portraying himself as a reformer, such as by proposing the repeal of Malaysia's draconian internal security laws, that a conviction on patently shoddy evidence would have literally screwed his nascent campaign efforts.

The political motives haven't changed. If anything, Malaysian politics has become more sophisticated.
Old 2012-01-10, 04:30   Link #18959
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Um really guys? I am not a big fan of oil companies, but this is one clear case of government robbing assets of a legit business. Using anti-Americanism as an excuse does not change the nature of it. Just because the victim is a big corporation does not make it a good decision.
You're not really familiar with the historical antics of oil companies in South America and other destinations, are you? "legit" is a pretty murky word if it applies to the oil industry.
Old 2012-01-10, 05:01   Link #18960
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Iran to launch nuclear work in bunker in "near future"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80706S20120108

Not surprised with those countries. Like Cuba at the height of Castro's might, they want to show that they have as much clout as the G8 nations, with the ability to manipulate world decisions and affect markets with far-reaching implications, along with the power of oil and nukes.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international