AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-06-08, 02:46   Link #1
ninraven

Wrestling Thread

I used to be a big fan of wrestling, but not really anymore. I'm on the staff of Raven's official website, and if it wasn't for Raven I probably wouldn't even give it a look anymore.

The storylines are pretty much rehash, and it's just really stupid. I guess iv'e watched too much anime with good storylines and characters that wrestling's isn't enough for me.

But are there any fans of it here? I watch NWA:TNA every now and then for Raven, but I won't even touch WWE Raw.
ninraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 03:02   Link #2
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Nothing like watching huge men in spendex or bikinis with a crappy angry act and then replaced by an even crappier fake fight.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 04:28   Link #3
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Nothing like watching huge men in spendex or bikinis with a crappy angry act and then replaced by an even crappier fake fight.
lol... yeah... you're right... anyway I thought the fight was real bec. of those bloody event "sometimes"...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 06:15   Link #4
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Boxing pwnz American pro wrestling.

Now if only instead of just boxing they televised martial arts fights as well.....what glory that would be.
Old 2004-06-08, 07:36   Link #5
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
i've always enjoyed pro-wrestling, its just like watching a never ending T.V show with new characters showing, and wrestlers swinging between good guys and bad guys. the only problem is i haven't watched any event for 5 years.

but i have to agree with Shinova BOXING owns wrestling and i would love it if they showd K-1 or PrideFC or even UFC more on regular T.V
Old 2004-06-08, 08:30   Link #6
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
It's not fake, it's staged. Hey, some of those stunts takes a beating to the body.

I used to be a huge wrestling fan. Always loved Bret Hart, the Excellence of Execution. But as time went by, I kind of lost interest in it. I really lost interest when the WCW folded, and the WWE bought them out. Now the stories are pretty dumb, I find.

I always thought of wrestling as a guy's version of a soap opera. The drama I tell you, the drama!
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 11:59   Link #7
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

It was kinda neato years and years ago with names like Bret Heart. Sean Michaels. Razor Ramone. The undertaker. Yokozuna. Mankind. Lex Lugor. Piper.

Whenever I catch it on now ... I just shake my head and switch to another channel.
Old 2004-06-08, 12:39   Link #8
raikage
日本語を食べません!

*raises hand*

I still watch it - I'm not sure why, because the storylines suck harder than they have ever sucked before. Even Raven (a ceritfied member of Mensa, btw) - his interviews don't feel quite as smart as they did before.

The wrestlers themselves are now pretty athletic. It's not easy to stand there and let someone take a swing at your face - even when you know they're (usually) going to try to not hurt you.

In Mick Foley's first book, he talks about learning to wrestle. He really liked (I believe it was) Terry Funk's left jab - it looked so real!

One day, he was wrestling with Funk and Funk went for that big left hand? The secret to why the hit looked so real? He hit Foley as hard as he could.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 15:31   Link #9
aahhsin

wrestling is one of the greatest shows on earth.

Everyone needs to go to at least 1 live event in their lives, the atmosphere is intense.

I'm starting to like the new wrestlers more then the old ones.

C'mon a fucking IRS official is fighting a trash man?
A clown vs the King?
The sexy Boy vs the Bad guy? (Think of what stereotypically women want)

It was great in the 90s, but now wrestlers have more serious gimmicks. Save some for comic relief.

Now the fueds are bit more realistic.
don't watch it for the fighting watch it for the storyline, it's so dumb it's good.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 17:01   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

raikage ... I think that's just another Mik Foley moment ... If I remember correctly he's the only one to get his ear chopped off. He was also the only guy with a disfigured jaw/half his teeth missing.
Old 2004-06-08, 20:46   Link #11
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

imo... the wwe has fell off in the past few years... a lot of their good talent (like rock, stone cold, brock, etc) have left and there has been mediocre storylines with their current talent... their ratings are crap these days too...

I personally no longer watch wwe television... but I do download the occasional TNA or old ROH or ECW matches... even though there isn't good storylines there... they at least have some solid action... everyone should give those feds a look... the x-division in the past for TNA was stellar with AJ Styles and Low-Ki... for ROH ... Christopher Daniels/American Dragon/Low-Ki triple threat match was damn awesome... and for ECW... well... if you didn't watch ECW in the past... you missed out on some good bloody action... Sabu 4 Life!
Old 2004-06-08, 21:25   Link #12
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

[QUOTE=Iron MonkeyBut as time went by, I kind of lost interest in it. I really lost interest when the WCW folded, and the WWE bought them out. Now the stories are pretty dumb, I find.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...it was like that for me also...when i started college i wasn't able to watch wrestling (wwe) and i guess it was a good thing...cause it was during that time that wwe got all the wcw wrestlers (or at least the popular ones) and became dumb...for some reason i loved wwe but despised wcw...and when those wcw people transfered over...it just started getting lamer and lamer...and to make things exciting they even transfered over the wcw belts so they had like 2 "international" titles or something similar...so yeah...i used to love it...but now i can't even stand watching it...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 13:27   Link #13
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Since the old wrestling thread got casted away. Im posting here.

Woooooo. Friday's Smackdown was nice...

Kurt Angle finally winning the title and it was so freaking sweet......

Loved the way the fans were going "You Suck" when he entered and then "You Won" when he captured the title.

Hopefully Batista will get better...
________
MARIJUANA SEED

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:54.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 19:19   Link #14
shiro83

I watched wrestling a few years back when I had cable TV. To cut costs, my mum (she is paying for it) did away the sports channel and I lost contact with WWE. Gradually over the years I kind of lost interest.

Since then I figured out that most of the 'events' are planned and the wrestlers (managers and referees included) act it out. Wrestling was like a violent drama to me. The various moves got me interested in the first place.

You guys remember the Rock and Sock connection? The part when The Rock banded with Mankind?
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 02:29   Link #15
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
Since the old wrestling thread got casted away. Im posting here.

Woooooo. Friday's Smackdown was nice...

Kurt Angle finally winning the title and it was so freaking sweet......
Did Kurt go back to smackdown?
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 03:38   Link #16
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Well, no one knows for sure. But since he won the title, all i know is that he will be on Raw to face Shawn Micheals for the win of 1-1.

THen he might move to Smackdown, due to the loss of injury of Batista.
________
MEGA CRUISER

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:54.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 07:53   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

Every time I think of going back to watching the WWE, something stupid always happens to make me change my mind. This time it was Edge and Lita's "Live Hot Sex" on Raw. *gag*
Old 2006-01-18, 17:44   Link #18
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Watch Total Nonstop Action or Ring of Honor. They have far better in-ring action than WWE.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 22:04   Link #19
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Watch Total Nonstop Action or Ring of Honor. They have far better in-ring action than WWE.
Never seen RoH, but TNA isn't all that great. WWE can put out great matches when they use their best. TNA's X division looks like they're dancing, and not wrestling.

Take a look at WWE's TLC this monday, that was a good match. With few spots to make it memoriable, and a few moves here and there. They don't need all these fancy slams, trips, and grapples, every three seconds, but make it more realistic with the end needing chops and punches and running out of energy for the slams.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 15:50   Link #20
nejuto-sama

I was a huge WWE Fan watched it practically every week...well not as much as now i don't even watch it anymore
nejuto-sama is offline   Reply With Quote